Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jon

John Carmack wins a BAFTA

John Carmack has been awarded a BAFTA Fellowship for his outstanding and exceptional contributions to games. During his acceptance speech, which was short by his standards, he remarked "Thank you very much for this honor, but I'm just getting started". You can watch John's acceptance speech, preceded by a short career retrospective, on YouTube.

"Getting started"? I wonder what he means by that...

HavoX said:

IMHO: Don't think of my career as having peaked with Doom, or Quake, etc.: I'm not past best, I'm just warming up.

It makes more sense in the context of his speech.

HavoX said:

He's working on his own Doom reboot specifically for VR.

Glaice said:

BAFTA is pretty much useless in terms of "awards" shows.

Useless for what? The Oscars don't do awards for games. The BAFTAs recognising Carmack gives them quite a lot of credibility to me.

Carmack's always been the the person to go to the limits and either stay there or go beyond it.
"getting started", who knows what new innovations/ideas he's got planned in his head.

... A BAFTA... He's that good eh?

He was all keen on VR back in the Doom development days - wtf does he have planned during VR development? Some sort of Resonance Cascade to bring games to life?

Great that he won the award, he deserves it for what he's done to gaming.

But to say he's just getting started? He's delusional. VR is nothing but a fad like 3D monitors and tablet computing. If the once greatest game developer is having these illusions of grandeur, then I think it's time for him to retire.

Xtife said:

But to say he's just getting started? He's delusional. VR is nothing but a fad like 3D monitors and tablet computing. If the once greatest game developer is having these illusions of grandeur, then I think it's time for him to retire.

Do you know Catacomb 3D? A game with texture mapping, npcs and more... Even though such technology at that time was considered way too RAM and processor power. This was before Wolfenstein.

Xtife said:

Even if you're right, VR might not be his endgame. But he might see something in VR that you or I haven't, yet.

constantly harp on about how doom was a game-changer, re: speed, then show segments of the game as played by some armless fucking child who can't even find the run button.

Seriously.

darknation said:

constantly harp on about how doom was a game-changer, re: speed, then show segments of the game as played by some armless fucking child who can't even find the run button.

Seriously.

Glad someone said it.

Xtife said:

If you really can't grasp the potential of VR as Carmack and others see it evolving—into holodeck type experiences, indistinguishable from reality—then well, let's just say it demonstrates why he's the one getting a BAFTA, and you're the one posting about it on an internet forum.