Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[Update V2] PSXDOOM / PSXFINALDOOM / DOOM64 on Gzdoom [GEC] Master Edition. DEC 17 2018.

Yeah I'm having the exact same issue as bit3s, both the PSX and FinalDoom. Before the update I had no problems running it, it's too bad cuz you did an awesome job porting this and keeping it as close to the orignal as possible.

Edit: I just redownloaded BOTH the original and v2 and replaced the original's files with v2's by dragging and dropping. Now everything works like its supposed to. Thanks and great job Erick194!

Edited by Beezle

I was wondering what would happen if you try to play multiplayer on Doom 64.

Well, actually, it works pretty well... until someone dies. Every time someone tries to respawn, game pauses and the red melt effect plays for everyone and then continues as normal. It becomes quite a bit annoying after a while. Now, I know the Doom 64 maps were not made with co-op in mind, and even less deathmatch, and there are many areas where you can get locked out if someone else presses a switch or you die and come back to the beginning after making some progress, but having multiplayer capabilities in Doom 64 is a pretty neat idea.

I tried PSX Doom too and it works great with two players, but that comes with no surprise since the original game had two-player multiplayer built-in. I don't know about having more players, but I guess that depends on the maps more than the engine itself.

Also, the intermission screen for multiplayer is broken in all ports, there are no numbers. Check the screenshots for reference. Also, in Doom 64, the light visor affects all players.

I also made a skin pack for Doom 64, which is just Doom64guy in three different colors. Why skins and not just a translatable version of the sprites you may ask? Check the spoiler for a lengthy explanation.

Spoiler

Doom 64 didn't use palette translations to change player colors like Vanilla Doom, instead it used palette swaps, which means the entire palette is changed. This effect was used not only for player colors (only visible in the title sequence), but also for some monsters like the Shotgun Guy (which is barely different to the Zombieman), the Nightmare Imp, the Hell Knight and the Specter, so instead of having a completely new sprite set (like they did with the Hell Knight for Doom 2), they just changed the palette, which saved a lot of ROM space. GZDoom has no support for palette swaps, so the only thing close to that is having different skins. For the skins to work correctly, you have to set your player color to green (that means the scoreboard would show every player in green if they use these skins), otherwise the game will convert the sprites to the Doom palette and try to translate the green range to whatever color you picked and it looks pretty ugly. Just something to have fun and for the sake of authenticity.

I made the skins on my own and then realized the four variations were already included in the game files, oh well...

gzdoom 2018-12-28 22-56-32-55.png

gzdoom 2018-12-28 23-13-28-87.png

D64SKINS.zip

Sorry, but I've never played multiplayer, so I could not check the statscreen.

But, i can fix several aspects that you mentioned.

By the way, the next version has support for the psx maps in its original format.

I will use the skins package provided by you.

Thanks @CoTeCiO.

15 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

Sorry, but I've never played multiplayer, so I could not check the statscreen.

No worries, here are some screenshots I managed to get using NO$PSX. The game runs quite broken (all walls are missing or black) and it was quite an ordeal to get it to run without crashing, but at least you get an idea of how it looks. The co-op intermission is the one with the items and secrets, the Deathmatch is the other one. The numbers count up exactly the same as in single player. Of course, Doom 64 doesn't have any multiplayer intermission screen, so you'd have to make one up, maybe based on the PSX version. The good thing about the screenshots is that they are in native resolution, so you know exactly the position of each item. And I don't think the guys at Williams considered that women would like to play Doom too! Haha! (in reference to that "him")

In co-op, the game spawns only the items marked for single player, unlike Vanilla that spawn the items marked for Deathmatch too.

I attached a Deathmatch gameplay screenshot as well since I noticed the frags segment doesn't appear in the master edition. That's how it's supposed to look like, and yeah, the "FRAGS" text is misaligned from the rest, a mistake Williams made when making the STATUS image.

24 minutes ago, Erick194 said:

By the way, the next version has support for the psx maps in its original format.

That's BIG!! I am really excited about that feature! I was making some maps and I wanted to play them in sequence, so this is going to be very useful to me!

You're welcome!

PSX Doom Co-op Intermission.png

PSX Doom Deathmatch 1.png

PSX Doom Deathmatch Intermission.png

3 minutes ago, CoTeCiO said:

And I don't think the guys at Williams considered that women would like to play Doom too! Haha! (in reference to that "him")

I think it's a "leftover" from the Atari Jaguar port, where in the status bar, another player's frags are referred to as "his frags".

4 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Hi guys! I'd like to know if you have encountered more bugs or glitches to get them fixed in next update.

Didn't notice anything else, I finished D64 last week and it was great.

I'm glad to hear this! I'm asking this because my brother (not Erick this time) and I want to make one single level of an unpublished map made in 2014 possibly upon next update using this port.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:17 AM, Gerardo194 said:

I'm glad to hear this! I'm asking this because my brother (not Erick this time) and I want to make one single level of an unpublished map made in 2014 possibly upon next update using this port.

I was wondering about something, but forgot to mention it. Is the Playstation reverb currently implemented? I' ve been watching videos of the console version and I don't think it's present in GEC. The reverb seems to be pretty noticeable when the Chaingun is fired in various tunnels/ areas on the console. 

2 hours ago, Agent6 said:

I was wondering about something, but forgot to mention it. Is the Playstation reverb currently implemented? I' ve been watching videos of the console version and I don't think it's present in GEC. The reverb seems to be pretty noticeable when the Chaingun is fired in various tunnels/ areas on the console. 

Ah yeah! I forgot to mention that the other day. I think the reverb is broken as it plays only for a couple of sounds, but most play without it.

29 minutes ago, CoTeCiO said:

Ah yeah! I forgot to mention that the other day. I think the reverb is broken as it plays only for a couple of sounds, but most play without it.

Hm, so there is some reverb after all, but not everything that's supposed to benefit from it has it. Hope it gets fixed, it does seem to enhance the overall atmosphere a lot so it would be a waste not to have it implemented properly.

Yeah @Beezle it will be included in the future. Maybe upon completing the Doom Master Edition for the PSX, it's just a matter of time finishing that project!

6 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Yeah @Beezle it will be included in the future. Maybe upon completing the Doom Master Edition for the PSX, it's just a matter of time finishing that project!

*GEC GZDoom intensifies*

By the way, what about the reverb issues me and Cotecio reported above? Is that going to be fixed in future builds or does the problem lie elsewhere? 

I have one (or actually several combined in one) question(s) aswell.

Will the  GEC Master Edition with the Lost Levels (once they are all done) be released as a wad for PC aswell in the same way like this is released (with a specialized Gzdoom that runs it with bat.files) ?

Or will it just be released as a ROM playable only via an psx emulator or real hardware.

Or will it perhaps be released in both ways?

Between music production this is my go-to thing that I like to hop into and blast through a few maps, getting  Zen by the calm, mystic and desolate atmosphere combined with the sacral and pure tribal energy of childhood experience wich serves as a hotbed of inspiration  ; )

For this reason I can't wait for the rest of the content to be added so that there's more to enjoy. ; )

12 hours ago, Agent6 said:

*GEC GZDoom intensifies*

By the way, what about the reverb issues me and Cotecio reported above? Is that going to be fixed in future builds or does the problem lie elsewhere? 

Yes, I notice that reporting you both did and I've been working on that! The reverb is actually there in all levels but you can notice that level 3, 5 and others have a short reverb effect on it causing you can't appreciate the reverb effect at all. In PSX (real hardware) each reverb is associated to each soundtrack, IIRC level 1 or 2 have the same reverb effect if I'm not mistaken meanwhile level 3 has another reverb effect... But with this findings you guys did, I've noticed another bug: doors, elevators and crushers are having a "univesal" reverb effect when only switches and item pick-ups have it. It means this is another thing to fix along with the reverb issues reported.

12 hours ago, OniriA said:

Will the  GEC Master Edition with the Lost Levels (once they are all done) be released as a wad for PC aswell in the same way like this is released (with a specialized Gzdoom that runs it with bat.files) ?

Or will it just be released as a ROM playable only via an psx emulator or real hardware.

Or will it perhaps be released in both ways?

It will be released in both ways, when PSXDoom Master Edition gets done completely, this port will be modified (again) to run PSXDoom Master Edition. Even you can create levels for the real hardware and run them here in GZDoom GEC Master Edition without the need to convert them into UDMF format, PSXDoom format maps are around the corner...

12 hours ago, OniriA said:

For this reason I can't wait for the rest of the content to be added so that there's more to enjoy. ; )

Of course there will be more content for this, one example: The missing Doom64 monsters and so on.

So, does this only work on the included version of gzdoom or will it work on regular on-modded copies of gzdoom as well?

1 minute ago, EtherBot said:

So, does this only work on the included version of gzdoom or will it work on regular on-modded copies of gzdoom as well?

They wish for the mod to be merged into the mainline GZDoom one day, but at this time it only works with the modified version it ships with.

4 minutes ago, seed said:

They wish for the mod to be merged into the mainline GZDoom one day

Speaking of that, I feel like the source code should be uploaded to somewhere like github, rather than mediafire

27 minutes ago, EtherBot said:

Speaking of that, I feel like the source code should be uploaded to somewhere like github, rather than mediafire

Funny, I've only now noticed those are Mediafire links.

Erick did say he was going to upload it on Github though, maybe he already did but didn't update/add the links.

Hi, looks like I'm late to the party, was involved with playtesting the PSX Doom TC back in the day.

Clearly some great work going on here, however I'm a little confused, what are the benefits exactly of playing this over the PSX Doom TC, how is it more authentic?

Also has anyone tried playing this with a Playstation Classic controller, as they are USB they apparently work well on PC - wonder how different they are to the original PSX controllers.

3 hours ago, francis247uk said:

what are the benefits exactly of playing this over the PSX Doom TC, how is it more authentic?

@Erick194 could be more technical, but for me, the big thing is the weird aspect ratio (although with enough tweaking you could get it on the TC), the high-contrast lighting from this port, particularly noticeable in outdoor areas, which can't be recreated with normal GZDoom, more accurate menus, 30 tics per second instead of 35, so more accurate timing, music played through the original MIDIs and a soundfont instead of recordings of the music. There are probably more changes under the hood, but so far that's what I notice the most.

One thing that is coming is support for native PSX maps, so theoretically you should be able to run the maps straight from the CD.

Super thanks CoTeCiO!

Gave it a go and really impressed - just put the wads in the SourcePort folder and off you go, very easy to get going!

For authenticity, I disabled the Dynamic lights in the Opengl > Dynamic Lights sub menu, however I'm also getting a bit of screen tearing, had a quick look around the options and cannot find an easy way to disable it (is it called v-sync or something?)

Also there appears to be some kind of added effects where the enemies eyes glow and muzzle flash at close range, does anyone know a way to disable that too?

Final error for me is the intro animations are a bit jumpy - I did set the resolution to 1920 x 1080 however even at this resolution they run a lot smoother in the PSX Doom TC, so not entirely sure why that is, nothing major though!

Many thanks for your work Erick194 & Gerardo194

Edited by francis247uk

9 hours ago, francis247uk said:

Super thanks CoTeCiO!

Gave it a go and really impressed - just put the wads in the SourcePort folder and off you go, very easy to get going!

For authenticity, I disabled the Dynamic lights in the Opengl > Dynamic Lights sub menu, however I'm also getting a bit of screen tearing, had a quick look around the options and cannot find an easy way to disable it (is it called v-sync or something?)

Vertical Sync in the display options.

Also there appears to be some kind of added effects where the enemies eyes glow and muzzle flash at close range, does anyone know a way to disable that too?

You have brightmaps loaded.

Downloaded this, it plays smoothly & looks great. But I'm not getting any music playing in any levels, menus or intermissions. Any idea why?

Was bored and decided to test Deathmatch, seemed to discover a bug with player deaths.

From the video description :

Also a bug was found in this video, everytime a player dies a melt effect occurs.

On 1/29/2019 at 4:54 AM, Baratus II said:

Was bored and decided to test Deathmatch, seemed to discover a bug with player deaths.

From the video description :

Yeah, I reported that same melt bug a while ago, but it's nice to have footage of it. Erick said then it was easy to fix, so I guess we'll have a better multiplayer experience for V3! I also reported that the multiplayer status bar was not implemented in PSX Doom (so you don't get the frags counter instead of the weapon numbers) and neither were the multiplayer intermission screens.

And now that this topic came up... @Erick194, is it possible to have the PSX multiplayer intermission screen say "her" instead of "him" if the other player defines the gender as female in the player setup screen? Maybe implement replacing the mug over the text with a female version too? There are a couple of them floating around the internet that could be useful.

Identify by its gender, it seems good idea. I apologize for several delays in my projects, but I have been busy lately.