Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Post Your Opinions About Doom (Whether Controversial or Not)

MetroidJunkie said:

That's a good point. When you get down to it, a Baron is just a souped up Imp.

It's funny that several monsters esp. in Doom II have claimed that "title": e.g. Hell Knights and Revenants. And then people started using them as liberally as imps in maps O_o

Angry Saint said:

Monster inflation?

That's pretty accurate, considering how the average map size, complexity, monster population and difficulty also was ramped up to levels that would be unthinkable (and unplayable) in 1994. When it appeared, NUTS.WAD was but an unplayable joke. Today it's not unusual to find megawads designed around the concept of having to slaughter thousand of monsters (albeit with a more refined presentation), and having to use tricks and mobility normally reserved to COMPET-N grandmasters to even have a chance at surviving.

Yes, something I really hate.

"Revenant is the new Imp" way of thinking takes away some of the fun in too many Doom level, so that there is no more exploring etc...

The cyberdemon is a souped up imp, as well.

And the spiderdemon is a souped up chaingunner.

And the icon of sin is a souped up pain elemental.

Angry Saint said:

"Revenant is the new Imp" way of thinking takes away some of the fun in too many Doom level, so that there is no more exploring etc...

Agreed. For that type of level I have a Dehacked patch ready that takes off the A_Tracer calls, evening out the playing field again.

Because that's the real problem here. Revenant crowds can be fun - but only if they don't shoot homing missiles.

Arctangent said:

Of course, that's ignoring the fact that the doors might just have a proximity sensor built into them, since all of them do do that sci-fi upwards opening. Just in the case of doors ( and lifts, for that matter ) that require the use button have sensors so close that you have to wave your hand near them or something.

I've seen doors in real life that work exactly like in classic Doom: they rise, wait 5 seconds, close. Same speed too. If someone is in their way, they rebound when getting close to (but without touching) the head. They're activated by pulling a chain switch in front of the door, not by proximity.

printz said:

^ Now that's a controversial opinion: that Doom needs nerfing.

Doom doesn't. Just some maps by people who assume that everyone has perfect control over the player.

There's only one wrong way to be a Doom fan, and that's to be the kind of person that calls Brutal Doom "the way Doom was meant to be." Liking it on its face strictly as a mod is fine I GUESS, I mean I still think less of you and all but it's not straight up "you don't belong here."

Graf Zahl said:

Agreed. For that type of level I have a Dehacked patch ready that takes off the A_Tracer calls, evening out the playing field again.

Can you share, please?

Homing projectiles make crowds of revenants more predictable. And it allows one of my favorite infighting techniques, which is to lead a big bunch of revenant missiles to collide on a big annoying monster, such as a cyberdemon.

Angry Saint said:

Can you share, please?

Sure:

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

[CODEPTR]
#make the revenant's missile non-homing
FRAME 316 = NULL
FRAME 317 = NULL

It's time for ZDoom to change that "green rock" texture in the "Hud filler" to the much more suitable "Stone1".

Spoiler

gemini09 said:

It's time for ZDoom to change that "green rock" texture in the "Hud filler" to the much more suitable "Stone1".

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

gemini09 said:

pic

Wtf happened to those satyr faces? O_o

Maes said:

Wtf happened to those satyr faces? O_o

joe posted that in the picture thread; it's just several scrolling linedefs with those alternating textures, giving the effect that there's lights behind certain parts of the wall that light the faces up as they move past them.

Graf Zahl said:

Sure:

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

[CODEPTR]
#make the revenant's missile non-homing
FRAME 316 = NULL
FRAME 317 = NULL

thank you!

Arctangent said:

Yes, the texture makes part of the screen border and originates from vanilla, but that doesn't change the fact that it makes the HUD look worse/odder than a different texture would in its place if it matched the HUD's color and style better.

scifista42 said:

Yes, the texture makes part of the screen border and originates from vanilla, but that doesn't change the fact that it makes the HUD look worse/odder than a different texture would in its place if it matched the HUD's color and style better.

It's also worth noting that he's complaining about a port not having a feature that it actually has.

I get an impression that he's actually complaining about it not becoming the default setting by now. That said, I don't want to imply that I also think that it should, in fact I'm rather indifferent about it, as I play with HUD covering the entire screen width, so that I don't get to see any border. I'm only saying that I understand gemini09 and his statement wasn't really "uhhh"s-worthy.

Winged_Warrior said:

I hate D_DEAD and i silence the music whenever a map uses that track.

How do you feel about Black Sabbath's "After All (The Dead)"?

Winged_Warrior said:

I hate D_DEAD and i silence the music whenever a map uses that track.

It's one of my faves in Doom II.

Another thing: I always use freelook. Jumping and crouching are one thing, that breaks lots of maps. But unless it's IOS (which is a dumb gimmick IMO, but I suppose that's not so controversal), I feel more comfortable using it.

I also don't understand how it's a cheat. It just means I have to actually look up or down to hit something. Unless you use freelook AND autoaim- now that's cheating.

TheMightyHeracross said:

I also don't understand how [freelook is] a cheat. It just means I have to actually look up or down to hit something.

It gives you advantage in situations where autoaim wouldn't allow you to aim at the monster you want, for example because there was another monster closer to you and either below or above the monster whom you wanted to shoot, or because the monster was out of autoaim's distance range and on a different height level than you. Or shooting shootable switches not supposed to be reachable from your current position.