Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Knee-Deep in KDiZD (original project thread archived from 2008)

Actually, the only change I've made to the light-gradient textures was to correct their transparency, as a few of them ended up having their transparent parts turning to dark gray when I converted them from PNGs (from kdizd.pk3). The rest of the gradient hasn't been changed, and there's no solid black in any of them. The illusion is mainly just created from the fact that there's nothing but darkness behind the beam, so the solidity of it isn't covering up anything you'd be able to see much of.

I've just started work on (what i hope to be) one of the largest and most sprawling doom levels i've ever done, in the E1 style*. The vid has been very inspirational to me and has given me numerous ideas to blend various influences from E1, NMD and KDiKDiZD. I thought it'd be hard, but i'm working with Boom so i'v got it easy compared to you lot

*-a follow up to my last "E1" level, traffic control, which used E1 textures but was far from E1 style, heh.

deathbringer: good to hear :D

Nuxius is really fast. He did twice as much work on z1m2 in a day than I did on z1m3 in over a month. D:

Good to hear and see you guys are making progress, I'm really looking forward to this :D

just out of curiosity, how much progress has been made? another concern I just had was, will this be compatible with ZDoom? it seems that DeHacked isn't fully compatible with ZDoom at times.

hardcore_gamer: If you look all over the thread you can see screenshots of the maps so far. A few of the screenshots can also be seen on wip, and somewhere in this threa is apparently a demo video. You won't be getting the actual wad until it's released or until it's accidently leaked.

Patrick: No, as far as I know, some of the stuff we're doing will not work in ZDoom. Our goal is to make this work with doom2.exe so we're just forgetting about ZDoom compat.

Yeah, seriously. If you want a ZDoom experience then just play KDiZD. Or wait for KDiKDiKDiZD to come out.

And shouldn't that be "ZDoom doesn't support all of Dehacked's features" rather than "it seems that DeHacked isn't fully compatible with ZDoom" ;)

I thought one of the reasons for making this was so that it would be compatible with all ports? heh. I dont imagine it would have too many problems running in prBoom. guess I shouldn't complain, this looks like it'll turn out fun, regardless of what port it does/doesnt work with.

Patrick Pineda said:

I thought one of the reasons for making this was so that it would be compatible with all ports?

Nah, I don't really care about that at all. If someone wants to play KDiZD in a source port, they can use ZDoom to play the real thing. This is taking advantage of just about every vanilla trick in the book, and a few new ones...it's not really intended to be a port-compatible version of KDiZD. If that was the goal, it would have been boom-compatible instead of vanilla, and it would have probably been finished in a month or two :P

It *should* work correctly in PrBoom, though some tricks will likely require certain compatibility flags to be set.

exp(x) said:

Why the hell would you play KDiKDiZD with zdoom?

Because maybe that's the source port some people prefer? Just a thought.

Jim Rainer said:

Because maybe that's the source port some people prefer? Just a thought.

Because you already have KDiZD for ZDoom, because we would have to bend over backwards to either limit ourselves even more or make a version that simulates the vanilla tricks in ZDoom, and because a huge amount of the work being put into this project is making everything work and look good without breaking vanilla Doom, and playing it in a source port completely nullifies all of that work.

Playing KDiKDiZD in ZDoom makes about as much sense as buying tickets to an opera, going to the concert hall, and then just watching the opera in the lobby on your iPod.

esselfortium said:

playing it in a source port completely nullifies all of that work.

I still think that that the wad should be made workable with at least some ports, there is not a chance that i for one am going to use dosbox or some shit to run this. No not even coco doom.

I'm tempted to join the team just so I can be indifferent to whether some random people will play it or not. :p

But then I'd have to contribute, and that'd suck. :/

I would like to be able to run this with a modern port, ideally something that has a higher screen resolution available. Does Chocolate Doom support higher screen resolutions?

Chocolate Doom runs at 320x200 and only supports higher resolutions via pixel-doubling/tripling/etc. If it supported actually rendering higher resolutions, some maps that stay within Doom's rendering limits at 320x200 would break them at higher resolutions, due to more being rendered.

Chocolate Doom is the recommended source port for playing KDiKDiZD, and is where most of its testing is done, but PrBoom should work if you want to play it in a higher resolution.

Death-Destiny said:

Vanilla Doom does not work on my hardware... =(
Which port would I want to use bearing that in mind?

Chocolate Doom

hardcore_gamer said:

I still think that that the wad should be made workable with at least some ports, there is not a chance that i for one am going to use dosbox or some shit to run this. No not even coco doom.

That's quite a poor attitude. I use skulltag and zdoom for playing other wads frequently but Choco is just fine for me.

If you want to use ZDoom, just go play the real thing. You could already do that a year ago. But we'd like it if you didn't complain about not being compatible with ZDoom, since that is not at all what our goal is. The point is to remake kdizd using the most bare and basic (and original) version of doom, whether it breaks the more advanced ports or not.

I still don't see what your problem with choco doom is.

i dont get why people still want to use zdoom for a wad that was specifically targeted for the original doom engine and nothing else. the whole reason for this project is to use vanilla doom (chocolate is the same thing, its just that vista users can use it).

hardcore_gamer said:

And you consider yourself a hardcore gamer...

hardcore_gamer said:

hey! consider yourself lucky, back in my day, we didnt have source-ports. we didn't even have computers! i had to run Doom on 2 sticks and a rock!

Patrick Pineda said:

hey! consider yourself lucky, back in my day, we didnt have source-ports. we didn't even have computers! i had to run Doom on 2 sticks and a rock!

KDiKDiZD is actually being *developed* using sticks and rocks!