Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Ultimate Doom “In Name Only” - [Limit Removing] - Artist for titlepic/M-Doom etc needed

About halfway done with Pandemonium, put it on hold to work on the TNT stuff. Will finish after that, then hopefully stop foolishly signing up for community projects :P

Pedro VC said:

5 months bump lol
People are still working on this?

They do, probably. Even if all possible deadlines were fucked up.

I've made some small but I hope useful revisions to my "spare" E4 map. Added co-op starts along with multiplayer monsters and items. Completely untested. I also added 3 Cacos to try and beef up the yellow key trap, though it does also increase clean-up time at the end.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/lv1v8wk4ol1bd8r/UDINO4XF.wad

I plan to make some revisions to the E4M2 map fairly soon as well. I'll also be finished with my TNT:Revilution work soon, so I'll get started on E1M1 and E4M6, finishing I hope before the year is out. I'll also give ToD's map a whirl this weekend.

Yeah a major bump on this one, but I have finally got round to a second version of military base.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/719k28qso342fmb/e1m9cb2.wad

Sorry for the major delays and lack of traffic on this thread, I have been very very busy with work and other things which has meant I haven't been very active at all on doomworld. Lets try to rectify that over the coming weeks/months.
The new maps submitted during the Spring have been placed in the OP and still work :)

I will get to TOD's map some time over the coming couple of days as it is a rather large beast.

I cannot access the link for E2M4 (I'm not sure of the issue here the link on the OP and your post go to the homepage of the site). So it might be worth re-uploading the file. Other maps I have fixed the file links and in the event of E4M1, I have uploaded the map myself to a new link as this was dead prior to me taking over the project.

I expect some well deserved mockery for my awful performance here, cue Eris :P

To be honest, if I'd stuck with the project, it would have been finished a long time ago, but it probably wouldn't be very good, just like its predecessor :P

I don't think this project is the most eagerly anticipated, probably because of how the first one turned out, but at least that means you can sort of get away with this slower development...on the other hand that also means there's rarely any sort of push to speed things up a little, so on that note, come on cannonball, onwards at the speed of playing your own map in ZDaemon! ;)

cannonball said:

I expect some well deserved mockery for my awful performance here, cue Eris :P

I imagine most of us would've been more inquisitive as to the UDINO's future except for the fact that we've also been busy with other endeavors on the site :P Good to have you back cannonball--remember that your personal health and happiness comes before any feelings of guilt the may accrue from the project.

Right here is a fix for E1M5 which I flagged ages ago, the red key is bugged where one of the linedefs you step on is tagged zero which causes the map to break in various ports. I put the correct linedef tag in to rectify this.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d4162chaimsbad4/D1ITNO+E1M5.wad

Cheers Dobu and others, I must admit that I do need to man up a little and stop procrastinating and invest more time into the things I enjoy which includes doom amongst other things.

Edit - Cheers TOD, the new version is added to the OP.

Glad to see you back, cb!

Some news -- I'm pulling the UDINO4XB map from the project so I can use it as M1 of my own E4 episode. It really is meant to be an M1 since I built it by copy-pasting Hell Beneath into a second DB2 window, then drew a box around it, deleted Hell Beneath, and built this map into that box as a way of keeping small-map discipline.

I may replace E4M2 with another candidate map. We'll see. It all depends on how happy you are with it. So if you want a different map, I'll make you one. ;)

SteveD said:

Glad to see you back, cb!

Some news -- I'm pulling the UDINO4XB map from the project so I can use it as M1 of my own E4 episode. It really is meant to be an M1 since I built it by copy-pasting Hell Beneath into a second DB2 window, then drew a box around it, deleted Hell Beneath, and built this map into that box as a way of keeping small-map discipline.

I may replace E4M2 with another candidate map. We'll see. It all depends on how happy you are with it. So if you want a different map, I'll make you one. ;)

That's cool, I have removed the link from the OP for that extra map. As for E4M2 well I might play through it again and offer some suggestions perhaps. I am pretty happy with it though, it certainly ups the ante which is good for E4, especially with some of the other maps there. Have you got any ideas of E1M2 or E4M6 yet? I might as well ask.
I have watched TOD's demo of his map to get an idea of what the original version was like, for me the two things thing stood out as troublesome were that there were no secrets and not a lot of recovery items (Mostly armour). I suspect this could be resolved in one go for UV by adding a couple of secrets to give players a bit of a fighting chance in certain parts of the map whilst keeping the gameplay hard. It will probably be tomorrow when I play the latest version.

cannonball said:

That's cool, I have removed the link from the OP for that extra map. As for E4M2 well I might play through it again and offer some suggestions perhaps. I am pretty happy with it though, it certainly ups the ante which is good for E4, especially with some of the other maps there. Have you got any ideas of E1M2 or E4M6 yet? I might as well ask.

I look forward to your comments on E4M2, and if I don't need to replace it, that's awesome -- less work! ;)

I do plan to create a secret exit that doesn't suck. Whether I make it a trip outside over the lava, or use the current location as a drop-in to a nasty fight like I had in my Switcheroom map, I really don't know at this point. The latter option is easier, and if I do that, I won't make the mistake I made in Switcheroom by letting players escape and cheese the battle. I was really disappointed when I saw that in YouTube Switcheroom playthroughs. No sloggy camping this time! ;D

For E1M2, I'll be adding to what mouldy developed with the cooling towers. That was really cool.

For E4M6 I plan a map in the Amiga Demo Party style, so expect a high level of brutality. I'm still not sure whether the best way to approach the title Against Thee Wickedly is overwhelming force or dickish sneak attacks.

Awesome I shall look forward to those in the near future.
Moving on, I guess we need to get some update from the maps that currently have no entry as of yet.

E1M2: Nuclear Plant - Steve D (Check - Map in progress)
E1M6: Central Processing - Antroid
E1M7: Computer Station - Pavera
E1M8: Phobos Anomaly - Clonehunter
E2M2: Containment Area - Xaser
E2M3: Refinery - Ledillman
E2M8: Tower of Babel - Antroid
E3M2: Slough of Despair - Ledillman
E3M3: Pandemonium - Impie or Dobu gabu maru (Check - Dobu's map is in progress)
E3M7: Limbo - Cyberdemon531
E3M8: Dis - Antroid
E4M6: Against Thee Wickedly - SteveD (Check - Map in progress)
E4M7: And Hell Followed - Noiser
E4M8: Unto the Cruel - Cell

SteveD said:

I look forward to your comments on E4M2, and if I don't need to replace it, that's awesome -- less work! ;)

Right back with E4M2
The first half of the map before the yellow key area is very scarce on ammo and health at times and that makes the gameplay rather slow at times, it might be worth adding some more bullets and rockets as well as a few medkits given the large number of hitscanners. The rockets for example could help a lot with thinning out the cacos which tend to congregate together after a while.
The yellow key area is absolute evil and I still love it, it is manageable with certain strategies with a high success rate but it will kill first time players a lot.
It would be nice to develop a better route to get to the secret exit perhaps.

cannonball said:

Right back with E4M2

Thanks, cb! I added 8 rockets, changed 2 Stimpacks into Medikits, and threw 6 armor helmets into the first half, but it wasn't enough, actually. I'll add another 8 rockets and some more armor helmets, maybe 10, and I might change another Stimpack into a Medikit, but beyond that, we're maybe not talking about Perfect Hatred anymore. Although we want to avoid Perfect Boredom, which could ensue when plinking Cacos and a Baron with single-shotty.

I'll be working in some visual improvements, too, given that this has always been a beta map. I was thinking about trying for some ceiling transfers over the lava because I've been using it as a light source, but IMO the patchwork glare on the ceilings looks pretty bad. However, I checked the OP and it says no Boom tricks, so maybe I'll just darken the lava.

Still thinking about the secret exit. I'll come up with something. :D

That sounds good to me :)
Right given things are starting to roll again, I think we should start to get a handle on the maps and in particular those slots that haven't had an update since last year.
So these maps need a check in update by the 15th of October.
E1M6: Central Processing - Antroid
E2M8: Tower of Babel - Antroid
E3M8: Dis - Antroid

If there is no response I will pm those still left on this list. If some slots have not had any reply by the end of October then the slot will be opened up.

E4M9: Fear - TimeOfDeath

Finally got to play this, I didn't do the whole thing as one of the jumping puzzles drove me completely nuts :P but managed most of the map aside from the now optional end slaughter which of course I needed to complete the jumping puzzle to get to.
I think this captures a lot of the fears pretty darn well and your style certainly works for this mapslot and the fact it is a secret map in general.
I would as I state earlier perhaps offer two things, a couple of secrets with some recovery items would be nice, I am not sure whether it would be possible to make some of the platforming less harsh on lower difficulties but if it is I would certainly recommend it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving on, the casual check in deadline is still this Saturday (15th October), anyone who doesn't reply here by then who is own my list a few post above would then get a PM from myself and then they have until the end of the month to reply, by the beginning of November either these scenarios will pan out.

No reply - the mapslot becomes open again.

A reply but to drop their mapslot - Again the mapslot becomes open again.

A reply but no progress - Given my awful management of this project so far then there will be no issues with this but come the next check in then I might decide to do something about this.

A reply with progress - All is well.

I hope this is clear, at this point I would hope that we will have some decent progress on this project completed by the end of the year which will give me hope that we can get some sort of finished product by some point in 2017. We can certainly dream at least. :)

TimeOfDeath said:

Here's Fear v3: udinoE4M9TODv3.zip

Two secrets with a berserk in each were added. The platforming and puzzles were made easier on easy/medium. Some rad suits were added on easy/medium.

Sweet TOD, added to the OP and thanks for making those edits.

As of yet nothing has been done regarding the slots which have no entry or no posts from those who have claimed those slots, I might get round to messaging some of those tonight.

Right bumping this as I really do need to crack on with this, so this is the list of slots which have been claimed but have no progress report.

Antroid's maps are still assigned to him, but are open to competing submissions. These are E1M6 and E3M8.

Me and tourniquet will slowly play through the current submissions and offer suggestions for some tweaking here and there. Of course it would be nice to hear from the authors of the maps listed above as to whether you want to continue with these slots or relinquish them to another candidate.

Remember that huge map I offered for E1M2? Okay, it was too big with too many monsters for M2, but if you'd like an E1 map with 524 monsters, it might slot in for M6 or M7, if needed. ;)

Still working on TNT:Revilution which is now entering beta, and doing last-minute changes on a couple of those maps, but once that's done, sometime in early February, I'll finally be free to work on E1M2 and E4M6, plus the secret exit and other enhancments for E4M2.

SteveD said:

Remember that huge map I offered for E1M2? Okay, it was too big with too many monsters for M2, but if you'd like an E1 map with 524 monsters, it might slot in for M6 or M7, if needed. ;)

Still working on TNT:Revilution which is now entering beta, and doing last-minute changes on a couple of those maps, but once that's done, sometime in early February, I'll finally be free to work on E1M2 and E4M6, plus the secret exit and other enhancments for E4M2.

An interesting suggestion as technically E1M6 is up for grabs after a conversation with Antroid at the end of last year.
So I will bump SteveD's map onto this page to get an opinion of whether it could be a good fit for central processing.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/87bv6wgq8h37qy4/UDINO12ACB.wad

Hm i remember playing the map when it got posted first and wasn't a big fan tbh, it's not a bad map but i've definitely played better stuff by steve. A lot of the fights rely on being surrounded by Cacos on narrow walkways which is quite annyoing unless you play without infinite heigth. The difficulty in general feels a bit too much for E1. I know CB made some changes to the rules but using that many Cacos/Lost Souls in a E1 map feels a bit excessive to me.

Converting this into E1M6 might be possible but i'd recommend to reduce the overall size of the map (maybe to remove one of those massive rooms) and generally nerf it.

tourniquet said:

A lot of the fights rely on being surrounded by Cacos on narrow walkways which is quite annyoing unless you play without infinite heigth. The difficulty in general feels a bit too much for E1. I know CB made some changes to the rules but using that many Cacos/Lost Souls in a E1 map feels a bit excessive to me.

I can understand your view. Tbh, I think it fits better into a tough E2 than it does in E1, though as I've said before, I have long believed there's no need for an easy E1 or even easy E1M1 maps. My ideal E1/E2/E3/E4 difficulty curve for a UDoom megawad would be Hard/Harder/Really Fucking Hard/Absolutely Batshit Crazy. ;)

That said, I did go a bit overboard for an E1M2 slot. ;D

First thing, though, does it fit any concept of Central Processing? In the real world, Central Processing is typically an administration building. When I was in the Navy, such a place would draft orders, manage all my official paperwork, and perhaps also have a separate bulk storage area and maybe a place to arrange travel and buy tickets. In Doom, that would probably come down to a crate maze since nobody likes admin scenarios. Thus, my map wouldn't fit.

However, it does have a Reactor Room, a Dynamo Room, giant water pumps and some computer console Doom Furniture, which could make it pass for Computer Station, but you can also say it's a central processing center for generation of energy and purification of water. Maybe a stretch, but hey. ;)

For difficulty, it's pretty nasty, with a lot of fairly severe incidental combat featuring significant numbers of Imps and hitscanners targeting the player from every angle plus multiple elevations. Then there are the setpiece fights with Cacos and Lost Souls that get bigger and bigger as the map progresses. There's also some moderately vicious traps.

As a side note, I wish you Boomers would turn off infinite height, at least for casual play. Must we make holy id's most glaring mistake? :) But you're right, given my fetish for Cacoswarms and clouds of Lost Souls, I should always play maps like this in PrBoom.

So I did.

Personally, I had no issue with infinite height. What got me again and again in those Caco/Lost Soul encounters were the damned Pinkies and Spectres. I put those in, with malice aforethought, to act as moving walls to block and slow down the player so the Cacos and Lost Souls would get a better shot at them. And it worked really well, in PrBoom, not so much in GZDoom. The big difference is that Zerk-punching is easier in GZDoom, so when you get the Zerk at the Blue Key fight, in GZDoom I can punch my way through all the Pinkies that warp in, but I never made it in PrBoom. They mobbed me and held me up while Lost Souls closed in and locked me in place. After dying a couple times, I took advantage of how the traps open, so I only went far enough to trigger the Lost Soul trap, chaingunned them, and then chaingunned through the Pinkies when that trap opened later.

Prior to that, the Reactor Room fight unleashes 12 Cacos and 12 Spectres into a dark room. I died a couple times there because the Spectres are harder to see in PrBoom. After a couple deaths, the winning strategy was to charge forward behind a rocket barrage that takes out 3 or 4 Spectres as they warp in, then switch to chaingun and circle through the walkways until all the Spectres are dead, and only then switch to the Cacos with rockets. I had suffered a rocket suicide already.

There are 2 Caco fights in secret areas -- the first Blue Armor secret and in the big secret Soulsphere area -- that were in the open and thus pretty easy.

That leaves the biggest fight -- the Dynamo Room. This is probably the only fight I'm willing to defang a bit, because that's a bigass storm of Cacos and Lost Souls, and you're limited to walkways around the dynamo pit. Dropping into the pit is very risky. Pretty good chance you won't survive. And once again, the walkways are crowded with Pinkies. I died 3 times in this fight, twice while trying to run the walkway loop only to get blocked by Pinkies and then mobbed by Cacos and Lost Souls. mouldy didn't like this fight, either. However, there are options. When you press the switch, not only do you unleash 58 Lost Souls and 24 Cacos, you also open up 2 side rooms, which is where the Pinkies come from. My third death occurred in the larger room to the north. I had almost won, but I zigged when I should have zagged and ran into Caco spit. On my fourth try, I went into the smaller room to the south, lowered the walls that seal you in, and also took the secret path out of there, which rewards you with a Blue Armor, shells and bullets. I was then able to chokepoint the monsters at the entrance, although they eventually pushed me out into the large starting area. Towards the end, I ran low on ammo and ran past the monsters to get at the health and ammo in the big north room. At that point, aside from a nice battle with all the monsters guarding that room, it was basically a mop-up operation.

All in all, I actually had more fun playing the map on PrBoom, because I couldn't do all of the things that I normally do in this map and had to figure out different approaches. Also, it has to be said that the extra ruggedness of Pinkies made the fights work more like I envisioned them. They've always seemed too easy to me on GZDoom but now, they're just right. ;)

So maybe I could reduce the size of the Caco and Lost Soul swarms in the Dynamo Room by one-third. Would that be enough?

On the issue of removing a big room, perhaps the area past the yellow door would be best. I think it's a decent area, but apart from containing the exit, it exists mainly as a place to loop to from the secret Soulsphere area, to give a sense of connectivity to an otherwise fairly linear map. I took a lot of damage here after my triumph in the Dynamo Room, being reduced to 29% health in the Hitscanner Holocaust, but even so it felt like an unnecessary denouement. The map really wants to end after the Dynamo Room fight, so the exit area should be directly accessible from there, IMO, even at the risk of players cheesing out from the final battle. The yellow key door could be turned into a normal door leading to a calm area overlooking the water, to retain the sense of connectivity.

Those are some ideas, anyway. I wouldn't want to nerf the incidental combat or any of the other setpiece fights. I don't even want to nerf the Dynamo Room, tbh, but even with a third fewer flying enemies -- the current HMP amount -- this is still a reasonably high-pressure fight, making it acceptable.