Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

The demo timer widget shows the accumulated number of recorded in tics which is a bit confusing for newer players:

For example, 10.34 is often confused 10.34 seconds, even though it is actually 10.97.

I think the demo timer should show 10'34 or 10 (34), so people don't confuse it with centiseconds.

Or make it a toggleable: as a default, it should show the time as centiseconds though, but maybe someone prefers tics.

4 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

Is there any way in Crispy Doom to make the game look a little brighter? I really enjoy about everything with this port with the exception of it being rather dark. You can press F11 to increase the gamma, but increasing it too much makes everything look washed out and grey-ish. Is there a way to just increase the brightness and not the gamma?

Test this palette and see if it is an improvement. Otherwise, you may want to check out your monitor settings or your gfx driver settings.

15 hours ago, Looper said:

I think the demo timer should show 10'34 or 10 (34), so people don't confuse it with centiseconds.

The demo timer widget uses the ammo/maxammo font which contains only digits - nothing else.

15 hours ago, Looper said:

Or make it a toggleable: as a default, it should show the time as centiseconds though, but maybe someone prefers tics.

I won't introduce a switch for this, but if you all prefer centiseconds, I can change it to centiseconds, sure.

Please, improve the quick saving\loading. Quick saving should save the game in last used slot instead separate slot. And quick loading should load last save instead slot with last quick save. I hope I explained pretty clear...

One tiny request regarding IDDT cheat code:

it is very useful in speedrunning even though it is not allowed in a real attempt. So I use it when the run fails (iddt twice) to check where some missing enemies were.

The problem:

I have the IDDT cheat code enabled even after I have hit the in-game demo restart button. I think it should reset the cheat code back to normal state, so that the user doesn't have to remember to do it every time.

It is not a big problem for sure, but a bit on the fuzzy side how legit demos are produced in this way. I personally don't give a damn about it, but I want to be fair/clear about it, though. Please, don't completely disable it though as it is useful in speedrunning. Thank you very much!

9 hours ago, seed said:

Pff, 2400fps?

Weak. Not even 9000fps... :D

I want frames OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!

10 hours ago, seed said:

Pff, 2400fps?

Weak. Not even 9000fps... :D

That's just becuase the framerate meter breaks near the 2500 to 3000 number, as it will simply display "3000 FP"

16 hours ago, Dobermann said:

What does that mean if there is no support for other games than Doom anymore?!

This means I won't release them anymore, they will not be part of a Crispy Doom release. They are not actively developed anymore, so there would be many consecutive Crispy Doom releases without a single line of code change in the non-Doom games - which is kind of pointless.

It does not mean, though, that I reject contributions from other authors who want to improve the code. The code is generally kept in an intact state, so if you check out the GIT repository, you can always still build the ports on your own and modify them at will.

15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

You weren't kidding about the uncapped framerate being uncapped huh?

Oh, wow, got a new PC? 2400 FPS is pretty extreme, I think I got around 600-700 FPS last time I checked. You may want to consider enabling VSync to prevent your computer from turning into an electric heating, though.

1 hour ago, fabian said:

Oh, wow, got a new PC? 2400 FPS is pretty extreme, I think I got around 600-700 FPS last time I checked.

It's new-ish (Ryzen 5 2600, gtx980ti), and I cheated a little bit by turning off high resolution rendering :P - when it's on 640*400 it stays in the 700 range. Yes I use a gtx980ti to render a 320*200 game. In fairness, I bought it second hand :P

Funnily enough the game doesn't run at full tilt, my GPU only runs at 25% (which is still fairly high). I wonder what happens if I set "max performance" in the nvidia control panel (MY FRAMES WILL BLOT OUT THE SUN)... But I also can put a framerate cap there, which is what I have done.

Crispy Doom's Vsync does add quite a bunch of input lag for me. A lot of games nowadays work around that by offering a "Do not render frames ahead" option, and I can mess a little bit with the Nvidia control panel (using fast sync, for instance) to get the sync experience without the input lag. So it's one of those things where the people with graphics cards will have the tools to prevent this from happening and the people who don't have graphics cards won't need to since it won't run that fast.

You may want to consider enabling VSync to prevent your computer from turning into an electric heating, though.

Nah that's fine.
Wait, what's that?
afbeelding.png.d5f938aa8bd61f66ad0bb868cf58745d.png
... I'll get back to you

You should get a Freesync or GSync monitor and then bye bye VSync! No input lag, no performance loss ...

3 hours ago, VGA said:

You should get a Freesync or GSync monitor and then bye bye VSync! No input lag, no performance loss ...

$$$

3 hours ago, VGA said:

The GTX980ti does not support freesync displays, and I tend to only replace graphics cards when they can no longer run the games I want to play (which will be a while yet with this one, as you can geuss).

Is it possible to add some (more) save/load conveniences to Crispy? I'm thinking of

Autosaving to the quicksave slot when a map loads

spacebar after death loads quicksave slot rather then a pistol start (if the quicksave is newer then the last map load)
No save/load confirmation (so pressing quicksave instantly quicksaves rather then requiring you to press y/n)

Save slot renaming on quicksave (just like hard saves change name when the map has changed since the last save, which is a really great feature btw)
no quicksave slot selection at all: Just use the earliest unused slot.

Edited by Grizzly

37 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

spacebar after death loads quicksave slot rather then a pistol start (if the quicksave is newer then the last map load)

This is already possible by holding down the "Run" key during resurrection.

37 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

No save/load confirmation (so pressing quicksave instantly quicksaves rather then requiring you to press y/n)

This has been requested before. However, I am still hesitating to change this because it breaks with decades long trained memory muscles.

27 minutes ago, fabian said:

This is already possible by holding down the "Run" key during resurrection.

Oh really!? That's cool. Is that a vanilla thing too or is it a crispy thing?
Is there some sort of list, somewhere, where I can check out all these sexy keyboard commands I know nothing about?

27 minutes ago, fabian said:

This has been requested before. However, I am still hesitating to change this because it breaks with decades long trained memory muscles. 

Can't it be an optional crispness setting?

Edited by Grizzly

It's kinda funny to see how Crispy has grown to offer a bunch of speedrun-friendly features over the past year, they're handy and neat.

Out of curiosity: Would you consider a second-window automap?

I've thought about it working similar to Chocolate's three screen mode: as a "drone" instance that listens to the main player, that is hard-locked to only ever show the automap. I don't know how feasible this approach would be outside of a solo-net session though, maybe there's better/easier options. (Two windows from a single Crispy instance? Makes me wonder how window sizes could be controlled, if integer scaling could be retained, etc)

Doom Retro has its own second-screen automap feature, which might be worth looking into borrowing — although the last time I checked, DR hard-locks the automap into full screen on a second monitor. (DR's lack of multiplayer also limits its usefulness - I'd love to have it for co-op sessions.)

edit: After looking through Doom Retro's automap code, it looks like Brad basically rewrote the automap renderer. Dang it!

Edited by Lollie

Mostly a difference in both synthesizers and soundfonts.

If you have fluidsynth 2.1.0, there is support for the DLS format used by Windows and may give a chance at replicating the sound. The soundfont default on Window's synthesizer is found at /Windows/System32/drivers/gm.dls -- if you copy this to some location on your Linux system, and set a "SDL_SOUNDFONTS" environment variable to this path, you might just get the same instruments as from the default Windows soundfont.

All this is highly variable. If you aren't going out of your way to compile fluidsynth yourself, your distribution might not have a recent enough version or have the dependency (libinstpatch) required to make it work. Also I have no clue how close this is to the General MIDI synthesizer in Windows; Fluidsynth is not GM, even if it can be compatible with the same soundfonts.