Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

What do you regret making in your .wads?

what the hell is scythe anyway?

Every single wad I've made has things I regret doing/regret not doing. I think the biggest would've been with Grove.wad- i really really wish i made it more magical. I fixed the shitty low frames problem, sure, but thats small potates' compared to what i really envisioned for that damn thing. I wish i put benches in there, and a landed UFO.

Scuba said:
True, the wad contains more original artwork than probably any wad of recent years, burt there are still a few textures and things I didn't draw. I probably should have spent a little longer and drawn my own versions of those 30 or so entries. This would have meant more time and a longer release date. And if it works don't fix it.

What makes a WAD great? Fresh graphics, never seen before ^_^ /Me knows something about it.

Foofoo said:

oh that???? I don't like that wad at all >:(

...But you love NUTS2.WAD

Am I right in saying that you made the whole "NUTS!!!" series?

Foofoo said:

oh that???? I don't like that wad at all >:(

You break erik's heart. I'll get the sutures.

Everyone is entiteled to their own opinion. If you tell me that scythe2 sucks I am going to be a bit sad though considering the amount of work I put into it.

Erik said:

Everyone is entiteled to their own opinion. If you tell me that scythe2 sucks I am going to be a bit sad though considering the amount of work I put into it.

I feel your pain.

Anders said:

I kinda regret releasing the speedmap i just made.

Yeah i regret you releasing the speedmap you just made. :)

if you play a wad of yours nowadays, do you ever see stuff you wish you did or did not put in???

with Lock and Load, I wish I didn't put so much stuff in it. It was too...much.

Also do you think your wad took a wrong direction??? that sorta thing??

Back then, obviously not. In retrospect, yeah. When you throw a bunch of anachronistic gear into the future, it just doesn't make sense.

another one: are there any wads of yours that you wish you never made in the first place??

Nope

one last one: are there any wads that someone else made that you wish you made??

Hell no

Darkhaven said:

Take a good look at Foofoo's title and I think you'll have your answer.

Erik said:

well... sorry. Its not that bad, really. Its alright. Better than most actually. I just dont remember it much. Plus, I know how you feel.

Scuba Steve said:

I feel your pain.

Oh for fuck's sake Scuba. Action Doom is great, and thats all there is to it.

Darkhaven said:

Yes, except for Nuts:Arena. Some other guy made that. Don't know who though. But its not that great anyway.

You ever play a wad were the resolution makes the whole game's textures/sprites crappy no matter what? Oh man thats a pain. I cant play this megawad called TOON2B cause of it.

Hmm actually this was doesent have a resolution problem anymore...and i dint change anything either...oh well thats good.

The things packed with glitches and bugs though..UGHHH

Scuba Steve said:

I really wanted a super secret level where you floated around in 0 gravity, and you had to use the recoil from your gun to shoot yourself around the ship. This however is just a little too much for Doom I believe, not only do no guns have a recoil, but this has never been attempted. Maybe with .64 I could rig a gun that fired the "Rocket launcher" from heretic that knocked you back, except not explode and just act like a pistol... still it sounds a little out of Doom's league.

THAT's why I use EDGE. Stuff like that is easy to make.

Aside from having a major gaphics overhaul (IE change everything to look like my cartoon style) the only thing I regret ever making in my wad was not refining the DDF's a little more for ICD-Lizard. I could have placed the P90 in Slot 7 rather than Slot 4 or maybe I could have tried to fix the buddies so they would actually shoot at any enemy in sight. I think that's it...

when i think about it this is a dumb subject, and also a helpful one. If you feel you did something wrong in a wad, fix it, and release it as an update! It's helpful cuz it shows what you need to fix.

Scuba: What features are these that EDGE is incapable of doing?(i'm not arguing, i'd just like to know what... and then I might recommend them to the EDGE team if they're good, like sloping which has already been recommended).

Heh, oddly enough Action Doom has no slopes. But I'm not a scripter so I'm not entirely sure what was needed, but here are a few things I'm kindof aware of...

Music Changes
The Boat Race (Requiring Polyobjects I believe)
Hub Based Levels
Customized Fonts

And on a more personal note, I just prefer Zdoom more. I don't hate EDGE, but it just feels unfinished and different. While the weapon creating capability of EDGE would have been nice, The weapons using Dehacked functioned exactly how I wanted them too... even the spread which is just the Heretic Crossbow with Cybscript applied to make it in a constant state of "upgraded" or whatever that tome does to make it shoot 5. That was really ingenious on his part.

Nick Perrin said:

when i think about it this is a dumb subject, and also a helpful one. If you feel you did something wrong in a wad, fix it, and release it as an update! It's helpful cuz it shows what you need to fix.

what?? okay, what if you regret the direction the level took??? Are you going to change the whole fucking thing and make it take a new direction? Whats the damn point?? Might as well either sigh and regret doing what you did, or just make a new wad in the direction you always wanted in the first place. Thats mainly what i meant.

Music changes and customized fonts you can do, but i never played through action doom all the way though so i didn't see the boat chase part. I'm still trying to figure out if you can make sectors move around in EDGE, like in duke nukem 3d. I know you could almost do something like that using conveyor belt sectors all around you, but its not the same.

I would also really like hub-style stuff for EDGE(that means if you go back to a level you've already been in, it'll be just as you left it, ie dead bodies etc.?).

I think I might play action doom through sometime soon.

I don't regret alot of the maps I've made or things in them. I'm glad I never released alot of them though, since so many were noobish and terrible by my standards today. Like my unfortunate Air Craft Carrier map :/

Scuba Steve said:

EDGE is incapable of doing all the other things in Action Doom though.

IMO Zdoom is the best and most flexible sourceport out there. As the best and most obvious proof that Zdoom's ACS is far more advanced than EDGE's DDF's and Radius Script let me point out Zdoom Tetris, Arkanoid and Pong.

Nick Perrin said:

I think I might play action doom through sometime soon.

O_o Shame on yee. One of the most unremarkable wads out there and a good reason to get Zdoom on Your PC (there are other 3057 reasons tough ;)