Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ty Halderman

Archive cleanup

Moved.

As pointed out, nothing says what game it's for (and I probably would not have noticed Thing details like that in 1997) but it's "wrong" anyway as it's a DM wad and in the solo directory.

Now in heretic/deathmatch/s-u/.

ZODIAC.WAD should be moved from the vanilla DOOM2 megawads directory to levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/ because it is not vanilla-compatible, as explained in this post.

Perhaps it should be removed from the archive altogether as it includes complete sets of sprites and sounds from DOOM2.WAD.

Never_Again said:

ZODIAC.WAD should be moved from the vanilla DOOM2 megawads directory to levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/ because it is not vanilla-compatible, as explained in this post.

Perhaps it should be removed from the archive altogether as it includes complete sets of sprites and sounds from DOOM2.WAD.

Yes, I've rejected it for use of original resources and I wrote to the author explaining all that. Hopefully he'll fix it and reupload. I'd probably have caught that nowadays but that was 2012.

Breezeep said:

Submerged Revenge should be moved into terry wads.

No, it should probably be tagged with a trapwad warning but not shifted to terry wads (For I see no terry SOMEMONG in there and/or sodomy involving my rectum).

mrthejoshmon said:

No, it should probably be tagged with a trapwad warning but not shifted to terry wads (For I see no terry SOMEMONG in there and/or sodomy involving my rectum).

You are correct. Trapwarning now in place.

setplayerproperty(0,1,PROP_TOTALLYFROZEN);
should have been enough for me to at least look for that, sorry all.

I gotta start/stop doing this stuff when "impaired"...

In case the author of Zodiac Doom doesn't respond, will you accept a "cleaned" version made by me? I like that wad and would hate to see it disappear from the archive completely.

Memfis said:

In case the author of Zodiac Doom doesn't respond, will you accept a "cleaned" version made by me? I like that wad and would hate to see it disappear from the archive completely.

The email didn't bounce, so I do need to wait at least as long for a response as I would on a fresh upload (7 days). The text file sloppily says you can modify it so I don't have an issue on that front either, especially as the file is unacceptable other than the resource issue and only for that reason not part of the archive.

Authors can or not use the contents of this file as a base for
modification or reuse but please telled me if u do it .

Ugh.

There's a copy of abyspe15.txt/abyspe15.zip in the wrong directory.

pub/idgames/abyspe15.txt
pub/idgames/abyspe15.zip

EDIT: The files (dated 01-Mar-2015) should be moved to:
levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/abyspe15.txt
levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/abyspe15.zip

Sorry, got that in the wrong place--hope it's right now.

2015/03/01 7355 levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/abyspe15.txt
2015/03/01 3251784 levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/abyspe15.zip
2015/03/01 7355 newstuff/abyspe15.txt
2015/03/01 3251784 newstuff/abyspe15.zip

Pretty sure this needs to be moved to the X-Rated section if it's what I think it is. I'm not overly keen to look for myself.

Bloodshedder said:

I guess it kinda looks like a vagina with cacodemon horns? I didn't notice that looking at it the first time.

Googling "blue waffle" will help.

ZPack should be moved from levels/doom/Ports/megawads/ to levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/, as despite its ExMx level-naming scheme, it's actually for Doom II. (The text file, if accessed from the FTP and not the frontend, also says "Game: DOOM2".)

The Green Herring said:

ZPack should be moved from levels/doom/Ports/megawads/ to levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/, as despite its ExMx level-naming scheme, it's actually for Doom II. (The text file, if accessed from the FTP and not the frontend, also says "Game: DOOM2".)

I'm not very interested in shoving files around between games this long after their upload, especially if it's a bit obscure as to why.

Date: 06/16/08

That said, who am I to argue with the uploader... Moved.

Superluigieth1 said:

Ty - Why is B4NM.wad in x-rated? It's a terrywad so it should be in themes/terrywads/.

Who's in charge here? From the text file:

Archive Maintainer : themes/X-Rated due to adult content

I think the uploader should make the decisions, and if he/she's wrong I'll handle it. But the author's instructions to me should be the end result.

Ty Halderman said:

I'm not very interested in shoving files around between games this long after their upload, especially if it's a bit obscure as to why.

Date: 06/16/08

That said, who am I to argue with the uploader... Moved.

I apologize deeply for not clarifying why ZPack was for Doom II besides some tiny mention in a text file. Specifically, despite its ExMx level-naming scheme, ZPack uses Doom II monsters, items and other resources that will not work properly if Doom II is not loaded as the IWAD.

Of course, it's the uploader and/or text file writer's fault (whoever it was/they were) for failing to add a much more visible explanation (e.g. "This WAD requires Doom II to play or it won't work right!") in the first place—and the fault of the ZPack developers for not bringing it up during all these years. And possibly for using a naming format with the potential for confusion. I just wanted to mention it here so I won't have to demo it for my /idgames/levels/doom campaign anymore. :)

Thank you for keeping /idgames up and running!

Never_Again said:

Wait...that's what levels/doom2/Ports/ is for? Huh. I always thought it was levels from Doom ported to Doom 2.

The /Ports directories are for wads that make use of source port-specific features or exceed the vanilla game engine's static limits, many of which tend to crash it. Most Doom-to-Doom2 level "ports" I've seen are the product of conversion utilities that don't do a particularly good job and are probably as welcome in the archive as SLIGE maps.

For future reference of Ty (or anyone else who ends up handling the archives):

While setting up a better system for figuring out whether maps off of my shovelware CDs are or aren't on idgames, I found that there are two pairs of dupes in the Heretic section:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/g-i/hchurch.zip
and
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/deathmatch/0-9/1hchurch.zip

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/m-o/ouapool.zip
and
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/heretic/deathmatch/m-o/ouapool.zip

There is also a pair of dupes in the Hexen section:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/hexen/a-c/castle.zip
and
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/hexen/deathmatch/a-c/castlwad.zip

There may be some little differences to the zips/txts but the wads themselves check as identical. IMO they would be best categorized as:
HCHURCH.WAD - single
OUAPOOL.WAD - deathmatch
CASTLE.WAD - single

I've got a question -- the database data are generated automatically from the text file, but is it possible to edit this data afterwards? There are quite a few files in the archive with malformed data due to unconventional textfile structure. I know fixing them all would be a lot of work for little gain, but files with wrong titles stand out in the most annoying way.

Yes it is possible to edit the data afterward, and I have already been doing this for the last several months. I've been through 193 pages of files with no title (field is NULL) so far