Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

[RELEASE] Plutonia 1024

@CorSair
Now it is obvious for the players that they are bypassing an obstacle but it's still possible to get to the exit without lowering the last pole without the need to even use straferunning. Nomo demo (-complevel 9).

EDIT: Also, this happens in GLBoom+. I think it's worth fixing since GLBoom+ is probably one of the most popular ports for wads requiring boom compability.

Somebody wanna name Marcaeks map (MAP20) and Archi's map (MAP25)?

Keyboard_Doomer said:

@CorSair
Now it is obvious for the players that they are bypassing an obstacle but it's still possible to get to the exit without lowering the last pole without the need to even use straferunning.

Bah. Should have chosen Boom format when I made it. Maybe there is way in D2 format, but I decided to go my way and made it in voodoo style.

Also, I didn't have that issue while I tested it in GLBoom+. And personally, I don't see that as huge issue, maybe in aesthetic side, but not in gameplay wise. But what the hell, fixed it anyways.

So, maybe we can leave exploitation out from this version? Please? ;)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmnt0or46uu55es/pl1024-corsair-V6.wad?dl=0

40oz said:

Somebody wanna name Marcaeks map (MAP20) and Archi's map (MAP25)?

I thought I remembered seeing a post that Marcaek had suggested "Charnel's Cellar" for his map, but he wasn't sure about it. For Archi's map all I could think of was "Impish Delight". It's the title of an acheivement in Darkness 2 as well as a very tasty cupcake, or so I'm told.

Since I was playing with Doomword when you posted, I created the CWILVxx entries for these two as well as correcting CWILV04, "It's a Trap!" and the DEHACKED as well (there were two map lengths which were too short).

http://www.mediafire.com/?mo2j8n1wbvc1cjy

Surreily said:

So, is this project going to end up on idgames?

yes, it will be submitted to the incoming folder in its finished state, which will either be on Sunday or Monday. If you or someone else would like to volunteer to do that id greatly appreciate it. I'll PM the zipped wad and text file to you a few hours before official release.

Its been a while since I've used an ftp program in not even sure I remember how to do it, and would help save me some time figuring how to use filezilla again :P

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I thought I remembered seeing a post that Marcaek had suggested "Charnel's Cellar" for his map, but he wasn't sure about it. For Archi's map all I could think of was "Impish Delight". It's the title of an acheivement in Darkness 2 as well as a very tasty cupcake, or so I'm told.

Since I was playing with Doomword when you posted, I created the CWILVxx entries for these two as well as correcting CWILV04, "It's a Trap!" and the DEHACKED as well (there were two map lengths which were too short).

http://www.mediafire.com/?mo2j8n1wbvc1cjy

I must have missed marcaeks post. And impish delight is good enough for me :D

Appreciate the new CWILV graphics, but I've been monitoring this thread pretty closely today and fixing the errors in the wad myself, aside from any map edits.

So far:

Fixed map title entries for map05 and map32 in the dehacked patch.
Found the solution to the music problem map01 in the dehacked patch.
Imported new version of INTERPIC (I had one on hand but imported an older version in the wad by mistake)
Imported new version of CREDIT that includes full credits for each map and some other words in the foreground.
Imported new CWILV04 with an added apostrophe.
Updated text file to be a bit more organized and fuller.

Would someone be kind to reupload the beta release on another site (like dropbox) please? Mediafire seems to be down for me at the moment.

40oz said:

yes, it will be submitted to the incoming folder in its finished state, which will either be on Sunday or Monday. If you or someone else would like to volunteer to do that id greatly appreciate it. I'll PM the zipped wad and text file to you a few hours before official release.

Its been a while since I've used an ftp program in not even sure I remember how to do it, and would help save me some time figuring how to use filezilla again :P

I don't think that'd be the best of ideas. The last time I uploaded a WAD to the archives was in '06. I don't have any upload software available, so I think the task would be better suited for someone else :)

I hope my map, Problematic Conditions was placed in the first episode, because I like the E1 sky.

Thanks for letting me know about the misaligned textures, Memfis, I've put together a fix for it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/e3mc0ba2cb8nuea/Pl1024_brezeep_fix.rar

And by the way, I'd like to have my map, "And all that could have been" have the E2 sky (Red sky, not the E3 sky)

Upload on Sendspace for gothic.

map12: Hmm, the Cyberdemon can be telefragged before even waking him up... and the secret is pretty easy to find in this version of the map.

Just a stupid question for map14: The last switch that opens the exit and the two windows nearby... the sky in the windows is different from the sky in the rest of the level - that's the supposed effect, right?

More places that need monster-blocking lines to avoid monsters falling off:
map31: the ledge where the 2 Arch-viles teleport in (sector 164 and then either sector 4 or 13 need to be bordered by monster-blocking lines)
map32: the pillar where this Arch-vile is

The crusher with voodoo doll in map32... it's possible to activate it not directly shooting at the Arch-vile but on a nearby wall trying to wake him up. Also possible to activate it by getting closer to the cage and just punching the air... I guess it would be better to make the line shorter and out of punching reach of the player to avoid "What kind of bullshit is this??!!!1!!11 I just tried to wake him up!"

Erm, is this considered a misalign? I have honestly no idea, I'm not a mapper and this isn't something that would bother me personally...

map16:

It's possible to get up here with a simple Arch-vile jump. That would be outside the 1024x1024 box and also an alternative way how to get the secret.

If shooting from a certain angle from the platform with blue switch both player's and monsters' projectiles will disappear into void. Video.
Not sure if it wouldn't be better to make the teleporter inaccessible to monsters anyway... so many telefrag opportunities.

I don't know if this was discussed before for this map but I'm sure many players would greatly prefer berserk over chainsaw especially cosidering the kind of monsters used.

Nitpicks for map17:

Maybe raise the ceiling a bit in the room after the fake tele? The Revenants' heads end up being in the ceiling since the game considers them to be 56 units tall but their sprite is actually 72 units tall.

This Revenant that you can see but he doesn't wake up just seems a bit bizarre to me. Either make him wake up or hide him somehow (no idea how though with the limited space :\).

It's possible to take the soulsphere without tagging the secret. I guess placing it a bit farther inside would help... I'm being fucking meticulous, am I not? :D

map18:

I think monster-blocking lines are needed for the platform with yellow key so the Arch-vile can't fall off.

It's possible to get to this area as well as to the Revenant alcoves in the exit room with an Arch-vile jump. I guess at least the first instance needs fixing.

map19:

Similar nitpick as in map17 - Arch-vile's head appears to be in the ceiling.

Monster-blocking lines are definitely needed here so the Cyberdemon can't get stuck on the edge or fall off with -complevel 9.

For the sake of being a nitpicking pain in the ass, maybe some monster-blocking lines on the elevator, too...?

map22:

It's possible to take the invulnerability but miss the secret - happened to me. Also, if the player presses both switches that raise the platform it raises two times and this way the secret definitely becomes inaccessible.

All of the tree stumps get cut by the sky. I guess that's the supposed effect...?

map23:

Possible to get outside of the playing area with an Arch-vile jump if you're unlucky.

map25:

These revenants also have heads in the ceiling.

Misalign?

What is this?

map27:
Also possible to take the soulsphere here without tagging the secret... maybe let the soulsphere raise from the ground or teleport it in since this is also possible with boom compability.
Or just let the players slow down if they want 100% secrets - it's not like this isn't just a nitpick ;)

map28:

Hehe, the amount of plasma with the BFG seems to be a bit overkill especially considering this ended up being the last map.

The monsters start teleporting to the starting area after a walk-over line before pressing the switch that lowers the elevators. This way the players can make things a little less hectic for themselves if they kill the monsters earlier but I guess this isn't a big deal.

Thanks Keyboard_Doomer.

Also, why Confinement Point has the wrong music? The latest version had the song from Doom 2 MAP09.

Keyboard doomer, the sky in the windows when you activate the exit is supposed to be an effect, looking like reality is falling apart. And yes, the telefrag secret is easy to find. do you want me to change the blue light texture to the white one? because that would mean players will have to look closely to use it.

Breezeep said:

the sky in the windows when you activate the exit is supposed to be an effect

Thought so, just wanted to make sure :)

Breezeep said:

the telefrag secret is easy to find. do you want me to change the blue light texture to the white one? because that would mean players will have to look closely to use it.

I think it would be better if it was a standard wall initially but then later in the map a walk-over line or a switch would lower the wall revealing this easy to find secret. Just seems kinda pointless to me to have a secret with which you can telefrag a Cyberdemon before even waking him up.

Thank you for the feedback, Keyboard. I could make the blue light shootable, revealing a button you press to lower the lights and revealing a teleporter pad.

@Breezeep

Unless you mean the switch would be in a different place in the map I think you misunderstood me a bit. The Cyber is harmless if the player knows about the secret or is lucky enough to find it soon. I know many levels in which you can telefrag a Cyberdemon but in all of them he gives you a hard time for a shorter or longer while. With the current state of the secret the telefrag feels like a gimmick not like quick way how to eliminate a big danger.

Holy crap where were these error reports a month ago? Haha

I'll go through and fix a majority of these errors myself, keeping a log of everything I do in case it raises concerns, so no need to submit updated versions of your maps with newly aligned textures or monster blocking lines or whatever. Personally, it's more convenient for me to do it in DB2 myself than to import all the maplumps into the wad and rename them accordingly, etc. Unless it's a pretty major change then I suppose it's necessary. But don't sweat the small stuff.

I'm kinda debating with myself if it's really necessary that I fix a majority of these cosmetic issues. I wasn't very careful with texture alignment myself in my map. Many of them were pretty much invisible to me during my playthroughs. But I understand some people can be real sticklers for texture alignment, especially in such small maps.

Keyboard_Doomer said:

Upload on Sendspace for gothic.

Thank you for doing that :)

Breezeep said:

And by the way, I'd like to have my map, "And all that could have been" have the E2 sky (Red sky, not the E3 sky)

Noted. I had the E1 Overcast Clouds sky, I'll change it to E2 Red Sunset.

gothic said:

Also, why Confinement Point has the wrong music? The latest version had the song from Doom 2 MAP09.

Sorry about that. I'll change it for you.

Thanks.
I noticed a few bugs on the megawad version of Cybercage (none of these happens on the one alone on the main post)

http://i.imgur.com/9IWBg8p.png

This happens only on (g)zdoom, so maybe it's an engine bug, the chaingunners teleport early on that area.

http://i.imgur.com/0A1kAV6.png

This happens on zdoom and prboom+ (not tested on opengl) in the 3rd and 4th cages. I don't know if you did something else to the map aside for the fake automap exit.

EDIT:Yay, Mediafire works again! :D

40oz said:

Holy crap where were these error reports a month ago? Haha

Yeah, sorry about that. I was surprised myself how many things I found today that I missed previously. I guess I was slacking off even more than I thought I was...
Also, only after playing CorSair's map again recently I started considering the monster falling off behavior in -complevel 9.

Breezeep said:

How do you like this, Keyboard Doomer?

Hehe, much better now. I know that there were some comments that the secret might be hard to find so the blue strip could stay - I guess I'll let 40oz decide if it's needed there. Regardless, the map now satisfies my sadomasochistic tendencies :D

Plutonia 1024: Beta 2!

Comes with updated readme, and changelog.

Went through and changed MOST of the things that were mentioned since the first beta. Some of the items mentioned here I didn't know what to do about so I left it as is. If there's anything particularly disruptive as a result of these changes please let me know! I didn't make time to play the whole thing again from start to finish, so it's possible some errors slipped through the cracks.

MAP25 just had to read 'Impish D", didn't it? X-D

Anyway, here's a DeHackEd patch that should fix the cut off map names. I'll do a MAPINFO later when my laptop decides to copy and paste things properly. *Eye twitch*

I know that I should have probably said this earlier,but the lines surrounding the yellow platform in map 18 were left un-blocking so that the Archvile could fall, but if you guys think they're better off being monster blocking, keep them like that. Again, sorry for not replying earlier, I was kind of busy with real life.

A.Gamma said:

I know that I should have probably said this earlier,but the lines surrounding the yellow platform in map 18 were left un-blocking so that the Archvile could fall, but if you guys think they're better off being monster blocking, keep them like that. Again, sorry for not replying earlier, I was kind of busy with real life.

Hmm, AFAIK the monsters can't fall off in ZDoom-based ports with default settings so I would be of the opinion to have as consistent behavior in popular source ports as possible. But 40oz is the boss here :)

@40oz

Hmm, the CorSair's map26 isn't the newest version where there are no exploits. Also, in the same map there are now two huge node builiding errors(?)... I wonder how many more of these could be in this beta D:

Demo of one of the errors (-complevel 9).

EDIT: I carefully checked all maps with textured automap mode and IDDT and there don't seem to be any more critical node building erros where either player or monsters could get stuck in the ground.