Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Doom 64 for Doom II

Fisk said:

I've randomly come around and played the map. Disclaimer: I've only seen the respective Doom64's map's start, haven't played further to it. Your map looks pretty good, and mostly plays well too, and I liked it. Destroying multiple Hell Knights with just a shotgun got a little tedious. Also, not having a chaingun was uncomfortable when I ran out of all ammo except bullets later in the map. The megaarmor secret door was oddly triggered by a random Evil Eye decoration? Before I've found it, I'd managed to get the secret via a carefully timed strafejump from the raising lift nearby. :P I don't even know how the other secrets were triggered, but I've eventually found them. Megasphere wasn't tagged as secret at all.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
scifista42 said:

I've randomly come around and played the map. Disclaimer: I've only seen the respective Doom64's map's start, haven't played further to it. Your map looks pretty good, and mostly plays well too, and I liked it. Destroying multiple Hell Knights with just a shotgun got a little tedious. Also, not having a chaingun was uncomfortable when I ran out of all ammo except bullets later in the map. The megaarmor secret door was oddly triggered by a random Evil Eye decoration? Before I've found it, I'd managed to get the secret via a carefully timed strafejump from the raising lift nearby. :P I don't even know how the other secrets were triggered, but I've eventually found them. Megasphere wasn't tagged as secret at all.

I might add a chaingun or generally rebalance the map for pistol-starts if it fits in with the project; it's not something I gave much thought because it's supposed to be, well, not-standalone. :P The secrets being triggered by a green floaty-eye are, however, legitimately how those secrets are supposed to be triggered in the original Doom 64 IWAD; though I admit to it being obtuse, they're set up that way for "authenticity", which I guess seems like a moot point since the map is generally not at all authentic in any way except for layout. Same thing for the other secrets.

As for the Megasphere being secret or not... I debated hard about whether or not to mark it as secret. I guess in retrospect since its activation is rather obtuse all things considered, I'll mark it secret anyway.

Fisk said:

I might add a chaingun or generally rebalance the map for pistol-starts if it fits in with the project; it's not something I gave much thought because it's supposed to be, well, not-standalone. :P The secrets being triggered by a green floaty-eye are, however, legitimately how those secrets are supposed to be triggered in the original Doom 64 IWAD; though I admit to it being obtuse, they're set up that way for "authenticity", which I guess seems like a moot point since the map is generally not at all authentic in any way except for layout. Same thing for the other secrets.

All okay, I'm not even so familiar with the project guidelines, I admit.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Updated version of The Lair featuring a couple of minor bugfixes, an added secret that originally never triggered in v1, and a slight balance change. @BaronOfStuff: I've collected a WAD of everything I can find from this project, let me know if you want it in this thread or PMed to you.

I've been following this project for a while, and I love the idea and concept. I'm a big Doom 64 guy myself who just recently completed it finally with Doom 64 EX. Seeing the D64 maps in Doom PC style is pretty sweet, and the idea of playing them in Doom PC style is even sweeter.

I was wondering if there are any maps that haven't been taken or started yet. The last list I read on one of the earlier pages showed only about four or so maps that didn't have a name beside it. I'd like to help get this project finished if possible.

I'm new to DoomWorld but not new to Doom at all. I've made maps of my own and you can see some of my work here. I'd very much like to help, the only issue is that my maps are not vanilla compatible. Visplane crashes on them when running in Chocolate Doom. I'd hope I can avoid them with this project if I were to try a map, since I'd be following a guideline built for the older hardware already.

Also is there a link to a combined WAD of all the maps so far?

Are there people still working on this project? Else, we should archive the levels that were done into a .zip file so they are not lost forever.

I said this before, Doom 64 could've been the best Doom game if it wasn't hindered by the N64 controls (for me) and the absence of some monsters. If this thing is completed, my wish of playing doom 64 on PC type controls will be fulfilled.

P.S: IF you say that I can easily do this using an emulator, I tried it. I didn't work too well

Zulk-RS said:

I said this before, Doom 64 could've been the best Doom game if it wasn't hindered by the N64 controls (for me) and the absence of some monsters. If this thing is completed, my wish of playing doom 64 on PC type controls will be fulfilled.

P.S: IF you say that I can easily do this using an emulator, I tried it. I didn't work too well

Have you tried Doom 64ex?

I've archived most of the files that were posted on this thread. I couldn't get some of these files because the download links have expired. I'll sort the files and PM the authors of the missing ones to see if they can reupload them. A list of missing maps will be useful for people who want to continue this project.

I went through and downloaded what I could find here in this thread. I sorted and compiled them all into a single WAD file with some other things like a new MAPINFO so that the maps play exactly like Doom 64 does.

The maps I seem to be missing are: 02, 03, 06, 09-15, 17, 20, 21, 23, 24, 28, 29, 30.

It would be amazing if these missing maps were re-uploaded or made so that we can finally finish this project off. I already have a sort of texture pack I found/edited and a sprite replacement pack for Doom 64 stuff. All we need is the rest of the maps.

I have some files stored in an archive somewhere. I'll upload them and post a link when I'll have time. Maybe you will find some maps that you were not able to get on the thread.

Piper Maru said:

Will this be completed before Doom 4?

Probably not, unfortunately.

I'm currently going through the maps I've downloaded and cleaning up some stuff and trying to organize it into a megawad format. Getting a bunch of Doom 64 resources as well like the font, graphics, and more.

There's a mod floating around called Doom 64 WMI and another called Super Doom 64 that you can use to get the weapons/monsters/items/textures from Doom 64. Pretty soon I'll have a functioning true "Doom 64 IN Doom 2" mod going.

All that will be left is the missing maps, and the ones that are missing for good I may try to just make them myself.

If Baron doesn't want to deal with this thing anymore, I could try and finish it. I don't really feel like working on original material right now.

Here it is. A Doom64 mod with sprites from Doom64 and maps that I have archived from the thread. There may be some maps that @Nevander is missing. There's a wad file that compiles some of them in this archive. I think MAP11 is there. I'm not sure.

axdoom1 said:

Here it is. A Doom64 mod with sprites from Doom64 and maps that I have archived from the thread. There may be some maps that @Nevander is missing. There's a wad file that compiles some of them in this archive. I think MAP11 is there. I'm not sure.

Thanks lots for the upload.

I got two maps I was missing, and I don't know if I'm just missing something or what, but I can't beat them. On The Lair, nothing happens after I kill the Hell Knights and then on The Absolution nothing happens when I enter the boss area. These maps aren't finished?

Anyway, the maps we are missing completely are:

The Terraformer
Main Engineering
Alpha Quadrant
Even Simpler
The Bleeding
Terror Core
Altar of Pain
Dark Citadel
Eye of the Storm
Dark Entries
Watch Your Step
Breakdown
Pitfalls
Unholy Temple
No Escape
Outpost Omega

... so much for being nearly complete. Looks like we still have quite a bit of work to do.

By the way, that Doom 64 mod attempt of Requiem was pretty atrocious, no offense to the creators.

Right now in my compiled megawad I've replaced everything except weapons, monsters, and items. For right now, I'm going to keep those separate from the map pack. If people want to use that, that's up to them. I can always include those later, but they have some problems.

The guy who was making WMI stopped working on it because he thought Super Doom 64 was better, and I actually disagree, but whatever. The mod has some problems with missing monster frames, some strange lag with the SSG, Mother Demon for some reason will randomly replace Cyberdemon but other times not, and Demon Artifacts will sometimes replace Soulspheres and other times not. Really strange. I'd fix it myself but I don't know jack about DECORATE. You can get the pack here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k57D9q8WJ74

So we're looking at 16 missing maps that we need to either find or straight up remake. It seems like me, axdoom1, and Werecat are kinda taking the reigns. I LOVE Doom 64 and this project was killer when I first noticed it. It's a shame to see it going dead like this but I'm here to try and revive it. I'll never let this project truly die. I've got a pretty kick ass compiled WAD that is already pretty good. I can upload it later if you guys would like. Only problem is, I've modified a lot of shit so the last thing I want to do is start changing other people's stuff.

Anyway. Consider this an unofficial "project update" post.

Nevander said:

Even Simpler

Someone made it. I've seen screenshots on the thread.

Nevander said:

By the way, that Doom 64 mod attempt of Requiem was pretty atrocious, no offense to the creators.

Some of the sounds sound like the guy who made it recorded the sounds from his TV using a microphone. Images have bad colors. There are projects on the WEB using .PNG files extracted directly from the ROM. The sprites should be taken there. I can find it for you.

Nevander said:

Right now in my compiled megawad I've replaced everything except weapons, monsters, and items. For right now, I'm going to keep those separate from the map pack.

Levels separated from Doom64's resources is a good idea. I was going to ask for that. Do you have a copy of the DeHackEd patch that was posted on the thread?

Nevander said:

I LOVE Doom 64 and this project was killer when I first noticed it. It's a shame to see it going dead like this but I'm here to try and revive it. I'll never let this project truly die. I've got a pretty kick ass compiled WAD that is already pretty good. I can upload it later if you guys would like. Only problem is, I've modified a lot of shit so the last thing I want to do is start changing other people's stuff.
Anyway. Consider this an unofficial "project update" post.

At least this work done by the project's contributors will not lost forever in vain. I'm glad you want to revive it. It's a nice vanilla-compatible project.

I don't think that taking graphics directly from Doom 64 is a good idea. There'll be problems with aspect ratio, at the very least.

I'm crossing my fingers that this gets finished. I love Doom64 so any love in its direction is good by me. :)

PS: I'd love to see an upload of what's been compiled so far. It would also be great if there was a separate weapons wad to play with too, if that's doable (gotta love the D64 chainsaw!). :)

The first post still says Final Outpost hasn't been claimed, but I wasn't sure, so I went ahead and threw together a first draft of it as an exercise in making techbases. If it's been taken already, you guys are welcome to use this as you see fit. Otherwise wouldn't mind feedback on whether the textures clash or not.

It also lacks the plasma gun area and the exit tripwire at the moment.

Final Outpost was done for quite some time. I made a few changes yesterday, after being reminded of the project. The most important changes are: the red key fights have different enemies; the plasma gun puzzle now gives the player a second chance (unfortunately, the mechanism is buggy and sometimes fails).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9DxOfPvG2G1TDJNZU5KTGJnWmc/view?usp=sharing

That's awesome that people are still working this! Doom 64 was my first experience with the game as I didn't have a PC capable of running the original back in the day. Is this going to be a vanilla doom mod?

thesubcon3 said:

Is this going to be a vanilla doom mod?

It's already a vanilla Doom mod, but development has stopped for a while. I guess mappers lost interest.