Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danlex

RainbowRubik.pk3 - A Rubik's cube in GZDoom

Got to play an early version of this, and it works pretty nicely! I do hope in the future that a proper cube gets implemented, as I solve and collect Rubik's cubes as a hobby and can definitely put it through the strainer to see how well it works. Maybe some more advanced concepts and QOL additions if you plan on improving this, as 180 turns are something that just makes it a tad bit nicer to work with when trying to work quickly with solving it.

I remember when I first saw this, mindblowing, it really tests what can be done with doom and it's amazing, great job Danlex! congratulations on the release n.n

I had an idea like this floating in my head recently, I must check this out. Would be fun to see "speedruns" of this.

We got young Dan over here harnessing the power of GZDoom to make fiddling with a Rubik's Cube interesting. Phenomenal work, lad.

I just uploaded a video where I solve all the patterns, if someone wants to check it out

Hello my friend, you accidentally spoiled my surprise for the future, hehe but no problem, I admire your work immensely, I'm not as good as you and design but I managed to work the classic 100% hehe united we are stronger, I downloaded your map , and your method is probably different from mine, mine I gave up in 2019, and only in 2021 when I had an impossible and ingenious idea, and I managed to make it work, it was extraordinary, a guy helped me with this (because I'm not programmer) without him "knowing" that it was for this purpose, hehe, that is, the creation of the cube, but the whole idea and everything I did myself was unbelievable to see it working, I believe you must have felt the same thing having accomplished it such a fun feat... I'll put some videos to show a little of it, but I can't edit much on GZdoom now I'm out of time until the end of the year I'll be able to move... God bless you my friend... the credit goes to Rifleman, he was the great master guru programmer, who helped me:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/124589-how-to-discover-the-new-state-in-a-texture-changed-with-mapspot-udmf/?tab=comments#comment-2387463
Here's the video I posted today to show the cube, it's cool different ideas, mine was more closed, yours outdoors, sensational...

Edited by Knightware Lorewaster

I feel like a great opportunity was missed in not making this a Ribbik's Cube...

How does someone comes up with something like this. I'm speechless how talented individuals come up with amazing feats of creativity by showing what the doom engine is capable of.

@Knightware Lorewaster 

This is amazing! I remember watching a video of your first attempts at making the cube a long time ago, and that video inspired me a lot to make this. I wasn't trying to stole the idea or spoil your surprise tho, the video that I watched was a bit old and I didn't see any updates, so I thought that you stopped working on it and that's why I started this.

I don't know what's the method that you used to make the cube, but if possible, you are free to use the scripts of this map to make the pieces rotate smoothly, instead of them moving instantly.

Big congrats to you and Rifleman for working the classic cube, it's a huge achievement and I hope it gets released to the public as soon as possible.

@Danlex

Thank you my friend you are awesome!!!
It's not your fault, you just played your part and worked hard, your talent is remarkable, you fathered a child a masterpiece of doom, that's wonderful... your method is better, the pieces rotate smoothly is very cool, I still haven't I'm sure if it's possible to implement the scripts you made inside my map maybe it's impossible, due to the fact that I can walk above and below the cube, and yours can't cross it like this, I haven't checked your scripts yet but this difference can be an impossible obstacle, or something simple I don't know, but I hope to make it... when I have some time, my life is very critical at the moment, I'm living on the edge...

I'm going back to doom in November/December, and until then I want to be able to work as quickly as possible to deliver this
 pack, certainly in 2023 I will deliver everything...

if something happens that can prevent me from creating the maps, I'll make them available even without finishing them... for everyone's enjoyment.

Thank you my friend, again God bless you!!!
I need to run!!!

Edited by Knightware Lorewaster