Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alaux

Smooth Doom on MBF21 + DSDHacked (Standard Edition V5 and Classic Edition V3 Released)

I already like Smooth Doom and it's related mods, but I'm using this as much as I can from now on. I do think I found something odd, though, sometimes there'll be random flashes on or around enemies. I'm not sure if it's specifically related to the mod, since I have dynamic lighting on and I'm using the hardware renderer with GZDoom. That spot near the exit door on Evilution's first map is where I noticed it. 

13 minutes ago, Dweller said:

I do think I found something odd, though, sometimes there'll be random flashes on or around enemies. I'm not sure if it's specifically related to the mod, since I have dynamic lighting on and I'm using the hardware renderer with GZDoom. That spot near the exit door on Evilution's first map is where I noticed it. 

Not entirely sure of what might be happening there. That said, I really suggest you use the original Smooth Doom if you're on GZDoom, it's still superior in some ways if you ask me, not to say actually designed with that port in mind.

Back when I used to use Gzdoom mainly, I used Smooth Doom for most of my Vanilla playthroughs, so to see this is very cool. Will absolutely download!

Version 2 of SD21 has been released.

Just a few minor changes, really. Nothing to point out, so have the full changelog:

Spoiler

- Gave DROPOFF and TELEPORT flags to multiple things
  - Added COMPLVL lump
  - Added missing names to some DeHackEd things
  - Updated [text file] to mention more known bugs

Download link in the OP.

Very very cool mod! I've tried this with Woof, Nugget Doom, and Doom Retro and it works like a charm. I do have a very specific bug to report though.

Having the vertical recoil feature enabled on all three ports works mostly fine, but for both the shotgun and SSG, the recoil effect seems to trigger twice within half a second of each other. It seems to only do it on the initial reload animation for both guns.

2 minutes ago, Sparktimus said:

Having the vertical recoil feature enabled on all three ports works mostly fine, but for both the shotgun and SSG, the recoil effect seems to trigger twice within half a second of each other. It seems to only do it on the initial reload animation for both guns.

You're right. I just tested it on Nugget Doom and I think I know why it happens:

You may notice that the recoil happens when the shell casings are ejected. Said casings are spawned by dummy projectiles which then spawn the casings themselves. The dummy projectiles are spawned by means of MBF21's A_WeaponProjectile() action, which triggers recoil. It's not noticeable with the Pistol and Chaingun because the casings are spawned roughly in sync with the actual firing.

I can't think of a way to prevent this for now, I hope it doesn't get very annoying.

15 minutes ago, Alaux said:

You're right. I just tested it on Nugget Doom and I think I know why it happens:

You may notice that the recoil happens when the shell casings are ejected. Said casings are spawned by dummy projectiles which then spawn the casings themselves. The dummy projectiles are spawned by means of MBF21's A_WeaponProjectile() action, which triggers recoil. It's not noticeable with the Pistol and Chaingun because the casings are spawned roughly in sync with the actual firing.

I can't think of a way to prevent this for now, I hope it doesn't get very annoying.

Oh it's no biggie! I only switch the recoil effect on sometimes so it's nothing really all that pressing at all, just thought I'd pass it along c:

Only thing I'd know to suggest is maybe have a separate version that doesn't include the shell casings, but this is probably an issue that I wouldn't be surprised if literally only me would notice or care about :V

1 minute ago, Sparktimus said:

Only thing I'd know to suggest is maybe have a separate version that doesn't include the shell casings, but this is probably an issue that I wouldn't be surprised if literally only me would notice or care about :V

I thought about it for a bit. As mentioned in the OP, most of the fancy effects in SD21 are optional in Smooth Doom, so I might make a watered-down version without (some of) them if more people want it.

7 minutes ago, Alaux said:

I thought about it for a bit. As mentioned in the OP, most of the fancy effects in SD21 are optional in Smooth Doom, so I might make a watered-down version without (some of) them if more people want it.

In the same vain as Smooth Doom itself, you could also have versions dedicated to just weapons or monsters only.

6 minutes ago, Sparktimus said:

In the same vain as Smooth Doom itself, you could also have versions dedicated to just weapons or monsters only.

There are other mods that manage to do that with older standards (see Vanilla Doom smooth weapons and SMOOTHED), I don't think we need more of the same. Then again, I might make changes to weapon and monster animations that could warrant my own versions of those mods on the same standards. As said earlier, we'll have to see what the community wants.

4 minutes ago, Alaux said:

There are other mods that manage to do that with older standards (see Vanilla Doom smooth weapons and SMOOTHED), I don't think we need more of the same.

But SD21 is more compatible with light DEHACKED mods, for example I tested it successfully with Scythe 2 and Sunder (Sunder crash with "Vanilla Doom smooth weapons").

Well as I've said, this bug is a very specific and minor bug that honestly doesn't do that much to bother me and only applies to one niche feature of those ports. I'd hazard a guess and say most people don't really play with recoil on in those ports so this is a very small nitpick on its own. Everything else has worked perfectly so far, though!

1 minute ago, rfomin said:

But SD21 is more compatible with light DEHACKED mods, for example I tested it successfully with Scythe 2 and Sunder (Sunder crash with "Vanilla Doom smooth weapons").

Well, not all states are modified and used for SD21's content (for example, the SS and Keen remain unchanged), so some things might just happen to work. It really depends on how each patch is built, so I personally wouldn't go around saying that it is, generally speaking, more compatible with other mods, and trying to make partial versions of SD21 with compatibility in mind would probably be hit-and-miss.

hey! this is sweet AND neat!

question: seeing as this requires complevel21, what if I use it to play a mapset designed for complevel9?

would playing under CL21 prevent any CL9 quirks the maps are relying on from happening?

sorry for the dumb question but complevels theory tends to fly well over my head... 

PS: if you are open to suggestions for this, I think that the blood effects happening when a monster gets hit could be nerfed a bit.. 

2 minutes ago, Delfino Furioso said:

would playing under CL21 prevent any CL9 quirks the maps are relying on from happening?

I'm not entirely sure, honestly, but I believe it is a possibility. Then again, I've been using complevel 21 as my default ever since I started using Woof (i.e. before I forked it and made Nugget Doom) and never noticed any issues, so you might just be fine.

6 minutes ago, Delfino Furioso said:

PS: if you are open to suggestions for this, I think that the blood effects happening when a monster gets hit could be nerfed a bit.. 

I'll consider it. Are you asking due to performance or just personal taste?

This does not provide compatibility with colored blood, right?

When I shoot the cacos/baron/HK, a small amount of colored blood comes out and the rest in red.

10 minutes ago, Alaux said:

I'll consider it. Are you asking due to performance or just personal taste?

just personal taste..

that was one of the things I removed when I made my personal edit of Gifty's work 

On 1/8/2023 at 5:53 PM, Floowand said:

This does not provide compatibility with colored blood, right?

When I shoot the cacos/baron/HK, a small amount of colored blood comes out and the rest in red.

Due to how blood works in SD21, not all of it is colored appropriately. As far as I'm concerned, proper "compatibility" requires modification of the source ports themselves. Not a hard thing to implement if you ask me, but I don't think I can get all source port devs to do it without first discussing it and probably making a spec.

Maybe if I think hard enough I can figure out a way to make it work, we'll have to see.

Edited by Alaux

Very awesome stuff. Glad you included the decohack source as well. Not sure if it was intentional, but gibs have +NOBLOCKMAP and this means gibs will not move with a moving floor.

11 minutes ago, hobomaster22 said:

Not sure if it was intentional, but gibs have +NOBLOCKMAP and this means gibs will not move with a moving floor.

As mentioned in the text file, this is intentional. Judging by my own testing, including the gibs in the BLOCKMAP (that is, not giving them the NOBLOCKMAP flag) might have a noticeable impact on performance, at least for as long as they're in mid-air.

3 minutes ago, Alaux said:

As mentioned in the text file, this is intentional. Judging by my own testing, including the gibs in the BLOCKMAP (that is, not giving them the NOBLOCKMAP flag) might have a noticeable impact on performance, at least for as long as they're in mid-air. 

That makes sense. I am commenting on the gibs that stay forever. I noticed this on Doom 2 MAP01 where I gibbed the trooper on the lift. Lowering the lift leaves the skull and pools of blood float when lowering the lift. I guess this is why ZDoom added MoveWithSector.

9 minutes ago, hobomaster22 said:

That makes sense. I am commenting on the gibs that stay forever. I noticed this on Doom 2 MAP01 where I gibbed the trooper on the lift. Lowering the lift leaves the skull and pools of blood float when lowering the lift. I guess this is why ZDoom added MoveWithSector.

I should point out that when I tried giving them that flag, I also gave it to the blood effects that are spawned together with the gibs. Said blood effects disappear after a rather short while, so I should try giving the flag to just the gibs and see if the frame drops are mitigated.