Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

Poorly-Received Movies That Are Actually Good!

Starship troopers is a pretty good one, it's got that 90's space marine killin' aliens vibe... Elysium is good too.

However, I believe a good movie would be 9, that movie is a really cool animated movie and I would recommend it...

EDIT: And let us not forget the first terminator and predator movies...

I just watched another movie from Albert Pyun, Blast (1997):

An okay lower-budget Die Hard clone, although nowhere near as good as Sudden Death, that had the good sense of casting the criminally underappreciated Andrew Divoff as the main antagonist. For some reason, it is advertised as a Rutger Hauer movie, even though he is not the lead (in fact, it looks like they must have had him for a day or so, because he barely has any scenes with the main cast); that role is filled by Linden Ashby (Johnny Cage from the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie), who is doing an alright job playing the typical Die Hard-like protagonist but who confusingly enough looks like he could be related to Andrew Divoff, whose own character has a brother played by an actor who looks nothing like him, amusingly enough. And coincidentally, Vincent Klyn - the villain of Albert Pyun's Cyborg - is cast here as a mook and I guess he must have been using his real voice, because it sounds nowhere near as deep as it was in Cyborg.

For those who are not familiar with Andrew Divoff, I shall let Mildred (formely Matt) of the Scaredy Cats channel talk about Wishmaster, another actually good (in this case, horror) movie that he starred in the same year:

I guess Igor from (2008) man it was a decent funny animated Frankenstein film,

My fav moment is Igor chasing brain with an axe, "YOU MADE MY MONSTER? AN ACTRESS!

this was one of my childhood movies.

Not movie, anime. But actually good.

Spy X Family. Anime about relationship between spy and killer. Both don't known about their job. But only their child. That also can read a thoughts.

Despite its name, PREY has nothing to do with the video games of the same name and is rather a Predator prequel!

The plot itself is essentially yet another remake of the original movie (not really a spoiler, since the promotional material makes it very obvious), but it comes with the twist of taking place in the 18th century and centering around an ambitious Comanche healer who in her quest to become a warrior finds herself crossing paths with a Predator! For better or worse, the movie lacks the cheesy fun (and the Alan Silvestri theme) of the original Predator movie, but is still a really solid action thriller with a memorable protagonist (and her pet dog!) and probably the best thing to come out of the Predator franchise in a while - or ever.

The movie just came out, but since it is already facing the inevitable backlash from assholes, I feel like it belongs on this thread. 

Check it out if you can!

Edited by Rudolph

So in the wake of Albert Puyn's death, I watched his 1992 movie Nemesis:

Basically what Blade Runner would have turned out had it been directed by John Woo.

But man, Oliver Gruner just cannot act. I mean, he looks fine when it comes to shooting and fighting and screaming (he is reportedly a former Green Beret as well as a professional kickboxer), but when it comes to delivering lines, he makes Jean-Claude Van Damme look like Daniel Day-Lewis. XD

However, if you can overlook the weak acting and confusing script, it is a cool action flick with nice special effects and some impressive set pieces. I mean, if the following clip cannot convince you to check it out, then I do not know what can:

Edited by Rudolph

Freejack (1992), starring Emilio Estevez, Rene Russo, Jonathan Banks, Anthony Hopkins... and Mick Jagger!

Pretty much stumbled upon this one by accident. The presence of Mick Jagger intrigued me enough to check the trailer, which convinced me to give it a watch. The movie was reportedly poorly received back then and even Anthony Hopkins thinks it is terrible. While it is not really a classic, it is a fun Total Recall clone with some surprisingly clever twists, decent action scenes and Mick Jagger as a ruthless bounty hunter.

Sure, the movie does not do much with its outlandish premise past its early scenes, which is ultimately just an excuse for the protagonist to find himself thrown into the then-near future of 2009, but overall, there is nothing really wrong with it.

@Master O Heard about this one. I did not know it had a bad reputation, though.

I do see it stars Emilio Estevez too, which is a funny coincidence! :P

list of movies that are poorly received but imo actually good:

star wars: the rise of skywalker - I feel completely alone in this one. I've literally never met a single person who likes this film. The thing is...this is like, my favorite star wars movie mostly for kind of arbitrary reasons (like its treatment of c3po as an actual character with a perspective, instead of a comic relief character in an already funny cast who doesnt need one). I have plenty of issues with it, but the way it wraps up the sequel trilogies themes of found family vs biological family is very adept imo, and the action scenes are some of the most inventive and thrilling in the entire series.

doom: annihilation - you people are mean this movie kicks ass. I genuinely cannot conceptualize what people wanted from a doom movie that they didn't get from this. The storyline is peak doom and theres some inventive action, too. This is practically speaking a fan film and for what that means, its good cheesy fun with charming sets and costumes and an obvious passion for the source material. Plus the ending sequence in Hell is legitimately really intriguing imo. There's a kind of revisionist tendency to pretend most of the backlash didnt come from them making the protagonist a girl, too, when if you were there at ground zero that was taking up all of the discourse lol.

the maze runner trilogy - These movies are basically regarded accurately for what they are, middle of the road teen dystopia movies based on middle of the road teen dystopia books. But they were also the directorial debut of Wes Ball and his passion for directing is constantly on display with interesting choices, strong use of their sets and natural lights, and strong performances. I just enjoy seeing other people be creative and Wes is clearly having a Ball.

blair witch (2016) - This is genuinely one of my favorite horror films of all time up there with the original Blair Witch Project. It seems most fans of the original think this movie is a generic exercise in nostalgia pandering that reveals too much of the mystery. But imo its a much eerier, more mysterious puzzle when you start to pick it apart, and the way it films the woods at night are genuinely captivating.

Just now, Rudolph said:

There were actually three movies? I have only vaguely heard of the first one and mostly due to HISHE making a video about it.

indeed there are three. And thankfully its just three, they didnt like, make the finale a two parter like everyone else was doing

Hm, I'm not sure if it would be regarded as a poorly recieved movie as such, but in terms of just, being literally one of the most entertaining things I have or will ever see, and also just being the most Doom movie to be made before Doom (about a year before), Split Second. 

The above is... seminal. Cinema at it's peak. I will not be told otherwise. 

The Thing was originally released and was universally hated - it almost ruined John Carpenter's career. Now it's an absolute titan in horror cinema. 

It's alleged that Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me was hated at Cannes and was booed upon, and initially had a poor reception elsewhere. Since then it's lauded as one of David Lynch's best works. 

I absolutely maintain that Freddy Got Fingered is an absolute work of art and that it has preceded the absurd humor that people enjoy in Adult Swim style productions

Wet Hot American Summer

There's just no way you could get this cast together again for now with such a low budget.

I happen to like Batman Forever and Batman & Robin more than the general public. I occasionally tune songs from the soundtracks of both movies and some scenes that make me laugh, of which I'm going to share an example of each:

Sue me.

On 8/2/2022 at 5:03 PM, BrutalDoomisAwesome said:

A really good movie from the 1980's

Blues Brothers was not poorly received at all.  It's regarded as one of the classics of the 1980s.

On 9/7/2023 at 4:32 AM, Master O said:

Blues Brothers was not poorly received at all.  It's regarded as one of the classics of the 1980s

Yeah i don't know where they got that idea. Not many liked the sequel but the first is definitely a beloved classic. Never heard a bad word against it.

For all of its many faults, Amazing Spider-Man 2 remains the best visual adaptation of the comics into a live action. The action and general imagery, the way he moves, the characterization, etc. It's the most expensive one they made and it shows. The later MCU ones are clearly cheaping out as much as they can in comparison, but worst of all they have such milquetoast direction and seem more concerned with trying to be as inoffensive as possible. I'd rather rewatch ASM2 again than any of the Jon Watts directed ones, even if it's very easy to poke holes at.

On 4/24/2022 at 8:10 AM, Rudolph said:

Wait, people actually disliked this movie? I was under the impression that it was one of Quentin Tarantino's most successful films.

I actually hated it with a purple passion!

On 8/31/2023 at 11:28 PM, OliveTree said:

doom: annihilation -

I agree, it is a shame that they had not more Money for that Movie, as it really seems they had a good Feeling about how to adopt the Stuff from the Games (like the Map).

You can really see how they wanted to have the Barons in the End and i am sure that their CGI Guy was like:" Best i can do for that Money is this.".

A few Pinkies, more Imps, the Barons as Bosses, that would be enough to lift it up.

Can't go with your Opinion of Star Wars, the new Movies feel as they were made in the Sake of making them.

For me the Jedi Knight Series is a better Sequel.

4 hours ago, Azuris said:

A few Pinkies, more Imps, the Barons as Bosses, that would be enough to lift it up.

Thats why I really hope the sequel the director teased is actually in the process of being made. A bigger budget with the same creative team I think could legitimately deliver what people want most from a classic Doom movie. But a lot of people dont precisely want a classic doom movie so much as a Hugo Martin Doom movie... Which, I think would have to be a completely different kind of production, to be honest.

4 hours ago, Azuris said:

Can't go with your Opinion of Star Wars, the new Movies feel as they were made in the Sake of making them. 

I dont hold a ton of reverence for the older Star Wars movies, but I can see why the sequels are sort of superfluous or even cynical feeling to a lot of people, as sequels. I didnt exactly say that the sequels overall are my picks though, just specifically Episode 9

Waterworld

Kevin Costner was due a backlash, the hubris was certainly there, and the critics took immense pleasure in watching the disastrous production unfold. 

Meanwhile, despite a plot that's a little hokey and derivative, the movie itself is not too bad at all.