Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oh sorry, the SW1QSTAR and SW2QSTAR don't actually exist yet, but if you did a find/replace in doom builder (replaced qstar3 with sw1qstar and replaced qstar4 with sw2qstar) and then posted the updated maps, I'll add them to the beta and add the sw1qstar textures as well. They'd be replicas of the qstar textures, but they should animate this time.

Oh ok cool, no worries about qlava then. The "warping" feature is in an ANIMDEFS lump (I think) in q1tex, but it's not in the sf2011 texture wad.

TimeOfDeath said:

Oh sorry, the SW1QSTAR and SW2QSTAR don't actually exist yet, but if you did a find/replace in doom builder (replaced qstar3 with sw1qstar and replaced qstar4 with sw2qstar) and then posted the updated maps, I'll add them to the beta and add the sw1qstar textures as well. They'd be replicas of the qstar textures, but they should animate this time.

Be sure to add them to the SWITCHES lump somehow, swapping arbitrary SW1 with corresponding SW2 on use is advanced ports feature (although even Doomsday has it).

Music list:

Metsu: TNT.wad map 6
Ginnipiggu: Plutonia.wad map 21
True violence: Plutonia.wad map 02
Satsui no hado: Music from descent (d cent06)
Ultra: Music from descent (d cent09)

Is that specific enough? :)

Satsui no hado had a wacky error where the STONE8 texture were replaced by the STONE8D3 texture. Just a reminder since you havn't reported it fixed.

I'm free to help you guys out now. It's been alot going on with my final exam and my GF's been to town to visit me for 2 weeks. But now it's back to the normal dooming life hehe.

SLAUGHTERFEST 2011 v2 - SF2011v2.zip

- QSTAR now animates on map04 and 05.
- dehacked wads included for map28, 29, and 30 (default caco corpse is used for map30 dehacked wad)
- a fast-weapons bex file was included in the zip for fun (bex file also replaces chainsaw with bfg).

GoS - I couldn't download the Statusbar A stuff from the link. Did it upload ok?

danne - sorry about the stone8 mix-up, that was my fault. I included the fix when I said no more missing textures/flats. :)

TEXT FILE INFORMATION
- Does anyone want to add a description for each of their maps to add to the text file? DoomHero, is it ok if I start making a text file?

dannebubinga is how it should be spelled, yes. :)

The stone8 texture works now and the statusbar works to if you put .wad in the end of the file. The status bar is really sweet GoS! Great job.

I included .txt files in the zip with all my maps. They aren't to specific though, just my email adress and music/texture info. As long as we are specific to state who made what map and put the email adresses in the .txt, I'm satisfied.

Also. The .txt could really use a few lines in the opening to describe the wad as a whole, so people know what to expect. I mean that there is no difficulty curve etc. blah, I guess you already thought about this :P

- a fast-weapons bex file was included in the zip for fun (bex file also replaces chainsaw with bfg).

I would strongly advise against that. You just know some people are going to skip the text file and assume any separate file must be run with the main file by default, especially if it's the only .bex file around.

Plus, including it in the main zip makes it look like it's endorsed. Sorry to be a pain in the ass about it, but I'm really not comfortable with my maps bundled with something that changes the behavior so massively.

Anyway. Thanks for taking the time to compile all of this.

Maybe release the .bex separately for people want to get into slaughtermaps but can't deal with the difficulty of the later maps. I wanted the .bex included so that more people would enjoy the map pack, but I see your point Phml.

GoS
- oh ok, I tried renaming it to zip but not wad, oops.
- in SF2011v2, the original qstar switches started working on map04 and 05 for some reason. If your new version just changes qstar textures, is it ok if I leave your maps alone, but change the order and music for SF2011v3? I don't think the switches on map07 or 32 will ever animate unless the line actions are set to "switch trigger" and every platform is given it's own tag.
- What about something like "map number, author, music, textures, comments"? I can format the text properly for the text file later.

danne-B-ubinga
- I'm sorry about that, this whole time I thought your name was danne-D-ubinga. I'm a dumbass. :(
- yes, the txt file in SF2011v2 is just temporary one to give credits. The final one will be a proper /idgames txt file.

Phml
- for the final zip, I was going to put the bex file, the dehacked wads, and the demos into another zip in the main zip called "extras", like you suggested earlier. Is that cool?

btw I'd like to see the words "Authors MAY use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse" in the textfile. I always give permission to edit my wads.

ToD: can you make a different -fastweapons bex. That one is a bit too fast IMO, it completely negates the challenge of the maps. I'd rather see one that decreases the difficulty just enough so that people who don't normally play these style maps can have a challenge without getting frustrated.

TimeOfDeath said:
danne-B-ubinga
- I'm sorry about that, this whole time I thought your name was danne-D-ubinga. I'm a dumbass. :(

Hahaha. It's ok :)

for the final zip, I was going to put the bex file, the dehacked wads, and the demos into another zip in the main zip called "extras", like you suggested earlier. Is that cool?

I can settle with that. I'm not very keen on the whole idea, but that solution is good enough middle ground. ;)

-

I'd be interested in seeing whatever interpic Grain of Salt can come up with. We could always vote for which one to use in the final wad.

DoomHero - sure, I'll make the bex weapons slower for v3. Even with the fast weapons, I almost died last night on map07. :)

GoS - so GoodGriefOriginal will be map03 and GoodGriefRemix will be map07?

Maybe we could use both of Spazztik's and GoS's pics? One for title, one for inter?

Phml - ok thx. We could even password-protect the "extras" zip file and post the password in the txt file, just to make sure people read it. :)

Phml - ok thx. We could even password-protect the "extras" zip file and post the password in the txt file, just to make sure people read it. :)

LOL. Now that's an idea I like. Childish I know, but the idea of someone skipping the text file and getting password blocked just makes me chuckle.

In all seriousness, we'd probably get flamed to hell and back for doing something like that (on top of the shit we're already likely to get for "omg revenants chaingunners archviles nodetail wtf"). Your idea of putting everything in an "extras" subfolder is good enough, it doesn't get any more descriptive than that.

TimeOfDeath said:
- in SF2011v2, the original qstar switches started working on map04 and 05 for some reason.

The reason is that someone added QSTAR* to SWITCHES lump.

SLAUGHTERFEST 2011 v3 - SF2011v3.zip

- GoS's map order changed and status bar added
- "extras" folder added to the zip that contains two bex files and 3 dehacked wads
- currently working on the final txt file

To-Do:
- gather all demos and edit the correct map number in each demo with a hex editor
- final interpic and titlepic?
- finish final txt file

DoomHero - I used whacked. For speeding up the weapons, I went to the "states" tab and changed all the durations of states 2-89 (the weapon states). For the "fastest" bex file, I changed the duration for those states to 1 (if they were originally above 1). For the "faster" bex file, I changed the duration for those states to half of the original number, if the original duration was 2 or higher (if it was an odd number, I made it half minus 0.5, so 5 would be 2, etc).

tempun - I could swear that I did add qstar to the switches lump but the switches didn't work (I added qstar when I added all the other animated flats/textures, then ran the batch file). I tried several times to get them working but couldn't until I added another switch to the switches lump after qstar. Unless I'm crazy. (?)

I don't know map 30 music source, you'll have to ask TrueDude.

TimeOfDeath said:

To-Do:
- gather all demos and edit the correct map number in each demo with a hex editor
- final interpic and titlepic?
- finish final txt file

I'm sure few maps will require gameplay tweaks as well.

Well, good news are that only few maps do require changes imo. Bad news are that they will mostly have to be major. I've already covered pretty much everything for map 14 above sooooo

map 15 - Plays whole very "meh" and is imbalanced. I'm sure if tod (or... ehhh who am I kidding... anyone else than odd-o guy) placed monsters and other junk in the very same layout, it would be a great map, but as it is now I see it as filler, or rather a skipper map.

map 31 - Well, I honestly thought that map 15 is the worst of the bunch. Hell no! This map tops it by miles. The amount of gameplay related fixes this map would require just makes me nauseous. I would probably just delete every thing and use the layout for a pink BFG spam, but damn that would take quite a very good while to do.

DH's maps (16-19) - Heh, DH has quite a talent to create rape maps. I think that beating some of DD's maps require a lot less luck than trying to do the same with DH's in current state. I haven't really tried to beat them all that much, but I'm sure I can say that anybody maxing all those maps as they are now deserves an award. Requires some tweaking to make them actually beatable, although it shouldn't be all that much additional work as they are all rather short.

map 2 - I noticed caco got stuck somehow when I tried this. He was just floating at one spot outside of reach. I couldn't reproduce this, but I haven't tried all that much tbh.

I think that's about it, rest of maps are fine. I recall that some of gmork's maps were rape, although he came up with changed versions afterwards iirc. I haven't tried those in beta yet. Awww cmon someone unban him already. :(

j4rio's post pretty much sums up what I think about the gameplay in those maps as well. Since those who made map 15 and 31 isn't active in the thread, should we PM them or just change stuff around and "ask" later? :P

Anyway, this image shows the interpic I made. I went the AV/Kama Sutra route, and just took a screenshot of what I consider one of the most memorable places in the megawad. I'm not that fond of this result, but my spare time has now evaporated, so it's all I can offer. Download here if you want. I'm going to have to bow out of the project now, so good luck everyone. Take care.

I really like that picture. Which might elicit some "heh, of course, it's your own map", but seriously, you've picked such a great angle, a fitting perspective with that gate leading to the indistinct next level, with torches on the side fading far away into the horizon, it feels like you built the scene for that purpose.

Thanks for all your work on this, the whole project. You've been a driving force behind this thing for the last few months, and it's been enjoyable bouncing ideas and exchanging feedback.

... Starting to sound like an eulogy, but well.

As for map31, I feel like maybe eventually considering the option of having a go at it. Perhaps. Going from the loose concept of one big ass tower in the middle of huge open area and running with it, anyway.

TimeOfDeath said:

Aw. I thought playtesting was 50% of being a mapper. :(

I'd say it's a lot more than 50%.

Throwing down a bunch of linedefs is trivial. These days even making a load of fancy-looking architecture is almost trivial with modern editors that do all the boring stuff for you. But making a map that is bug-free and actually plays well still takes hours and hours of playtesting, tweaking and in my opinion a not inconsiderable amount of luck.

Heh, my work on map 30 is hardly worth considering me as one of authors. And I heartedly admit that I feel it plays awkward but my goal was just to make it playable. I can't stand that map anymore so if anyone feels like making that map better, go ahead. :)
Awesome pic btw!

Oh, and good luck phml. :P