Psychagogue

If you had been involved in the development of Doom and Doom II

-Hire Playtesters

-Make the textures slightly better and make it kinda like a different style

-Add new weapons

-???

-PROFIT!!!!

3 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

A big ol' nail stickin' outta his seat that he doesn't see, like a whoopee cushion from hell. Bet the other guys throughout the office would wonder when did a woman join the team when they hear his scream.

Plot twist: she wants estrogen now.

3 hours ago, Chainie said:

I would burn the office or destroy all materials of the game for lulz and go to jail

The darkest timeline.

image-5.png

12 hours ago, thelamp said:

Episode selection for Doom II rather than a continuous campaign

Increase the plasmagun's ammo efficiency just a little bit so it's not so useless compared to the BFG

pump shotgun changed to slot 2

pistol changed to slot 4 ('behind' the chaingun)

lite-amp goggles work by increasing brightness by one full light level. Effect stacks as you pickup more of them

add flying imps to the enemy roster

as far as maps go I would've wanted Tom Hall to stick around. He and Sandy working together could've produced much better maps than Sandy alone imo (as evidenced by Refueling base being a good map)

I have a similar opinion about weapon slots. I think somebody should make a mod for reordering the weapons. They shouldn't go up past 5, because that's as far as most players' fingers can reach comfortably. Heck, I may even do it myself if I learn how to. Here is the order I'd use:

1 - fist, chainsaw

2 - pistol, chaingun

3 - shotgun, super shotgun

4 - plasma rifle, BFG

5 - rocket launcher

As I typed this I felt like I was commiting a crime. Chaingun in slot 2 felt so wrong. Might have to think about the order better. Still, I don't know why they put the two shotguns in the same slot but never altered any other similar guns to fit together.

Edited by DoomGappy

2 hours ago, Amaruψ said:

I think it was Sandy who thought up of Elemental, no?

Fine I'll slap him too, lol

46 minutes ago, xdarkmasterx said:

Instant kill spikes with infuriatingly large hitboxes. Then Doom can finally claim to be a proper video game

I have even better idea. Let's make a trapdoor full of instakill spikes that has no clear boundaries or indication of existence and spread them around every level ala Witchaven.

6 hours ago, Amaruψ said:

They're good in their own right, but the sort of primitive shading the author has used on his 3-D models keeps reminding me of 90's FMV games with the bad 3-D rendering, where everything looks like it's made out of cake.

They also heavily clash with Adrian Carmack's digitized artwork.

Maybe it is nostalgia, but Doom's intermission screen reminds me of the world map for a gritty SNES game, which I love.

Wouldn't mind them in Heretic, but even then the texture resolution is pretty high on those models for Heretic.

Alright guys, don't mind the fact I can't speak because I'm an infant. I have a feeling that we should get more milage out of the Doom engine. How about we make a few more games after Doom 2 is finished, and let Carmack work on the Quake engine? That's probably going to take a good while to get done. Meanwhile, look at what the guys at Raven are doing, doesn't it look great? Bet we could do something better in shorter time. We have a solid gameplay loop, just make new assets and levels. 

Thanks for your attention, goo goo gaga. 

If I existed as an adult in 1994 and worked for id Software back when they were developing Doom II, I would have just done what the director told me to do, and nothing else, because suggesting ideas or making my own changes would not fit my job.

11 hours ago, Edward850 said:

I would do absolutely nothing because the perceived problems with Doom2 are more likely to have been caused by the natural evolution of its development and required timeline rather than conscious mistakes that placing another person on the team wouldn't magically change.

Yes. This.
Working in a team means being a team-member! Adding yourself to a team and expecting to become the director of the project or make direction level decisions without considering how it impacts the morale of the rest of the team is disastrous. Stomping on eggshells rather than tip-toeing around them is a good practice, but not at the expense of breaking the camel's back that's carrying everyone.

That being said, I do still appreciate seeing everyone's fantasy scenarios. 

Post Statement: To counter my own point, when I hire someone and they don't show initiative I need to check in with them to make sure they're invested.

Edited by Jerem : post statement

Oh, this is an easy ask. I'd remove everything that sucks and put in more good things. More equals better, so I'd put in more good things on top of that. Game design 101.

I would be strongly against Icon if Sin, as it's a boring boss-fight, with annoying endless spawn of enemies. It also ruined thousands of megawads, as they have to end up with icon-of-sin-like finale...

4 minutes ago, Matthias said:

It also ruined thousands of megawads, as they have to end up with icon-of-sin-like finale...

I mean, they don't. Nobody's ever stopped mappers from doing otherwise, and I can't even pretend to understand why it seems to be 'the thing to do', but I'm very tempted to one day make a megaWAD of 32 IoS fights just because.

47 minutes ago, Matthias said:

I would be strongly against Icon if Sin, as it's a boring boss-fight, with annoying endless spawn of enemies.

What would you have proposed instead?

4 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

What would you have proposed instead?

A regular boss fight.

Another boss enemy would be also a good thing for mapping in the future, because it feels like you don't have much options aside of Cyberdemon a Spider-Mastermind.

I'm honestly glad the Icon is a thing because it provides a lot of interesting behavior options for modders. But the map can totally make the fight suck if done wrong.

I'd re-detail refueling base, the Factory, and Downtown.  I may re-work Nirvana, but I wouldn't get rid of it altogether.  I like all those maps, but they could use some spice in the visual and combat encounter department.

Wouldn't change a thing about anything else.  I actually really love Doom 2 as a standalone wad. 

11 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

If there are some things I would change, those would be:

• Ensure Doom is designed with 320x240 resolution @30fps tic rate, instead of 320x200 resolution @35fps tic rate. That would mean that all in-game graphics would have 1:1 pixels. And also 30fps would interpolate better with framerates such as 60, 120 and 240 fps (since all those are perfect multiples of 30).
  • Faster weapon switching. About how much it is in say Minicharge mod or 1000 Lines 3 CP.
  • Make invulnerability tinting less obnoxious.
  • Somehow make pistol not useless once we get the chaingun. For example, make pistol fire accurate and faster, like how it is in Eviternity while making chaingun even faster, but also inaccurate at longer distances. So each weapon has it's use.
  • Somehow make plasma gun not useless once we get the BFG. Either make BFG consume somewhere between 60 to 80 cells per shot, Or make plasma shots deal more damage.
  • Make regular shotgun fire a bit faster (like it does in 1000 Lines 3) and also maybe make it fire 1 or 2 more pellets to make it a bit competitive against the SSG and also be able to 1-shot imps with more consistency.

Is there any good mod for the invulnerability thing, btw? It always bothers me too, it's too white.

2 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

Is there any good mod for the invulnerability thing, btw? It always bothers me too, it's too white.

This is just a property of the COLORMAP, so you can use a graphics editor (like GIMP) to change the colors.

2 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

This is just a property of the COLORMAP, so you can use a graphics editor (like GIMP) to change the colors.

Yeah, but I wanted one that had already been done and was good. Apparently nuts has one? I know that some ports offer alternatives for the light amplification visor.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/112211-nutswads-custom-invulnerability-palette/

26 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

Yeah, but I wanted one that had already been done and was good.

I've got a gold-tinted one in my casual play mod:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/139803-plumstuf-small-collection-of-chocolate-compatible-gameplay-graphic-tweaks/

And here's one I had kicking around that just turns things greyscale without inverting the brightness:

https://user.fm/files/v2-524baaec81c4b34113be742a1a62377d/gcolormap.wad

And then here's one I made for someone that resembles the effect you get in Heretic:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2146717

Several old wads had colormaps that used red or blue for invulnerability, they often didn't look great because of the colour range used though.

Many ports also offer the option of at least disabling the colormap invuln effect entirely, though it is useful to have some visual cue. IIRC Odamex (multiplayer-focused port) has it so your weapon changes colour but nothing else does.

17 minutes ago, plums said:

I've got a gold-tinted one in my casual play mod:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/139803-plumstuf-small-collection-of-chocolate-compatible-gameplay-graphic-tweaks/

And here's one I had kicking around that just turns things greyscale without inverting the brightness:

https://user.fm/files/v2-524baaec81c4b34113be742a1a62377d/gcolormap.wad

And then here's one I made for someone that resembles the effect you get in Heretic:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2146717

Several old wads had colormaps that used red or blue for invulnerability, they often didn't look great because of the colour range used though.

Many ports also offer the option of at least disabling the colormap invuln effect entirely, though it is useful to have some visual cue. IIRC Odamex (multiplayer-focused port) has it so your weapon changes colour but nothing else does.

Hey, Plums, these look really interesting. I was thinking about a small pistol update mod just recently. I'll give it a try asap! I also think the colormap is important, you need to know when things will get real. 

Nugget Doom lets me make it so the lighting is full bright, if colored numbers are on they turn white and then ofc there's the widget power up timer.