Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

[RELEASE] Plutonia 1024

Breezeep said:

Does that mean we still have to make some more maps?

Nah, we just need to finish some of the currently unfinished maps. I don't think 40oz is accepting new maps now.

Perhaps the filled slots can be locked and some more maps requested specifically to fill the remainder. I'm not an advocate of padding wads out to reach 32 but we're pretty close as it is, a possibility maybe?

I think that the maps that aren't completely finished are very near to being finished - that's why there's an extra week for authors to complete what they currently have.

Surreily I just gave your latest map a play and here are my thoughts:

-The upper start pad looks a bit weird hovering in the sky.
-The hordes of 'minion-tier' monsters like the imps and shotgunners didn't feel particularly Plutonia.
-The outside area I feel is too reminiscent of Underhalls, at least in the texturing (the grey rock walls mainly).
-It wasn't too challenging until the invulnerability & BFG enounter where difficulty suddenly spikes.

Those are the only things I could really find to point out, otherwise the map is great.

joe-ilya said:

Will MAP30 be accepted even though it's overdue?

Sorry Joe, ya missed the mark. Maybe you could use the map for your lost maps project?

Marcaek said:

Perhaps the filled slots can be locked and some more maps requested specifically to fill the remainder. I'm not an advocate of padding wads out to reach 32 but we're pretty close as it is, a possibility maybe?

no thanks. I don't really see the purpose of creating some filler maps to reach the 32 mark. If I had 33 maps I would have split the project into two wads, one with 16 maps and the other with 17. I had no intention of making this a megawad or creating episodic themes or giving the end any sense of closure. Its just a pack of community made Plutonia 1024 maps.

I have project ideas that I will announce in the future that better implement those megawad characteristics.

40oz said:

Sorry Joe, ya missed the mark. Maybe you could use the map for your lost maps project?

Is this having an IOS map? Or is it just going to have a random level at MAP30?

Surreily said:

I'm also still awaiting some feedback for me and Fellowzdoomer's map "@ The Place of Death":

• I'd love to know if the difficulty is too easy (remember, this is going to be MAP32 if all goes to plan).
  • Should the spare hidden invulnerability sphere should be changed to something else (as it's very unlikely that a player would pick up the first one and spend 30 seconds not going down the elevator).
Thanks in advance!

The start reminds me of Doom2 MAP02. I like it.

So I played it on UV. When a map is large and open, I run around more, knowing I have the room to get away from anything chasing me. When a map is cramped, or dark, or both, I'm more cautious. I peek around corners, I sidestep, I slide along the farthest wall so I can activate monsters one (or a couple) at a time. And I save a lot. I finished this map taking absolutely zero damage. Now, that wasn't on the first time through. On the first time through I assumed something would be on the lifts, so I hit the switch from the side so I could back up quickly. I was able to release the Hell Knights without crossing the linedefs which released the Imps behind me. I backed up to the start, SSGing two of them, and climbed the stairs. They couldn't, so I shot down at them and killed them. Picking up the rest of the Shotguns released the Imps. Killed them. Up the lift. Sidestepping out and back let me peekaboo kill the Manc. Got the Chaingunners through the windows before I went for the Red Key. Peekaboo sidestepping on the other side of those windows got most of the released monsters infighting. Chaingunned the rest. Grabbed the Red Key. Turned left and got the Chaingunners and the Revenant by the exit. Went back and opened the Red Key barrier. Turned the corner. AV and Barons fried me. I restored, slid along the wall, activated the AV, killed it. Then one Baron, then the other Baron. Invulnerability and elevator down. Got to the Blue Key room; Invulnerability ran out. I restored and hit the elevator switch from the side, grabbing the Invulnerability when the lift was closer to the bottom. Lasted just long enough to RL, then BFG everything. Two more Revenants teleported in. SSG'd them. Lowered the lift. AV fried me. Restored and repeated. Lowered the AV lift as Invul was running out. BFG'd him, then the last two Revenants showed up. Took the lift up, One SSG blast killed all three shooters. Jumped down, opened the exit, zero damage. Then I went hunting for the last three secrets and the last three monsters.

Yes, the secret Invulnerability should be changed. There's no way to use it against the AV and Barons and once you go downstairs, either you or everything else will be dead by the time you come back up for it. Wait, I just thought. You could use the secret one before you go downstairs, leaving the one on the elevator to use later in the battle. I didn't try that. No, the question is moot. I didn't take any damage as it was. FYI: killing the Barons in that hall throws blood on the walls completely hiding the hint to the secret Invulnerability. I like that. Maybe change the Invulnerability to a Box of Shells or an Energy Pack. Or leave it an Invulnerability but make the back linedef of the door a teleport to right on top of the Blue Key so you can grab the BFG and attack the monsters from behind through the choke point of the door. Or maybe a dick move and make it one Potion.

So, is the map too easy? Your call. If you don't find the Plasma Gun secret at the beginning, the AV/Baron fight is harder and you'd run out energy ammo while using the BFG in the Blue Key fight. I never used the Soul Sphere, the Megasphere or the second Invulnerability. I enjoyed trying not to get hurt. I'm sure the Block Sound line tags helped me in that regard. I'm not sure which ones you could remove without completely changing the dynamic of the map. There are 6 Stimpacks, 3 Medkits, a Soul Sphere, and a Megasphere for healing - against 6 AVs, 8 Hell Knights, 2 Barons and 15 Revenants. The last AV didn't actually kill me, but by that point I was trying to finish with taking no damage. Hmmm. I'll bet there's a way to script giving a special bonus or opening a special secret for taking no damage in a map. Interesting idea for a mod. How healthy you are when you finish a map determines the level of bonus you get at the end. I know there's a one-hit kill for deathmatch, but I haven't heard that applied to single-player. That's another variant. Talk about your strategic gameplay. How would you play "Tricks and Traps" as one-hit kill? Jeez, the way my mind works at 3AM.

Here's what I finished the map with from a standard Pistol start. I had fun. Great map.

http://i.imgur.com/o6Gj9ni.png

Wow! Big thank you for playing my map and throwing some feedback my way Captain Toenail and EffinghamHuffnagel!

Captain Toenail said:

-The upper start pad looks a bit weird hovering in the sky.

I know, I know, but Plutonia teleporters are a pain to do. I wish I could just use DOOR3 instead, but I'll get into trouble if I do that :(

Anyways, I made it harder now! Download is the same URL as before: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bcq0x1on29x116d/pl1024-Surreily2.wad. Changes include:

• The shotgun, super shotgun, and chaingun are now provided at the beginning of the map. This is to prevent automatic weapon switching at bad times.
  • Many, many changes to enemies. Expect to see some lost souls and pain elementals now!
  • Two secrets have had their rewards changed to make less of an impact.
  • The outdoor area has some big gameplay changes.
It should now be closer to the level of difficulty I am aiming for, but please let me know if there's still some things I could do better. Thanks!

Burgalveist 2.2ish

It may still need some game-play tweaks, but at the moment it seems hard without being bullshit hard. I still die every third attempt or so, which, considering author bias, makes me hopeful that it will pose a significant challenge.

40oz said:

Great work! The changes seem much more fitting for your map, and progressively appropriate. Even though the monster count isn't far from what you started with, it did leave me wondering how the map would fare if you peppered in some extra shellboxes and doubled the monster population in some of the traps.

I have no problem making the map more difficult over-all, as long as nobody finds it too tedious. I still need to do skill levels as well, which I can do tomorrow (today?) after I get home from work.

40oz said:

Also the shoot switch in the start, I know was a response to EffingHamHuffNagel's post, but it feels a little phoned in there.

I agree, it was a bit ham-fisted, I was just worried about getting the map as close to finished as possible before the dead-line. I honestly didn't like the whole concept, so I went with the simpler method of dropping a mancubus in your path that you *have to* kill to get past. At the expense of a bit of the non-linearity in the beginning (what little there was), it should now be extremely difficult (if not damn-near impossible) to make progress in the map without waking the monsters.

40oz said:

...hope I don't sound too scrutinizing!

Not at all, the logistics of this map actually became very challenging the further along I got, so any input is helpful. Fun fact: not only is this the first 1024 map I've ever made, it began in a somewhat nostalgic manner. I was so bored at work that I did something I haven't done since I was like 14 or 15: I started drawing maps on paper, and I remembered this project, so I started planning.

The best part is, I actually thought this would be easy! Live and learn.

Edit: Would it be possible to get a list of which songs have been used so far? I don't really have the time to download all of the maps right now, and I'd like to pick a suitable song that hasn't been used, or at least not used multiple times already.

Breezeep said:

hey 40oz, how's the compiling of the wad going?

Thanks for asking!

I actually didn't compile the wad together just yet, as there are still some maps that may get updated within the next couple days. I figured it would be best to wait until I have all the maps I'm definitely going to use in their current state set in stone before I lump it all together. Doing it now and replacing maps with updated ones or shuffling the map list around can be problematic, so with that I'm just gonna leave it be until the 27th.

What I did do however, is I started writing up the /idgames readme file, making sure I credit everyone who made a map, playtested, even special thanks to people who attempted to make a map or made a valuable contributing post in the thread.

I also put together a wad that features the TITLE graphics and all that are going to be in it. I decided to use the TITLEPIC that FellowZDoomer, Captain Toenail, and Surreily worked on together as the BOSSBACK image, and a recolored version of it for the INTERPIC. I took Phml's suggestion and used my original first TITLEPIC idea as the TITLEPIC, and modified the second version (the one that said Plutonia 1024 in the clouds) by darkening it, and overlaying the maplist on top of it with the authors of each map listed next to it as the CREDIT image. After the map list is fully compiled, I'll just shove the maps in the wad, the music, and rename their lumpfiles accordingly, and that should be it, I think!

I'll do that on the 27th or the 28th and post it here as a quick beta for us to double check to see if the maplist is fair, correct, and to check for any weird bugs that I might have generated in the process compiling the maps together. If there are any wrinkles, I'll quick iron them out and the official release version will be posted on the opening post of the thread, and submitted to /idgames for a permanent home :)

I don't have an official maplist yet, but I wrote down the mapnames of all the the maps that have been OK'd and seem most likely to get in on a sheet of paper, and then I cut the paper up into thin strips so I could shuffle them around so I can see the order in which seems best for all the maps. This was the best that I came up with thus far, but if anyone has any objections I'll happily change it.

MAP01: Mt. Lazarev
MAPxx: Tenochtitlan
MAPxx: Plutonic Plate Shift
MAPxx: Confinement Point
MAPxx: (Walter C's It's a Trap!) [Swap with Surrounded if not updated]
MAPxx: The Den
MAP07: Green Destiny
MAPxx: Midnight
MAPxx: Blood Waves
MAPxx: Surrounded
MAPxx: Fatalist
MAPxx: Problematic Conditions
MAPxx: (Megalyth's Burgalveist)
MAPxx: And All That Could Have Been
MAPxx: Fellspring
MAPxx: Archipelago
MAPxx: The Pool of Blood
MAPxx: Litany
MAPxx: Constant Motion
MAPxx: (Marcaek's A Map!)
MAPxx: Todofina
MAPxx: (Atomic Garden)
MAPxx: Bloodlust
MAPxx: Ascent
MAPxx: (Archi's Untitled)
MAPxx: The Sickening Grove [Personally, I'd like to see this as a secret map :)]
MAPxx: Vice
MAPxx: Necroseptic Gut-Plunger

MAP31: (Cybercage)
MAP32: (@The Place of Death)

Maps enclosed in parentheses are for maps that haven't been OK'd yet.

This isn't really arranged in the most accurate easiest to hardest, or any best to worst, worst to best, or any other order. I just kinda used gut feeling to arrange the maps in the most fitting way I could think of.

Is it just me or do we only need 2 more maps for a megawad? I know you said you didn't want to feel obliged to fill a quota, but come on, we can bang out 2 more maps! :P I can give MAP30 a decent crack, I think.

I appreciate it, Obsidian, but I'm more interested in meeting the deadline than going the full 32. It does feel a little ridiculous being so close, but making a map is only half the battle. Testing the maps and writing up a review takes a lot of time, and then waiting on the person to make necessary changes takes even more. There's only about a week left and I can't promise I can give this project my full attention now that the next semester of my college classes starts in 3 days. Also Getsu Fune announced he did his last review a couple days ago to focus on other things, and Keyboard_Doomer doesn't have much free time it seems. So the playtesting portion of the project isn't really at it's peak anymore.

Surreily said:

It should now be closer to the level of difficulty I am aiming for, but please let me know if there's still some things I could do better. Thanks!

----------------------
@ The Place of Death
----------------------

Wow. A lot more Revenants. Replacing two of the Hell Knights on the lift with Revenants made it harder, but half the times I ran through this, at least one of the Revs shot and hit a Knight so infighting killed one of them. But yes, harder.

Moving the Revenants from around the corner so they see you when you come up on the lift was scarier, but not necessarily harder. Well, maybe. The first time through they did kill me. The second time I ran for the stairs. Killed the Chaingunners and picked off the Revs and Demons through the windows. If you keep peekabooing or stay at an angle, their shots won't hit you through the windows.

The Red Key fight was similar. Grab the key and back up to get back down the lift to the windows. Keep moving past the windows to get the Chaingunners to shoot and wait for them to hit Revenants. Pick off the Revs left afterwards like before. Do you want to make the Red Key fight insanely hard? Remove the WR LowerLiftFast linedef tags 6 from the top of the lift. Then when you grab the Red Key you have to jump down into the teleporting monsters. You could still run to the stairs and get back to the windows, but it would be harder to get there. Pause. Just tested that. Not much harder. You can jump down, kill one Chaingunner that teleports in and still make it to the stairs with minimal damage before most monsters teleport in. Wait. If you also tag the edges of the Red Key platform as W1 CloseDoor30Seconds to close off the stairs... oh, that's just evil. The Lost Souls here are useless. They can't fit through the windows, so they're easy to pick off from the windows or through the space above the top of the lift. I took more damage from the Chaingunners than I did from the Revenants.

I was not expecting the PEs behind me and Revenants in front of me downstairs after getting the Red Key and clearing out the upstairs. That was nasty.

Replacing the two Barons with two more AVs was nastier. Took a few tries to figure out how to not die. Used up all my cells and rockets. Yay, Soul Sphere.

Blue Key fight was the same as before. Wait to use the Invulnerability and you should survive.

Okay. That was harder. And better, I think.

Edit: Forgot to indicate which map this was for people other than the author.

Megalyth said:

Burgalveist 2.2ish

It may still need some game-play tweaks, but at the moment it seems hard without being bullshit hard. I still die every third attempt or so, which, considering author bias, makes me hopeful that it will pose a significant challenge.

Played on UV. Deceptively hard. I died 10 times before I got to the first switch, until I figured out in what order to kill the 5 things shooting at me (Chaingunner, Imp, Revenant, Mancubus, Caco). Same thing after hitting the last switch (Demon, AV, Macubus, PE, Chaingunner, Revenant, Caco which I think was resurrected). Yes, I saved a lot. Last time through finished with 17 bullets, 2 shells, 9 rockets. Rockets are not as useful as you'd think, when a PE is spitting Lost Souls in your face. Ouch. Other times through had similar ammo amounts. At the end, after healing to get to 100% health there were 3 Medkits still available. My only negative is the Arachno. He can't move much and by the time he appears you have the Rocket Launcher, so 3 rockets from across the map and he's done. He's not very useful. Unless you thought he would be good for causing some infighting, taking attacks away from you? Didn't try that. If you replace him, maybe just another Revenant; something that moves faster and is harder to hit from a distance. Good map.

Edit: Or have the Arachno appear at a different time. Currently he appears when you grab the Blue Key, crossing linedef tag 12, when you're on the far side of the map with a clear shot at him. Maybe when you jump into the pit, crossing tag 15, or grabbing the Box of Shells, crossing tag 2, he might be more effective.

joe-ilya said:

Alright!! Here's a second version :
https://www.mediafire.com/?nnie9xgoxkp47gb

---------------
Atomic Garden
---------------

Played on UV, using ZDoom. Interesting gameplay on this map. The first part of the map is the hardest - getting the Yellow Key. That took maybe 20 minutes. Once you get the Yellow Key, the rest of the map takes less than 2 minutes, tops. After I figured out that I had to run into the center area, grab all the weapons and ammo I could and run back out before it filled up with Hell Knights, it got easier. Then I just had to stay at the outside north end so the Hell Knights and Cacos would congregate there. The Cacos would try and shoot me, hit Knights, infight and die. Then run around to the south and get off 4 or 5 rockets through the opening before the Knights separated too much so I could maximize splash damage. Rinse and repeat a few times, then use the Plasma Gun to save some rockets for later. Once I had the room to myself, it was fun time. Found the secret Invis Sphere. Grabbed that, the Megasphere, the Yellow Key/Invulnerability and plowed through the rest of the monsters with rockets, SSG and chainsaw (I heard an AV and wanted to save cells). Invulnerability ran out as I got to the switch to open the exit, but I was still Invisible. Found myself chainsawing an AV from behind while a Chaingunner shot him from the front. Kind of an AV sandwich. Never done that before. Hit the switch and Plasma Gunned the second AV; SSG'd the rest. Went back for the second secret.

A couple of issues, none major:

1) The Demon next to the Chaingunner at the beginning - He blocks the Hell Knight from getting to you. He's shorter than the Knight, so he can't see over the wall and doesn't activate until you get very close to him. I didn't get that close. The Hell Knight activated and I was able to shoot him over the top of the wall without the Demon activating. When I got to the Demon, I was going to shoot him when he came at me. He never did. He's exactly the same size as the hallway, so he can't make the 90 degree turn. So, to conserve ammo, I just stood at the corner and punched him once every time he came by. 6 or 7 punches killed him. Never played Whack-a-Mole with a Demon before either (without a Berserk).

2) The second secret and the stairs - I assume you intended for the Player to stay in the center room killing monsters as they teleported in, then grab the Megasphere when you needed it. Because of the way I played, the Blue Armor didn't do much except top off my armor from 173 to 200 before exiting the level.

I think two things are supposed to happen with the stairs and the secret. A) I saw the teleport linedef on the automap, ran up the stairs and ran off the side of the stairs into the teleport to get to the secret armor. B) The top of the stairs column with the Yellow Key and Invulnerability are two sectors. The outer one has a floor of 136, and the inner one has a floor of -112, well below ground level. The inner sector is tagged 11, LowerFloorToHighestAdjacentFLoor. I'm guessing the Invulnerability shouldn't appear until you hit the hidden torch switch, linedef tag 11. It actually appears as soon as you hit the switch to raise the stairs, linedef tag 2. Don't know why. C) The hint for the torch with the hidden switches is that it blinks and all the others pulsate. You missed a torch. There is a second torch in the SW corner of the center room which does not do anything. Should probably also pulsate to be consistent. D) My second pet peeve - Non-switch textured switches that don't do anything when you use them. Especially if they affect something that's not immediately nearby. My suggestion is always to add a non-visible upper or lower switch texture, so at least it will make a switch sound when it's used.

---
At first I thought "Jeez, there's at least a dozen Hell Knights and I've got 60 bullets and 4 shells left. WTF?" Once I figured it out, it was fun. I also like the sniper Imps around the outside of the map, even though they were pissing me off. One would always hit me from behind while I was shooting another one. But they don't move around much, so I could use my Pistol. BTW, I tested grabbing the Yellow Key without grabbing the Invulnerability. You can open the Yellow Key door, run to the corner, hit the switch and run back to get the Invulnerability without really taking damage, as long as you still grab the Invis Sphere first. Still less than two minutes once you open the Yellow Key Door. Good map.

Edit: That last part kind of assumes it's not your first time through the map or that you recognize the blinking torch does something, and where to look for the switch effect. Otherwise, the second half of the map will take a lot longer than 2 minutes and you'll take a lot more damage.

joe-ilya

Atomic Garden: Awesome! This map is fun! The Cacodemon on the secret ledge (Thing 30) is stuck there because of monster blocking lines (Lines 30, 31, 32, 57, 222, and 224). I'm not sure that was intended, but it makes the cacodemon look like he's stuck when normally they can fly. Maybe a group of imps would be a better fit instead. The changes you made were really good though, I like this map a lot! Change the monster block lines or change the cacodemon into some imps and this map gets an OK from me! :D

EDIT: I forgot to check the other skill levels on this map. If you didn't implement difficulty levels, please do! :)

Surreily

@The Place of Death: I love it! I had a lot of fun both playing it and replaying it over and over. However, I had trouble finding any semblance to the map it's based off of, though. I might need to see if I can get an opportunity to get FellowZDoomer's approval on this. I can't find much reason not to OK it otherwise. This is a tricky situation I'll have to mull over to make sure credit is given where it's due. The other thing is I don't think it's crazy, special, or unique enough to be in the MAP32 spot despite being modeled after Go 2 It. It's damn fun but I'm leaning towards putting Obsidian's Sickening Grove in MAP32 more than this one, for the purpose of being a 'secret' map. I hope you make more maps in the future, I'd love to see more of your work :)

Megalyth

Burgalveist: Nice job! The difficulty curve seemed consistently fun and frantic throughout! It's interesting to see how much your map has evolved. Though in the future I'd probably recommend mixing up the types of traps like monster closets or raising floors, etc instead of only teleport ambushes, but you use them so strategically that I don't think it really hurts your map, here. I felt I had to be a little conservative with my ammo at times. I think an extra shell box or two near the beginning might help, as the start opens up with some hefty high-HP, ammo absorbing monsters. It might make me a little more comfortable about spraying a little at fast-moving revenants if I had some extra shots to spare. The only other things is your map should implement difficulty settings. I think swapping the regular shotgun with a super shotgun on easy and medium would make a huge difference. Perhaps changing a few of the tough monsters into lesser counterparts, like a few revenants into a pair of imps, that first mancubus into a bunch of spectres, etc. The map could also use some music. I can't remember all the ones that haven't been used yet, but off the top of my head I'm pretty sure D_E1M3, D_E1M9, D_E2M6, D_E3M2, D_BETWEE, D_THE_DA, D_DDTBLU, D_IN_CIT, D_MESSAG, and D_EVIL haven't been used.

Yeah, do whatever you want 40oz, I don't mind and I agree that it ain't that unique in terms of gameplay :)

I don't think Fellowzdoomer is on these forums anymore though. Apparently something happened over on some other thread and he's taking a break or something. I don't know the full story. If you can't get his OK, feel free to rename the map to something like "The Whispering Passages" or "Halls of Pain" or whatever - the map isn't based on Fellowzdoomer's original one, as the layout wasn't very interesting (it consisted of a couple hallways and basic rooms). I ended up creating a new map from scratch based on Doom II's MAP02. Of course, the idea for this map was from Fellowzdoomer, so I don't want to take all the credit for the map.

He has been losered. Now, he is making a map and will probably will make another account to release his bland red slopes and rooms. he also has to think before he posts.

Have you tried emailing him?

---------
Pitfall
---------

Played on UV. Well, it's a map that uses Plutonia textures, although it feels more like a Doom map that's been re-textured. Playable area is 960x1088. Does that count as 1024x1024?

I never felt threatened or challenged at all. I thought, "Maybe this is meant for MAP01", but remembered that Plutonia MAP01 had a Pain Elemental, Mancubi, Revenants, and 2 Arch-Viles. This map is too easy for MAP01. The toughest monsters here are 2 Hell Knights, and you can kill them both before they can attack you. Two Lost Souls in the exit room; that surprised me. Everything is tagged Easy-Medium-Hard except on Easy, there's one less Shotgunner. Not sure that counts as difficulty-balancing. My last time through I finished with 195% health, 99% armor, 116 bullets, 50 shells, 6 rockets and 100 cells, although there's no Rocket Launcher or Plasma Gun. I suppose that ammo is for later levels?

Clean-up issues:

There's an Unknown Object, type 32000, in the top center room.

The slime room - MARBLE1 and ROCK2? Very Doom.

Do NOT use tag 666 for the teleport linedefs in the southern central room. Tag 666 has a special use in maps.

This map needs more... everything. More Plutonia-ness. I liked the author's other map, The Den. That one was short and dangerous. This one is just... playable.

Thanks for the feedback, but I gave up on the map as I stated a few pages back. If anyone wants to improve on it be my guest. If you guys plan on just scrappin it, no big deal. I wasn't too impressed with it myself anyways.

Count651 said:

Thanks for the feedback, but I gave up on the map as I stated a few pages back. If anyone wants to improve on it be my guest. If you guys plan on just scrappin it, no big deal. I wasn't too impressed with it myself anyways.

Ah, missed that. I'm just going through the OP, looking at maps that haven't been reviewed or OK'd yet.

40oz said:

Change the monster block lines or change the cacodemon into some imps and this map gets an OK from me! :D

Can I just leave linedef 32 blocking to make it go out when sideways?