Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StormCatcher.77

Doomworld Mega Project 2017 (Final)

Yeah I broke my wad entirely. I guess my work was for nothing, since there's no chance of me fixing the wad, removing all the unused textures correctly, and then manually renaming and replacing each and every texture I actually did use. I'm going to bed now.

edit: 

1 hour ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

But, not more... ;]

Does that mean you're not taking anymore submissions?

Edited by bonnie

Hey there! Hopefully not too late...

Version 2!

Skin3v2.zip

Author: Spectre01

Misc. Author Info: Non-hardcore guy trying to make hardcore maps.

Map name: Skindustrial Core (Sector 03)

Compatibility: Boom

Playtesting: GL/PRBoom+ 2.5.1.4

Allow jumping and\or crouching: No (but it probably doesn't break anything)

Skill settings: Yes (HNTR is recommended for most players)

Build time: ~6 months, with most of the actual work 1.5 weeks before the deadline.

Tools used: GZDB (Bugfix)

Resources: Stock Doom 2

Music track: Midi rendition of Wings of Blackening by Kalmah

Bugs: Should all be fixed.

Comments: Abstract flesh-city map with some slaughter-ish encounters and tricky platforming (by my standards). Designed to be played from a pistol start. Another follow-up to my DMP2016 map19, the other being the much larger Sector 04 in SlaughterMAX. I wanted to make something taking place entirely above ground (or in this case blood) level, with lots of height variation. Requires some careful movement, as falling off is very punishing. No inescapable pits though. Difficulty settings are as follows: HNTR (fun challenge), HMP (challenge), UV (I want to faceplant for hours). Enjoy!

Any feedback, FDAs, cheese strats, or bug reports are very much appreciated.

Screenshots: (IoS is cosmetic)

08FA62E6EABD8ACABE816CC27985A81CB50E1D08

ABC06E4D2C39E489B4544C9DFBEE4C194B3A9436

E47372C44F42188F991E2680AD3B065D375107CE

C05711AF73768257CEAA17C3A23B53F9205C0D25

ED8282E55E85CB7FC1C1293DCC617079CF9CBD29

BEAB4C4276B4DAA660ABE13C1D4613B6867EE657

Edited by Spectre01 : V2

I think we have 50. Cool work!

But, not more... ;]

A new version of my map is available (links updated). Fixed a critical bug with the elevator leaving in the floor, and some cosmetic corrections were added. And the forgotten plasma gun.

Edited by StormCatcher.77

8 hours ago, bonnie said:

Does that mean you're not taking anymore submissions?

Today I make exceptions for everyone. "Not more," in the sense, only today.

Tomorrow is absolutly not :3

I do not understand those people who hang out at the Doomworld almost every day and can not make even one map for whole year.
I should wish them good luck and fresh ideas in this year.

Just a reminder: every map should have four multiplayer starts. There are groups in the Zandronum and ZDaemon communities who host multiplayer MegaProject play throughs (say that five times fast.) 

This project is going great, @StormCatcher.77. Keep up the good work!

I'm almost done with the textures. I've been working on them for a combined 7 hours between last night and today. Heck.

On 1/1/2018 at 0:34 PM, Percival232 said:

eh hope its not too late but who cares

*Link Removed*

Just Name It Disciple Of Doom. Can Be Run in GZDoom. There is only custom textures and i removed the music i had originally. You can add whatever you want for music.

Also Its Kinda T R A S H but its my first map so i dont mind too much

Edited by Percival232

i just spent the last several hours fixing everything up and making it all nice and good, but i was having trouble loading the cc4falls.wad thing with my wad

then when i tried to load my wad outside of gzdoombuilder, everything was errors

i didn't understand, so i absentmindedly closed slade and gzdoombuilder and opened them back up

all of my work from today was erased

please god tell me there is a way i can recover the work i did to the map

please tell me slade didn't completely reverse everything

i think i'm gonna throw up

Edited by bonnie

holy fricking HECK one of the .backup files has some of the textures replaced in it still!!!!!!

the only problem is that after finishing the textures, I put quite a lot of work into the map itself. that's still gone ;~;

is there anything i can do about that or do i just have to do it all again

Bauul said:

@StormCatcher.77 If you really can get this done in two weeks I think that'll be a record for the Doomworld Community projects. I recall last year's didn't come out until April! I always find compiling community projects takes way longer than I expect. It's always the little things you forgot about (Titledefs, menu music, intermission screens, CWIL etc.)

Just saying, I released dmp2016 on January 5th, and then fixed a couple things and uploaded to /idgames in April.

@Percival232The map looks 100% old classic Doom maps, but it could not be launched under Chocolate Doom or Boom. When I open a map in GZDB, I receive an error message: "'SS_START' range at index 7 is not closed in '... \ ... \ Doomworld Mega Project 2017 \ dod.wad' ('SS_END' marker is missing)!" . I also found inside the archive the sprites of weapons and TITLEPIC, globally replacing the original ones. In the framework of the project, this was not foreseen. I think you should make your map 100% compatible with Vanilla\Boom or, with Decorate in GZDoom, make a local weapon replacement ... Even there at the start, there is no texture on the wall behind the player ...

And, I think, submissions to this project closed. Today they are definitely closed... In near time I will start the first preparations for the compiling.

Edited by StormCatcher.77

6 hours ago, bonnie said:

I put quite a lot of work into the map itself. that's still gone ;~;

is there anything i can do about that or do i just have to do it all again

There is a chance that no. As far as I know, Doombuilder's during testing keeps the current map somewhere in AppData / Local / Temp. Detailed instructions on what to do with this here. I hope you ran the map test directly from the DB? I saved my maps several times when I worked with Slade, and in general on many occasions. I hope you're lucky. It is best to have a special Zip archive, and add a version with new edits to it, whenever you need to make edits through Slade.

ZtSlNnZ.png

edit: lmao I didn't even upload it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ztmmd699n2u67a5/bonsewersbackup2222.wad?dl=1

version 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7idhl3eh8gle5vf/bonsewersv2.wad?dl=1

all extraneous textures removed once and for all

edit: updated 1/18/18 now balanced and uv-maxable

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r1wks4x12hfsuoj/bonsewersv5.wad?dl=1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/q78hxgx5zxbncjr/bonsewersv5_5.wad?dl=1

Author: bonnie

Map Name: sewers.wad

Compatibility: Boom

Playtesting: pr/glboom+ 2.5.1.5

Allow jumping/crouching: no sir

Skill settings: UV, with very minor changes in specific areas for other difficulties. So basically: no.

Build time: Hard to actually say, technically it was started over a year ago with maybe 6 months of work, but that was when I was a brand new mapper so 6 months is really disproportionate. But for this project specifically: 3 days.

Tools used: GZDoomBuilder R2787, SLADE3, paint.net

Resources: nb_recol.wad, cc4tex.wad, cc4falls.wad, google images, my head

Music Track: Avenged Sevenfold - Save Me

Bugs: Probably a lot. The only bug I'm aware of as of posting this is two of the textures (you'll probably see them) don't match up with Doom's palette so they're kinda discolored. They're probably fine though.

Comments: I just wanted to get this out (I ended up just redoing what I lost) just to show that's it's technically done. I haven't actually playtested it at all, so expect some re-balancing and bug-fixing updates within a few hours. Despite the heartache, I had quite a bit of fun improving on this map for this project and adding all sorts of silly custom textures. I really hope people do some demos for my map, maybe even using that voice-recording-demo version of prboom somebody made :o

P.S. I didn't know what I was supposed to do with cc4falls.wad so I just added it to my wad and set up the ANIMATED lump for it and whatnot. The actual texture lumps are at the bottom, under the "\CC4FLLS" marker, with the animations being at the top of the ANIMATED lump.

Edited by bonnie

5 hours ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

@Percival232The map looks 100% old classic Doom maps, but it could not be launched under Chocolate Doom or Boom. When I open a map in GZDB, I receive an error message: "'SS_START' range at index 7 is not closed in '... \ ... \ Doomworld Mega Project 2017 \ dod.wad' ('SS_END' marker is missing)!" . I also found inside the archive the sprites of weapons and TITLEPIC, globally replacing the original ones. In the framework of the project, this was not foreseen. I think you should make your map 100% compatible with Vanilla\Boom or, with Decorate in GZDoom, make a local weapon replacement ... Even there at the start, there is no texture on the wall behind the player ...

And, I think, submissions to this project closed. Today they are definitely closed... In near time I will start the first preparations for the compiling.

i think i may have sent the wrong version. i should srsly organize my stuff better. Eitherway it doesnt matter its too late so ill prolly submit the CORRECT version to a different project

Uploaded a Version 2 of my map and updated the original post. This version should be final unless something map-breaking pops up. Shoutout to @Killer5 for testing and feedback on stream!

Changelog:

General

• Added coop starts, although the map isn't really designed for it.
  • Fixed some inescapable pits.
  • Minor visual and quality of life tweaks.

Balance

• Added Zombiemen to complete the full monster roster. 4, 3 and 2 on UV, HMP and HNTR respectively.
  • Delayed Chaingunner spawn upstairs.
  • Removed some PEs in exchange for additional Cacos during the RK fight.
  • Added extra pillars on HNTR for more chill platforming.
  • Removed a Vile and some Revenants from the platforms.
  • Smacked a 20% pain sector in the middle of the YK cross fight to discourage any potential cheese.
  • Added a few more Viles to the spiral stair fight.
  • Replaced Viles with PEs on tier 2 of the final structure.
  • Doubled the amount of flyers in the final encounter.
  • Rotating Vile wave has more Viles.
  • Blocked the exit Cyber from falling off.

@bonnie I think you should publish your map in the DMP2018 thread (in accordance with the new rules.). On January 2, I stopped to accept new submissions. I will go through the new content, added in the last 2 months, after the complete compilation.

You people had a whole year, but some authors postpone everything to the last moment. Personally, I finished my map in February.

46 minutes ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

@bonnie I think you should publish your map in the DMP2018 thread (in accordance with the new rules.). On January 2, I stopped to accept new submissions. I will go through the new content, added in the last 2 months, after the complete compilation.

so you're not accepting the map

and you want me to publish it next year

a map that is 75% custom textures

that i spent many many hours renaming and replacing to conform to the rules for this

please dont

i won't update it anymore if that's what it takes

please dont

18 minutes ago, bonnie said:

so you're not accepting the map

and you want me to publish it next year

a map that is 75% custom textures

that i spent many many hours renaming and replacing to conform to the rules for this

please dont

i won't update it anymore if that's what it takes

please dont

The positive thing about doom maps is that you dont have to delete them, you can keep them for later. Unfortunately a deadline is a deadline, im surprised Spectre's map got accepted.

Also we might be able to convince ToD to allow custom textures, since it is a community project, and is not ToD's personal project.

1 hour ago, StormCatcher.77 said:

On January 2, I stopped to accept new submissions.

Bonnie submitted his map less than 24 hours after the agreed-on December 31st deadline, though.