Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

fiend-o-hell said:

@Snakes: those wood textures in the back are eventually gonna be replaced with a sea of blood and a horizon. I was thinking in that context, with nothing but marb and green brick, the tech pillar looses it "techy" quality and would standout nicely in the foreground against the backdrop of the sea since there so tall.

You bring up a valid point though. I'll re-evaluate everything once I near its finished state.

I agree with Snakes, but I also disagree :P
I mean, I see his point...some out-of-place tech pillars in a hellish/ancient looking map, but at the same time I think they fit in very well...aestethic-wise.

Maybe make some pillars out of sectors instead of sprites, and use a fitting texture?

Another idea, if you go with the sector-thing, is that it might be cool with some torches on top, buuut even cooler: make a hole at the top of the pillars and place flaming barrels in there, so only the flames are visible. It makes for cool looking flaming pillars =)

Played around with your suggestions darkreaver and came up with this:

I think it quite an improvement if I do say so myself! Had a tough time aligning those burning barrels the right way though. They seem to have some kind of offset issue going on. Ultimately I ended up re-sizing my entire column prefab. I have never noticed this issue before.

I'd love to playtest the first 3 maps. Any chance of uploading them to another site now that the feds have seized the Megaupload domain?

PrBoom+ is preferable, I feel. Most people will most likely run on that port these days.

To change the complevel, you have to use a command line.

-file [yourwadhere] -complevel 2

The reason for this is that the project is limit-removing as opposed to Boom-compatible, causing some behavior changes, among other things. It just prevents confusion from developing later on.

Just use "Doom 2" settings in whatever editor you're using. Limit-removing is literally removing certain limits from the engine - visplanes, things, etc.

Is it possible to send in a map that is formatted for ZDoom(UDMF) format...it really just depends on what source port your aiming for. But I might have a submission already set and ready to go.

No, most limit-removing ports don't support UDMF, which wasn't in vanilla doom anyways. "Limit-removing" really just means vanilla doom with size and detail limits removed, and without any port features.

Although if you could convert your map to limit-removing vanilla format it would be a welcome addition to the project, provided it contains only stock Doom 2 textures, which is what we're working with.

Some screenshots from my map. its about 50 to 60% done and it is called warehouse district and should be in any slot between map12 and map19

And yes i took the shots while using TNT (is that a problem?)

Any thing in these screenshots are subject to change

Looks pretty interesting. Be careful, TNT has some textures that aren't in Doom2.

Processingcontrol said:

Looks pretty interesting. Be careful, TNT has some textures that aren't in Doom2.

Im testing with the TNT iwad because prboom+ doesnt like my doom2 wad

EDIT: got doom2 mixed up with doom1 prboom doesnt like that

@sgt dopey: that is some decent work. I'm Especially liking the multi-shaped structure from the first screenshot. Layout looks like it won't to shabby either.

sgt dopey said:

The wooden crate is a TNT texture. Other than, from what I can see, it looks like Doom 2 stock. Decent shots. The first one feels sort of reminiscent of House of Thorn (MM Map17, IIRC) for whatever reason. Not a bad impression to get.

sgt dopey said:

You might want to bring this up to Andrey or tell us exactly why prboom+ doesn't like an Iwad. Hopefully when you test you are using -complevel 2 instead of 4.

sgt dopey said:

It wont show up at all in the iwad selection menu in the launcher

Be specific please. What launcher are you using and how do you have it set up? Are you positive that the iwad hasn't been altered in any way shape or form. Maybe try a different launcher?

Good luck man hope to hear from you.

Im using the standard prboom+ launcher and I think I may have altered it dont know what though.

EDIT: Also my map was made with a UV pistol start in mind

EDIT2: I also made mapinfo lumps for zdoom skulltag and eternity

Hey everyone. Long time, no see. I am currently working on a revision of my map, based on Snakes' suggestions. Stay tuned for the new version!

hello to all, since i (kinda) finished a map from another project, but i will sure to do chop together the macro11 stuff and make a map with it...