Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Geqoph

Doom in other game genres

10 hours ago, Reigada said:

perhaps a side scroller? it could work 

There is already Doom 2D:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_2D

I remember trying it ages ago, but there was a bug that'd instakill me after like 5 minutes of play and never tried again...

Seems like it's playable in a browser, just google Doom 2D.

I will continue saying this.

Doom Wars Enemy Territory focusing on ARC vs UAC Cultists before the Hell Invasion of Earth.

We need to finish the trilogy.

5 minutes ago, idbeholdME said:

I remember trying it ages ago, but there was a bug that'd instakill me after like 5 minutes of play and never tried again...

omg, I remember playing it once in like 2014, I completely forgot about it's existence. I'll have to try it again

I could imagine DooM as a tycoon game. You could probably be like a manager at UAC and manage the teleportation shenanigans. You could also have to deal with costs, buying equipment and maybe stopping demonic invasions by closing the portals or by fighting, tower-defense style. Your objective could be to get to a certain date without collapsing, getting the technology up and running for governments, discovering other groundbreaking discoveries etc. Or there could be multiple endings which can either be bad (you fail to contain the demons and they invade earth), good (you manage to keep earth safe), or lore-based endings which act as precursors to the events of the original DooM.

38 minutes ago, IHave10Shells said:

I could imagine DooM as a tycoon game. You could probably be like a manager at UAC and manage the teleportation shenanigans. You could also have to deal with costs, buying equipment and maybe stopping demonic invasions by closing the portals or by fighting, tower-defense style. Your objective could be to get to a certain date without collapsing, getting the technology up and running for governments, discovering other groundbreaking discoveries etc. Or there could be multiple endings which can either be bad (you fail to contain the demons and they invade earth), good (you manage to keep earth safe), or lore-based endings which act as precursors to the events of the original DooM.

An X-COM clone like this would be awesome.

6 hours ago, yakfak said:

cursed to be able to design Doom TCG in my head in a minute flat, but never be able to make it lol

I've been making a TCG as it happens, albeit not Doom themed - I don't think there's enough assets in Doom to make a fully fledged TCG out of it 😅

1 hour ago, idbeholdME said:

The best way to play it is to download Doom 2D Forever, which is a more modern remake of the game. With that said, it's still a bit rough around the edges and is verily ridiculous with off screen enemy sniping. With that said, extra resolution options go a long way to help making this more playable.

Also as a joke, they obviously need to make a Doom game that follows this ridiculous trend of mobile "pull the pins" games. Make sure you pull the correct pins to get Doom Marine his weapons, otherwise the monsters will get you!

(Also don't make the Doom Marine fall in the blood or the slime by pulling the pin he's standing on)

Edited by PsychEyeball : I AM A GAME DESIGN GENIUS

10 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Does it make the final level more fun than someone using your knees for batting practice?

Come back to me on that one ;)

A Doom themed X-COM mod would work quite well. There's a an Open X-COM called PirateX or something like that which takes place in the aftermath of the Earth getting conquered, one of the many factions you fight against has Doom's demons.

6 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

surprisingly difficult game, i don't think i ever got past the 1st stage 

Honestly, the idea of an X-COM-style squad shooter/base building sim combo would really make sense! But any genre is fine, even some silly racing cart game or chibi-type JRPG (although Doom treatments would thusly get more blasphemous).

Honestly, sometimes, I do wish Doom SNES had been a Contra or even a Wild Guns clone. I think it would have been more suited to the console than a FPS. A Doom dungeon crawler with first-person combat à la Phantasy Star also could have worked.

Probably a goofy idea and I'm not sure if this counts, but... A Doom game akin to System Shock 2, with similar mechanics and gameplay. So I guess a survival horror? Doom 3 already has slight elements of SS: UI, audio logs... So why not go further? I can imagine more exploration: levels would be larger areas to explore rather than Doom 3's linear level-to-level structure; inventory management; slower-paced... Ok I guess what I'm trying to say is that Doom 3 should have been a System Shock clone, lol. Though I think it could work.

A Twisted Metal- or Spyhunter-styled third-person driving shooter where you run between different locations driving different vehicles, fitting them with various weapons, and blowing up massive numbers of demons and the occasional UAC building or demonic fortress.

Hell, take it a step further and include boat levels based on the gameplay of Blood Wake.

How about a fighting game? You could play as Doomguy or various other marines/demons who would all have different special moves and MK - style fatalities.

Can anyone dig up that isometric (Diablo-style) Doom mod that I saw once a million years ago, so I know I wasn't imagining it!?

On 5/10/2023 at 9:55 AM, Dragonfly said:

Those miniatures already exist thanks to the Doom Board Game

Was going to suggest a Space Hulk type board game, appears it's already a thing. Really want it now, worth it just for the awesome mini's. Pity they don't do a classic version with pixelated floor-plans and new mini's with the vintage look.

On 5/20/2023 at 4:31 PM, Maximum Matt said:

Can anyone dig up that isometric (Diablo-style) Doom mod that I saw once a million years ago, so I know I wasn't imagining it!?

Age of Doom?