Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Rowdy Rudy II: POWERTRIP (Development Thread)

On 5/31/2020 at 5:16 PM, Doom_Dude said:

@Dimon12321 Can you please post an automap screenie where the issue is located? I don't see any issues in GZDoom.

Starting point. Should I do that anyway?

@Doom_Dude, here is another bug. Actual for latest PrBoom and GLBoom on any complevel. The first crack on the right from the starting point.

Spoiler

bugged-ceiling-floor.png

Edited by Dimon12321 : Switch image host to free DW attachment space

16 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

Starting point. Should I do that anyway?

Ok thanks. No, you don't have to. Looking in the wad file for the issue.

[edit] Ok found the issue. There's four flats that are double defined in the .wad. Somehow the .png's are still in there. Deleting ABDROK2.png, ABDROK3.png, CAMO_CN1.png and SLAD_GR1.png will fix the problem, which was an issue at an earlier time. Doomkid's fault! He put them back in when nobody was lookin! :P

[edit] And we already know about the missing texture. Doomkid removed lava00 so that's why there's a missing texture. ;)

Edited by Doom_Dude

Here is some advanced walkthrough for you.

Part 1 (Maps 1-7)

Spoiler

Started playing on -complevel 2, but then realized that Map 8 cannot be complete on Vanilla Doom. Further maps will be played with a clean inventory. Little time messing around doing nothing.

Recorded almost lossless 720p60, but YouTube has greatly chopped the quality.

Here is a Doom lmp file. Should playback fine on any sourceport.

rudy2-walkthrough.zip

Part 2 (Maps 8-11)

Spoiler

This time, it's a regular 1080p60 recording. Maps 10 and 11 are really hard. Complevel 17

rudy2-maps8-11.zip

Edited by Dimon12321

Part 3 (Maps 12-15)

Spoiler

Part 4 (Maps 16-20)

Spoiler

Here is a Doom lmp file, which completes maps 8-20. complevel 17

rudy4.zip

Thanks for watching =)

Edited by Dimon12321

@Dimon12321 Thanks for playing! This was the first continuous play video of my map I've watched, and I'm glad to see it doesn't become completely trivial even with some leftover ammo from previous maps. I'm also glad you embraced the berserk against the AVs. Hope you enjoyed it!

@Aurelius, could you please explain something? How does that giant door work? You're supposed to kill all 4 mancubuses in order to open it, but what does it have to do with the imp and the barrel in closets outside the map?

What is the tripper for those 2 invisible walls to lower down (back)? I'm curious if it's possible to get to the "E8" teleport beforehand and telefrag the cyberdemon.

Spoiler

linedef-tripper.png

Thank you for a positive feedback. I died 5 times while playing this map =)

5 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

How does that giant door works? You're supposed to kill all 4 mancubuses in order to open it, but what does it has to do with the imp and the barrel in closets outside the map?

What is the tripper for those 2 invisible walls to lower down (back)? I'm curious if it's possible to get to the "E8" teleport beforehand and telefrag the cyberdemon.

The original setup for the door was that when you first enter the area below, a floor starts to raise beneath the mancubuses (mancubi?), but is unable to do so because they block the movement. It keeps on rising indefinitely until you kill them, after which you see the cola pillars rise. Then, when they reach the topmost position, it will allow an imp outside the map to walk across a narrow gap that it was unable to before. It activates a walkover door action that is merged with the door you see opening in the map. Then it moves a bit further and teleports onto yet another sector, where a part of that sector is also merged with the door. The floor heights are made just right so that the teleported imp blocks the door from closing. This made it look like the door was jammed open. The imp was later killed by a barrel explosion nearing the end of the level for 100% kills.

After fiddling with this technique a bit further while working on my 1K Lines 2 puzzle map, I found a more elegant solution. Instead of the imp teleporting to block the door, I have the door merged with a sector that has an adjacent sector with a barrel in it, and the barrel has it's hitbox partly within the door sector. This adjacent sector and the barrel are situated just high enough so that when the door opens, the ceiling of the door sector will be exactly at the height of the top of the barrel. When the door tries to close, the barrel prevents it (barrels block door movement when closing, but not when opening.) Since these control sectors are far away in the distance, you can't hear the door attempting to close, making the original Door Open Wait Close action seem like a Door Open Stay action, minus the sound.

The two invisible walls are only there to prevent the pinkies (or red whatever devil spawns they are now) from clumping up in that corner before you walk up the stairs. So they are there to invisibly control monster movement. 

You can move to the secret teleporter at any time, and one of it's main functions is to be used to telefrag the cybie. You can see a fairly optimal strategy I used in my playthrough of the map that uses the aforementioned secret area.

EDIT:
Oh, and @Doomkid here is the finalest of the final versions of my map.

- Removed a green armor that nobody really needed.

- Removed a softlock nobody even found.

- Added a surprise revenant(!)

Edited by Aurelius

10 hours ago, Moustachio said:

@Doomkid Yet another slight revision of Map13, this time upping the brightness in the jungle area a bit as per @Aurelius's feedback.

Have you removed that unused Blue keycard? And what about those Line Horizon linedefs outside the map that only GZDoom can read?

1 hour ago, Dimon12321 said:

And what about those Line Horizon linedefs outside the map that only GZDoom can read?

They don't cause compatibility problems because vanilla just ignores them safely (no crash or glitch). It's a cosmetic bonus in ZDoom-compatible ports, with no detrimental impact on other ports.

7 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

Have you removed that unused Blue keycard? And what about those Line Horizon linedefs outside the map that only GZDoom can read?

Unused blue key card? That's the first I've heard of it. 

On 6/3/2020 at 11:56 PM, Moustachio said:

Unused blue key card? That's the first I've heard of it. 

Thing 1, and I see it in your update R2.

Spoiler

blue-card-oob.png

@Doomkid i did a restart trying to simplify my ambitions. Working on the map as a side project when i feel inspirated so I won't promise anything.

Here's the link to the new update of my map with the tweaks you asked for, pretty much the same map, just with the minor hot start, health bonuses and improved horizon effect Link

The layout of my map is done. It only took me 9 months, did i say i am slow mapper? Going to playtest and a do a detailing pass now.

6 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

It only took me 9 months

it is quite fast. i still have to finish my first map i started 20 years ago. i wish i could map with your speed...

So glad to see all this progress on the mapping front, fellas. Definitely going to be compiling a new build with all the updates soon (including MikeyScoots’ map being accessible through a secret that only activates in ZDoom-based ports). Awesome work, everyone.

50 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

So glad to see all this progress on the mapping front, fellas. Definitely going to be compiling a new build with all the updates soon (including MikeyScoots’ map being accessible through a secret that only activates in ZDoom-based ports). Awesome work, everyone.

So, limit-removing ports won't be able to do that? Boom linedef actions are more available. Well, less work for me =)

Have you figured out what to do with the chaingun's strobe effect?

@MikeyScoots, maybe you know that, but there are some enemies stuck in walls: things 226, 227 and 360.

Tag 57 is missing, so shooting the core (linedefs 9860 - 9863) does nothing.

Edited by Dimon12321

Here is my updated map.  Grim_Sector(map16).zip

Also Doomkid, remember to kill the PNG versions of these flats ABDROK2, ABDROK3, CAMO_CN1 and SLAD_GR1. They're causing visual errors that make my map look like shit in some ports.

That's a good point, perhaps I should make it a Boom-compat deal since PrBoom+ would run Mikey's map just fine from what I can tell. I was going to have a secret exit in one of the earlier maps and use MAPINFO to define it, which is why I was thinking ZDoom-compat, but I suppose a "Boom and up" secret exit that exits from map15 would be totally acceptable as well.

EDIT: Will make sure to get those images converted over to the proper format, Doom_Dude!

You don't have to convert them. They're in the wad as both formats. Just have to delete the png versions.

Edited by Doom_Dude

On 6/8/2020 at 5:50 PM, NeedHealth said:

What is the stance on multiplayer?

I'm not a master of analyzing, but judging by thing placements and flags, I'd rather say "Yes, but no no". Some maps don't even have starting points for co-op play, so concerns deathmatch spawns, let alone exclusive weapons and ammo. On the other hand, other maps are filled with "Multiplayer only" stuff pretty well.

Edited by Dimon12321

@Doomkid

My map is ready to test. In the next version i'll add multiplayer, probably more doodad and what ever bug fixes you people found. This map has a key location dependent on skill level and delayed tripwire. The latter I will probably remove.

name: Sinners' Wood

Music: Accelerator.mid by AD_79. The text file in the *.zip still says "unknown". I can't update it right now.

e1- old link 

Edited by NeedHealth

10 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

It's by AD_79

Thank you, the folder I got it from says something like "ad_midifiles". I suspected actually for some arcane reason unknown to me that the midi files inside where created by AD_79. But I wanted to err on the side of caution.

Edited by NeedHealth

On 6/8/2020 at 7:30 PM, NeedHealth said:

My map is ready to test. In the next version i'll add multiplayer, probably more doodad and what ever bug fixes you people found. This map has a key location dependent on skill level and delayed tripwire. The latter I will probably remove.

Silly explanations:

Spoiler

- I haven't found any bugs. Maybe, a hidden switch (linedef 372) wasn't intended, but a green armor behind it really comes in handy. During my first walkthrough, I caught a bad RNG and a single rocketman's fireball killed me with 80 HP and zero AP.

- The bars around the arch-vile (thing 27) are really high. I had spent several attempts on it before I finally made that lucky shot that destroyed the barrels.

- I didn't feel like fighting the cyberdemon, even though the cell amount is just enough to kill him. Telefraging him took me 9 attempts since I can't really predict when exactly he would cross the teleport destination spot. Those platforms are tight for him, so he keeps doing laps.

Suggestions:

Spoiler

1. The switch (linedef 4185) for the secret teleport is too small. Enlarge it a little so people could spot it easier.

2. Change the linedef 590 action to "Lift Lower Wait Raise". That secret is really easy to get once you've found that switch.

3. Lower the bars around thing 27 a little, so we can detonate the barrels easier.

4. The sticks (sector 536) don't actually block the way out. Fix it, or what?

@Doomkid, Is it just me or psycho-imp has a wrong sprite in the sequence of performing an attack? Look like its 1st frame (backswing) isn't correct at times. If it was facing you before the attack decision, then 1st frame is correct. If it wasn't facing you, you'll see its back sprite, but then it turns around at 180 degree.

Spoiler

wrong-first-sprite.png