Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellblazer

Doom Year Zero coming from Bethesda

Just now, Man of Doom said:

Hugo Martin has also confirmed that their next game will play more like “driving a monster truck” whereas Eternal’s gameplay was like “driving a Ferrari”.

I suspect that this next title will be less about unrelenting speed and more about destructibility.

Do you have a link to where he said this?

Microsoft is kinda scumbaggy for buying up all their competition. Im excited to see this, but I have serious reservations about it as well.

2 minutes ago, Dreamskull said:

Microsoft is kinda scumbaggy for buying up all their competition. Im excited to see this, but I have serious reservations about it as well.

who doesn't buy up all of their competition these days (and create some of the worst games known to man)

The competition that made better games than Microsoft.

thats a huge list....

fun aside. my Father went to college with and was lab partners with Bruce Artwick, the guy behind {Micronfloft} Flight Simulator... arguably a Good microsoft "videogame"

product.

7 minutes ago, LoatharMDPhD said:

thats a huge list....

fun aside. my Father went to college with and was lab partners with Bruce Artwick, the guy behind {Micronfloft} Flight Simulator... arguably a Good microsoft "videogame"

product.

i wouldn't really call MS flight simulator a game tbh

CnC had a lot going for it until EA decided that they really didn't like that at all

At least were getting something. I was concerned that they put the Slayer to sleep, sold him to Microsoft who wouldve then given him the Adrian Shepard treatment in favor of already having their champion in the form of Master Chief. I still dread living long enough to see a cross over.

Just please dont...

7 minutes ago, gamingcooler said:

i wouldn't really call MS flight simulator a game tbh

// If your German enough a spreadsheet could be considered a Videogame...

At least were getting something. I was concerned that they put the Slayer to sleep, sold him to Microsoft who wouldve then given him the Adrian Shepard treatment in favor of already having their champion in the form of Master Chief.

companies really kind of lost what made them popular.. idk why people play something from Bethesda or Blizzard or EA when they know that these companies are absolute trash

3 minutes ago, LoatharMDPhD said:

// If your German enough a spreadsheet could be considered a Videogame...

the eastern eggs in old versions of excel for cool though

Its the gaming plantation principle where they get snagged up and thats all they know, good or bad. The ultimate example of this is Nintendo.

Prob why indie games are becoming more and more popular. They're not usually riddled with bugs and play quite well (most of the time. I know there are exceptions)

4 minutes ago, Dreamskull said:

Its the gaming plantation principle where they get snagged up and thats all they know, good or bad. The ultimate example of this is Nintendo.

// I disagree.. form a historic aspect, pre 2000, Nintendo is very bushido... they are tied to "company man" life as much as business sense looking ahead farther than the west.; why the decided to have in house hardware development and also why game title development was slower but of overall greater ambition and QA\QC... opinion..

Thats fair, but Im trying to point towards the "type" that play Nintendo and only Nintendo. Thats what Im trying to allude to here. You spend enough time inside one of these things, it begins to mold your opinions about other things. Its sort of a stereotype. The opposite would be a person who has all the games on all the consoles and PC, but only 10 mins a day to play everything. Its a good example because Microsoft had a good stint in the console wars themselves and stereotypes of them also exist.

Nintendo Gang

Tourist Gamer

X-Box Bros

Ive personally played PC since early 90s, but my specifics were Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, PS2,3,4

I covered the odds and ends visiting friends who had the other stuff.

I mainly stick to PC these days.

Edited by Dreamskull

12 minutes ago, Dreamskull said:

Thats fair, but Im trying to point towards the "type" that play Nintendo and only Nintendo. Thats what I mean when I say plantation. You spend enough time inside one of these things, it begins to mold your opinions about other things. Its sort of a stereotype. The opposite would be a person who has all the games on all the consoles and PC, but only 10 mins a day to play everything. Its a good example because Microsoft had a good stint in the console wars themselves and stereotypes of them also exist.

Nintendo Gang

Tourist Gamer

X-Box Bros

Ive personally played PC since early 90s, but my specifics were Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, PS2,3,4

I covered the odds and ends visiting friends who had the other stuff.

I mainly stick to PC these days.

// damn right Orwellian.. not my bag sir..

HashTag PCMASTERRACE... totally onboard with that... Xbox prime and Xbox 360 {all generations} why... why put that little RAM in? Why? Why handicap yourself from the beginning...

Very much so, but these things and these types of people actually exist. Its often exaggerated, but spending time around specific communities can annoy you. For example, the Square Enix crowd annoys me to no end. We all have preferences molded by prior experience and some people were hand crafted by one and only one company. For them, thats literally all that exists in terms of gaming. THAT would be an example of someone on a gaming plantation.

Fanboyism can be bad. Say youre playing a game and its got its issue, for the sake of everything here, its legitimate. Say you go to a forum where ever that is and 100 people pop out the bushes to tell you youre wrong about it. They like it and because they like it, nothing can be done about it, regardless of how harmful whatever issue is. In many ways, this can be weaponized by the devs to become lazy because according to fanboys, they do no wrong.

Thats exactly how things spiral down. This can continue on for a long time. They have to be revealed as raving lunatics who cause real world harm before they even take a hit on any games and it has to be something indefensible because its not like the fanboys wont try to defend it. Even if, it still chugs along its merry way because half the time, nothing really matters to them, except when its their very particular point thats on the chopping block.

The particular point on the chopping block doesnt even have to have a point and it gets protected. Half the time youre just seen as "negative." Basically its any excuse to allow something good to be mutilated or to excuse something actually negative, which somehow isnt seen as negative, but youre still negative. They think they can bake cookies without burning the bottoms off. Its what happens when you raise rank using smarm tactic without goods.

Edited by Dreamskull

I typically keep to the side of gatekeepers to preserve whats there, but things can be infiltrated and taken over (OR BOUGHT OUT) and once taken over, the tools of gatekeeping fall out of the hands of the true community and into the hands of potential poisoners. From there, whats left to gatekeep?

Thats whats on the table with this new Doom headed up by Microsoft. Its certainly cool were getting a new game, but keep an eye out.

Edited by Dreamskull

7 hours ago, LoatharMDPhD said:

Bethesda game studios... why do i know that name.... anyway, here's a grab from my map, Evil Incarnate...

Screenshot from 2023-09-28 23-13-27.png

wow, I never expected to see Unity these days (and no, I'm not talking about the backstabbing engine). I didn't even knew if it still ran

On 9/21/2023 at 6:21 PM, Rudolph said:

At the same time, I do not think people really care about the story as long as it involves killing monsters with guns. Heck, I would even go as far as to argue that every single Doom game so far, including the sequels, has more or less the same plot, i.e. Hell attacks, Doomguy fights back.

I dont' care about the story either, what I'm saying is: Doom 3 is Doom 1 again, Doom 2016 is Doom 1 again, and Doom Eternal is Doom II again. Hope it doesn't happen again

Edited by jupiter_ex

21 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Do you have a link to where he said this?

As far as I can remember, it was from one of his livestreams (I think it was when he was playing through Reclaimed Earth).

3 hours ago, jupiter_ex said:

I don't care about the story either, what I'm saying is: Doom 3 is Doom 1 again, Doom 2016 is Doom 1 again, and Doom Eternal is Doom II again. Hope it doesn't happen again

What could Id do to prevent that from happening again, then? As I pointed out, every Doom game essentially has the same basic plot. Even if the next Doom game openly acknowledges the events of previous games, it is bound to be either a repeat of Doom 1 (if it is set on a remote location) or Doom 2 (if it set in a vastly-populated area). Aside from making a Doom game that is entirely set in Hell, I am not really sure what else could be done differently.

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

What could Id do to prevent that from happening again, then? As I pointed out, every Doom game essentially has the same basic plot. Even if the next Doom game openly acknowledges the events of previous games, it is bound to be either a repeat of Doom 1 (if it is set on a remote location) or Doom 2 (if it set in a vastly-populated area). Aside from making a Doom game that is entirely set in Hell, I am not really sure what else could be done differently.

I'm still sure we can see more stuff askin to Ultimate Doom or Doom 2, like Hell geoscape merging with the level (like super gore nest).

The story only need a reason to save earth or humans from the demons. 

32 minutes ago, D4NUK1 said:

Eventually, (assuming things don't change setup-wise) id is going to run this formula over and over again, reaching a logical limit to how many times they can use this formula.

On 9/29/2023 at 1:48 PM, D4NUK1 said:

I do not disagree, but to answer to @jupiter_ex, it seems difficult to come up with a premise that is not reminiscent of either Doom or Doom II. I guess you could always have the next Doom be a full-scale invasion of Hell as a place, but then, people are going to draw parallels with Quake II.

Edited by Rudolph

On 9/28/2023 at 5:20 AM, Quasar said:

They were not, I would argue, the adjustments that were necessary to fix that particular problem. That could have been done with more enemy variety alone, for example, or additional weapons. After the Argent Tower, the only new enemy to appear is the Baron IIRC. 

Changing the entire combat formula in the way it was done was done because that's what they wanted, not because of external feedback. Whether you think it's good, bad, or something in between, that's for id to own.

id argue the third act in d16 struggles mainly for level progression reasons. There are mechanical shortcomings that you mention (i'd also add that the upgrade system doesnt satisfy the full length of the game). But those final levels are also just, thematically, super erratic, and theres zero sense of anticipation to any except for the literal very final level. This specifically is what makes the finale fall flat. The gameplay, I find, is still fun in those final levels, but the staging and aesthetics are all totally anonymous compared to the rest of the game. In Eternal this specific aspect is very much improved.

one could argue thats moreso a case of like, perhaps having a longer time to cook? I have no concrete proof of this, but I feel like the final areas in games are often places where the stress marks show the most in cases where more development time was needed overall. So in theory that indicates something changed internally with how d16 versus Eternal were developed, and that hardly indicates anything to do with player feedback, really.

But regarding the combat formula thing, I dont really know, I think Id have to disagree. Of course it's for id to own because it's their creative choice. But I feel like it's fairly apparent that those changes were made to encourage behaviors you dont always see in d16. If ur primary complaint ab d16's gameplay was that it was too easy to just point blank enemies w/ the ssg or siege mode gauss cannon rather then doing the whole dance and such, which from where i've been sitting, it WAS for a lot of players, then that change addresses that feedback. Of course, maybe id didnt make that change for the sake of responding to that feedback.

But they've certainly been receptive to a LOT of other forms of "feedback". I would argue the entire tonal direction of doom eternal, for instance, is played the way it is bc they saw what people reacted to most strongly in doom 2016. That's "feedback".

in the doom eternal devs react to speedrun video they said some things they saw that they would fix in the next game back in 2020 proving that there was another game planned

On 9/28/2023 at 11:49 AM, Man of Doom said:

Hugo Martin has also confirmed that their next game will play more like “driving a monster truck” whereas Eternal’s gameplay was like “driving a Ferrari”.

I suspect that this next title will be less about unrelenting speed and more about destructibility.

aw, that's unfortunate. i loved doom eternal; imo it's one of the few modern aaa games that captures the speed and intensity of some of the doom community's more challenging wads, even if it's still quite different. i suppose it makes sense though, as that sorta gameplay style is a bit more niche than 2016.