Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endalus127

Your thoughts on horror mods?

I really like doom for it's action heavy metal style but there is a part of me that always craves doom's horror side. Stuff like Doom 64, Doom 3, and a few horror mods here and there. I personally don't think there are enough good horror mods for doom. Most of the horror mods are poorly made or are poorly executed. Whenever I look for doom horror mod I just find a bunch of slender clones, jumpscare fests, and mods that aren't even doom-ish.

I wish there were more mods that maintained the fps gameplay of doom, just with a creepier theme and atmosphere. There are so many possibilities that I feel haven't been done with spooky modding.

If I get into doom map-making and modding, I would love to make a doom mod that has new maps, both original doom textures and new textures, with an over all creepy style with a few different scary things here and there. I would make it so the weapons in the mod aren't custom so that people could easily play this mod with mods like brutal doom.

What are your thoughts on horror-themed doom mods?

25 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

IMHO

I don't like horror mods. They are slow paced, mostly linear and not fun

Which is why I'm not a fan of most of the horror mods. I wish there were mods that were just normal doom gameplay but with creepy style overhaul.

I don't usually like horror mods because I have chronic anxiety and am too wimpy to play them! But they can be done really effectively - Cabin by @UndeadRyker was one recently that I enjoyed.

In a game like Doom where you have a lot of weaponry at your disposal, though, you'd want to severely limit what's available to the player - nothing's frightening if you're skulking around the woods with a Brutal Doom minigun in hand.

If you wanna retain Doom's core gameplay but add various horror elements to it, then I suggest checking out some horror gameplay mods and combining them with some well balanced level sets.

You got Shut Up and Bleed, which is probably the most complete survival horror experience you're likely to get outta doom as of now. If you like the base mod, be sure to check out the patch and addons too.

Then there's Dr. Cosmobyte's 2 survival horror mods. First is Nightshift, which has a more conservative arsenal, but more bells and whistles and heaps of customization options. Then second is Nightmare Logic, which has faster paced gameplay (by comparison) and a bigger arsenal than Nightshift, but is more simplistic in it's overall design. Super tiny file size too. Neither of these mods come with custom monsters, so feel free to throw some enemy mods in there!

There's a bunch of other ones, but my post is already too long. I also suggest checking out some more subtle ambience mods, which you can find in spades in the threads I linked to you

3 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

IMHO

I don't like horror mods. They are slow paced, mostly linear and not fun

Well I haven't played much horror mods, but the best horro isn't when the game is linear, on the contrary... the moment in FEAR that I feared the most were the optional area, the "out of the way stuff", because they was going to be a tradeoff... so I felt less comfortable.
Good horror is when the player has a choice to be made, a hard one, one that may directly impact you and not just the character in game, linear don't offer much choice.

Doom is a very good medium for Tcs, and open horror TCs must be great fun.

4 hours ago, Endalus127 said:

I personally don't think there are enough good horror mods for doom. Most of the horror mods are poorly made or are poorly executed. Whenever I look for doom horror mod I just find a bunch of slender clones, jumpscare fests, and mods that aren't even doom-ish

That's a pretty strange claim.

1) No good horror mods? What about Ghoul Forest 3, Unloved, Cold as Hell, Threshold of Pain, Doom Raider 2020, Soundless Mound, Total Chaos? You want to say they are not GOOD ENOUGH? Let me guess, you just never heard about those mods.

2) ...aren't even doom-ish... From what times being "Not Doom" is negative parameter? Well, the best Doom-ish horror mod for Doom is Doom...for Playstation. If you want such experience - I've already mentioned the T.O.P.

So I can say you just never tried to search for horror mods for real.

4 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

They are slow paced, mostly linear and not fun

This is also the strange claim.

FAST paced horror mods? What? Ok, forget about Doom mods. NAME the commercial VIDEOGAME which is HORROR and FAST paced. Silent Hill? Resident Evil (which are horror-genred)? Maybe Penumbra/Amnesia/SOMA/Outlast? Cry of Fear? Condemned? F.E.A.R.? No, they are not fast paced. Even FEAR, which is mostly shooter than horror is not fast as you could think.

As I can see you don't really need the HORROR mods. Because you don't even understand what HORROR genre meant to be and how it looks like.

Since you just want a regular Doom game with Darker ambient light and creepy music - play PSX Doom TC. Or Threshold of Pain at least.

Edited by Dexiaz

I prefer action horror mods, in my opinion survival horror just doesn't fit doom, but like i said, it's my opinion.

I like horror mods that are well executed, but I also like horror themed wads, they're cool too. As long if it's fun and it still feels like DOOM I like it! :) (Though I did liked ghosted and lasting light, so I guess that may be a slight contradiction...)

EDIT: I like the fast paced horror WADS/Mods. That's really what I'm trying to say.

Everyone has their own tastes when it comes to horror in Doom and it can come in numerous different forms. If you want to stick close to Doom's feel, I'd recommend good ol' Nightomb. If you're looking for something that strays away from the source material in lieu of emulating more horror-focused franchises, I'd second the recommendation of Soundless Mound. Heck, a couple of my projects could potentially fit in the criteria set in place.

Also I would caution against simply writing off some of the experiences that you didn't personally enjoy: some things can be quantified in terms of quality, definitely, but after a certain point things becomes a matter of opinion rather than objective fact. Horror is a nebulous thing that affects people in different ways and this is reflected in the various mediums that supply it, so it's likely that one particular medium might just not be for you if you didn't enjoy it. It's as simple as that.

4 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Also I would caution against simply writing off some of the experiences that you didn't personally enjoy: some things can be quantified in terms of quality, definitely, but after a certain point things becomes a matter of opinion rather than objective fact. Horror is a nebulous thing that affects people in different ways and this is reflected in the various mediums that supply it, so it's likely that one particular medium might just not be for you if you didn't enjoy it. It's as simple as that.

Fair enough. This is a subjective topic.

Also, Soundless Mound is a good one imo. ;)

19 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Everyone has their own tastes when it comes to horror in Doom and it can come in numerous different forms. If you want to stick close to Doom's feel, I'd recommend good ol' Nightomb. If you're looking for something that strays away from the source material in lieu of emulating more horror-focused franchises, I'd second the recommendation of Soundless Mound. Heck, a couple of my projects could potentially fit in the criteria set in place.

I remember Asylum of the Wretched making quite a splash with its horror theme back in the day, as well.