Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

What are you playing now?

Posted (edited)

Dishonored Remastered on Xbox One. I've never played it before but it seems alright so far. I've been going for a high chaos run (or w/e its called) since it seems easier than a stealth run. That way i can explore the levels and find all of the books/lore that the levels offer.

Also for Doom, i played & finished Final Doom: TNT: Evilution on my OG Xbox One via the Unity Port a few weeks ago on UV Difficulty. It was quite hard on UV with a controller tbh but i actually liked certain maps yet i really hated others. I think it gets too much hate tbh. It is a fairly early map set, being completed in November of '95, that is unless id Software had any say in the levels afterwards since it wasn't released until June of '96. I found the Slime Trail that is in one of the maps (forgot which one now). I really hated maps around like, 20 and 21 or so (the Drake O'Brien maps ; sorry Drake). Then i started liking the maps again after. I really love the music though, especially "Smells Like Burning Corpse", even though it is overly loud. 

My favorite maps are the early ones and the later ones, as well as the ones done by the Casali brothers.

Back on my bullshit and playing the pain that is Escape From Tarkov. The latest patch reworked armor and recoil and also added vaulting and shoulder-swapping. It's apparently very good but I've been burned by this game too many times over the last 6 years and I'm rather pessimistic about the cheating problem.

Also the servers are so overloaded you have to sit in a matching screen for who knows how long every time you queue.

Eviternity II obvs. 😊

Before that, I was playing Struggle: Antaresian Legacy for ages.

I only play one at a time. Next will be Sigil 2 seeing that's out too.

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2024 at 4:41 PM, Andromeda said:

Well there's the first episode of UAC Ultra 2:
https://odamex.net/boards/index.php?topic=2246.0

Thanks for that. I'll give it a look!

On 1/1/2024 at 7:09 AM, CyberDreams said:

Also for Doom, i played & finished Final Doom: TNT: Evilution on my OG Xbox One via the Unity Port a few weeks ago on UV Difficulty. It was quite hard on UV with a controller tbh but i actually liked certain maps yet i really hated others. I think it gets too much hate tbh. It is a fairly early map set, being completed in November of '95, that is unless id Software had any say in the levels afterwards since it wasn't released until June of '96. I found the Slime Trail that is in one of the maps (forgot which one now). I really hated maps around like, 20 and 21 or so (the Drake O'Brien maps ; sorry Drake). Then i started liking the maps again after. I really love the music though, especially "Smells Like Burning Corpse", even though it is overly loud. 

My favorite maps are the early ones and the later ones, as well as the ones done by the Casali brothers.

Sums up TNT I'd say, major highs and lows haha. I still have an odd soft spot for it even over Plutonia in ways. But finally completing a UV/PS run of Plutonia a few years ago made me appreciate it a lot more. I still haven't felt compelled to do that with TNT though. But yeah I'm a fan despite its warts.

For me I'm finally going through Going Down, blind on UV. So it's been pretty sweaty on some maps and tough in spots, yet always feels pretty fair after a little trial and run. I'm up to map 17. No doubt this wad is oozing with personality and a unique style from start to finish. If anything the music might give me the most anxiety haha, seems intentional with how frantic and goofy some of it is. But yeah I see the hype... this is definitely a really cool megawad and breath of fresh air.

Also played a few maps of Oops All Tech Bases, because I'm a sucker for them. I love how it actually kind of has a Doom 1 vibe aesthetically but with the full Doom 2 roster of course. Seems pretty solid so far.

Posted (edited)

Eviternity 2, still.  I'm on Map 36 and I'm waiting for the opportunity to block off a big chunk of time and do it all in one sitting.

Chipping away at Baldur's Gate 3 and Yakuza 3, and thinking about practicing some more Ketsui.

Tower of WAR

Rather charming in an old-timey sense. Lots of symmetry and simple geometries. Far removed from the modern sensibilites of map-making; but that makes works like these stand out a little more today, for better or worse. MAP04 was far more fun than I would have expected a small map that's basically nothing but office cubicles to be. I'm not that far in and apparently it gets more interesting and complex later on.

Went through random stuff in the past few months.

Played some more of Absolute Dishonor after flunking out of the Ironman.  Map 5 is particularly more enjoyable with Touhou Doom weapons and enemies.  There's one particularly nasty fight under vanilla conditions but Touhou Doom add-ons gave me have a spellcard to delete that encounter.

Blew through Pirate Doom again.  Last time I played it was over 5 years ago on a different system.  Being able to hear all the sounds this time was welcome as some sound effects went silent when I first played it (silent gatling gun feels weird)

And some Cacoward winners.  On the last map of AAA; the last map has currently overwhelmed me.  Finished Godless Night on normal.  Intense but winnable though I admit to using a gameplay mod to stack the odds in my favor.  Will go through it again sometime due to silliness like not picking up an SSG for a long time and not finding one of the optional weapons until after every enemy had been killed.  Was able to 100% all but one map after spending some effort into finding the secrets.

I've gotten through DBK03 now.  Full of personality with map 4 being the standout for a novel scenario.  Could have handled the custom boss a lot better as I mainly brute forced it.

Most of the way through Jamal Jones Episode 1 right now.  Playing it immediately after finishing Eviternity 2 is like watching a John Wick/Toxic Avenger double feature, and it's awesome.

I'm thinking about having a go at Scythe 1 and 2 to continue my classical education, but I've watched a lot of MtPain and he's really put the fear of Alm into me...

I'm playing Nostalgia since I kept seeing it mentioned lately and the concept sounded awesome to me. I think I always will be someone who favors vanilla textures and all.

So far it's been amazing with just the right difficulty for me on a blind PS/UV run. But now I'm at the city levels and have to say, I'm blown away. The DoomCute is through the rough and going through these detailed levels even with mostly vanilla textures and assets, it feels like the Build Engine in such a cool way. The levels are oozing with personality and detail. One level goes down into a tram station and was awesome. None of these city levels are the big weird open/surreal ones like in Doom 2 itself or other "city" levels in wads. The rest of the maps have been top notch so far but I'm really loving how this city episode here feels like a continuous adventure and the maps string together nicely. Can't wait to see the rest of this wad and now I'm stoked to see what Nostalgia II is like.

I also beat Oops All Tech Bases recently. Overall I liked it a fair bit but the level design quality and difficulty is a bit all over. I think it was map 24 and 29 that had kind of ridiculous levels of verticality with huge open spaces and chaingunners/enemies littered everywhere above. Kind of a nuisance. But it was a good time for the most part and I loved the use of Doom 1 midis in bigger Doom 2 styled tech bases. The Icon of Sin fight was creative in a good way as well. I've always loved E1 and tech bases in general, even in Quake and other games, etc, so enjoying a whole 32 megawad of that aesthetic... yeah I can play tech bases forever haha.

Replaying Valkiriforce's Doom Core trilogy (77 levels, whoa), and the first entry is a lot better than I remembered it to be.

Also, decided to give Brutal Wolfenstein a whirl. I really like the new weapons and treasure mechanics.

The Ultimate Doom, Doom II and The Plutonia Experiment - guess I'm in a classic mood.

Plus, it's nice to revisit the original games after Doom's 30th anniversary.

On 1/29/2024 at 12:22 AM, Firedust said:

Replaying Valkiriforce's Doom Core trilogy (77 levels, whoa), and the first entry is a lot better than I remembered it to be.

77 levels? I thought Doom Core had 32 levels that I completed playing many years ago. So what are the other levels? Any link you have so I can play them?

On 1/30/2024 at 9:51 PM, valkiriforce said:

The Ultimate Doom, Doom II and The Plutonia Experiment - guess I'm in a classic mood.

Plus, it's nice to revisit the original games after Doom's 30th anniversary.

I never get bored playing the originals!!

Now playing one of the horror mapset Unloved. Very interesting levels, kinda thrilling adventure. It's so good to solving the mysteries and fighting the many difficulties of the maps. 

Died few times though but I'm enjoying it, as I like playing horror maps and mods.

1 hour ago, Yousuf Anik said:

77 levels? I thought Doom Core had 32 levels that I completed playing many years ago. So what are the other levels? Any link you have so I can play them?

I never get bored playing the originals!!

Doom Core TRILOGY. Consists of Doom Core, Reverie, and Eternally Yours.

1 hour ago, Firedust said:

Doom Core TRILOGY. Consists of Doom Core, Reverie, and Eternally Yours.

Oh I see. So I missed Riverie then and thought that only the Doom Core has other parts.

16 hours ago, Yousuf Anik said:

Any link you have so I can play them?

The trilogy version can be found right here - mind you, this works for ZDOOM/GZDOOM specifically.

Ranking wads I've played 2023-2024:

PRCP2 - really fun designed maps that inspires you.

Tetanus - inspiring, interesting difficulty and ideas, brutally punishing, and a nice vibe.

Pagodia - Same as Tetanus but it's a bit easier since some  Squonker arena fights aren't that too wild back then i think.

Lunatic - cool moonbase themed and impressive but slaughtery gameplay. But still had a good 5 map playthrough.

Scythe 2 - I liked the dehacked enemy ideas, till reaching on the earth episode which had some really painful slaughterfest situations ugh.

Scythe - nice Doom 2 experience with progressive difficulty .

Plutonia Experiment - This difficulty style ranges from fun to very annoying.

Alien Vendetta - Map 25 was a complete banger and is my only favorite slaughter map.

BTSX1 - visuals over gameplay, some fights can be cheesed some are just really annoying. Great music though.

Whispers of Satan - as someone on the review said "whispers of ctrl V" definitely this is the most symmetrical level design I've ever played in a video game of my life. For EVERY section or sectors you encounter I swear there's always a mirrored version next to it. At least the gameplay was fine, easy but fun.

Vengeance - nice mapset for Doom 1 but some of the early tech maps are very strange and uncanny looking.

Sunlust - first ever megawad I've played. Played it on HMP since it gets slaughtery pretty quick. Reached on the womb map where you fight archviles and you have no clue what to do till I gave up. The map called "Strength and Anger" was a bit hard though, the rest are usually chill on HMP.

Speed of Doom - I was expecting run n gun gameplay but I was forced to go through a tight ahh room with archviles and a cybie instead.

Hell Revealed - the early maps we're fun till I'm forced to shotgun barons all day.

Sunder - The fight on map02 with a cybie, archviles and shit ton of other crap thrown on you. Can't figure anything out so I just gave up lol.

New Gothic 1 - long crazy slaughterfest that tests your ultimate Doom reflexes to your absolute limits. This wad really likes to put archviles in every damn situation you're in. I prefer playing go 2 it than this. As someone who have said "beginner slaughter" I felt like being scammed cuz this sloghterfest has some of the craziest fights I've ever encountered while playing an fps bullet dodging game. Ngl I could imagine the fights are much crazier than Sunlust or Sunder.

Edited by GreenAnime

I've been hopping around wads pretty aimlessly these days. Tonight I played a little more of Sunlust, plonked around Time of Mapping and Eternal Slumber Party, and explored Hardfest 2 Map02, which is very obviously Dashlet working out some more of those Liminal Doom themes.

Dashlet's output lately has been very cool, even if it's beyond my ability right now. Everyone should go check out the Dashlet's Box of Maps series. They're little boxes of chocolates. I'm sure The Esoteric Formula is great for its target audience, too, but I haven't dug into it yet.

Needless to say, the way I'm playing doesn't amount to a program of improvement, but it's fun to play hard wads to unwind after work. Learning to beat a fight that killed you instantly the first time is the kind of extreme trial, error, and adjustment that you can't get in real life.

Posted (edited)

Doom Zero (done) and Hell Revealed.

Geez HR gets crazy after MAP16 or so, actually thanks for @Meowgi's video on glides I watched months ago I successfully did my first one IN GAME on MAP17 to end the level before getting the yellow key. I feel dirty now but hey.. fun stuff!

Holy shit, did it again twice on Atonement MAP14, the second time went smooth like butter, took me one second! Awesome dirty stuff.

Edited by CacoKnight

Posted (edited)

Finished 10x10 in HMP, pistol start, saveless.

Playing this from my backloggd made me feel more satisfied than possibly just finishing it for the megawad club in february. Out of nowhere, in a single night I finished like 6 maps without much problem, it wasn't until zzul method and cocoa puffs breath that I had a problem.

What an adrenaline rush of a wad, some of the most entertaining ambushes I played in a while, perfectly choreographed and satisfying to play, despite thinking most of the incidental stuff in the wad feels fillerish, that doesn't dimmish at all how masterful the combat is here.

Obviously is a monumental achievement this was made with just doom 2 textures and limited to 10 flats/textures per map, it truly deserves it's "diet sunder" tag with ist monumental architecture, orthogonality and abstract madness.

Maybe another day I will get motivated to complete this in UV as well, for now I'm interested in maybe actually finishing speed of doom, or perhaps replay crumpets in UV, who knows

image.png.499d1b2ee9c1ce9d52a168bd9606c28a.png

Edited by Cutman 999