Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duvel

Heretic: Treasure Chest - PLEASE FILL IN SLOTS!

I'll always take a few extra rock textures, Creaphis. :3

I could use some more rock choices for E3M8. I will take a look at this as soon as I get the chance. I am on the wrong computer at the moment (my other computer is down for now).

Ismaele, I don't have time to revamp the map from scratch unless somebody else takes over the slot and does the map, it's up to ler

alterworldruler said:

Ismaele, I don't have time to revamp the map from scratch unless somebody else takes over the slot and does the map, it's up to ler

I understand: making a map again from scratch is hard! You can try to revamp your actual level, if you have got time: try to add details and such.

Is this really a problem? Can't the player avoid the water?

Fenriswolf said:

Hey Lorenzo, impressive map, I really liked the idea of the gate you first have to lower to pass and than to upper to use it as a bridge...

But I think theres one problem: If you fall in the water at the beginning, I saw no stairs to get back and because jumping is not allowed, there is no chance to survive...

@Creaphis: That was what I was looking for all the time! Thank you! But there are still a few textures I miss, for example a bookshelf texture...

@Lorenzo: Well, I just thought it would be a bit unfair. I jumped in the water at the beginning to see If theres any hidden area, but when I noticed I losed life I wanted to get out but couldn't

@Lord_Z: Please give me the answers to my question! I really need them to make a new update!!!!

Fenriswolf said:
@Lord_Z: Please give me the answers to my question! I really need them to make a new update!!!! [/B]

Yeah... Lord_Z give him the answers to his question! I really need the updated version of Fenriswolf's level to review it.

Thank you, Ismaele! ;)
Yeah, but if he don't give the answers tomorrow, I would say you could test the un-updated version. I know that would be not the best case, but maybe its better for my than to have no review...
But lets see, maybe he will answer them by time...

Sorry! Would have gotten back to you sooner but I was working. The answers:

With which port are you playing?
Skulltag. Yes, yes, I know it's a Zdoom based port but this should still not happen.

Well, no I have the problem: Should I use unanimated green waterfalls or animated blue waterfalls with green water (which looks stupid as you did say)?
Your choice. Blue may not match entirely but an unanimated waterfall would look very strange indeed.

I'm not sure which ones you mean...
There is a hallway that has a bunch of ceilings that try to crush you. Their ceilings do not match the upper texture. I believe they have green rock based upper textures and the actual ceiling textures are brown, this does not look quite right.

Well, yeah I didnt really know what to do here. I tried both (upper and lower unpegged) but both didn't work.
For door tracks, using the lower unpegged setting should do it. If it does not work I do not know why.

How did you do this? You know jumping is not allowed?
Yes I know. I was looking for a way to get to the green key and I just ran off a ledge above it and made it over.

Sorry, my English isn't the best (Btw I'm German :) ), but tune simply means music, yeah?
Yup, as long as it is in Midi format.

Hope this is easier to understand :)

@ Ferins Wolf.

It is probably possible to jump into the green key enclosure from the height ledges surrounding it. When I played through your map I gave it a couple of quick attempts because at first I couldn't see the lift that takes you to the switch that raises the bridge.

The "HOM" mistake, is probably relating to the fact that sectors 1 and 8 are unclosed and feature several isolated and unesscerry linedef's hidden under the linedef's of other sectors. I was able to see three instances of these extra linedef's in the outside area at a quick glance. These unclosed sectors will cause issues in any port and the dos engine. Also sector 182 near the blue key has the same issue.

Vanilla Heretic has no support for adding new animated textures or flat's. Though for textures, you could bolt new animations on to the sides of existing ones, but nobody has decided to do that.

Every single major port out there (Doomsday, ZDoom etc etc) have methods to add new animated textures or flats that will work in themselves (though you can have lumps from multiple ports in the same wad).

As for your door track pegging issue. Assuming it is just a normal door, what you want is lower pegging by itself. It's purely a visual thing, but it seems to be the popular opinion that having the door tracks not move as a door opens looks better than having them move.

"Tune" does mean music.

Also, you might want to check the left side of the stairs to the right of the blue key. You've got some mid textures there where you shouldn't.

Ismaele said:

E4M5

Ah yes, the old sky clipping bug (always hated those since the dawn of time). Still, given that the reason for the low sky has been removed (in the PII original it was for silhouetting dark trees against red sky) it might be possible to sort that one out.

Ok...

--- LINK DELETED, LOOK FOR THE LATEST DARKOCEAN VERSION INSTEAD ---

The newest update...

I fixed many of the small things you have mentioned (texture alignments, the two unpegged doors in the fire area, door and crusher textures etc...

And it should not be possible to jump to the green key any more.

But I was wondering why you have this HOM effect and I dont have it, because I teyt my map with Skulltag, too.
I remapped this are at the main temple, I hope it works better know, in my test it did (but that doesnt mean much because it worked fine before, too).

In the end I decided it is better to have blue waterfalls and green water than to have unanimated green waterfalls, so nothing did change here.

As for Vermils problem he mentiones last:
I dont really know hat you mean. I looked at it, but everything seems to be normal at the left of the stairs to the right of the blue key. Maybe you mean that blue banner hich is in front of the two skulls but I wanted it to look like this (If you mean this one), beacause the two skulls should be a little bit behind it.

Phew! Now I won't get stoned for not answering :P

@Fenriswolf: That HOM area now works fine for me. It must have been a simple building error.

Lord_Z said:

Phew! Now I won't get stoned for not answering :P

@Fenriswolf: That HOM area now works fine for me. It must have been a simple building error.

I didnt want to stone you ;)
I was just excited what you would say and I couldnt wait for Ismaele playtesting the map and he needed the updated version to playtest I I needed your answers to update the WAD...
Well and if I should have been rude I hope you excuse me ;)

Good, that the HOM thing is not anymore, but did you see the other HOM thing Vermil described?

I think this is the issue here:

The lines that are circled are not connected to each other properly. There are two sided and one sided lines along the length of the staircase. Try to go back and make sure that the two sided lines become one with the one sided lines.

The area with the 1 on it is the sector that those lines belong to and if you hover over it in sector mode you can see that it is not entirely closed. If a sector is not closed properly then weird stuff happens. It could be best to make each area its own sector rather than having a bunch of smaller areas all joined into a big sector.

So I worked on it, hope its better know, because I just changed this thing I dont call it a real update and so I just changed the link above...

Hey, I need for you folks to take a look at this.

This is the top part of a triple stained glass window. One of each texture apiece, the one with the crossed trident centrepiece is on bottom, the one depicting D'Sparil in the middle, and the arched version of the one with the crossed trident centrepiece is on top, of course.

I arched its setting to eliminate the black border as much as I could, but now that I look at it afterwards I'm wondering if I could do to eliminate it more. What's the consensus? If I needed to, I know I honestly wouldn't notice it while playing the actual level if I didn't, and neither would anybody else, but it's good practice to be thorough.

To me, that looks fairly good. Knowing me, I probably would not have noticed the black area while playing on the map. However, if you are willing to, you should try to eliminate a little bit more of the black, just for perfection-ness. ;) It may be a lot of work now, but it will more than likely be worth it in the end.

Ler: is it possible for me to switch E5m7 and take e5m8 instead? This map is over 2000 sectors already and I want to use the maulotaur special in it.

Fenriswolf said:

So I worked on it, hope its better know, because I just changed this thing I dont call it a real update and so I just changed the link above...

@ Ferins Wolf, that's one of them yes. But there are still many more of these errors in your map that may mess it up in some way.

Using the sector numbers of your latest version (because they've changed slightly in it since the old version;

Sectors 1, 8, 266, 277, 278 and 338 (I found some more) still have this problem.

I'll have a go at fixing these for you.

Remiel said:

This is the top part of a triple stained glass window. One of each texture apiece, the one with the crossed trident centrepiece is on bottom, the one depicting D'Sparil in the middle, and the arched version of the one with the crossed trident centrepiece is on top, of course.

I arched its setting to eliminate the black border as much as I could, but now that I look at it afterwards I'm wondering if I could do to eliminate it more. What's the consensus? If I needed to, I know I honestly wouldn't notice it while playing the actual level if I didn't, and neither would anybody else, but it's good practice to be thorough.

Unpeg the upper so that the stone texture will be aligned.

I think this looks as good as it can with an engine that doesn't support slopes.

Too bad Heretic+ complains about unknown thing numbers or you could have made it so that it slopes in engines that support ZDoom slopes and doesn't otherwise. Mapunits are big enough that, even if you make 1-mapunit-wide sectors, it'll still crenelated.

Thank you very much!

It is unbelievable: Before you edited my map, there were about 220 sector/linedef errors, now there are only 20, which are ignorable.

You also added some nice details, but i noticed you put all of my sounds in one corner... Why did you do so? I thought we are allowed to use up to 8 sounds in the map, and I had exactly 8....

Well, all in all, thank you for this great job!!!

I edited a few things, so here we go....

--- LINK DELETED, LOOK FOR THE LATEST DARKOCEAN VERSION INSTEAD! ---

@Fenriswolf

And then there were none.

I've fixed those last map errors. It is based off the version you've posted, not the one that I posted, so as to include your latest edit's.

I've uploaded it to the same link as before;

http://www.darkocean.info/E4M6.WAD

As for why I moved your ambient sounds and grouped them at the edge of the map. Heretic's ambient sounds don't play in the area you place them. They can be heard no matter where you are in the level. You can also not choose when they will play, Heretic will randomly decide when to play an ambient sound.

When Heretic goes to play an ambient sound, it essentially looks at the ambient sound things on the map and then picks one at random to play. If you have one waterfall thing and one wind thing, Heretic will have a 50% chance of picking either of them to play.

If you have three waterfall things and one wind thing, Heretic has a 75% chance of playing the waterfall sound and a 25% chance of playing the wind sound.

These days, various source ports have individual methods that allow a modder to place ambient sounds that are only heard in certain areas.

Thank you I'll test it tomorrow, I noticed you added a secret area...

Well, I think ler hates me now, this will be the 4. update PM to him since he was online the last time...

Remiel said:

If you used 1-unit-wide sectors, you could potentially fit it exactly to the shape of the texture...but you would probably not want to do that.

Another possible solution is to use two custom midtextures, cut to the shape of the arch (using the stained glass texture to get the shape from): one to go in front, directly on the wall, that's cut out from the wall texture, and another to go 1 unit behind it that's something sort of like CEIL5_1 in appearance (i.e. nondescript gray noise, preferably matching somewhat with the texture in front). If Doom's fake contrast is a problem, you could use two slightly-diagonal lines for the inner noise midtexture (so that there are three lines including the outer one, forming a very thin triangle shape), so that they're lit to the same level that the actual ceiling would be.

If you do it right, it should look effectively like you made arched windows, without the hassle (and seg usage) of actually doing it in the map.

Holy Progress Batman! I go away for 2 days and all of this shit gets posted. Good job?

rf asked me on irc whether or not I'm actively compiling together new textures into the texture wad and the answer is no because jesus christ that's too much work. We've got a completed texture wad, and you can use any other textures you want provided you make sure there are no naming conflicts.

Fenriswolf I'm assuming I should get the one from darkocean.info.

Mapping assignments, I'll get right to those, and uploading Lorenzo's e4m1. As for alterworldruler's map, I can say that if anyone wants to seriously overhaul it with your permission I can replace it with that one, but if there's going to be a brand new map I'd prefer it to go to another slot and fill in the extras. We can be picky AFTER we have 45 completed maps.

rf is taking E5M8. Didn't figure he'd mind. I also need to figure out why he has double @s because he keeps talking to me in #htc on OFTC so I KNOW he's got progress.

Also, Update Calls are this week! Send in progress or, better yet, finished maps.