Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Doomworld Maximum Project 2023 - Uploaded!

@lubba127 

Spoiler

I loved the visuals of this map as well as how it was organized with the different sky islands to fly over to and work towards the key to come back to the main hub island. i really liked the cyberdemon telefrags as well. the map felt really thought out and was just really fun to play. Great work. The map has a great flow to it and I really enjoyed this one.

@Melodic Spaceship

Spoiler

I noticed a great use of textures and enjoyed the attention to detail in the map. My only note is that I had a hard time finding the yellow key where it was off to the side a bit and I didn't think to look for it there but that could just be a me problem. I also wasn't sure if it was intentional or not but the last key is a skull key and the first two are key cards so wasn't sure if that was intentional or not. I liked the use of teleporters and felt the map had an overall solid sense of pace and direction with monsters and pickups that were well placed. Great work!

@Li'l devil

Spoiler

I don't know how many others feel this way but I love a shorter map. I played your map twice in a row and I never really do that. I think the simplicity and snappiness of the map just kind of works. Not much to add as far as criticism or anything. It's short and sweet and a solid contribution. :)

Edited by senpaigru

22 hours ago, Xybear said:

@Melodic Spaceship I enjoyed your map, I liked the Cyber Demon and Mastermind fights, however I think you should clearly telegraph to the player that there's a blue key door at the beginning because I was lost and had to open the editor to find it, also having those yellow Skull keys behind bars makes it impossible to get 100% items. But once again, good map man (PS: You do a killer Pentagram)

Thanks for the feedback! I do generally prefer to keep my levels 100% completable, but I don't think most source ports count keys towards the item percentage despite them being required in most circumstances, hence why I thought I could use them to help indicate the paths to getting access to the "real" yellow key. Or do you just like collecting absolutely everything, even the stuff not explicitly counted by the item count?

I can probably change it if you think it's still important to have all keys collectable with that in mind (in which case I would put small cubes with the yellow skull texture in their place).

With the deadline coming up, I think I'll submit my officially ultra final version of SNES Cyberdemon's Castle. Main change is heavily nerfing lap 3, made it so you can consistently tag the first secret, and also added a bonus easter egg on lap 3.

snes_cyberdemons_castle.zip

@Dewzan Just played through your map UV-Max, and I gotta say, that's the most fun I've had playing Doom in a while. Aside from the awesome gimmick, your map is full of really well-orchestrated encounters - I'd say it's just about the best vehicle (pun intended) for easing into and becoming more comfortable with slaughter-lite/slaughter gameplay. Tough, but fair fights throughout, with each lap upping the ante and keeping things fresh (I like the subtle light decrease from lap to lap). I found ammo a bit tight at some points in Laps 1 and 2, but I may not have been utilizing in-fighting as well as I should. Great map and well done!

On 12/4/2023 at 9:04 AM, Dewzan said:

With the deadline coming up, I think I'll submit my officially ultra final version of SNES Cyberdemon's Castle. Main change is heavily nerfing lap 3, made it so you can consistently tag the first secret, and also added a bonus easter egg on lap 3.

snes_cyberdemons_castle.zip

Dude I loved this map. The gimmick, the music, the execution, all of it. Great job man, you knocked it out of the park

@stochastic@Xybear Thank you all! It's funny, observing other peoples levels made me realize "Wait a minute, my level has a lot of the same issues", and so it went through probably more time finalizing than the initial draft.

I got worried for a second that I won't have a map to submit here this year around. But then I remembered this little thing I made in summer:

Title: Dance with the Demon

Music: "Killing Time and Space" by Nekrogoblikon

cl 9, link

Pretty easy and short so should be perfect for this.

Just posted an updated submission after @Dewzan's playtest and critiques to my map, The Black Lodge. Major changes are:

• The blood library has been completely revamped to prevent any softlocks
  • Nerfed several encounters by removing some enemies, namely removing roaming archviles
  • Made fake walls in blood labyrinth translucent
  • Removed several cyberdemons
  • Reworked some fights in the blood labyrinth
  • Blood floor is no longer damaging
  • Added more health powerups in big arena fight

The difficulty of the map is still pretty high, however, these changes will hopefully provide less hostile experience to first-time players. There could still probably stand to be some additional nerfing, but I wanted to push these changes out the door quickly so more folks hopefully feel like testing it out as well.

Updated post with submission file: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2693981

On 12/9/2023 at 11:10 AM, Dewzan said:

@stochastic This is definitely 10x better than before, well done! Confirmed Top 10 Doom maps of 2023, you earn 20 Cacowards!

Thank you for the kind words and for replaying it! Glad it was more enjoyable this time around :) 

I also couldn't help myself and added some more enhancements to various areas. Mainly added some background cliffs/extra details here and there. Probably should stop tinkering and just call it done haha. Updated the submission in the original post!

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20231210_192943.jpg.8371324cfe499cc04e82c3c276af68a2.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20231210_183303.jpg.798a4cd00314f41cc3ab4c378fe50821.jpg

Edited by stochastic

Can I send my old map? I have a small map in boom format with urban themes and textures from duke nukem. but I don't want to release it separately

12 hours ago, Nikolanchik said:

Can I send my old map? I have a small map in boom format with urban themes and textures from duke nukem. but I don't want to release it separately

Pretty sure you can submit still. I'd like to see your map, it sounds interesting!

Another new version of my map. This should hopefully be the final version. The only change is that I added a shortcut teleporter that takes you to near the blue key door that's revealed after obtaining the blue key. I ultimately decided to keep the "decorative" yellow skull keys since they don't affect the item count.

Download: TribulationFacilityV3.wad

@lubba127 I just played through your map - what an absolutely delightful experience. Between the awe-inspiring visuals, the well-orchestrated fights, and the jaunty MIDI, this is one of the most memorable maps I've played. You knocked the heavenly city theme out of the park. Well done! 

Updated the submission list! I'll be using it as my primary resource while I'm compiling, so please let me know if it has any errors.

Completed the map i was working on this noon, kinda challenging but it's beatable.

Title: A mysterious pattern

Author: Walter

Format: Limit Removing

Music: "Wank City" by Megasphere (Master Levels midi pack)

Difficulty Settings: No

Tested in: CRL 1.5

Build Time: A pair of days

Textures: A ripped off patched texture from lostres (GRAYROT), 2 flats from useful flats, a void sky from CC4-tex, all renamed under the TER supphix

Description: A small map inspired by 10x10 and textures that i don't use too much in my maps, the result was pretty satisfying!

More screenshots over the two i posted some day ago:

Spoiler

DOOM03.png

DOOM04.png

DOOM06.png

Edited by Walter confetti : Changed to V2

@Walter confetti Quick thing to fix (assuming this isn't intentional), but you can skip straight to the exit by climbing the fence where the red key is, thanks to the pentagram. You could beat the level in under 15 seconds, but it was a fun/wacky level regardless, I enjoyed cheating playing it.

Fixed the sector pentgram skip plus added a pair more crackled floor details in outdoors and changed the hellknight to a archvile in the cage hall, download is on the original post above

My entry Dominatrix (E4M1 re-imagining) is nearing completion! Here's some screenies:

Spoiler

91vQpkd.png

fNjoKwV.png

sFSFRj6.png

EgmifYK.png

7V444HX.png

FzGz1JO.png

ezgmOWX.png

1Ogi0mg.png

SEqErOx.png

It takes UV-difficulty E4M1 to an extreme and features tricky and outright hostile encounters while providing not a single shred of health. Only for masochists!!

Hey Friends, I actually just finished my very first doom map!  I'm planning on release in a day or two, but I stumbled upon this thread and would love to submit my map, but unfortunately due to the custom song I made and having the option to switch between midi and the high fidelity soundtrack in-game, the final file size comes up just short of 135mb - with about 125mb being simply the song... would this disqualify the map due to size limits? Everything else in the WAD is strictly doom2. no custom resources - made for GZDoom

Thanks!

2095041927_Screenshot2023-12-19232408.png.9aa48860642a7a0e6374049b8591ba12.png

@shroomzy5000 You will need to at least convert the music to .ogg or .mp3 because that is way too big lol 👍 I'm looking forward to seeing some screenies of your map. I bet it's a big one 😊

1 hour ago, shroomzy5000 said:

Hey Friends, I actually just finished my very first doom map!  I'm planning on release in a day or two, but I stumbled upon this thread and would love to submit my map, but unfortunately due to the custom song I made and having the option to switch between midi and the high fidelity soundtrack in-game, the final file size comes up just short of 135mb - with about 125mb being simply the song... would this disqualify the map due to size limits? Everything else in the WAD is strictly doom2. no custom resources - made for GZDoom

Thanks!

2095041927_Screenshot2023-12-19232408.png.9aa48860642a7a0e6374049b8591ba12.png

I'd recommend exporting the song as either MP3 or OGG, never FLAC or WAV. I usually prefer OGG whenever I'm using that format because I can lower the bitrate to about 48-64kbps and it usually does not affect the quality of the song at all. The file size should be way, way smaller then because right now that music file alone is close to the same size as Sunder. ^-^

@Obsidian Here's my submission! It requires OTEX - will I need to bundle the used textures into this wad?

|||| DOMINATRIX ||||

tnrTrcO.png

<<<<Thanks to Mechadon for the sky texture!>>>>

Author: DoctorNuriel

Music: "Closer" - Nine Inch Nails (MIDI Arrangement)

Tested in: GZDoom

Multiplayer support: Co-op Only

Jumping: No

Crouching: No

Freelook: Allowed

Size: Small

Difficulty implemented: Yes

Est. playtime: 8 to 10 minutes

////

Meet Hell Beneath's dark sister. The original E4M1's UV difficulty experience has been taken to its extreme, with not a single drop of health provided.

Have fun... and good luck.

There is no safeword.

////

Download here!

15 hours ago, JaySmithen said:

@shroomzy5000 You will need to at least convert the music to .ogg or .mp3 because that is way too big lol 👍 I'm looking forward to seeing some screenies of your map. I bet it's a big one 😊

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LRlxI2a0eDPuLcfKZOKdip0GvH6pcWqy?usp=drive_link

Here you go!  Got a ton of screenshots in the drive. They are dated though, so almost all of them are about 3 weeks old.  many more of the finer details have been added in.  and there are tons of areas of the map not depicted.  I think what im going to do is release 2 wads.  one with the bigger file size and the in-game switch between flac and midi.  The other i will strip the flac entirely which will drop the WAD down to about 10mb.  I will use that wad for this submission!  Thank you for the advice!  Hope you find the map worth trying out!  As my first map i really want as much feedback as possible so i can become a better level designer :)

15 hours ago, Phoenyx said:

I'd recommend exporting the song as either MP3 or OGG, never FLAC or WAV. I usually prefer OGG whenever I'm using that format because I can lower the bitrate to about 48-64kbps and it usually does not affect the quality of the song at all. The file size should be way, way smaller then because right now that music file alone is close to the same size as Sunder. ^-^

ima give ogg a shot - i made a post yesterday asking about file size and plums gave me some great links for file converters, i just used the flac one for no specific reason lol

15 hours ago, Phoenyx said:

Okay you right - OGG is the truth.  I can notice a difference when listening to just the raw audio file but that's probably just because I have a trained ear.  No way to tell the difference when youre in there killing demons!

OGG dropped map size down to 14.8mb and i didnt have to compromise by removing one of the song files :)

image.png.f53dc3d5fa3841a56f400ffe4ead0d30.png

Really appreciate you.  The file size was the biggest thing preventing me from launch, but now that this is good to go, im setting up the google drive to launch now!

I will make an offical launch post and also circle back to this thread to submit the map!

Thank you guys so much!

My submission!

And its only 14mb now cuz you guys rule

Doomworld release post:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/142281-uac-blacksite-my-first-release-availible-now/?tab=comments#comment-2748880

Straight to the map:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1LRlxI2a0eDPuLcfKZOKdip0GvH6pcWqy?usp=sharing

Author: Shroomzy5000

Music: Blacksite by me & personal friend

Tested in: GZDoom

Multiplayer support: NO :(

Jumping: No

Crouching: No

Freelook: Allowed & Strongly recommended....

Size: i think its small compared to some wads ive seen but its got alot goin on i think

All Difficulty implemented: Yes

Est. playtime: kind of a while because im bad.  like UV takes me an hour+, the par time is just different so i could learn stuff in slade lol

306896380_UACBConcrete.jpg.c1adc640a0a094e49c2df7fb77ad9354.jpg1241443575_UACBRedkeyHall.jpg.a955a545ec1e869c212baa7b5cbc0d37.jpg861135896_UACBCourtyard.jpg.da2e9881701e8ca435fcc834b3002a31.jpg1540783773_UACBTurbine.jpg.83a2a14feeddc3e27ec69b1ca4286105.jpg1180983468_UACBYellowKeyHall.jpg.a22948f510a195ed463c9aebaa448966.jpg