Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

[Release, GZDoom & K8] Freaky Panties V: I Love Penguins, a map done entirely in Eureka (v1.0.2, updated 23 Jan 2022)

Yes, penguins are awesome. 

Looks hela cool :D 

Just realised this but, there is no freaky panties 3? 

18 minutes ago, Yugiboy85 said:

Just realised this but, there is no freaky panties 3? 

There is! It was called Spoopy Panties and was the final level of WMC01.

Just now, LuciferSam86 said:

Really nice looking map, Remilia!

What hardware configuration do you suggest for playing with k8?

Short answer: I can run it on integrated Vega 3 graphics just fine.

Hmm.  I successfully use K8 on my laptop, which is a Ryzen 3 3200U with integrated Vega 3 graphics.  It's definitely on the weaker side, but it's perfectly playable on hardware like that IMO.  Most of the map was developed on that, in fact.  I don't know if I would go much lower, though.  I've tried to optimize the lighting so it won't run too horribly on older hardware, but there are still a few viewpoints where things can really slow down.

I detailed part of the map on my desktop (i9 + GTX 1080) and though I tried very hard to test it on my laptop as well whenever possible, I may have missed a few opportunities for optimization.

Oh good to hear, I should be covered with my 5600x . The only problem could be my GTX1060 :)

Thanks for the informations, can't wait to play it :)

Daaaaaaaaamn

I really want to get around to playing your mapography, I'm currently moving and it's hard to find the time for games, but I've been on the lookout for your stuff. At this rate I'll have to take a week off work to play everything. 

Oh man, another phenomenal map for the illustrious dark queen of techbases, Remilia Scarlet! I loved it. Gorgeous detailing, mouth-watering design, straightforward but nevertheless engaging progression and thrilling combat from beginning to end with fun set pieces! B-e-a-utiful.

Played on G-String because that's the most fun. Though if you wanna go commando, you know where to find me....

But no more bad puns please. We all know what to do with a Cyberdemon. At least the BFG doesn't require a master's degree in Doom texturing to unlock.

Nice nod to Extreme Terror at the end there, though that seemed a little harder. I think I never found the BFG there though....I still ended up being killed by the last little bolt the Overlord has shot out before being destroyed, boooooo

Just a small thing: while playing in GZDoom I can see the debug messages from the ACS script (kinda spoiling what's happening in the level).

I just recompiled the script from the source changing the line

#libdefine FORCE_DEBUG_MODE true

to

#libdefine FORCE_DEBUG_MODE false

EDIT: I just finished the level on GZDoom (k8 seems too much for my GPU) and I really liked it.

Edited by LuciferSam86

3 hours ago, LuciferSam86 said:

Just a small thing: while playing in GZDoom I can see the debug messages from the ACS script (kinda spoiling what's happening in the level). 

FAK.  I even made a mental note as I was doing a final playtest in GZDoom to disable those (they only show up on screen in GZDoom; in K8, they're only in the console and terminal window).  I'll release a hotfix soon for that.  Derp.

4 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

I still ended up being killed by the last little bolt the Overlord has shot out before being destroyed, boooooo

I'm considering nerfing the Overlord very slightly on lower difficulties.  Those damn vertical lightning bolts are what always get me lol

3 hours ago, LuciferSam86 said:

(k8 seems too much for my GPU)

If you want to try again, try these suggestions.  These are the first options I tweak to improve performance on weaker hardware:

• Turn down the shadowmap size and use bilinear filtering for the shadowmaps.  Disable them for corpses. (Options -> Video Options -> Shadowmap Options, the last menu item).
  • Disable decals (Options -> Video Options -> Decal Options), or disable the built-in gore mod.
  • Use lightmaps instead of shadowmaps (Options -> Video Options, look for 'level renderer').  Be sure to restart the level or use the `vidrestartrenderer` console command after changing this.
  • Lower your resolution.

v1.0.1 is out.  This removes the debug messages and fixes some very minor things.  Also, the Overlord doesn't shoot those damn vertical lightning bolts on ITYTD/HNTR anymore.  The complete changelog and downloads are in the OP.

On 1/20/2022 at 9:18 AM, Remilia Scarlet said:

Freaky Panties V is a map done entirely in Linux using only the Eureka level editor for mapping.  Yep, this was 100% made with Eureka. 

Most impressive! I already loved the first screenshots in that famous pictures thread. Relaxing music choice as well. I'll keeping an eye out for more Freaky Panties stuff!

How does working in Eureka worked out? Would you recommend it?

1 hour ago, sectrslayr said:

How does working in Eureka worked out? Would you recommend it? 

I started out in the 90s with DEU, so the quirks of Eureka actually felt comfortable and familiar. I'm also someone who, in UDB, rarely found use for all those nifty new features and tools, like the curve tool or 3d floor handling or the slope mode. I was already doing all that by hand out of habit in UDB, so Eureka was not a big jump.

I think I'd recommend Eureka for those who don't mind learning a different way of doing things, and can live without UDMF and PK3s (though looking at the source, apparently UDMF is being worked on). But really, at the end of the day, it's kinda the same as with operating systems: use what works for you. I use Linux because it works best for me. My wife uses Windows for the same reason. I might start using Eureka a lot more now because I've found some features of it simply irresistible, like it's browser panel :9 But not for all my maps yet.

On a side note, I did have to modify the source slightly to support a newer FLTK so I could use it on my 4k screen when I went from my laptop to desktop. If you have a 4k screen, I'd highly recommend waiting a while ;^)

On 1/20/2022 at 6:56 AM, LuciferSam86 said:

Oh a quick note for the people who want to try this level : you have to use the wad edition of OTEX, not the pk3 .

This seems like an oversight. I could not get flats to load until I read this comment... whatever is causing this should probably be rectified.

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve said:

This seems like an oversight. I could not get flats to load until I read this comment... whatever is causing this should probably be rectified.

IIRC I read the same thing in another thread for another WAD, so when I saw the pk3 version of OTEX didn't work was automatic for me to try the wad version of OTEX.

3 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Opening the PK3 and comparing it to the WAD, the PK3 is technically missing some things due to the naming scheme.  The flats in the wad are named Oblah (that's a capital O), while the pk3 has 0blah (that's a zero).  The flat OLGHTG09 is an example.

Here's a fresh pk3 from the OTEX wad that I made just now with the correct flat filenames using my own tools.  It seems to work in GZDoom and K8Vavoom for Freaky Panties 5, but I didn't do any extensive testing.  Note that some flats are named the same as textures, like OBASEK33, which looks similar though the wall texture version is a different size.  So maybe that's why the flats were renamed.  I'd say that the renaming of the flats breaks parity with the wad version, however, making it so that the pk3 isn't a drop-in replacement for the wad.  Of course, any levels that are dependent on the naming scheme of the PK3 will depend on the PK3 now :-P

https://www.partition36.com/random-stuff/otex-1.1-fixed-flats.pk3

SHA1: 0a1b9b18d6cbce2fd446f47e0b9fae20113733d0

14 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Paging @ukiro...

i created otex from a wad perspective, never having used pk3’s. In a wad, the engine has no trouble distinguishing a texture from a flat since they are different formats and never interchangeable in vanilla or boom formats. So when there’s a texture I also wanted as a flat, I simply named it the same. This makes editing more comfortable, for me at least. 

but in a pk3 there’s no telling a floor from a wall, and even if they’re in separate folders the engine makes a single index of all assets, which would then have duplicates. The solution was to change the leading O for flats to a zero. 

50 minutes ago, ukiro said:

i created otex from a wad perspective, never having used pk3’s. In a wad, the engine has no trouble distinguishing a texture from a flat since they are different formats and never interchangeable in vanilla or boom formats. So when there’s a texture I also wanted as a flat, I simply named it the same. This makes editing more comfortable, for me at least. 

but in a pk3 there’s no telling a floor from a wall, and even if they’re in separate folders the engine makes a single index of all assets, which would then have duplicates. The solution was to change the leading O for flats to a zero.  

Yeah, I understand the perspective you created it from.  That makes total sense, especially since even lumps can have duplicate names, similar to how two files in separate folders in a PK3 can have the same name.

But the PK3 behavior you mention seems inconsistent.  Technically some engines (but not all) that support PK3s also support mixing of the wad namespaces so that flats can be used on walls and vice versa.  The ZDoom wiki (the closest thing I can think of to a standard for this, at least for ZDoom-style PK3s) specifically lists the flats/ folder for the equivalent to FF_START..FF_END, and textures/ being the equivalent to TX_START..TX_END.  So I'd assume GZDoom looks for a texture name on a floor/ceiling in flats/ first, then fall back to looking in textures/ second.. but I can't tell for sure :-P  My experiment earlier where I renamed the leading zero to an O seemed to work fine for this specific level in GZDoom and K8Vavoom, the two target engines.

Short vs Long texture names in UDMF levels complicate things, too, yes?  A long texture name is definitive.  But how a short texture name is resolved to an absolute file in a PK3 seems to have no documentation and is effectively a crap shoot, and a Hexen format level (like this one) is effectively all short texture names.  In fact I opened a ticket about this with K8Vavoom after chatting with Ketmar about it in a DM while working on my own tools, because I was tired of wracking my brain on the resolution order :-P

Not saying you're wrong, but I do think the issue isn't quite so cut and dry.  I don't think it warrants you fixing anything, though.  I think it's just a quirk of working with Doom.  Doom is the Perl of game engines.

Anyway, that's a bit off topic.  For those wanting to play Freaky Panties 5, just use the WAD version of OTEX 1.1.

1 hour ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

But the PK3 behavior you mention seems inconsistent.  Technically some engines (but not all) that support PK3s also support mixing of the wad namespaces so that flats can be used on walls and vice versa.  The ZDoom wiki (the closest thing I can think of to a standard for this, at least for ZDoom-style PK3s) specifically lists the flats/ folder for the equivalent to FF_START..FF_END, and textures/ being the equivalent to TX_START..TX_END.  So I'd assume GZDoom looks for a texture name on a floor/ceiling in flats/ first, then fall back to looking in textures/ second.. but I can't tell for sure :-P  My experiment earlier where I renamed the leading zero to an O seemed to work fine for this specific level in GZDoom and K8Vavoom, the two target engines.

The issue here is that there are three different texture namespaces.

1. The flat texture namespace is F_START/F_END or /flats/.
  2. The wall texture namespace is TEXTURE1, TEXTURE2, and TEXTURES (when using WallTexture keyword).
  3. The TX_START/TX_END or /textures/ namespace is the override namespace, which has priority on both flats and wall textures.

Basically the system was not designed to have TEXTUREx-defined textures be converted to /textures/ lumps.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

The issue here is that there are three different texture namespaces.

1. The flat texture namespace is F_START/F_END or /flats/.
  2. The wall texture namespace is TEXTURE1, TEXTURE2, and TEXTURES (when using WallTexture keyword).
  3. The TX_START/TX_END or /textures/ namespace is the override namespace, which has priority on both flats and wall textures.

Basically the system was not designed to have TEXTUREx-defined textures be converted to /textures/ lumps.

Oh thank you! That clears up some things.

@Biodegradable recommended this to me and I'm glad he did. I'm so glad he was here to help me because geez I seem to be easily confused these days

This map is the complete package. It has everything. Absolutely stunning and ridiculously well detailed areas. Which also has fantastic combat and great gameplay. And secrets which is my jam. And a wacky surprise at the end. 

So cool! 

1 hour ago, Clippy said:

@Biodegradable recommended this to me and I'm glad he did. I'm so glad he was here to help me because geez I seem to be easily confused these days

This map is the complete package. It has everything. Absolutely stunning and ridiculously well detailed areas. Which also has fantastic combat and great gameplay. And secrets which is my jam. And a wacky surprise at the end. 

So cool!

lol this was incredibly amusing and hilarious.  Bio was on the right train of thought, though: my maps are very much designed to teach you not to rush forward and to instead take your time.  I suppose I make maps very differently than others ^_^  I considered putting more text messages in to help people navigate, but when I've done that before, people have complained that I put too many in.  Maybe I'll put them in only on Easy and Normal equivalents 🤔

I saw a minor texture bug in the video, as well as two problems with the Overlord fight.  A megasphere should spawn in that pillar that lowers, but apparently it's not spawning in GZDoom (only K8).  Something I missed during testing, it seems.  Also yeah, that cheese-like room you got in was unintentional.  I'll get out v1.0.2 soon, which should (I hope) be the final version.  Thank you so much!

4 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

lol this was incredibly amusing and hilarious.  Bio was on the right train of thought, though: my maps are very much designed to teach you not to rush forward and to instead take your time.  I suppose I make maps very differently than others ^_^  I considered putting more text messages in to help people navigate, but when I've done that before, people have complained that I put too many in.  Maybe I'll put them in only on Easy and Normal equivalents 🤔

I saw a minor texture bug in the video, as well as two problems with the Overlord fight.  A megasphere should spawn in that pillar that lowers, but apparently it's not spawning in GZDoom (only K8).  Something I missed during testing, it seems.  Also yeah, that cheese-like room you got in was unintentional.  I'll get out v1.0.2 soon, which should (I hope) be the final version.  Thank you so much!

Yeah feel bad about cheese but that creature was terrifying - but feel less bad knowing I didn't get a megasphere either - seems like the universe balanced itself out for me. Glad to know my vid was fun and helpful - the benefit of playtesting.

Ok, v1.0.2 is out.  This should fix the megasphere not appearing during the final fight on GZDoom, and updates a few small things.  Complete changelog and downloads in the OP.