Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

breezeep new avatar is annoyink

Clonehunter said:

You gettin a gif

You gettin a gif

Beetch, we all gettin us some gifs

I gave that bitch a gif. Bitches love gifs.

Avoozl said:

"annoyink" is an annoying word come to think of it.

Is just conveyink Russian accent, da?

I guess it's from this comic:

edit: @Blzut3 - I bet you're wasting more cycles than an old computer like Amiga 500, Atari ST, PC-98, or 80286 had to begin with. It gives me an idea for an avatar though...

I will note that high frame rate gifs use a lot of CPU power. Found that out the hard way with zandronum.com when our default background for the news box was an animation and it chewed through a whole core for most people.

Just looking now Breezeep's avatar causes up to a 10% CPU usage (dual core so actually 20%) increase (compared to most avatars here which only use about 3%). Thank of all the batteries you're killing! :P

joe-ilya said:

But that's how the original sprite goes, I don't think I can fix this.

Here you go.

Blzut3 said:

Just looking now Breezeep's avatar causes up to a 10% CPU usage...

???
Why is that?
When you're playing Doom in, let's say 1024x768, the PC has to constantly redraw an area that is 192 times larger than Breezeep's avatar. How come the CPU doesn't burn then?

Ichor said:

Here you go.

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/29o0qi8.gif[IMG]

Sweet and neat! Using it!

Memfis said:

???
Why is that?
When you're playing Doom in, let's say 1024x768, the PC has to constantly redraw an area that is 192 times larger than Breezeep's avatar. How come the CPU doesn't burn then?

Not entirely sure, but I assume it has something to do with content running at independent frame rates and timer resolution. 10% is hardly burning though (and considering this is a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo, isn't actually a whole lot of processor), but it's a lot higher than the 0% of displaying static content.

Just wanted to point one of the many reasons to hate animated avatars. :P

Interesting, I never thought they would be that much CPU power demanding. I will count with it, not to change my avatar, but if I'll ever be doing anything that would involve selecting and placing gifs to web.

Blzut3 said:

10% is hardly burning though (and considering this is a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo, isn't actually a whole lot of processor),

It's actually a lot, when you consider that a pentium 120 could render animated GIFs in Netscape without much trouble. I can't remember how my 486DX/33 fared though, because I rarely ran X on that machine (for the longest time it only had 4 MB RAM). Probably your browser is using lots more memory to render the GIF also...

Ignoring the bullshit...

Enjay said:

The relatively poor functionality of the forum and the old-fashioned clunkiness of its operation is more of an issue than how it looks though.

This.

Say what you want about more 'modern' forums - but at least they WORK!

This one does not. It can't track what I read and what I did not and in general shows more hiccups than I ever encounter on all other forums combined that I frequently visit.

I absolutely do not care about visuals, that part is perfectly fine. But what does it help if it's basically broken?

Graf Zahl said:

I absolutely do not care about visuals, that part is perfectly fine. But what does it help if it's basically broken?

You're going in the wrong direction, pal. Web stuff suxx and modern web stuff suxx even more, due to increased layers of complexity and security problems. And it's fucking slow to boot. I was just browsing some tabletop RPG files on mediafire today and couldn't believe the large delays in navigation between directories and the time it took to load a simple directory tree. This fucking javascript circlejerk meter thingamajig started animating everytime too. It was like having Mr. Clippy there taunting you "Hey buddy, it looks like you're tring to go back up one directory level. Would you like me to sit here and pick my nose for a couple seconds and maybe load your page after?"

Yeah, fuck all that bullshit. If you're going to change things, just give me a simple, plain NNTP interface and I'll use whatever intelligent client I want for sorting and ordering threads. Not only it'll be simpler, faster, and less bandwidth intensive, but there's also the side benefit of being able to insert random funny taglines in signature block, and your client can insert a nice big ascii-art *plonk* graphic everytime you killfile someone (it's just not satisfying enough otherwise...)

Welcome to the modern Web 2.0 (or is it 3.0 already?) where the matter of how efficiently your computer can display trite and corny animations in a browser or do useless shit with "rich web apps" is barely more imporant than the life of an Iraqi to G.W. Bush.

If you don't like that go back to using DOS, you troglodyte.

Well I'd love to, but the few web browsers available for DOS won't let you surf much on the web today. All the nasty javascript everywhere requires overcomplicated web browers, and bigger/faster machines, with library dependencies not available for older OS.

I think shit started really going downhill about 10 years ago. Before that, you could at least get by with older system, for the most part. I even used to login to places like bank, paypal, ebay, etc. with javascript disabled. A basic HTML browser with SSL was enough...

In fact, for the longest time one of my relatives used an Amstrad PC1512 for connecting to the local Freenet over dialup, to check her email in Pine and use Lynx. She eventually upgraded because she wanted to see pictures, but otherwise that old DOS machine provided for all her Internet needs. Actually even a CP/M machine with two floppy drives and a modem would have done the trick as well...

But nowadays if you don't run full Webkit-engine or similar browser, then you're not welcome in many places. This website is one of the few you can still access easily. Some others that *should* be accomodating to any browser (e.g. archive.org) make it really hard to navigate without modern browser. I've even seen some Amiga websites you can't navigate in Lynx or similar.

hex11 said:

Well I'd love to, but the few web browsers available for DOS won't let you surf much on the web today. All the nasty javascript everywhere requires overcomplicated web browers, and bigger/faster machines, with library dependencies not available for older OS.

I guess all those professional "web design" gurus didn't take the official W3C recommendation of having a pure HTML fallback very seriously. AFAIK, of the major players out there, only Google took it seriously (at least gmail has/had a pure HTML fallback).

Thing is, since they didn't take advantage of the "mobile/smartphone" revolution to finally design slimmer and more efficient websites that don't require turning the browser into a (low efficiency) VM, then they will never do so. The only instance of that were those (admisttedly quite poor) WAP sites, but consumers people today just won't settle for that. They want their Farmville and Bonzi Buddy flashing ads, dammit!

Even on mobiles, the preferred "solution" was to make browser-surrogate "apps", rather than rationalize web design.

Either way, don't expect a web browser to be as efficient and optimized as a videogame when it comes to displaying animation. Myself, I wondered how e.g. my old 486 DX/50 could ROCK a game such as Doom (within reason), but choke on a bunch of static windows when running Windows 3.1 or (God forbid) 95.

the_miano said:

Are your jimmies rustled yet???

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Oh boy, Spooky Scary Skeletons on Steroids.

As for mine, some Japanese woman I love drawing, Yuki. Nothing special
Really.

Only undead and demonic. Well, that type of mood when I got back to working on The NIGHTMARE! Palace starting on MAP02 by making it less
Linear.

EDIT: Alright the_Miano, you are REALLY giving me the giggles.

This thread is epic, and i do not play nice with epic.

1 - The avatar is pure oink, you 'fing pig, yeah you, all of my oinks for you.
2 - rofl at 'a gif is heavy' for a dual core or current age low-end pc.
3 - imagine somethng to place here.

Maes said:

I guess all those professional "web design" gurus didn't take the official W3C recommendation of having a pure HTML fallback very seriously. AFAIK, of the major players out there, only Google took it seriously (at least gmail has/had a pure HTML fallback).

The gmail web interface worked fine until a few years ago, and then one fine morning I suddenly couldn't login anymore. The reason given was something to the effect that my browser was too old/insecure, and I should upgrade to one of latest Firefox/Chrome. Of course that didn't make sense. All this time I had been using the Lynx included in OpenBSD, which underwent some level of security audit (in addition to benefiting from OpenBSD's overall hardening and exploit mitigations) and was always up-to-date with OpenBSD releases happening every 6 months.

A little bit of digging on the mailing list found this:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lynx-dev/2013-07/msg00018.html

So apparently now basic HTML browsers are no longer supported, since you have to go through all this extra trouble to figure out how to login. I mean, it still works today (if you use the URL in that lynx-dev thread) but it's not advertised on google gmail FAQ or whatever. Maybe one day they'll just pull the plug entirely on it, and only let you login if you're using nasty javascript browser. I don't know *why* they changed things out of the blue like that. Maybe it's related to their consolidation attempts with google+ and youtube. After all, javascript gives them more leverage and ways to track people with.

Anyway, whatever. The day they remove it entirely, I'm out of there. I'll use POP3 or IMAP until I can transition all my website accounts to sdf.org or my own private server.