Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IRod54

My megawad project "Journey To Hell"

I think all your stuff looks way too similar to itself. It is not a comment meant to offend, but it is what I think. Not to say it looks bad, per se, but it seems so repetitive.

Who cares if some people get their noses out of joint, release the thing, alot more people will get enjoyment from playing it, and maybe you'll even go down in history as another megawad creator who stirred the pot at little, and get on doomworld's 15- or 20-years-of-doom feature if they make one.

I am looking forward to playing this. Your architecture is great, and as long as you incorporate difficulty levels, it should appeal to most skill levels (admittedly the two cyberdemons on L3 UV or whenever it was is probably a bit over the top, but there's always normal). I'm glad you're continuing on.

IRod54 said:

Just too scared to release it because of too many influences from other wads and the fact that I worry it might be too hard anyway.

Given the style of gameplay you're aiming for a AV/HR/DVII influence is only to be expected in your maps, which is not a bad thing so long as you can avoid re-creating the more influential maps in an identifiable form. Even if it's done subconsciously some people are bound to get upset. As for making gameplay too hard - some players are already looking forward to having their balls handed to them on a plate and it would be a shame to have to disappoint them. ;-)

One request - could you upload screenshots in JPG format? They'll be much smaller and quicker to download than 48bit PNG's.

GreyGhost said:
Given the style of gameplay you're aiming for a AV/HR/DVII influence is only to be expected in your maps, which is not a bad thing so long as you can avoid re-creating the more influential maps in an identifiable form.

I haven't checked the demo but I think that's the problem, according to some comments in the latest T/nC.

If I were you I would start be re-doing the maps that have been obviously 'inspired' by previous works.

Use3D said:

Or, option B, instead of trying so hard to make the next greatest megawad of all time, just focus on making it original for starters.

I think what Use3D said in the other thread is the best advice so far.

I know how badly you want this to be great. But if it flops, it flops. I'm sure you'll be taking us on plenty more journeys to hell.

Use3D said:

If I were you I would start be re-doing the maps that have been obviously 'inspired' by previous works.

Don't scrap the maps, you already made them and they are already finished... Minus as well have SOME use for them.

If a WAD has stuff based on levels you don't have permission to use as a base, you may:

• Continue that way and risk having the original authors get it nuked from idgames, possibly later when you've put even more work into it.
  • Remove the maps that aren't completely yours altogether and make new ones in their place.
  • Edit the maps that aren't completely yours, taking out any sections that were based on other maps.
  • Get explicit permission to use the maps from those in charge of them; the authors of the maps in question and team leader of the megawad.

IMO there's nothing wrong with being "inspired" by other maps...but when you do that, you should at least derive from the originals to add your own twists. For example look at the many Doom 1 map remakes in which it's still easy to see where the inspiration comes from, but the maps themselves are different enough to be considered original.

Whether you were subconsciously inspired by other maps is really irrelevant: People will still see the similarities (even I noticed the similarity with AV in map6, and I have a horrible map memory). Either remove the parts, keep them as they are and be criticized or edit them to be more unique. I'd recommend the last option.

To be honest, Those 24 maps certainly were very good for satisfying my craving for hr/av-style gameplay.

I could only imagine what the last eight maps would have been like, though.

No shortage of drama queens in the Doom community, good lord.

IRod54 said:

I probably won't make any more stuff after this.

Don't let one bad experience put you off. Take a break for a few days, wash some of the tar and feathers off, see what sort of feedback you get for the other maps and allow the demo wad drama some time to run it's course before making a decision you might later regret.

*Sigh* IRod, while I do like your maps, your self-esteem issues and your thing for being so dramatic on reacting to negative criticisms both really worry me.

I mean, even I wouldn't throw such self-pity parties when my maps get criticized.... if I could map, that is. Oh, and I agree with Greyghost's suggestion to take a break for a few days. Not forever, because it would really pain me to see another quality mapper go... moreso for stupid reasons.

Edit: I'm sorry if that was a bit harsh, but I had to get that out of my system.

IRod54 said:

I don't plan on sending this to idgames, just something for you all to enjoy and would rather just get this out of the way. I probably won't make any more stuff after this. I tried my best, but I guess mapping is just not my cup of tea.

Don't stop mapping goddammit! Just rip out the clone maps, and make new ones.

dude, keep mapping. see, your original work was very well received after all.

Don't worry. I just gave a little stern talking-to myself over in the blogs section about accepting critizism and having my posts being pity-free from this post on. I can promise that there will absolutely be NO signs of pity in my posts from here on out.

Obviously you can do whatever you want, but it's a shame to see a project abandoned when it's 75% complete. If you want my advice, ask some people to playtest the 24 maps you've completed so far. They'll be able to tell you which of your maps are too hard or too closely resemble maps in existing wads. With this information you should then be able to fix the offending maps and address your concerns.

*Sigh* IRod, while I do like your maps, your self-esteem issues and your thing for being so dramatic on reacting to negative criticisms both really worry me.

I mean, even I wouldn't throw such self-pity parties when my maps get criticized.... if I could map, that is. Oh, and I agree with Greyghost's suggestion to take a break for a few days. Not forever, because it would really pain me to see another quality mapper go... moreso for stupid reasons.

Edit: I'm sorry if that was a bit harsh, but I had to get that out of my system.

Don't worry, Gun/everyone else. You won't see any more posts like that. I'm here to stay!!! In fact, map 13 is now underway!

Jesus Christ, this is more like a journey through past experiences. Seriously try to come up with something original instead of just copy and pasting from other wads. Any autistic toddler and his mother can use ctl v, there's no mapping skill involved. You claim to have made these maps from scratch? I was actually appalled by how much you copy and pasted in map 25 of your wad, that map is just a blatant rip off kiddo. Your whiny attitude isn't helping matters much either.

Ignore Whiteboy567, he just thinks you can't map worth crap. (and having a "race"-based name probably wouldn't help his case either) Judging from your Hellopolis map, I knew what you can really do when you put your mind and heart into it.

Also, I'll be testing out your maps in a very little bit.

Edit: GreyGhost - Map25 reminds me of Demonic Hordes and Overwhelming Odds, only it's shorter and slightly easier. (not that I mind or anything, because I see that map is a fitting precursor to my absolute favorite map out of the entire megawad.)