Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stomper Beta 2 (Released for preservation sake)

Sokoro said:

I started to play this yesterday and I am having fun, but it is the original unmodified version. Today, I found this thread. Are you still working on this? Can you at least release the beta 2 ?

I don't think it's in a releasable state yet, i'm still waiting for Xaser to finish map20 (whenever that will happen, it's up to him) and I have new map31 still to finish (TNT2/Gamedev keep me busy). Unless you didn't mind those shortcomings, I could release it because otherwise than that, it's quite ready.

Yeah I could always skip the two maps with changemap command (that one which allows you to keep current weapons). I was just worried about this being abandoned. You do not need to release it yet, but if you send me link in private message, I will be glad to get the latest changes.

8 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

oh, i REALLY REALLY hate to revive this thread, but does anyone have a DL link to this? The old one seems to be broken sadly. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad2ijxqj5l1de4m/StomperBeta2.wad?dl=0

This link should last a while (I would suggest that someone backs it up), the latest version I found was the one with uncut map29 (Don't recommend it on UV, it's twice as long) and map30. Before cuts had to be made, for artistic reasons.

Note: I'm reconsidering re-adding the weapon sprites from the older beta, I pinged Nmn about finally releasing this thing, hoping he'll say yes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ni0nigex4sjycm/stomperbeta2.wad?dl=0

stompguns addon: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds5j9refeawwg96/StomperGuns.wad?dl=0

Well here's the Beta 2, it was going to be the release build for Stomper years ago but me and Nmn had a creative disagreement over the end product (also bugs). So things never went anywhere but I suppose it won't hurt to post it here, so it can archived by dsdarchive and other places for preservation sake.

It is playable from start to end across all 32 maps, some maps (as a result of creative difference) became part of Freudian Slipgate. I only took a quick minute to bugfix the missing sky transfers on map28.

Ah I remember this. Played a beta of it and had quite a bit of fun, but I remember getting pulled away from testing the full mapset by a ton of IRL things. Probably Revilution management and then Terraria 24/7 testing work. Its been a long time, I don't remember the exact details. While I wasn't too much use, I hoped I made a little difference.

Sad to hear the fate of it, but at least its out and playable in a finishable form. Will add it to my Doom backlog, which is likely unfinishable in my lifetime by this point x.x  Makes me wonder if I can and should post the updated Mea Culpa beta from Kyka that I have that I was quiet about all these years, given Kyka's disappearance. Hoarding things that others can enjoy has never sat well with me.

2 hours ago, Alter said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ni0nigex4sjycm/stomperbeta2.wad?dl=0

stompguns addon: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds5j9refeawwg96/StomperGuns.wad?dl=0

Well here's the Beta 2, it was going to be the release build for Stomper years ago but me and Nmn had a creative disagreement over the end product (also bugs). So things never went anywhere but I suppose it won't hurt to post it here, so it can archived by dsdarchive and other places for preservation sake.

Much appreciated! I'll try to make dsdarchive store it. Are you aware of idgames upload that simplifies WAD uploading? I would try to upload it myself, but I'm not sure if I can upload someone else's work.

Edited by Dimon12321

Here is my walkthrough. Straight-forward, no messing around, like I'm lost. I was planning to beat the whole wad, but owing to my full-time job and other priorities, I don't know when I will revisit it. Replay file beats, I guess, maps 7-9 as well, so maybe part 2 will happen some day.

stomper-replay-lmp.zip

My overall score is 8/10.

Edited by Dimon12321

I know im bumping an old thread, but i is there a list of track names and their authors? i know at least 1 was made by Jimmy(d_adrian), 1 was used in a different project(d_doom2) and 1 other is a remix of something from chex quest(d_tense)

1 hour ago, Super Benellus said:

I know im bumping an old thread, but i is there a list of track names and their authors? i know at least 1 was made by Jimmy(d_adrian), 1 was used in a different project(d_doom2) and 1 other is a remix of something from chex quest(d_tense)

If you open the wad in SLADE (there might be other ways too) you can see some metadata for most of the tracks, including titles, composer, and sometimes what the track was initially made for. Even with just the first 2 pieces of info it should be possible to find a track's origin (the wiki might help). Just from a glance I can see there are multiple tracks by Jimmy. Here's a rundown of what I could find:

D_ADRIAN "The Ace of Sevens" by Jimmy
D_BETWEE "Control" by Jimmy

D_COUNT2 "Stand by your Friend" by Paul

D_COUNTD "March of Doom" by Paul
D_DDTBL3 "Adrenaline in the Blood" by Jimmy

D_DDTBLU "Parhelion" by Jimmy for Jenerations

D_DEAD "Berserk Time" by PaulZ

D_DEAD2 "Keeper's Keep" by PaulZ

D_DOOM "Riot Squadron" by Jimmy for Machine Shop Duel

D_DOOM2 "Economy of Truth" by Jimmy

D_EVIL "The Battalion Approaches" by Jimmy for TSAT

D_IN_CIT "Descent to Heat" by PaulZ

D_MESSAG "Dark Embraced" by PaulZ

D_MESSG2 "The Fortress" by Paul

D_OPENIN "Must be The Hero!" by PaulZ remix of Turok2 Port of Adia

D_READ_M "Red Dawn" by Paul, for R-1

D_ROMER2 "The Crypts" by Paul

D_ROMERO "Here Lived The Damned" by Paul

D_RUNNI2 "Spectral Cybernetics" by Jimmy

D_RUNNIN "Rezz Rockrabbit" by Paul

D_SHAWN "Into The Furnace" by Jimmy

D_SHAWN2 "The Drunk Mastermind" by PaulZ

D_SHAWN3 "Icarus Map 15" by Dave "Tolwyn" Shaw redux by PaulZ

D_STALKS  "Gun-Walkin' #2" by Paul NMN (Bass line from Spear of Destiny)

D_STLKS2 "War Starts Here" by PaulZee

D_STLKS3 "Glorious Struggle" by Paul

D_TENSE "Settlement" by Jimmy (This is a remix of the music track that accompanies Level 3 of Chex Quest 3.)

D_THE_DA "Ultimate Gloom" by Paul based off Bobby Prince

D_THEDA2 "Crossing The Gate" by PaulZee

D_THEDA3 "March or Count to Death!" by Paul_Z aka Heavy. Remix of "Countdown to Death"

D_ULTIMA "Ezxzentiel Abbrukkas" by PaulZ

D_DDTBL2 ?

D_AMPIE ?

D_DM2INT ?

D_DM2TTL ?

DM2TTL sounds like a riff on Doom I's title track. I don't have a very good ear for this so didn't recognize the other 3 unknowns. I'm pretty sure all of the Paul variants (Paul, PaulZ, PaulZee) are NMN himself.

While it's still nearish the front page, I just wanna say that Stomper (unfinished as it is) remains one of my all-time favorite WADs. (I did try Slipgate once upon a time, but bounced right off of it.) Sad that it will likely never see a finished release, but glad that at least a playable version exists (PITA though those last two maps may be!) 

Also while its here at the front, I have a quality of life patch for Beta 2 similar to my other ones that's almost ready for proper release. Heres the beta of it (Heh, a beta for a beta) that might be complete (Ive given it a once over just now in Slade and I see no errors, but you never know)

stomper_fix.zip

It basically fixes the broken internal dehacked and makes the level names actually appear, skips the empty Map 20 slot, and makes the three hidden maps in the files selectable. I don't know if the bonus maps are named correctly, as the internal dehacked names for the hidden levels did not match the level slots in beta 2, but its better than undefined musicless nameless maps in GZDoom.

As a former tester on this, it feels right to make a final contribution.