Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Cacowards 2023 Mentionation Thread: You Don't Need To Post Myhouse Again

Ultimate Doom In Name Only just got an official "final" release. This is hands down the best set of UD maps I've ever played.

I think it deserves both a normal award, as well as a Mordeth award as it was started 8 or 9 years ago!

Disclosure: I playtested this at various points in development, and edited about 6 linedefs for bugfixes.

Edited by plums

6 minutes ago, plums said:

Ultimate Doom In Name Only just got an official "final" release. This is hands down the best set of UD maps I've ever played.

I think it deserves both a normal award, as well as a Mordeth award as it was started 8 or 9 years ago!

Showed up just in time to second Plums' mentionation: for me, UDINO might not be the 'best' set of UD maps I've played (very hard to define 'best'), but playing through RC1 was one of the rawest, most gripping Doom experiences I've had in a long time and I can't wait to play it again. It'll fool you into thinking it's not crazy for about an episode and a half (actually E1M7 kind of gives it away), but by the time you reach Inferno, it doesn't even bother pretending anymore. An updated list of Doomworld's Most Memorable Maps could easily take five from this set, no exaggeration. If Doom has recently been losing its luster for you, play this. You won't even know what hit you.

26 minutes ago, plums said:

Ultimate Doom In Name Only just got an official "final" release. wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

For context, RCs or similar levels of finality have always been considered final enough, so there's no need to wait for official final releases, which sometimes happen years after the project is understood to be out (BTSX e1 2017 Cacoward when). 

Seems like this one hasn't been mentionated so maybe people thought they had to wait for final-Final versions? But in any case this wad, like 90% of the other wads on the tracker, was played by people before there was a single mentionation in this thread. :P

Infernal Gladiator actually looks pretty promising! I got to play the first few maps, and they are beyond brutal, but tons of fun!

+1 For City of The Damned Apocalypse 2 aka COTD remake. It is impressive technical piece of work, better and bigger version of original wad, great use of light, particle effects, paralax occlusion shaders, voxels, sounds. All of it ties the metaphorical room together like a rug. Can't recommend it enough.

Some more mods. Wanted to go more in-depth but haven't had the time.

GZchaos by KevenSevens

Sort of a combination between corruption cards and gun bonzai comes the craziest mod of 2023, GZchaos by Kevensevans (Creator of Gardovier has a gun). It follows 2022's trend of addon mods and will take your gameplay to the strangest depths. I won't lie, this is a mod you will either love or hate. Personally, I'm not a big fan of this one, but it is very impressive on a technical level and there is a group of people who will really dig the craziness. Give it a shot.

Doom Infinite by DifficultOldStuff

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-infinite

I'm blown away that no one has mention doom infinite. This thing is easily one of the most impressive works to come out of the Doom community in 2023

While there has been mods such as DRLA and DRPG that emulate roguelike, Doom infinite is the real deal. This is 1st true doom roguelike. It came out of nowhere from an unknown modder and is absolutely incredible. I can't do it justice, check out the video and you WILL want to play it. It's still being worked on and hopefully, it will get Doom 2 levels in the future.

Naku-Naru 2 by Joblez

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=78229

Sequel to Naku-Naru. A great weapon set with new art, weapons and more balanced melee. Solid weapon pack.

Voxel Doom 2 by Chello

https://www.moddb.com/mods/voxel-doom-ii

Chello finished what he started in 2022 and turned all the monster in Doom 2 into voxels. While this won the caco last year, I think it's worth mentioning that it's complete.

Overall, great year for mods.

+1 for Hell Revealations, a spiritual successor to the Hell Revealed series. Levels are - as expected - balls to the walls difficult and require a lot of planning. Excellent choice for the difficulty junkies out there!

Just like @Hajo_official , I'll give +1 to "Hell Revelations". I had a lot of fun in this wad even if the difficulty was a bit high for me. But it was the coolest wad of the year in my opinion btw. ;)

+1 for The Thing You Can't Defeat

I think everyone needs to play this at least once. It's cursed in just the right way, and it makes you think about what it would be like if you actually couldn't think at all.

+1 for Abscission

Fantastic Doom2 re-imagining, much harder than the source material but still so fun, and a soundtrack that'll keep you up at night.

+1 for RAMP 2023

Something for everyone here, and a nice overarching metagame that tells you a bit of the project lead's origin story.

And if it counts, a massive +1 for Temporal Tantrum

Not sure if this one is permitted as there was an original RC a couple of years back, but it's here now and it's bloody brilliant. Definitely a Mordeth candidate if not a mainline winner. Also I just wanted an excuse to say "Washing Machine Enthusiasts"!

On 12/1/2023 at 2:45 PM, baja blast rd. said:

Just a note that the cycle has ended ~Nov 15 as usual (and most decisions about the soon-coming feature are made already), but this thread is still free to use until the next one starts. 

ah shit am i too late to recommend myhouse