Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Not sure what I'm doing tonight, but I was doing some 400 Minutes of VR last night...

Just played 2OBERON by Simo Malinen and, for me, it was a perfect pick in honor of Doom's 30th Anniversary.   An exploratory tech-base with puzzle elements and decent combat.  Missed a secret but this is the kind of map I'll replay.

Base Ganymede, absolutely loving the lack of ammo.

This careful and calculated approach suits me much better than the wildness of Plutonia-like WADs.

Currently on M2E6, which I have replayed a dozen times now, inching closer and closer to a win!

17 hours ago, St1ffN1pls said:

The Troopers' Playground, unity

I also started playing this one today.  my internet was down this morning, perfect time to throw on a classic of the offline games genre ;)

I remember when Romero released E1M4B, people liked how the level kept opening up behind you, and then MyHouse took that idea to 11, but man, this wad was doing that back in 1996!  it's quite clever seeing what every switch is gonna end up doing

image.png

Guess I'll add Trooper's Playground to the 'now playing' list as well. Just gotta wait till @Revenant100 does the usual Unity comparison, incase the Unity port has some updated maps for the best experience.

Also gonna try to finish Whitemare 2 this month, as well as the two remaining christmas DBP/DBK's

I'm playing Sigil 2 right now, I've beaten 3 maps so far and am now at the secret map. I'm enjoying it so far, but honestly not as much as I thought I would.

I'm also currently replaying Scythe 2, since I've never actually beaten the entire thing (talking about the later maps, from map 23 onwards). But I paused this playthrough until I'm done with Sigil 2.

Currently Playing Eviternity on HMP and I am at Map11. Hopefully I can complete it and then move on to its sequel.

Done with Sigil now, now I'm back at Scythe 2.

Map 23 already nearly drove me nuts, kept dying in stupid ways and the beginning is just horrible. Now I'm at map 24 and even tho it doesn't look too bad, I struggle with it. Not sure why tho, you have so much space and so much ammo / health, yet I just can't get a good run going. 

Has anyone ever felt like, "I should be able to beat this, but I just can't"?

I started chipping away at Double Impact, since Sigil II has me in the mood for some more Doom 1.

It's an awesome beefed up Episode 1 for sure. I'm not sure if it was intentional but I like how there's always a few rooms that look like remixes of the original E1. Difficulty seems pretty high, definitely choked on health and ammo at times, but I guess I appreciate that going against the base E1 enemies. That said I was happy to see Caco's pop up in map 3.

With giant maps and hundreds of monsters, these are taking awhile to get through so I'll probably just slowly chip away at it. Sigil II kind of has me itching for more quicker tightly paced maps right now. But I never want to sound like big maps are a negative. Just depends on the flavor of the day for me. So far the first three maps of Double Impact have been really good, so I'll keep playing it.

I think I might hit up Sigil with the Buckethead OST this weekend, I never did play it that way before. It'll be cool to compare it to Sigil II now back to back as well.

After a couple of years, I finally managed to beat Pyramid of death Saveless, uvmaxed to boot. Personally, at some point consider it was a skill benchmark I wanted to break, and now that I can exit the map with mild problems, I feel like somehow, the bar was raised by a long shot, let's see if in the future i actually take seriously playing very difficult stuff. 

image.png.ef3592872219a1d1f0b305c52b59d249.png

About the map itself, its mostly waiting for like 865 monster to kill themselves, specially the cyberdemons on the courtyards, and its mostly luck if they end quickly or not. Despite that, there are some punishing traps that if you are caught off guard can end your run right away, like the finality with the archviles on the pyramid, most of the map however is cleanup and concentration to not die, so as long as you don't do massive fuckups, you can survive fine. Stuart's midi truly makes this map feel more special than it actually is, really good stuff.

Eviternity 2, what a surprise. It's astounding it's free to play. Also my own maps, over and over and over and over again to iron out all the bugs.

Eviternity is mind-breaking me with its difficulty, currently.

NewGothic Movement 1 (practicing UV Max runs for my channel) and Scythe 2 (which i will practice UV Max runs for after). Also repeatedly practicing Rush Map12 to where its making me nauseous.. is this what its like for UV Maxers and Speedrunners, do you just repeatedly practice a map until it makes you sick and then get your successful run and go "I never want to see that freaking map ever again in my life?"

On 12/16/2023 at 9:40 AM, bowserknight said:

Has anyone ever felt like, "I should be able to beat this, but I just can't"?

all the time, my therapist says i'm deeply repressed and have shame issuesm

oh you're talking about doom, yeah thats how i feel whenever i do a successful practice run but just can't record a successful run lol.

I recently beat Double Impact: https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/16419-double-impact/

I have to agree with some of the reviews knocking E1M8. I'm not sure if I missed something, things weren't working right in GZDoom, or I just didn't find a very meaningful secret or two to have enough ammo take down a few remaining Cyberdemons. It was a headache.

But other than that and including E1M9, I really enjoyed this wad. I can see how some reviews knock on it not really feeling like E1, that's true. There are parts of maps that look like they remix a few ideas from the original game. But overall, this is a supersized E1 techbase aesthetic with hundreds of monsters per map on UV, Caco's included. The key hunts aren't the best either with a lot of backtracking sometimes... but overall I still had a great time with this wad. I'm just a sucker for atmospheric techbases I guess. The challenge was pretty high too which is nice when going back to Doom 1 stuff. Some evil traps throughout, but ammo management was the tough part. You definitely felt the benefit of a secret or two going a long way.

For 2011, I think it holds up pretty well. I'd have to double check some Ultimate/E1 wads I've played to see where it ranks, but yeah cool stuff.

On the flip side, I've been replaying Alien Vendetta and am just about done with it. Ohhhhh it hurts, for years and years I was still ranking this as my #1 megawad. But I don't think I can say that anymore. UV/PS has been pretty brutal and in the slaughterfest set of final maps, I just started doing continuous saves. But these maps give you everything immediately anyways. There's still some great maps and for 2001 I don't think it's dated or anything. Maybe my tastes have just changed. It has been at least 10+ years since I last played it and so many wads have come out since as we all know... the bar has gotten a lot higher. I still go back to the original games and Plutonia, even have a weird soft spot for TNT... but damn, this second full run of Alien Vendetta could be the last for me. It's felt like a slog more than fun in a lot of ways. Painful and humorous to admit, guess I had a hunch...

Per my notes some maps I enjoyed a bit, but there were only a few slam dunks like MAP19.

MAP 08 = Beast Island, fun Unreal like map, big castle at the end
MAP 10 = TOXIC TOUCH, classic DN3D Plasma mysterious music

MAP 12 = Cool tech base

MAP 13 = Joke? Power fantasy? 600+ monsters tech base... ehh grew on me a little

MAP 14 = Overwhelming Odds. Slaughter tech base, fun
MAP 15 = Much easier but a bit boring, secret exit blue key
MAP 32 = Weird colored secret map, pretty cool

MAP 18 = power fantasy slaughter, okay
MAP 19 = BEST MAP!!? Very good. Would fit in Plutonia
MAP 20 = Misri Halek by Kim André Mald, infamous Pyramid. I still like it a lot

MAP 21 = item choked, small horror... kind of annoying though
MAP 22 = Okay, another smaller one but still choked on items

MAP 23 = Okay, castle with Plasma secret that helped

MAP 26 = Cool slaughter map, stuck on yellow skull key trigger?

26 minutes ago, Xeogred said:

On the flip side, I've been replaying Alien Vendetta and am just about done with it. Ohhhhh it hurts, for years and years I was still ranking this as my #1 megawad. But I don't think I can say that anymore

I’m doing my second playthrough of AV. I have no nostalgia for it, since my first time around was in 2022, but I really do like it… until MAP27, which where I’m at now. I somehow enjoy the excess of Demonic Hordes and Dark Dome (despite some stupid ”cyberdemon in your face, in a narrow place”-encounters), but the mere thought wading through Stench of Evil again is exhausting, and I don’t remember liking MAP28 (can’t remember its name) that much more.

20 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

I’m doing my second playthrough of AV. I have no nostalgia for it, since my first time around was in 2022, but I really do like it… until MAP27, which where I’m at now. I somehow enjoy the excess of Demonic Hordes and Dark Dome (despite some stupid ”cyberdemon in your face, in a narrow place”-encounters), but the mere thought wading through Stench of Evil again is exhausting, and I don’t remember liking MAP28 (can’t remember its name) that much more.

I'm at the castle in Map 27 and saved there. Rarely do I want to save and drop out mid map but that's what the final stretch of AV has done to me. lol, exhausting and a bit boring at this point. I want to say I recall 28-29 being smaller and easier though. But dang, I'd say overall I kind of forgot a lot more about AV than I expected. I have to remind myself that a Cyber here and there with the BFG isn't the biggest issue, but then you get combos of three of them, more and more in the map, feels like a chore. I may just be having a stronger preference for short-mid sized maps more and more over the years.

Playing some more Doom 1 wads in between has been a nice palate cleanser. Think I'll just do more of that tonight with Nihility121, cool E2 replacement.

200 Line Christmas: Snowy Slaughter (RC1.1) - The SLOTTER Team

Im suffering trough Hideous Destructor right now, kinda stuck at E2M2. I posted some videos on youtube of my gameplay. Cause im winning entire Doom 1 with it and now im recording to have an proof

Beat some more wads this week:

- Nihility - https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Nihility:_Infinite_Teeth

[UV/PS,~2h50m]
Years

An E2 replacement. I won't say I loved it but it'll leave a strong mark in a cool way. Lots of personality and unique level design. M8-M9 aren't really boss or gimmick levels but rather more cool larger levels like the rest. Difficulty was pretty solid with several monsters replaced, the Lost Souls being annoying now able to shoot projectiles. The sound effects and some gun graphics are changed, the pistol is better with perfect accuracy now, etc, with the "music" mostly being simple dark ambience. Worked for me. Definitely not a vanilla vibe all around but it does do an interesting take on E2's Hell infested techbases. Gritty stuff.

Felt a little choked on items in E2M7 for one of the key hunts in floor damaging area. The level design of this wad is fairly open though, so I was able to go through some other routes and ammo up a bit, but that part still felt a little unfair. But I guess an E2M7 should rightfully be tough. Was definitely some challenging starts doing Pistol Start.

On the level design again, it was interesting how most maps have a large amount of secret areas. Up to 10 or more even on some maps. Was doable to find a lot of them throughout and helped a lot with the levels. Often though you can reach the exit of a map and still see non-secret areas to explore. Seemed like the author had adventure/exploration in mind. It was fun to try and see the whole map, even though you could run through to the exit and miss stuff at times.

- UAC Ultra - https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/uacultra

[UV/PS,~2h14m]
Jamie Bainbridge (Super Jamie) and Jon Vail (40oz)

Excellent 11-12 map megawad. Nice dark/atmospheric aesthetic with music from some Origin/EA "Abuse" game, kind of like  atmospheric Quake. Maps are compact mid sized with clever level design and traps. So difficulty wasn't too high but there were definitely some tricky mobs and level traps at points. One of the coolest Icon of Sin variants out there. The radiation gimmick (damaging floors in some "outdoor" environments") was interesting and utilized finally a bit in oen of the later maps that felt like a fun rush.

I think Back to Saturn X fans would really enjoy this one. Similar aesthetic/vibes to me.

40oz has done a lot since 2010, anyone know if they've done other stuff in the vein of UAC Ultra?