Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whoo

TNT 2: Devilution (Texture Pack in OP)

pcorf said:

Is this project active?

I submitted my level but it appears that nothing has happened. Maybe I submitted it to the wrong person.

I replied to your email with my brief thoughts. It's a matter of patience with the testers (assuming you also sent the map to them), and the first post wasn't updated because there was a glitch in the forum that wasn't letting me edit posts.

Whoo said:

I replied to your email with my brief thoughts. It's a matter of patience with the testers (assuming you also sent the map to them), and the first post wasn't updated because there was a glitch in the forum that wasn't letting me edit posts.

Oh okay I see. No problems. When I was working on WOS I even had this problem on the WOS project page on DW.

I will provide the testers a download to the map eventually. It will be zipped and the latest texture wad will be required. There may be quite a few problems with the gameplay because I'm never really that great with item placement.

Awesome screens the last few pages guys. I am so encouraged as to how creatively and interestingly you guys have been using both the stock TNT textures along with all the new stuff.

Ok. Business stuff.

I will send out a new version of the texture pack in the next few days: version 30.

Fear not, it has only very minor changes from version 29: specifically a new ceiling lights flat: and a new wall texture: , as well as one minor bug fix.

I felt like these blue patches would really round out the color spectrum in the pack. Yeah yeah, I'm a perfectionist, and I can't help always tinkering with things. But nothing has been changed that will affect anything you mappers have already done. Soz to the mappers that I keep making little changes after you guys have done so much work already!

Anyway, here is a list of the mappers I have compiled by going through this thread, as well as playtesters, and who I will send this latest version of the texture pack sometime within the next half week or so. If you are not on this list and think you should be then please PM me or post here. (Though I *think* I have everybody.)

Active mappers:
---------------

Archi
Archfile
Alterworldruler
gvozdevik
Lupinx-Kassman
Olympus
pcorf (email, not PM :D)
ProcessingControl
Tango
The Mionic Donut
Valkiriforce
whoo
Xaser

I should mention here that C30N9 signed up ages ago; he finished a map that got rejected originally but has continued working on it and should probably be on the TNT2 list somewhere also.

Playtesters: (I'm assuming you guys are all current, as I just copied this list from the TNT2 website.)
------------

hawkwind
Megamur
MegaDoomer
LordPazman

Contributors who have finished their work for this, (and consequently don't need the texture pack, though you are welcome to it if you want it):
-------

Stupid Bunny
Xenonemisis
EmZee712
Melon
Memfis

And last of all, a couple of screenies from my current map. It has taken forever to get the texturing right for this map, seeing as the theme is predominantly green. PROGRESS FTW!!

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I should mention here that C30N9 signed up ages ago; he finished a map that got rejected originally but has continued working on it and should probably be on the TNT2 list somewhere also.

Actually, Whoo did accept the map, but he said he'll work on it. It's ok if I'm not in the list. Probably my map got refused or he forgot. But I don't wanna ruin the mappers' list now.

The map is around 1 year old.

Dude, you aren't ruining anything.

In the end it is totally up to whoo, but I am sure we will slot your map in somewhere if we possibly can. I thought it was a really good map, and with a little work, it will fit right into this project.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA: If you're interested there are some slightly better looking (IMHO) SHAWN computer and TEKGREN-esque textures in this set I recently made:

Your computer texture edits remind me of their equivalents in Doom 3...

C30N9 said:

Actually, Whoo did accept the map, but he said he'll work on it. It's ok if I'm not in the list. Probably my map got refused or he forgot. But I don't wanna ruin the mappers' list now.

The map is around 1 year old.

Yeah I must have forgot to go back and polish it up (probably because I was busy in school). We could probably replace it with Alter's MAP24, as that map was put in as filler from the original demo three years ago.

I'm going to have to look for it and make sure it got backed up when I reinstalled Windows a month ago.

Whoo said:

Yeah I must have forgot to go back and polish it up (probably because I was busy in school). We could probably replace it with Alter's MAP24, as that map was put in as filler from the original demo three years ago.

I'm going to have to look for it and make sure it got backed up when I reinstalled Windows a month ago.

Thanks.

If you don't have it. You can contact KyKa as I already don't have it on this drive.

Hey Nightmare. Thanks for those textures. The are pretty good, and many are certainly better than what was there. I really liked the almost 'bumpmapped' feel of some of those textures, especially the very first computer texture with the brown step stripes. That is an amazing piece of work. I have put the majority of your stuff in, though I have made some modifications to some. I just felt that, because this is a vanilla project, a couple of the textures needed more contrast to make them stand out more, especially at lower, vanilla-ish resolutions.

I kept a lot of the old, harder edged borders, and pasted your detailing over the top, that way, I kept the harder contrast of the originals, plus your much better detailing.

So for example, original: . Yours: Final modified:

Thanks for the textures, they are really good. Cheers.

You know, after that, maybe there should be another megawad in the style of Evilution since PRCP. Call it TNT Ressurection Community Project (TRCP).

T-Rex said:

You know, after that, maybe there should be another megawad in the style of Evilution since PRCP. Call it TNT Ressurection Community Project (TRCP).

With the amount of work that has gone into TNT2 so far, we may be getting ahead of ourselves here to be thinking about the next TNT megawad.

But that said, yes I would love to see many many TNT based megawads.

And speaking of work, new version of texture pack is almost done.

Changes that may affect mappers:

has been replaced with

has been replaced with

The coloring on the two newer versions looks far better with other 'classic' Doom textures than the earlier versions. I think they are heaps better.

has been replaced with

This is because the 72 high original was tiling weirdly in newer sourceports. Hope this change doesn't bork anybody's maps.

has been replaced with

Also and added. Also a bunch of Nightmare's textures have either replaced existing ones or been added as new textures. And other stuff as well.

I'll get this sent out soon. Happy mapping.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

The coloring on the two newer versions looks far better with other 'classic' Doom textures than the earlier versions. I think they are heaps better.

I think the original versions look a lot better. Why not keep the old ones too?

Processingcontrol said:

I think the original versions look a lot better. Why not keep the old ones too?

I agree. The new versions of the top two are seriously awful. The emboss filter does not a good Doom texture make.

Yeah, I think those top two are the only textures that would look bad in the pack. They look more like a bumpmap texture.

Dammit...I have those in my map, mostly as decoration but they wont look quite as good with the new styles. Oh well...

New Room: The Bloody Basin

This one should be fun.

Layout is probably between 70-73 percent, but I have midterms and stuff in the next month. I've only been mapping to get my mind off other things lately, but expect major progress in April. This thing should be ready for testing by late May, if not before.

I actually didn't think anybody would use those top two textures in their current form, as I thought they would be the wrong shade of brown to go with most of the other textures that people would use.

I do think the newer versions will be usable in more mapping situations, and I still think they look pretty good 'in game' even if they don't look so good on paper.

But I totally hear what you guys are saying. I will put the originals back in, and leave the new ones as different textures for the sake of choice.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Also Mionic, that area looks really unique, but classic at the same time. I like. Looking at your health, one can assume that you have already seen some hard fighting. It is probably safe to assume that more hard fighting will result from hitting that skull switch...

Nitro, in case you missed it, check out PRCP.wad as well. It is Plutonia 3 in every way except for the name.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Nitro, in case you missed it, check out PRCP.wad as well. It is Plutonia 3 in every way except for the name.

Wow, that's Plutonia 3? That's awesome! Anyways, I can't wait for TNT 2.

Ok. Final changes, then we should be done with this texture pack. (Excepting any glitches or mapper special requests.)

I have redone the two new textures to be less harsh looking, and smoother.

Before: After:

Before: After:

And also added the following:

Brown COMPSPAN texture. Really simple, but looks really effective.

Inset brick texture.

Experimental corrugated metal texture, which came up pretty well.

Bolts texture, with less horizontal repetition than EGSUPPRT3.

And that is all. Any comments, criticisms etc, you know the deal.

Are the original browns staying in?

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

I will put the originals back in, and leave the new ones as different textures for the sake of choice.

So yes. The original textures will remain exactly as they were (BROWNHEX and BROWNTEK), so as not to bork anywhere that they have already been used. The new textures will be there alongside the old versions, but obviously with different names. (BROWNHEY and BROWNTEC)

Is there any sort of upper limit on map length and difficulty, so long as it stand withing the vanilla/choco thresholds? My map is going to be a behemoth, and I just want to make sure I don't wind up turning it in just to get a "what were you thinking?"

You asked for extra long and hard, so just a heads up, and (cock jokes aside) I intend to deliver.

Let me know if I need to double-time it with the status bar. It's still just sitting on my hard drive. I figured I could wait for the final touches until the maps were done, but I can pick up the pace if you need me to.

TheMionicDonut said:

Is there any sort of upper limit on map length and difficulty, so long as it stand withing the vanilla/choco thresholds? My map is going to be a behemoth, and I just want to make sure I don't wind up turning it in just to get a "what were you thinking?"

You asked for extra long and hard, so just a heads up, and (cock jokes aside) I intend to deliver.

I am making a behemoth as well. A couple of my maps already break the savegame buffer. Having mentioned this to whoo a while back, his response, (and I agree) was that as long as the maps maintain all other vanilla limits (seg, visiplane etc etc,) then we will live with some maps breaking the savegame buffer.

In the end, if your map is a good map, (and if the screens I have seen are any indication, it will be,) then that will be much more the deciding factor than merely if it is a large map.

Megamur said:

Let me know if I need to double-time it with the status bar. It's still just sitting on my hard drive. I figured I could wait for the final touches until the maps were done, but I can pick up the pace if you need me to.

That status bar rocks. Just sayin'

Certainly no rush at all, but I guess the sooner it is in, the longer people have to decide whether any alterations or changes might be worth making. etc etc.

But there is still lots of time yet.

Just an updated list of people. Please post if any of this information is not accurate.

Active mappers:
---------------

Archi
Archfile
Alterworldruler
Lupinx-Kassman
Olympus
pcorf
ProcessingControl
Tango
The Mionic Donut
Valkiriforce
whoo
Xaser
C3N09
gvozdevik

Active mappers (?)
-----------

EvilNed
Stygian

Playtesters:
------------

hawkwind
Megamur
MegaDoomer
LordPazman

Contributors who have finished their work for this:
-------

Stupid Bunny
Xenonemisis
EmZee712
Melon
Memfis

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

That status bar rocks. Just sayin'

Certainly no rush at all, but I guess the sooner it is in, the longer people have to decide whether any alterations or changes might be worth making. etc etc.

But there is still lots of time yet.

Thanks very much! :)

And you're right about giving people time to suggest corrections, so I made a few more minor tweaks.

Better defined the border between the top of the fleshy spot and the actual, in-game viewing area, and also eliminated the "indentations" of the missing letters and just left behind a bit of a "clean spot" where the A used to be. Feedback is fine, but I'll also settle for, "Perfect! Don't change a thing!" :)

And, awesome, I'm on the official playtester list.