Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sunnyfruit

The Dean of Doom series (companion thread)

The MAP29 section was one of his best moments. Haven't played that behemoth myself but was always interested in it and while I knew it was big I had no idea of the extent of it. Was also interesting that his reaction towards most of the wad was more lukewarm than abject negativity, given the wad's reputation with a lot of people.

4 hours ago, DisgruntledPorcupine said:

The MAP29 section was one of his best moments. Haven't played that behemoth myself but was always interested in it and while I knew it was big I had no idea of the extent of it. Was also interesting that his reaction towards most of the wad was more lukewarm than abject negativity, given the wad's reputation with a lot of people.

There is no describing this map. You just have to play it. Make sure you have a few hours then go for it.

Loved how soon the new episode aired! Here’s hoping for more Dean episodes.

Usually new episode leaves me wanting to play the wad in question, but Community Chest 1… not so much. I did play the first map a few months ago, and this time I do agree with MtPain27. Not a great introduction, because according to my own bookkeeping, that’s as far as I have played CC. And I’m not really looking forward to getting back to it now, unless I try out the valedictorian and the salutatorian. And MAP29…

On 2/3/2022 at 1:06 AM, Use said:

:(

I guess this is neither here nor there but I thought your two cchest1 maps were great.

7 hours ago, Dynamo said:

I guess this is neither here nor there but I thought your two cchest1 maps were great.

I went back and partially played those 2 maps . I didn't recognize them on MtPain's review. Then again my memory is sketchy these days and it never was good. Sometimes he goes through them so fast. I particularly enjoyed map 13 for the same reasons as 29. Long and difficult with lots of scenery changes. 

When I play the wad this weekend, I'm guessing that the good stuff will start coming back to me. I dissed most of the wad based on MtPain's review. Unfair of me.

I owe Use and the other mappers a fair look at least if I'm going to open my mouth.

I understand that there is preferred way to review wads here at DW. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Borg, there is a seriously broken review section which you’re free to use (under “downloads” at the top of the front page). The file selection is over 5 years out of date, and a bunch of stuff from 2017/early 2018 (the last time new files were added) straight up gives you the wrong file when you try to download it.. So it’s more like a place to review old wads strictly.

Just letting you know so you tread carefully in that area, lol. CC is old enough to be fine.

Man I've been off this forum for awhile, I love Dean of Doom and am happy there's a thread specifically for his videos.

On the topic of CC, Map 29 looks absolutely ridiculous. There's slaughter maps, then there's maps that are hard and obnoxious for the sake of being hard and obnoxious. I agree with Mt that just because your map looks cool and is large and complex doesn't mean it will be fun to play.

Then again I feel bad criticizing a map that was made before the author passed away.

MtPain27 talking about Community Chest is a blessing for me, now when it wins the DWMegawad Club inevitably I know what to be scared of :)

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Borg, there is a seriously broken review section which you’re free to use (under “downloads” at the top of the front page). The file selection is over 5 years out of date, and a bunch of stuff from 2017/early 2018 (the last time new files were added) straight up gives you the wrong file when you try to download it.. So it’s more like a place to review old wads strictly.

Just letting you know so you tread carefully in that area, lol. CC is old enough to be fine.

Thanks but I'm over feeling bad about it. Nobody gives a shit what I think about that wad. I am going to play 29 this weekend though and I'm going to set it up right. Turn the phone off even though I may miss out on a chance to extend the warranty of my 2006 truck and a 12 pack of Modelo.

4 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

I agree with Mt that just because your map looks cool and is large and complex doesn't mean it will be fun to play.

I feel that way about The Mucus Flow.

Getting back on topic, I just now skim-played Community Chest 1 and I agree with Dean of Doom. The maps are either boring or infuriatingly hard.

7 minutes ago, E.M. said:

I feel that way about The Mucus Flow.

It's funny you say that cause a few hours ago I just saw your review on the map on another thread talking about that map. I'm not particularly fond with those types of levels either.

15 hours ago, Borg said:

I understand that there is preferred way to review wads here at DW. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

11 hours ago, Doomkid said:

That.

If I felt like reviewing newer ones, I'd start threads, either individual ones for substantive reviews*, or a sort of all-encompassing general purpose review thread everyone can post in if it was just a few sentences. Kind of surprising no one has done the latter already. 

*(Also ignore the possible post or two by someone pointing out it should be a status update because it shouldn't be.) 

His review of CATEOE was heartfelt.  And, strangely, it makes the level seem very intriguing.  I like the premise of an "assault" type level on a very well-fortified hell castle, and its innards don't make any damn sense, in a rather pleasing way.  Apart from the overflowing malice, anyway.

So......I kinda just played Map29 and....I really really enjoyed it lmao :p 

Massive personal disagree with his take (kinda because I dont mind save scumming and spending hours on adventure maps) but I can see why he'd react so strongly to how this map plays and how grindy it is. 

Any more like it? :3

17 hours ago, rd. said:

or a sort of all-encompassing general purpose review thread everyone can post in if it was just a few sentences. Kind of surprising no one has done the latter already. 

There is this thread:

And we still don't have Memento Mori and Antaresian Legacy...these are starting to feel a bit more like impulse records, as much as they can be of course.

These maps look delicious, I don't think I've been playing many stuff that aren't slaughtery so I think I will give it a try.

(I hope one day we can get sunlust episode, just   hoping. I think there are a few footages of him playing sunlust in that joke episode so)

6 minutes ago, Nefelibeta said:

(I hope one day we can get sunlust episode, just   hoping. I think there are a few footages of him playing sunlust in that joke episode so)

Check out ~14:19 in this new episode.
MtPain27 is quite the teaser. :)

24 minutes ago, Nefelibeta said:

These maps look delicious, I don't think I've been playing many stuff that aren't slaughtery so I think I will give it a try.

Pretty sure he said that Sunlust will be the very last episode of the entire series

Just now, i suck at nicknames said:

Pretty sure he said that Sunlust will be the very last episode of the entire series

yeah, well, he was also less confident in his doom skills at the time. pretty sure he just wanted everyone to leave him alone.

38 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

And we still don't have Memento Mori and Antaresian Legacy...these are starting to feel a bit more like impulse records, as much as they can be of course.

I do hope he reviews the MM duology and Requiem soon. I've completed both MM's and am almost finished with Requiem and I wanna see Mt's thoughts on them.

Requiem Map 15 in particular might be my favorite map theme in a Doom wad.

39 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I think we can expect at lease BTSX 2 and Resurgence this season at the very least. 

Personally, I want him to tackle 180 pour vivre and Fractured Worlds....

Fractured Worlds is pretty tough, especially for map05. But it's rather short so at least we can hope.

(I remember the last few maps from resurgence are kinda brutal(in comparison))

17 minutes ago, i suck at nicknames said:

I think we can expect at lease BTSX 2

Given how little he enjoyed the first one i wouldn't hold my breath on that