Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Doom 64 for Doom II

Welp I've gone and done it. I've made something that I've always wanted to play on. Check out MAP33 if you would, oh and I'm doing some tweaking for the maps with the void style skies and stuff, so you're going to see the signature Doom 64 cyan fog on those maps. I also made some more small fixes, added some more skies, tweaked the monster spawns on MAP14 to match Doom 64, and I'm sure a couple other things that I already forgot.

Download latest version of D64D2 (dated 6-13-2015)

I just noticed the fade effect on those maps looks completely horrid in ZDoom. It won't even show up in vanilla since it can't read MAPINFO though. It might just be my version but it looks really bad and more green than it does cyan. It looks great in GZDoom however.

Once we have all the maps in and everything, I'll probably create another version of the completed WAD for use in vanilla/ZDoom without the bells and whistles.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Nevander said:

I just noticed the fade effect on those maps looks completely horrid in ZDoom. It won't even show up in vanilla since it can't read MAPINFO though. It might just be my version but it looks really bad and more green than it does cyan. It looks great in GZDoom however.

Once we have all the maps in and everything, I'll probably create another version of the completed WAD for use in vanilla/ZDoom without the bells and whistles.

The project is for vanilla in the first place. You're also missing a lot, and many maps are incorrectly ordered or are old versions. The Absolution and The Lair were completely redone a long time ago in particular.

Fisk said:

The project is for vanilla in the first place. You're also missing a lot, and many maps are incorrectly ordered or are old versions. The Absolution and The Lair were completely redone a long time ago in particular.

I know the original point was for vanilla, but in all honesty, who still wants to play in vanilla? I use Chocolate Doom every once in a while but it can't compare to GZDoom.

The stuff I'm missing is missing because the links that were there are now dead and the original authors haven't re-uploaded the files. Many maps are "old versions" because these are the only versions I could find. That's better than missing the map entirely.

I don't know who else would be wanting to finish this project for serious, so I guess I'm taking the reigns. I'm trying to get everything together so that we have a working combined levelset instead of 20+ individual WAD files scattered around. The maps are "incorrectly ordered" on purpose. I re-ordered them to match Doom 64's order which makes the most sense to me.

The version of The Absolution I found may have been older and nonfunctional, but this was the only version I could find on the thread. I re-worked the map because I don't know who else would be doing it. I'm also re-working The Lair currently. If these two maps were "completely redone" a long time ago, where are they? I don't see them anywhere except for your mention.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Nevander said:

I know the original point was for vanilla, but in all honesty, who still wants to play in vanilla? I use Chocolate Doom every once in a while but it can't compare to GZDoom.

I hate to be blunt, but pandering to your opinion isn't one of my personal bullet points to hit as a mapper for the project. A lot of people still enjoy vanilla Doom, myself included, and I like making vanilla maps.

I don't know who else would be wanting to finish this project for serious, so I guess I'm taking the reigns.

No. That's not how this works. You don't "take over" peoples' projects with no consent from any of the contributors. I'm sorry the project is taking longer than you'd like, but that doesn't give you the right to "take over" our content.

I'm trying to get everything together so that we have a working combined levelset instead of 20+ individual WAD files scattered around. The maps are "incorrectly ordered" on purpose. I re-ordered them to match Doom 64's order which makes the most sense to me.

Well, that's a shame. It's a vanilla project. Vanilla doesn't do MAPINFO.

The version of The Absolution I found may have been older and nonfunctional, but this was the only version I could find on the thread. I re-worked the map because I don't know who else would be doing it. I'm also re-working The Lair currently. If these two maps were "completely redone" a long time ago, where are they? I don't see them anywhere except for your mention.

If you're going to hijack a project thread, please read it thoroughly first. My version of The Absolution and The Lair are definitely mentioned and discussed at least a little in here.

Well forgive me for trying to actually finish the project. I'll let you do everything from now on if that's how you want it.

Nevander said:

Well forgive me for trying to actually finish the project. I'll let you do everything from now on if that's how you want it.

That isn't the problem, the problem is that there is some projects that takes a long time to actually be ready for any kind of release, take BTSX for example, the original project thread was created in 2011 (but i believe the maps were already being made a long time before that) but it has screenshots of maps from E2 and E3 in there. E1 (beta) was released in 2012, E2 (beta) in 2014 and E3 (beta) is yet to be announced. Another good example is The Shores of ZDoom, also announced in 2011 but still has no release despite of still being in development.

A vanilla project means that it will probably run on every sourceport, and that is a good thing.

I believe this project is being delayed mostly because people lose interest, not because it requires a lot of work.

Still, turning a vanilla project into a GZDoom project is a bit too much.

It's for vanilla Doom.

Releasing a version which uses enhanced features for port xyz is a nice addon but not as important as having a "Doom64" interpretation finished and running in classic Doom.

Fisk said:

Well, that's a shame. It's a vanilla project. Vanilla doesn't do MAPINFO.

@Nevander can add all the features that he wishes such as shinny new effects that only works on certain ports, as long as the project is still fully compatible with Vanilla and doesn't cause problems on other ports. Still, we must focus on making a conversion of the highest possible quality for Vanilla.

If someone wants this conversion to be made exclusively for GZdoom, that person may instead play Doom64 EX.

BTW, if nobody wants to make the final map for the boss fight (or doesn't know an amazing way to do it under Vanilla), I can do it. Just give me the map and I'll do the mechanism that I talked about earlier.

axdoom1 said:

If someone wants this conversion to be made exclusively for GZdoom, that person may instead play Doom64 EX.

Yeah, this conversion is not for people that use GZdoom.

If you want that, go to the zdoom forums.

Your kind isn't welcome here.

frithiof said:

Yeah, this conversion is not for people that use GZdoom.

If you want that, go to the zdoom forums.

Your kind isn't welcome here.

What a load.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Nevander said:

If BaronOfStuff no longer has interest in leading the project, that's something for us to discuss and I'd be glad to step up. However, the project's inactivity is not a cue for you to take over other peoples' content. I don't see why you're taking it personally.

Hype:

I never intended to hijack the project. I was simply trying to get stuff together because it appeared as if the project was sort of "forgotten." Maybe it was still going on behind closed doors and that's fine, but I would have liked to see acknowledgement of this if it was the case. Just a simple post like "we are still working on this and it's not dead." Without a post like that, it made me want to make sure it didn't die. That meant that I was going to start putting together things myself to ensure that fact.

I also didn't mean to cause a flame with what I said about who still wants to play in vanilla. I have nothing against vanilla and I can see why people still want vanilla level mods, but again, I myself use GZDoom because I like being able to actually see things with clarity and mouselook and stuff. It has some nice features too like the fade effect I spoke of. Using that and making a void sky, you can actually make In the Void look like it really should, and this is how I want to play the levelset.

I know if I want it to be like Doom 64 I could just play Doom 64 EX. There's some kind of weird lag I get with D64EX though, and GZDoom is smooth as silk. It's just easier to play using GZDoom.

TL;DR: As long as the project is still alive (and will be finished) then I'm happy.

Also I did port over Eye of the Storm myself. I don't know if that map was actually done by anyone but I can upload it separately if it wasn't. Or someone else can just make it again if they want.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

more hype

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Da Werecat said:

You've decided to redo MAP01? Looks cool.

Death Egg's been absent for a while, so for now I'm tentatively bringing his MAP01 up to snuff with my other maps. No gameplay changes, just visuals.

Agree, Map01 looks like successful blend of both Doom "worlds"... maybe a little less sky to enhance the claustrophobia.

I'm really digging your shots fisk! In particular I love that Staging Area you've come up with.

If I weren't so busy, I would love to contribute a map or two to this project.

Nevander said:

Welp I've gone and done it. I've made something that I've always wanted to play on. Check out MAP33 if you would, oh and I'm doing some tweaking for the maps with the void style skies and stuff, so you're going to see the signature Doom 64 cyan fog on those maps. I also made some more small fixes, added some more skies, tweaked the monster spawns on MAP14 to match Doom 64, and I'm sure a couple other things that I already forgot.

Download latest version of D64D2 (dated 6-13-2015)

File's gone. Can someone please re-upload?

_bruce_ said:

Agree, Map01 looks like successful blend of both Doom "worlds"... maybe a little less sky to enhance the claustrophobia.

The sky on the sides doesn't make sense anyway... you would see the rest of the building through there.

I thought it was someone else.

Oh well, my version was an experiment more than anything. The project uses stock textures, and I don't want to retexture this thing.