Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

Known lost WADs of our history?

On 4/20/2022 at 10:29 AM, thestarrover said:

The original first release of Alien Vendetta with the self-extracting installer.

It is mentioned in this 2001 post by @Linguica. Unfortunately that version was almost immediately replaced with the the well known av-extracted.zip release. It seems impossible to find anywhere.

i found this file, hope it's what your looking for

av.zip

The original PWADs of the "new original" maps of Albert Dewey's Heroes and Heroes 2 MegaWADs. These are as follows:

START1.WAD - E2M4 from Heroes

START2.WAD - E3M4 from Heroes

DMATCH1.WAD - E4M6 from Heroes

DMATCH2.WAD - E4M9 from Heroes

EVILDOG2.WAD - MAP01 from Heroes 2

YFILE.WAD - MAP20 from Heroes 2

I could had also put E2M9 from Heroes as well which could be either PRODOOM.WAD or PVBDETH.WAD, but both can technically be found on Wad-Archive so that's not very hard to find.

Also got to mention HUH.WAD which is E1M3 from WADPAK1/WADPAK1A.WAD in which its original standalone release is lost, as a release can't be traced back prior to August 1994.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

@Wadmodder Shalton  I’ve had a look for huh.wad for Doom and Yfile for Doom2, but I can’t find them anywhere. Is Albert Dewey sure it’s Yfile & not Xfile which is by Mike Shinnick ? Are there any other old wad files for Doom you want me to have a look for? @Doomlover77  

Edited by Doomlover77

1 hour ago, Doomlover77 said:

@Wadmodder Shalton  I’ve had a look for huh.wad for Doom and Yfile for Doom2, but I can’t find them anywhere. Is Albert Dewey sure it’s Yfile & not Xfile which is by Mike Shinnick ? Are there any other old wad files for Doom you want me to have a look for? @Doomlover77  

Yeah it's YFILE.WAD according to the Doom Wiki's page on Heroes 2.

Another note regarding the Harris levels:

Spoiler

Speaking of the Harris levels, there's a couple of PWADs that were mentioned his writings, and from what I've read in IDDQD.RU's article that I don't think any of the Doom Community sites mention anywhere. To avoid trouble from moderators, I can't provide links to these writing for obvious reasons.

These PWADs are as follows:

ACHTUNG.WAD
CHAMPY.WAD
DCHRONIX.WAD
DOOM333.WAD
TRUCHAMP.WAD
WHISKY.WAD
GRAVITY.WAD
ORBITY.WAD

The writings also mention Fava Beans, Obituary, HACX and probably The Lost Episodes of Doom commercial addon by Sybex (maybe?) which aren't lost. The writings also shows what appears to be Quake II's main resource directory, which probably meant that Harris probably abandoned a Doom PWAD based on his school and probably moved on to Duke 3d, Quake 1 & 2 and maybe even Unreal modding at one point to make a level of his school, but likely never bothered to start work on it or never completed it, but this is just my theory here.

Doom 4 The Final Chapter (not to be confused with Doom 2016) - a sequel to the infamous Doom 3 Mr Smiley Head Safari partial conversion teased when you beat episode 3, which was abandoned and never finished.

Eternity TC - not to be confused with the 1994 PWAD Eternity, which was to be a total conversation to showcase the Eternity Engine's features that were available at the time. It was planned to have new weapons, a spellcasting system and new enemies. It was abandoned by 2003 as work on the engine continued instead. At least one enemy, the Arachnophyte made its first appearance in the Monsters Resource Wad and later appeared in many ZDoom and GZDoom mods ever since.

The original planned "real" DWANGO9, a planned 9th installment of the DWANGO deathmatch compilation PWAD series for Doom II. As pointed out by @Voyager7 Around mid-1996 both the Dallas and Houston DWANGO servers were working on both DWANGO9 and DWANGO10, though for some reason DWANGO9 was never officially completed even after DWANGO10 was released as there was little point to even release such a compilation PWAD. Instead DWANGO! (that's DWANGO with an exclamation mark) and BLUDBATH were the closest equivalents we got to DWANGO9, and at least the map that was planned to be part of the planned 9th DWANGO PWAD, that being "Beta4ev.wad" was being modified as late as the 2000s, which was to be the first map of the planned installment.

This shouldn't be confused with the fan-made "Faked" DWANGO9 PWAD compiled by ZDaemon player @Da_maniaC back in 2004 which was just nine maps from the previous eight DWANGO compilations with different MIDI music. 

Yonatan Donner maps 17 (Broken World) and 30 (The Holy Goat) off of TNT's "Pursuit" deathmatch megawad were also made into SP maps by the author, according to his old page.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010505212003fw_/http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/4704/doomlevs.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20010404035136fw_/http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/4704/

no idea if he ever released them anywhere.

Edited by OleBumma

Here's a couple of PWADs mentioned on the DoomWiki's page for Christain Hansen from his reviews from his now defunct website that appear to not been archived anywhere.

The following PWADs are as follows:

Doom Arena Demo 1 by Jason Sloan

Metal Gear Solid by Damien Mychajlowskyj - a remake of the first MGS game in the Doom engine with 11 levels

House of the Damned by Chris Laverdure

DoomArenas by Jason Sloan - Not to be confused with the Quake Machinima fan film project called Quake III - Arenas (which also goes by the titles Arenas: The Episodes and Quake: Arenas)

Kill (Official Demo) - by The Kill Team

Ruin DM by Kristian Aro

Death32 by TcT

A#1 by Benjamin Burton

Dead by Benjamin Burton

Battlefield by Mike Wynne

Outpost by RTC_Marine

Doom Special Ed. (Ongar) by Billy Hall

Most of these do have screenshots available from his defunct website so there is visual proof of these WADs once existing.

There's also one PWAD mentioned on the "Great Doom Releases" section from the DoomWiki's page for Christain Hansen that hasn't been archived anywhere, and that PWAD is KSTDM1 by Kurt Kesler.

Just wanted to mention these WADs here if anyone hasn't already.

2 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Here's a couple of PWADs mentioned on the DoomWiki's page for Christain Hansen from his reviews from his now defunct website that appear to not been archived anywhere.

I found most of them.

Metal Gear Solid by Damien Mychajlowskyj

DoomarenA by Jason Sloan (2 versions)

Kill (Official Demo) - by The Kill Team (v2.1)

Ruin DM by Kristian Aro

A#1 by Benjamin Burton

Dead by Benjamin Burton

Outpost by RTC_Marine

Doom Special Ed. (Ongar) by Billy Hall

Crisis by Andrew Loly

5 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

There's also one PWAD mentioned on the "Great Doom Releases" section from the DoomWiki's page for Christian Hansen that hasn't been archived anywhere, and that PWAD is KSTDM1 by Kurt Kesler.

Bunch of Kesler stuff attached, which includes two versions of that.

kkesler.zip

On 6/20/2022 at 5:28 PM, OleBumma said:

Yonatan Donner maps 17 (Broken World) and 30 (The Holy Goat) off of TNT's "Pursuit" deathmatch megawad were also made into SP maps by the author, according to his old page.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010505212003fw_/http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/4704/doomlevs.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20010404035136fw_/http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/4704/

no idea if he ever released them anywhere.

Dead Perfect

A couple of things I noticed while playing Ultimate Simplicity are how the subtitle for map11 says it used to be a Strife map, and there are names and subtitles for maps 21 to 28, despite the default Doom 2 levels still being in those slots. The first four can be found in Some Maps From Some Episode of Some Megawad, but I haven't been able to find the others. usimp_hudMisc.acs also refers to the secret ROTT level as map31 rather than map32, with that one instead being called "Triad Part Deux". So that's six Agent Spork levels unaccounted for, but the only one I can be sure they even started on is the Strife level.

On 6/26/2022 at 3:37 PM, SiFi270 said:

Dead Perfect

A couple of things I noticed while playing Ultimate Simplicity are how the subtitle for map11 says it used to be a Strife map, and there are names and subtitles for maps 21 to 28, despite the default Doom 2 levels still being in those slots. The first four can be found in Some Maps From Some Episode of Some Megawad, but I haven't been able to find the others. usimp_hudMisc.acs also refers to the secret ROTT level as map31 rather than map32, with that one instead being called "Triad Part Deux". So that's six Agent Spork levels unaccounted for, but the only one I can be sure they even started on is the Strife level.

thanks there! no idea how in hell I overlooked that one.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:31 PM, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Also got to mention HUH.WAD which is E1M3 from WADPAK1/WADPAK1A.WAD in which its original standalone release is lost, as a release can't be traced back prior to August 1994.

I was able to find the original and standalone release of HUH.WAD by Rob Hasselbaum (Spectrum).

Map slot E2M1, with the original E2M1 music track.

HUH.WAD 05/02/1994

HUH.TXT  05/01/1994

FILE_ID.DIZ 05/05/1994

CRC-32 : ed905073

MD5: 320ca91c025fa43adecef2298d3a14c9

SHA1: 75b279a6a042e67a9f6eecb19d73785b8a83b3be

If I am not wrong, according to his post, @Never_Againis looking for this wad too.

HUH_E2M1.ZIP

On 7/23/2022 at 11:18 AM, thestarrover said:

I was able to find the original and standalone release of HUH.WAD by Rob Hasselbaum (Spectrum).

Map slot E2M1, with the original E2M1 music track.

HUH.WAD 05/02/1994

HUH.TXT  05/01/1994

FILE_ID.DIZ 05/05/1994

CRC-32 : ed905073

MD5: 320ca91c025fa43adecef2298d3a14c9

SHA1: 75b279a6a042e67a9f6eecb19d73785b8a83b3be

If I am not wrong, according to his post, @Never_Againis looking for this wad too.

HUH_E2M1.ZIP

@thestarrover did you contact the author to find this previously lost standalone release, or did you find it in an unknown shareware CD?

On 6/23/2022 at 7:48 AM, Mad Butcher said:

Thank you for those links! Not too long ago I actually uploaded parts of my old website to my "new" one and I had problems locating some of the old files, so I had a lot of dead links. Looks like you helped me alleviate that problem quite a bit! Thank you and also to @Wadmodder Shalton for the interest.

Another lost WAD that I think we never saw any levels released but does exist: Deimos: Anomaly Unleashed, by @Lutz. I'm not sure but perhaps it was a project from the Chaos Crew. Pictures of it exist, and the last updated was in 2004, with Lutz expressing some concern regarding the slow progression of it. Well, I'd love to see even if it's only the finished levels someday! What happened, Lutz?

Dau4-4.gifDau4-1.gifDau4-2.gif

14 hours ago, Endless said:

Another lost WAD that I think we never saw any levels released but does exist: Deimos: Anomaly Unleashed, by @Lutz. I'm not sure but perhaps it was a project from the Chaos Crew. Pictures of it exist, and the last updated was in 2004, with Lutz expressing some concern regarding the slow progression of it. Well, I'd love to see even if it's only the finished levels someday! What happened, Lutz?

Good question.  Part of the answer is that my vision started to eclipse the technology; in addition, I started a new job (and I think I also just got a little bored...)

On 3/22/2022 at 1:55 AM, SiFi270 said:

As I mentioned in my own thread, I'm hoping to see more levels by the Midway level designers and the combined Master Levels megawad that Tom Mustaine assembled shortly after the original was released.

I've always wondered if anyone would ever get in contact with Christen David Klie (@Mapslinger) for his unreleased Subderma map.

The Garden of Delights redux, CryoZine, 'trode wars, Anarchist's Dream [redux], and Dune City for HacX 2.0. These levels were not present in the latest GitHub build, so they never saw the light of the day.