Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Doomworld Maximum Project 2023 - Uploaded!

If you're still accepting new people, I'll join! I really just wanna get some work out there (and deal with the approximately 5 quintillion unfinished maps on my hard drive)

9 hours ago, lubba127 said:

posting progress images on my map:

Love the ancient Greece style of this!

Here's my submission: STO-The-Black-Lodge.zip

My map is called The Black Lodge. The inspiration for this map came from the show, Twin Peaks. The show features a surreal, alternate dimension known as the Black Lodge - an ominous realm shrouded in darkness, red curtains, and chevron-patterned floors, inhabited by malevolent spirits. The imagery and atmosphere of the Black Lodge has captivated me for years, so it seems only right that I should pay homage to it in a Doom map. Therefore, the last section of the map is a traversal through the Lodge itself. Most of the map, however takes place on the "threshold" of the Lodge, in a network of demonic monuments and temples consumed by an abstract, sanguine void.

To quote Dep. Hawk from Twin Peaks:

"The legend says that every spirit must pass through there on the way to perfection. There, you will meet your own shadow self. My people call it 'The Dweller on the Threshold' ... But it is said, if you confront the Black Lodge with imperfect courage, it will utterly annihilate your soul."

I've implemented difficulty settings for the map, which can be described as follows:
Hard - for those who want a real challenge - a map full of Plutonia-style traps, as well as some slaughter-lite and full-on slaughter encounters. 
    Don't worry, this ain't no Sunlust... but hopefully it'll get your blood pumping. :)
Medium - for those desiring a challenge, but with some sting removed during the more difficult encounters. 
Easy - for those who want a truly casual experience with heavily sanitized but (hopefully) fun encounters.

Map Name: The Black Lodge
Map Number: MAP01 (can fit any slot though - just used MAP01 for development)
Author: stochastic

Play Time: 30-40 minutes (feel free to save!)
Development Time: 4 months
Format: Boom
Difficulties: Implemented
Source Ports Tested On: GZDoom 4.6.1, PrBoom-plus/GlBoom-plus 2.5.1.4, dsda-doom 0.26.2
Music: Outer Darkness by PRIMEVAL
Textures: Mostly vanilla Doom II textures with some additional custom textures (all credits in README.txt)
Doom Editor: Ultimate Doom Builder R4091, SLADE

Screenshots:

BlackLodgeMap.PNG.83c09045ab7caf765ff8e2282ec78bee.PNG

BL.png.56c47ac4dc6405b32d779129b99d5f34.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20231209_014832.jpg.9fe5697d9c6be87759a61c3f53ccab91.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20231209_014107.jpg.373aac79ed1ef42694b6ba338206220c.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20231211_233701.jpg.303205e49c60c42ed3c3eecacfc51427.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20231211_233406.jpg.f69ed888e8f85f85b63d2c80f311e2c6.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20231211_233504.jpg.a152660a9227e99ff2e9cdc6ac257e8f.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20231210_192943.jpg.8371324cfe499cc04e82c3c276af68a2.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20231210_183303.jpg.798a4cd00314f41cc3ab4c378fe50821.jpg

Screenshot_Doom_20230828_184521.png.11611eb476b016c826cdfe8c9feb710e.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230829_203710.png.6f478e2dcf805416418b5193d6d95d4c.png

Screenshot_Doom_20231213_001218.jpg.90ab674354fa0cfe9371406977425d65.jpg

Edited by stochastic : Posted final submission file with nerfed fights and extra visuals

14 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Digging the hell out of those shots @stochastic, really good use of the stock textures! :D

Thanks, Obsidian! I really enjoy stock-textured maps, and wanted to try to get as much mileage as I could with them while I'm getting my feet wet with mapping. Probably will branch out and experiment more with future maps, though :)

My submission this year, in UDMF format:

Loathed Industry

I know I often say that my new maps are the most difficult yet, but I honestly believe that this time. With less than 100 monsters, this map packs a punch, even on HNTR. Included are my two types of turret enemies, and the MIDI "Magni-Fi" by Jimmy. 

Let me know what you all think!

loathed2.jpg

loathed.jpg

On 9/2/2023 at 9:49 PM, Melodic Spaceship said:

I'm interested in submitting a map. (It'll be my first single-player Doom 2 level.)

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Btw, the final version of my map is below (fixed some last minute stuff):

Final version

I'm going to playtest at least a few of these, giving my thoughts and a personal difficulty rating out of 6 (like the Ramp series, 1 being easiest), both for fun and to make sure everything runs properly. I was wondering, @Obsidian, if you'll implement difficulty ratings in this project? I feel having ratings in a project like this is a good idea, especially as it helps streamers choose which maps are the best for them.

First up:

Corruption by Sincity2100

Completed on UV, 100% kills and secrets

Difficulty: Barely reaches a 3

This one's great fun. A well-detailed, somber romp through a hellish base filled with blood. Corruption is full of traps, many of which seem nasty. Because of plentiful health and ammo, you have leeway in how you choose to confront them. The one exception is the Spider Mastermind room, where you need to destroy the Spider Momma first if you want to get through unscathed. 

Sincity2100 uses just the right amount of aesthetics to make the map look great without the detailing getting in the way. A very fun experience.

Just a small teaser for the hell of it. I decided to make a sort of unholy mash between Vrack III (one of my all-time favorite maps) and one of those 'underground base' maps a la Community Chest. Can't tell by the screenshots, but to get some patterns I had to cut sectors pixel by pixel :S Still a loooong way to go, but I should make it by the deadline.  

image.png.09ebb23f184c6a1d2950215107a7ca58.png

image.png.f27d8308ab81b11c5b871b72f5870fd6.png

18 minutes ago, DerBlanca said:

Just a small teaser for the hell of it. I decided to make a sort of unholy mash between Vrack III (one of my all-time favorite maps) and one of those 'underground base' maps a la Community Chest. Can't tell by the screenshots, but to get some patterns I had to cut sectors pixel by pixel :S Still a loooong way to go, but I should make it by the deadline. 

Those shots are looking good, DerBlanca!

My next map review is:

Cliffside Assault by @Yousuf Anik

Completed on UV, 100% kills and 75% secrets (missed the Megasphere one)

Difficulty: 3

An intense and short romp, for sure! Cliffside Assault reminds me of my submission, only more structured. The combat starts off heated, with Revs behind you and a slew of hitscanners and Mancs in the room ahead. Once I got my footing (and the SSG), it became a matter of clearing out some of the annoying fodder (Revenants on cliffs, roaming Chaingunners.)

The use of textures is fantastic. It felt like custom ones were used, but nope; they're all stock.

Ammo was tight at the end, especially against the last Cyber. Perhaps adding one or two single shell pickups would help.

The Megasphere secret may be a bit too hidden, especially as the switch is in a dark area. I had to look up how to get it in UDB afterwards. Not a big deal, though.

Overall, this is a great map.

@obake Hey there, thanks very much for your review! Yes, that megapshere secret is little more hidden. One have to look at that part more carefully to reveal it ;)

Path to the Forbidden Temple by @dashlet

Completed on UV, 98% kills, 0% secrets

Difficulty: 5 (would be a 6 if it was longer)

I'm impressed by this project so far, in that there are maps with small monster counts (like this one) that still pack a punch. Path to the Forbidden Temple is daunting, a large landscape overlooking deadly poison. Add to that this is a platforming map.

It starts out not too difficult. It is split into different vignettes atop various arenas, each with their own array of baddies. I missed both the SSG and Rocket Launcher the first time, meaning once I got to the small Caco and Rev room, I was unable to get any further. I started over and was able to complete the map.

The aforementioned room is the highlight, a gauntlet of Cacos, Revs, a PE and an Archvile. In a cool twist, the Vile is the least of your worries, and easily avoided. The real threat is everything else pouring into the room.

Unfortunately, the big set piece battle afterwards is more of a chore than fun. The room with the reappearing Viles, Revs, and Knights on teleport platforms took many, many attempts. That in and of itself is not the problem. The problem is that it is annoying to get through it, especially as the Viles attacks spew you into random directions off the platforms. 

Otherwise, this is a fine map. The setting is great (again, stock textures used to their fullest potential), and most of the map, save for the final battle, is fun. My only real suggestion is to replace one or two of the Viles at the end with a lesser monster, perhaps more Knights. That way it would still be difficult without being overly frustrating.

Standing Stones by @Salmon

Completed on UV, 100% kills, 50% secrets

Difficulty: 4

Standing Stones uses lots of honeycomb sectors, giving it a distinct feel. I really, really dig the aesthetics, the blend of hellish canyon and techbase being flawless. The gameplay is also good.

You start out in an open arena with two Cyber sentries ready to ruin your day if you stand still for too long. Despite their intimidating presence, they are not too bad of an obstacle. It's the other baddies that present a problem, especially the swarms of Revs and Hell Knights. The twisting nature of the architecture, especially near stairs, is perfect for Rev missiles to follow you. 

The end of the map is also lots of fun. The lowering walls with Knights, Barons, and Pinkies is devious. Perhaps more so than the Archies. Overall, Standing Stones is great.

I think I have to start figuring out UDMF

I will be doing this for sure.

(If I can figure out the beast which is UDMF)

8 minutes ago, Raith138 said:

I think I have to start figuring out UDMF

I will be doing this for sure.

(If I can figure out the beast which is UDMF)

The UDMF Haiku

I finished my map! It's a limit-removing map called "Tribulation Facility" and uses the track "Spaced Out" from Demonstar. This map takes a bit of influence from TNT, and I also tried to use every normal enemy at least once. Credit goes to @Plerb for helping to playtest it and coming up with the final name.

I tested this primarily in Crispy Doom, on HMP while intentionally avoiding the secrets and on UV while getting all the secrets.

Download it here: TribulationFacility.wad

Screenshot:

Spoiler

DOOM0001.png.06332ccd1345b4b10fe389d94f2207d6.png

Alright, map's done! I had a few ideas bouncing around, but I made this and thought, "Yep, that's somewhat passable." Please tell me if anything goes wrong, breaks, or is just unfun. Details are below:

• Map Name : Waste Treatment
  • Format Boom: Doom 2 (Doom Format)
  • Difficulty Settings : Yes. Keep in mind, they might not be balanced that well, as I'm complete dogshit.
  • Tested in : Prboom+, GZDoom
  • Build Time : I'd say about 12 hours at most. (Not accounting for all the scrapped maps.)

Screenshots are in the spoilers. Otherwise, enjoy!

< Changelog >

10/16/2023 - Balanced UV difficulty better thanks to @needsF00DBadly's feedback (Thank you!!). Also, retooled the room with the vats.

Spoiler

DO2XDAP.png

lZZWg3T.png

U5KbTnq.png

Waste Treatment V2.rar

Waste Treatment V1.rar

Edited by minimedals : Made an update to the map.

On 4/10/2023 at 2:38 PM, eltiolavara9 said:

not insanely late this time

map name: dreamer 

boom compatible, kinda weird and gimmicky space map

dreamer.rar

100% kills might be impossible

updated it to make one part less unfair and the penultimate part way less annoying only if you're not playing on UV

i'll update it again if 100% kills being possible without basically having to do the whole map melee-only is needed :pScreenshot_Doom_20231002_224142.png.c1221dbc9b608c2f902704e02f0e0108.png

dreamer.zip

I think I'll join as well, just to add more chaos. I've got a map my ego is proud of.

If nobody minds, I've got my level here I'd like to share. It's an experimental map based on a Mario Kart track. Either run through it like a race track, or play it the traditional Doom style.

If any issues are found before January 1st, I'd love to have it brought to my attention.

Name : SNES Cyberdemon's Castle

Format : Boom Format

Build Time : A week, with some finishing touches over the past few days.

Midi : Bowser's Castle from MK Super Circuit in Midi Format (Found at https://themushroomkingdom.net/media/mksc/mid)

Difficulty : 6-7/10. A tough challenge on UV, but extra power-ups and less enemies are provided on easier difficulties)

Play Time : About 20-40 minutes depending on the difficulty, or around 2 minutes if you treat it as a race track.

Tested in : PRBoom 2.1.1, GZDoom 3.5.0. (Boom did have slight rendering issues, but hardly noticeable.)

Textures used : Vanilla Doom II textures plus sky texture ripped from Ultimate Doom E2M8.

Download : snes_cyberdemons_castle.zip

Screenshots :

Spoiler

1529988062_Screenshot2023-10-04172545.png.fdaad7431b8ca33e7d4e66300b54b25b.png826389529_Screenshot2023-10-04172612.png.445d3969402cdec166de1f86d9b2c819.pngScreenshot_Doom_20231004_203357.png.3076ec0a4f638707cdef928aa65776a5.png