Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Springy

Blasphemer discussion

Hello all, I just signed up to say that while I have been working on a Heretic TC for a while I ended up remaking many sounds and it occurred to me I could contribute sound work here too!
I have a little wad I made of tweaks, it has edited variants of a handful of sounds, but I can probably make many more, there's also a fairly edited death animation for the Werewolf(?) enemy (Undead Knight) simply because I enjoy animating those.

For sounds I only ever use CC0 material and my own recordings, and in this case a few of the blasphemer sounds as they were.

Blasphedits.zip

On 3/1/2023 at 12:51 AM, Shino1 said:

Final tweak: I improved shading a bit and I like this version.

Yes, that's very good. A badass Dark Elf. Are you going to give him a weapon?

6 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

Yes, that's very good. A badass Dark Elf. Are you going to give him a weapon?

He's meant to be a vampire who shoots magic vampiric projectiles, which I guess makes sense because the stronger projectile spawns blood splatters (which can get pretty visible if you're using a gore mod like NashGore). So that means I will need to redo the attack frames but honestly, current Dark Soldier attack animation is somewhat lackluster anyway, it's just a weak arm swing that's barely visible from the front.

Spoiler

image.png.16965157e64719a074b948a3ef9fd8d5.png

On 3/1/2023 at 3:45 AM, HorrorMovieRei said:

Neat! Just one thing to keep in mind if you use the Dark Goblin as a base for all frames: I noticed the walk animation seems to be unfinished (or just lazy). It only has 2 frames it alternates between, so you might need to fill in some of the blanks in order to make a propper 4 frame walk animation

Oh thanks, I will keep that in mind!

Here's another version with 9 additional sounds, a few revisions too.
Stuff added includes: some hopefully suitably creepy sounds for the iron lich replacement, a hissing idle for the ophidian, explosion and firing sound for phoenix rod, a new water ambience, new lift sounds and others.

If you want me to do any specific sounds, let me know and I will give it a shot!

Blasphedits-v2.zip

Edited by AntonR : uploaded the wrong one, this should have all of the sounds.

On 3/4/2023 at 8:17 PM, Shino1 said:

He's meant to be a vampire who shoots magic vampiric projectiles

I know, still looks like a dark elf to me. And his arms in the pose you've shown look like one could easily imagine him holding a weapon.

Just my thoughts though, I don't want to interfere with your creative process :) The concept looks cool, inspired by Raziel from Soul Reaver I guess?

1 hour ago, MrFlibble said:

The concept looks cool, inspired by Raziel from Soul Reaver I guess?

I was just thinking the same thing. I really like the concept.

Might it make sense to have the red missile be the powerful one since it drops blood particles?

EDIT: I love that vampiric projectile design so I had to quickly make a graphic to test!

Another Edit: because I had time today, I was messing with how the attack sprite could look and it took lots and lots of shrinking to line the mouth up with where the attack comes from, is this gonna be a problem?

Screenshot_Heretic_20230308_120501.png

Screenshot_Heretic_20230308_120536.png

testframe.png

Edited by AntonR

No, it's the design intended to replace the undead knights, it's really being done by Shino1, I just did that as a test of the firing animation he had in mind!
Though like I said, I had to shrink his design a lot to make it line up right, comparison shown in the picture below.

EDIT: I have attached all my sprites as they are currently, in case you wanna look at them Shino1, I figure no point just showing them and not sharing 'em! It's not finished stuff but it might save some time?

Sizes.png

projectiles+scaled+sprites.zip

Edited by AntonR : added my sprites zip

On 3/10/2023 at 9:28 PM, AntonR said:

No, it's the design intended to replace the undead knights, it's really being done by Shino1, I just did that as a test of the firing animation he had in mind!
Though like I said, I had to shrink his design a lot to make it line up right, comparison shown in the picture below.

EDIT: I have attached all my sprites as they are currently, in case you wanna look at them Shino1, I figure no point just showing them and not sharing 'em! It's not finished stuff but it might save some time?

Sizes.png

projectiles+scaled+sprites.zip

Nice, thanks a lot! Projectile sprites look great honestly. But I'm gonna have to edit the attack frames a bit to resize them - Undead Warrior is 78 units tall, which is why my version is also taller than the default "Dark Soldier" sprite too.

Are there specific sounds anyone would like redone? I think I can put some work into another edition of the sound tweaks!

I think most sounds can be redone. There are many placeholders and trying different monsters on E6M3 seemed fairly silent. Not sure using other licensed material will work. The public domain stuff is considered a placeholder to be removed. The Freedoom attic is great source for extra sounds though, the licenses match. 

https://github.com/freedoom/attic

2 hours ago, Catoptromancy said:

I think most sounds can be redone. There are many placeholders and trying different monsters on E6M3 seemed fairly silent. Not sure using other licensed material will work. The public domain stuff is considered a placeholder to be removed. The Freedoom attic is great source for extra sounds though, the licenses match. 

Just please don't use whatever Freedoom quit sound basically sounds like someone destroying a toilet.

And the weapons sound like staplers, except for the energy weapons. They're fine. I guess the SSG is too.

On 5/16/2023 at 3:22 AM, Catoptromancy said:

Did you try out my Blasphedits variants? I linked above but if it's no issue I'll attach another here.

I have made quite a few new ones and variants, it's all CC0 and my own work!
Whoever knows how, you are free to implement them into the core if you wish, I don't know how this stuff is usually done

Blasphedits-v2.zip

7 hours ago, Catoptromancy said:

Still not sure if CC0 is a compatible license, but will work for now probably.

It should be. CC0 is a public domain equivalent license, so it should be able to be used in whatever.

CC0 to my knowledge means there is no copyright, which means it can be modified, re-released and sold in any way you want.

Edit: There is no more permissive license to my knowledge, and since it has no clauses I can't find anywhere that it should be incompatible with anything.

Edited by AntonR

I was doing some sounds for the snakes, having fun with metallic noises, and I ended up redoing a bunch of the sprites too, still wip but I think it's coming together

SNKEA1.gif

SNKEF1.gif

SNKEG0.gif

Heey, this looks very cool! A great improvement of the original sprites. You have a real talent for this kind of pixel art :)

On 7/2/2023 at 5:16 AM, AntonR said:

I was doing some sounds for the snakes, having fun with metallic noises, and I ended up redoing a bunch of the sprites too, still wip but I think it's coming together

SNKEA1.gif

SNKEF1.gif

SNKEG0.gif

This looks utterly similar to the early stage of the serpentipede, back then it was called serpent

22 minutes ago, Lonespacemarine said:

This looks utterly similar to the early stage of the serpentipede, back then it was called serpent

Intriguing, what is that? I can't find much on google

I found it on the Attic, yes it seems like the Blasphemer sprite is the same one from Freedoom!

Here's what the default Blasphemer one looks like unedited:

SNKEA1.gif

On 7/10/2023 at 5:42 PM, AntonR said:

I found it on the Attic, yes it seems like the Blasphemer sprite is the same one from Freedoom!

Yes, this is exactly the case; once old Freed∞monster sprites got replaced with new art by @raymoohawk and others, these old ones were recycled to fill in Blasphemer's roster, which was at that point lacking any art for many characters and used crude placeholders instead.

Whether these will stay or not depends on community contributions. I really like your take on the serpent, and would love to see the complete sprite sheet.

On 7/9/2023 at 9:39 PM, Lonespacemarine said:

May I ask, the dark soldier from freedoom which is recycled into blasphemer, is it going to stay or it is gonna removed 

@Shino1 is working on a new character based on the Dark Solider sprites:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2611462

This edit of the serpent looks good imo. It's also funny that the old Freedoom imp might be the originator of 2 new enemies if AntonR finishes these, being the base for both the new Freedoom imp and this new Blasphemer Ophidian.

image.png.7867f292169a047d4cc4d8e0a374431f.pngHere are some concept arts I had for the Blasphemer monsters, I had posted them before in the Heretic Discord's Blasphemer channels, but since I now have a DW acc to interact I can post them here too.
Left to right:
unnamed count and his second "soul" phase (D'sparil's dragon and D'sparil himself)
Merewif, Ophidian replacement based on the current Weredragon/old Freedoom pinky sprites
Gwyllgi, Werebeast replacement, a sort of demonic hellhound werewolf that shoots fire
Strigoi, Undead Warrior replacement, had a similar idea as Shino1 for the Undead Warrior replacement it seems, thought my idea leaned more to an undead knight sorta thing, it is also eyeless and I want it to be generally creepy...

I am unsure if I'll ever sprite these dudes, maybe sometime in the future whenever I feel I can make good enough 3D models and such... if anyone wants to take a shot at them, you have my permission :D

On 7/1/2023 at 6:46 PM, AntonR said:

SNKEA1.gif

Good stuff, thought I feel the face should move too, rather than being static and looking front at all times regardless of body movement, can't wait to see your stuff added!