Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoC0ncentrate51

URBAN SIDE [ NOW ON IDGAMES ]

This is great stuff! Played through the first three maps so far using Woof. I love all the little touches like changing the channel on the TV and the light switches. I was actually able to find the secrets because they make sense for the environment lol. Music choices are great. Map names aren't showing but that's no detriment to the gameplay because what I have played kicks ass.

Edit: I haven't seen any visual bugs so far but I will play through this one again later and check more closely!

Nicely done indeed, but posting it to /idgames was a bit premature, becuse I encountered 2 game-breaking bugs:

MAP03: I could climb and walk behind the green crate with RL and became stuck.

MAP05: You can trigger the zombieman/caco trap repeatedly and became stuck. You should rework it to one long trigger linedef across the entire hallway. Also, red door nearby is wrongly marked with blue stripes.

and...this doesn't run in DSDA. lovely....

Edit. Ooops, it was the wrong map

Demo of the first map. Wow, is this a Hell Cartel 2 outtake? Because Doomcute urban maps are sure rare

lmd_urban_01.zip

Edited by LadyMistDragon

This was really action-charged experience (especially on the latest maps).

I am huge fan of city-themed maps and your work caught my attention.

For this playthrough I've made a mishmash with custom enemies & weapons, so I hope that you not gonna be offended by that.

MAP01: "Home Sweet Home"

Spoiler

This is good episode opener with biggest count of various "DoomCuties" all over the place.

I am really like the protagonist's apartment where was few interactive objects.

Some textures are utilized well and overall proportions is good enough.

Cleaning up apartments building from the force of Evil was fun.

Also, I think that I broke up final battle via using silenced MP5... Sorry!

MAP02: "Massacre Street"

Spoiler

Short, but good action-paced map. Maybe place is a little bit overflowed with enemies, but they are not high tier ones, so it is OK.

I like continuation from previous map. It reminded me of "Duke Nukem 3D" and its level's transitions (where one map is transitioning on another).

Cars is funny, but good lookin' at the same time.

Sad that store was very small, but there was some "DoomCuties" as well.

Also I like that though enemy at the end.

MAP03: "Down The RiverWaste"

Spoiler

I like the idea of big drain that reminded me of Lost Santos from "GTA: San Andreas".

And I knew it that there is gonna be a bundle of enemy reinforcement just on the other side!

Good flow that after few minutes in player gonna walk on the drain itself in the waste.

Also I was expecting that you gonna make sewer level, but this is OK that there is none.

Buildings have reasonable amount of details and there was various cute decorations.

MAP04: "RoofTops Of Diluvio"

Spoiler

As for me, it was the most hardest map in this WAD. Main reason - a huge amount of rain decorations.

I mean, yeah, this is hard rain, but sometimes it was really hard to see anyone in the far distance.

Also, encounters on this map was most evil & mean (that small rooftop with bunch of bandits just got me few times).

But overall idea is good and reminded me a "ProDoomer", old RPG TC, where was one map with night and rooftops.

Beside cruel traps, map was also the most atmospheric.

MAP05: "UAC HeadQuarters"

Spoiler

Idea of this map reminded me something from one of the "HellFire" WADs. An assault to the big corporation HQ.

I like how you made transition to the other levels of this building via duplicating outside area. This is nice touch.

Office are and living quarters was well detailed and provided enough enemy force to pin down (especially the bar).

Last area really scared me off, 'cause amount of upcoming enemies was really big, not to mention boss in the center.

As you can see, I was in such panic that I've opened last room with control room of nuclear reactor (while boss had some fun with goons).

MAP06: "The End"

Spoiler

That was just nice credits map with interesting setup of post-apocalyptic decorations.

I guess that this was really a nuclear reactor that I've overloaded in the previous map.

Sad that I accidently end this map before seeing last writing...

That was not bad at all.

Sure, there was some strange moments (like lack of door tracks or very rare missing textures), but overall experience was good.

I am hoping to see more urban-themed maps from you, my Doomer mate!

P.S.: "DukeTex.wad" does not contains any ANIMDEFS/ANIMATED lump. I might create one and them upload it somewhere (if it is gonna be okay).

Is it expected that you can fall of the roof at the archville fight on map 4?

I fell twice and could not find a way to come back after it.

Looks cool, I'm a sucker for doomcute and shortish episodes (not got time for megawads, baby related), give it blast tonight.

Finished this one up. I did have to rewind in Map 03 and also Map 05. It was really quite interesting how you anticipated players picking multiple directions in Map 05 and still encountering obnoxiousness regardless because you only get one weapon when you pick the first direction, although there might be an ideal one. And that ending basically came out of nowhere. Certainly makes sense though. Only part I didn't like was Map 02 packed in monsters without making things intesting. Otherwise, good.

lmd_urban_02.zip

Finished this one up a moment ago. I played it on UV continuous using Woof on Complevel 9. Nice Doom Cute levels, difficulty wise it is not that bad until the last 2 levels.

Got killed a couple of times on the Archville fight at the end of level 4 until i found the trick to it. Last level was my favorite one, felt really epic to clear up the entire building and nuke it up. 

If there is something i could add to it, is that some extra exploration would be good. Level 2 and 3 suffer from being too linear, and I was unsure to finish it up because of it. Really liked how each level would flow into the next one, which is not something very common on Doom wads

Nice wad overall. Would love to play a sequel or some extra maps.

Yeah, pretty good overall. Very nice details, the levels seem quite like real places but I think at the expense of fun layouts, although that improved in the last few maps. The early ones were very linear and lacking in height variation, looked like Duke played like Wolf, some stairs and enemies at different heights would of made a difference.

One thing I did notice was even accounting for weapon sway the revolver (pistol) seems slighty off center, I enabled cross-hair and used that to aim.

Other than that a nice city mapset, I'll keep an eye out for your future works, I could see your mapping improve each map and your use of doomcute was excellent.

The weapons that were re-skinned is the pistol, standard sg, and chain gun which is perfect and the rest of the arsenal was left alone, combat kicks butt, nice wad no doubt and cg is belt fed beautiful!

Really cool maps but found Map03 to be a little janky after getting the blue key. Couldnt find the path and the blue spike didnt want to open So I jumped over the side of the bridge. Might just have been a GZD (4.9a in this case) thing but usually Boom maps dont misbehave often. Could easily just be Im blind too. 

This is a mixed bag of a mapset in that its so cool and so realistic, in the realism it also brings with it pretty boring combat.

Grade:

environment= A. Couldnt ask for better attention to detail for the minor sight seeing. Very Ashes and Duke influenced.

Combat= D but that was purely unavoidable with the setting that with you went with. Kudos points bump to a C-.

Weapons= A. Loved the gun art you chose. 

Edited by kalensar

Hey NoC0ncentrate51,

This is an awesome game you have made..

I can't wait to give it a try.

thankyou!!!!

2 hours ago, kalensar said:

Really cool maps but found Map03 to be a little janky after getting the blue key. Couldnt find the path and the blue spike didnt want to open So I jumped over the side of the bridge. Might just have been a GZD (4.9a in this case) thing but usually Boom maps dont misbehave often. Could easily just be Im blind too. 

This is a mixed bag of a mapset in that its so cool and so realistic, in the realism it also brings with it pretty boring combat.

Grade:

environment= A. Couldnt ask for better attention to detail for the minor sight seeing. Very Ashes and Duke influenced.

Combat= D but that was purely unavoidable with the setting that with you went with. Kudos points bump to a C-.

Weapons= A. Loved the gun art you chose. 

I had trouble with this too! Did you see the small blue key panel to the right of the spike? Open that and shoot the switch and it should open. If boom is working that is lol

I had a blast plowing through this! Definitely going in my recommendations.

Here's my notes I took while playing and after skimming the thread:

Spoiler

MAP02:
- It might help to add blue key indicator poles outside the entrance to the alley. I didn't have a problem because I immediately panned around the automap after grabbing the blue key, but I completely understand why others -- who haven't become a little too dependent on the automap -- felt directionless.

MAP04:
- Softlock: In the north west corner of the SSG room, there's an armor bonus [Thing #456] in a corner behind a chair and a desk. You can't climb over the chair or desk to get it, however you can walk up the adjacent chair and desk then strafe run over to the relevant desk, fall down to collect the armor bonus, rendering you stuck. I wouldn't have found this if that armor bonus hadn't baited me, haha. This also makes finishing the level with 100% items impossible. You could just put it on the chair like the bonuses in the south of the room, but then it's still a softlock, just not a softlock with a counted item in it. I'd scoot the chair back a little more so you can walk over it.

MAP05:
- Softlock: The rocket launcher trap barricade [Sector #866] can be re-raised.
      Good fix: Make the trigger one line just before the pedestal instead of the nine lines that make up the perimeter of the pedestal.
      Lazy fix: Make line #3717 WR instead of W1.
- The red door's trim indicators are for the blue key. [Lines #3767, #3769]

- You can skip the last fight by simply not shooting after teleporting in. The only solution I can come up with off the top of my head is teleporting into a typical shoot switch cage, but I know very few common mapping tricks.

It's also worth noting I downloaded this on November 22nd, dunno when the bug fix was approved on /idgames.

Please can I ask if this ever been tested in GZDoom? Map 4 doesn't work in GZDoom because the rain objects are impassable and GZDoom complains about "Bits = 0" being an invalid numeric constant in DeHackEd. :(

49 minutes ago, Martin Howe said:

Please can I ask if this ever been tested in GZDoom? Map 4 doesn't work in GZDoom because the rain objects are impassable and GZDoom complains about "Bits = 0" being an invalid numeric constant in DeHackEd. :(

Works for me on GZDoom 4.9.0. Can I ask what version of GZDoom you are using?

Was using 4.9.0 and changed to 4.10.0; same problem. I'll have to investigate at my end. These are all clean builds from source on Linux, so I can't see how there'd be an issue :(

3 hours ago, Martin Howe said:

Was using 4.9.0 and changed to 4.10.0; same problem. I'll have to investigate at my end. These are all clean builds from source on Linux, so I can't see how there'd be an issue :(

Strange, although I AM on Windows... maybe that's the difference? My Steamdeck is getting RMA'd right now so i can't check Linux on my side currently sorry :(

Thanks @nickxcom; eliminated urbanside as the problem; there are two empty DEHACKED lumps in it, BTW, but they're not the problem. It seems to be an issue of the patch being loaded after a big ZScript mod that I normally have loaded by default, so the issue is in the mod. Oh well, now I have to find out what freakery the mod is doing that breaks DEHACKED :(

I love detailed urban levels like these and you delivered well!  Some fun cramped urban warfare with a few tough challenges here and there.  Really like the weapon skins and sounds too.  Fighting across rooftops during a heavy downpour might be one of my favourite parts.  The only major issue I encountered was the final fight - it appeared to be easy to cheese, and also randomly ended at one point for reasons I couldn't understand.  If done as it was probably intended, it was a good, tough final battle though.  Great work!

Just gave this a quick playthrough, using DSDA Doom, playing UV from pistol start.  Nice work!  I love the detail in the city, with lots of nice flourishes of Doomcute throughout.  The aesthetic and gameplay highpoint for me was Map 04, the rooftop rain map.  I wish the encounters had a bit more teeth, as I found it pretty easy overall, but this was a nice playthrough.  

Had the same problem as Martin Howe, but in a different source port (EDGE-Classic): Map 4 doesn't work because the rain objects are impassable.

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Had the same problem as Martin Howe, but in a different source port (EDGE-Classic): Map 4 doesn't work because the rain objects are impassable.

Confirmed this same issue. Lobo was it you or @dasho that told me Edge Classic handles Boom stuff differently? I remember running into a Boom-related oddity a couple months back and this jogged my memory. Assuming that the rain is boom-related that is, I'm not knowledgeable enough to confirm lol

Problem tracked down by the GZDoom devs; works in Windows but not on Linux because of the way ERRNO is used; it seems Windows CRT handles ERRNO differently than the original (UNIX/LINUX) does.  I wasn't aware that other ports had the issue though. Because the statement can't be parsed, the SOLID bit in the thing flags isn't cleared.

Edited by Martin Howe : Fixed typo