Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Random Image Thread

1 hour ago, magicsofa said:

Go to "my attachments" and delete some stuff, silly goose

I had no idea it was archiving this stuff somewhere wow, thank you, I've been the silliest of gooses today.

One of the silliest things I have seen in my whole career. This giant-ass cooler that sounds like a turbine, protecting a basic dual core CPU from about 2009! Whoever built this (not my customer, who's a young kid who bought it secondhand for not much) really did not think things through. The motherboard was a high end gaming board (improperly screwed in and missing many of the stand-offs), almost all the front headers not connected, the graphics card a GTX1050, high end (for the time) RAM and this absurd cooler that probably would have cost half as much as the CPU.

387868513_10159822327957263_5280928138850852416_n.jpg

I found a whole bunch of outdated stuff.

This is only for doom related memes

I figured nothing better to get them in one place

image.png.2c399e6e8d3df544a22c7584b867a5ad.png

There's a random image thread for this kind of thing. Mods also generally dislike meme spam.

12 hours ago, Murdoch said:

One of the silliest things I have seen in my whole career. This giant-ass cooler that sounds like a turbine, protecting a basic dual core CPU from about 2009! Whoever built this (not my customer, who's a young kid who bought it secondhand for not much) really did not think things through. The motherboard was a high end gaming board (improperly screwed in and missing many of the stand-offs), almost all the front headers not connected, the graphics card a GTX1050, high end (for the time) RAM and this absurd cooler that probably would have cost half as much as the CPU.

I don't know much about hardware, but this feels like that time in the Simpsons when Bart cast a spell on a frog and it begged for death before vomiting constantly on a British guy's crotch.

11 hours ago, Murdoch said:

There's a random image thread for this kind of thing. Mods also generally dislike meme spam.

Well, I thought the random image thread is too wide of a boundary, instead of just being doom related. And not every meme is a cursed image.

On 10/9/2023 at 3:06 PM, Murdoch said:

It's quite possible that they were planning on overclocking their CPU after moving to Death Valley. Yeah, it sounds like someone buying a Honda Civic, and putting a row of 16" subwoofers in the back, with a custom made plywood cradle, a giant spoiler, neon rims, dual exhaust and runner lights on it. And yes, your description of the build reminded me of my best friend in middle school putting together a stereo system for his Ford Tempo.

So anyway, today my mind wandered onto the subject of multiplayer gaming, and how much it's changed since the days of split screen multiplayer. Multiple people sitting around a 30-50 inch CRT, watching and playing games on the N64, and waiting for their turn if there was more than four people. And how weird, and quaint it was. Of course nobody I knew liked playing games on PC, so there were no LAN parties, and none of us had access to the internet, so when we played, it was on my N64. I would bring it over to my best friends house (the same one with the Ford Tempo), because his mom had the biggest TV. And they hated me when we were playing anything. So, here's an image:

BBLTALp.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jello said:

It's quite possible that they were planning on overclocking their CPU after moving to Death Valley.

Pretty much. An initial prompt that came up did suggest they had tried overclocking, but even overclocked I sincerely doubt a dual core from that era would generate enough heat to excuse that ridiculous thing. Once I realised how crappy the thing was, I remembered an old 2012 era i5 system I had collecting dust at the back of my shop. Ripped all the stupid crap out and chucked that in for him. Should make him a lot happier that a dual core possibly older than he is.

30 minutes ago, Jello said:

So anyway, today my mind wandered onto the subject of multiplayer gaming, and how much it's changed since the days of split screen multiplayer. Multiple people sitting around a 30-50 inch CRT, watching and playing games on the N64, and waiting for their turn if there was more than four people. And how weird, and quaint it was. Of course nobody I knew liked playing games on PC, so there were no LAN parties, and none of us had access to the internet, so when we played, it was on my N64. I would bring it over to my best friends house (the same one with the Ford Tempo), because his mom had the biggest TV. And they hated me when we were playing anything. So, here's an image:

It had a charm. I have been a PC gamer since pretty much age 12 (so 31 years. Growing up is for chumps). About that time I had a Sega Master System, and have never had another console save a Switch I hardly ever use that I got for essentially nothing via weird circumstances I won't explain here. But I do remember well me and my friend hiring out a Nintendo 64 and Duke64 one day, and playing DukeMatch. We exploited the ability to see where the other was heartily. But things got really funny when we realised that projectiles could be fired through teleporters. I can still see my well aimed grenade going through a teleport and nailing him square in the face on the other side, killing him. Good times.

9 hours ago, natashanightmare said:

image.png.79eafa4c3f97a460ebf66f67db48c693.png

Hoping that bathtub was thoroughly cleaned.

Otherwise, I'm guessing that's marinating lechon baboy? I've always wanted to try it.

13 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

It's from the Doom 3 Boxart Signing event.

Thanks. I didn't know it existed.

That's cool. 

BobClampettFirstCartoon.png.0fc05684d4e31104807de5f492a8d299.png

If I had a nickel for every time Bob Clampett was accused of or was claimed to have created something he didn't create, I'd have two nickels.

That's not a lot, but it's funny that it happened twice. Might even be three times since I do remember seeing an image of a news article saying that Clampett was the creator of Mickey Mouse.

Also, Bob's real name was Émile Cohl this whole time.

On 10/11/2023 at 6:45 PM, Murdoch said:

Pretty much. An initial prompt that came up did suggest they had tried overclocking, but even overclocked I sincerely doubt a dual core from that era would generate enough heat to excuse that ridiculous thing. Once I realised how crappy the thing was, I remembered an old 2012 era i5 system I had collecting dust at the back of my shop. Ripped all the stupid crap out and chucked that in for him. Should make him a lot happier that a dual core possibly older than he is.

Yeah I really can't imagine a dual core ever needing that kind of a cooling system. I did have an Intel Core 2 quad core, 2.4GHz, when I was living in a trailer that got about as hot as the surface of the sun. That thing did end up overheating without any overclocking, I tried figuring out why I was getting graphical glitches and random shutdowns, and I installed Open Hardware Monitor on it, and realized that the GPU was running around 87° C, and the CPU was hovering between 70 and 80° C, getting above 90 at times. So yeah, that was a problem with the environment, it was a Hell hole, but I probably could've used that ridiculous cooler on my PC back in 2008. 

On 10/11/2023 at 6:45 PM, Murdoch said:

It had a charm. I have been a PC gamer since pretty much age 12 (so 31 years. Growing up is for chumps). About that time I had a Sega Master System, and have never had another console save a Switch I hardly ever use that I got for essentially nothing via weird circumstances I won't explain here. But I do remember well me and my friend hiring out a Nintendo 64 and Duke64 one day, and playing DukeMatch. We exploited the ability to see where the other was heartily. But things got really funny when we realised that projectiles could be fired through teleporters. I can still see my well aimed grenade going through a teleport and nailing him square in the face on the other side, killing him. Good times.

I've been on both sides of the fence, I would call myself a PC gamer, but I used to love consoles. The last one I bought was a Wii U, and it's fun, but I decided that I would rather invest in a PC for playing games, I started on PC, well, technically Apple IIe, because my Grandfather used them at work, and for some reason he had a bunch of games on 5.25" floppy that we could play on Saturday when he went in to do accounting work for the company he worked for.

But the first computer my Mom bought was a Tandy 486, so my brother and I could play the Catacombs games, Wolfenstein, Betrayal at Krondor, Legend of Kyrandia, The 7th Guest, and Doom. Although we couldn't really play Doom 2 that well because the Tandy only had 4MB of RAM, so my Mom eventually bought another 4MB of RAM for $200. I still can't believe RAM cost that much, and the PC itself cost around $2,000, in 1992, which would be around $4,000 in today's money.

Anyway, it's interesting that you mentioned Duke64, because my friends and I did have a good time playing that back then as well. And yes, everyone was looking at everyone else's screen, and shooting explosives through the teleporters was great fun. It does remind me that we ended up making up our own rules when we were playing games, because the basic deathmatch kind of got boring. For Duke64, we would usually play "Duck Hunt", and I know I've mentioned it here before, but we would play on the pirate ship level.

One person would be chosen at random to play the "Duck", either by drawing straws, or coin toss, or just "not it", and they would be given one minute to gather up all the weapons and items they could find, and grab the jet pack on the ship. Everyone else would look away while they were doing it, but they had to be on or near the ship when the time was up, and use the jet pack to fly around. The other three players could only use the shotgun, explosive shells were fine, but you couldn't any other weapons. Yeah it was kind of stupid, but it was fun. I guess that's why I loved the N64 multiplayer, you could just make up rules. GoldenEye and Perfect Dark were great for that, I especially loved playing GoldenEye with my older brother, when we couldn't decide who actually won one of our gaming sessions. One of us would just say "Pistols in the Archives", which meant License to Kill mode was on, one hit death, close quarters, pistols only, and we would usually set the kill count at either five or ten. I usually won, but the duel tended to happen after playing "Power Weapons in the Complex" for an hour.