Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TerminX

Looking for / Want to buy: Registered Doom Mail Order (Approx Values, offers, etc)

20 hours ago, doomdoom said:

Hey all, looking to buy a copy of doom to add to my collection. It was THE game for me growing up and im looking to get a copy to hold onto forever.

I know theres a doom full version and a shareware version. Im seeing shareware versions going for 300+ on ebay. Is this a fair price? I was hoping to spend less on a boxed copy of doom full or shareware, but if thats what they go for, then i guess it is what it is!

Dont need it to be amazing condition or sealed, just a decent copy that I can display. 

thanks

When you are collecting, value is really up to you. You either want it or not and can afford it or not. Just be wary as most shareware releases were not from id or one of their publishers like gt. The artwork is usually the key. The unofficial releases tended to not use the real logo and official artwork. Unless you are super obsessed those are of no value.

21 hours ago, Morpheus666 said:

I have been scouring the internet for years trying to find a full version of Doom 1 on Floppydisk, to no avail, also can someone explain to me WHY THE FUCK is the 3rd book for the Doom novel series SO FUCKING EXPENSIVE?!?

Could be temporary inflation because of Eternal coming out soon? Not sure if UK has used book chains like Half Price Books, but I usually see them at places like that for about $4-$5.

Looks to me from reading all this that buying certain Doom releases in the mid-1990s might have been a much better bet than investing in the Dow Jones. I've also been a bit surprised at the prices being fetched by other gaming-related stuff on Ebay recently. Working Amiga CD32 consoles are on offer at £400+, and many of the games are listed at £30-60. Interesting as well to see a CD32 version of Doom 2 for sale as well, though I think it might have been an 'unofficial' copy.

Well, there are many ways to get those versions. First I bought me a GT Interactive shareware box on Ebay for 30 bucks and then I got the floppies months later for only 12 dollars. So with a lot of patience you can piece everything together at a good price.

Still on the lookout for a mail order box though. I've got the disks and the manual (still need the addendum), so if there's anyone here who can help me out...

But the price depends on how much you are willing to pay for a copy, you can go on Ebay now and buy one but it'll cost you something or be on the lookout for a good deal.

There's always the thrift store/garage sale route if you don't care how long it takes. I lucked out about two years ago and found big boxes of Ultimate Doom, Doom Collector's Edition, Final Doom, Quake 2, and Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel at a Goodwill in a nearby town. You could also see if there's a local retro game group on Facebook you can join. Its a good place to get word out that you are looking for certain games at the very least.

Using auction sites like eBay is good but some sellers are cowboys and are looking for silly prices for games and consoles and gaming accessories.

It can be easy to be misled on sites like eBay and you could potentially end up paying 3 or 4 times more than what something is worth. That's maybe an idea for a thread here, like a list of Doom games/stuff and their average price?

We don't use the term "Thrift store" here, we call them "Charity shops", but those kinds of places are sometimes good for stuff, and most times the prices are far more reasonable.

If you're looking to collect Doom stuff or are looking to expand your current collection then do so now as prices will just keep rising, especially as Doom will be 30 in a few years.

23 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

It can be easy to be misled on sites like eBay and you could potentially end up paying 3 or 4 times more than what something is worth. That's maybe an idea for a thread here, like a list of Doom games/stuff and their average price?

Adding to this, best thing to do for sites like eBay is type in what you want, then scroll down on the left side bar and select "sold items". That will give you a better idea for what the stuff actually goes for on average.

And almost two weeks after my post above, this popped up on my doorstep...

Ebay, box is damaged and has wear but is showable and with some minor refurbishing it'll turn out a bit better. Got it for 170 USD (after some bargaining, was at 199 first). Will actually cost me less because I'm selling the unboxed floppies and manual I already owned.

For me a plus was that the seller lives in Sweden and me in Belgium so no import taxes.

WP_20200206_15_30_49_Pro.jpg

On 1/25/2020 at 2:15 PM, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

The one shown in the linked image is authentic.

Confirmed by John Romero.

wdRSC6O.png

Edited by Diabolución

Hi everyone! I have a question I’m hoping someone could help me with.

I’ve got a copy of mail order Doom v 1.1, and it’s totally complete, including a receipt from id to the original buyer. I’ve had it for 6-7 years now, but one thing I’ve not been able to get to the bottom of is this: were these all shipped out sealed in shrink wrap? Or were some of the earliest copies sent hand packed in the cardboard without wrappings?

I have seen maybe one or two sealed copies come up in the last few years,  but I have seen a huge majority unsealed. I have also read (I believe it was on this forum, can’t find the thread), that some individuals who ordered theirs in the early 90’s received them from id without shrink wrapping.

Weird question, I know, but mine is in such great shape I’d like to have it framed in some kind of acrylic display.

I came across my old floppies, I got mail order back in 1993. The 5.25 floppies appear to be in excellent condition, the labels show really no wear but on discs 1 and 4 it is a bit raised in the center. Unfortunately don't have the manual or box. just curious what these are worth. Anyone have an idea?

Doom 5.25.jpg

Not sure how much they'd be worth in the grand scheme of things, but someone from the community would likely pay a reasonable sum to have those little pieces of history.

Oh, the friend of my dad that installed the registered version on my PC had those.

It brings back good memories seeing them :)

Years later he come back, upgraded our PC to pentiun 1, and installed ''The Lanwmower Man II: Cyber War''.
Seein that game was totally mindblowing, here is a gameplay footage.

It was more like an interactive movie, but a damn fine experience for sure.

Remember wanting to be a hacker like my dad's friend.

He was like Neo.

Black clad all year and sunglasses.

Man, Matrix was almost ten years aftar that.

Wonder if that was a regular trend between hackers.

Edited by P41R47

Based on what I can find on the handful of sites you can buy vintage software, if you knew they worked, somewhere between $100 and $200 (saw one scammer asking far more, but don’t use them as a basis of comparison). Given the lack of box and manual, that’s still a pretty penny! I think you’d need to be sure they still work though, or at least be explicitly clear that they’re untested.

On 3/8/2021 at 8:25 PM, cyberdemongang said:

Hi everyone! I have a question I’m hoping someone could help me with.

I’ve got a copy of mail order Doom v 1.1, and it’s totally complete, including a receipt from id to the original buyer. I’ve had it for 6-7 years now, but one thing I’ve not been able to get to the bottom of is this: were these all shipped out sealed in shrink wrap? Or were some of the earliest copies sent hand packed in the cardboard without wrappings?

I have seen maybe one or two sealed copies come up in the last few years,  but I have seen a huge majority unsealed. I have also read (I believe it was on this forum, can’t find the thread), that some individuals who ordered theirs in the early 90’s received them from id without shrink wrapping.

Weird question, I know, but mine is in such great shape I’d like to have it framed in some kind of acrylic display.

I would like to know this too, if they were shrink wrapped or not - 

Hello. I've been looking for the mail order version for a long time. I see ridiculous prices on some sites, of course its not acceptable. Does anyone have a "mail order version" and want to sell it at a reasonable price? :)

Best!

r3r2332.jpg

I just looked on eBay and saw someone selling it for $1,100. What a ripoff! It's rare, but not that rare. I saw people selling it for around $350 not too long ago.

There's a big classic gaming pirce bubble right now as a result of ongoing auction scams that should hopefully pop within the year.. Hopefully. That may be why you're only seeing such outrageous prices. However, "Doom" as a brand has also jumped up a fair bit in terms of both popularity and value, so that's another contributing factor.

Keep your eyes peeled and keep checking not just eBay, but any secondhand goods sites that serve your area.. It took my a few years of patience, but back in 2012 I finally ended up finding a decent condition copy of the Super Mario World bootleg for the Famicom, which has similarly jumped tenfold in value since.

Just to not leave you with literally nothing, here's a thread from just under 2 years ago where people are throwing out figures between 150 and 300. Adjusting for inflation and demand -- I would still say anything over 400 is absolutely, positively a ripoff. Even that much is more than I'd ever spend, even as a Doom obsessive.

20 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

There's a big classic gaming pirce bubble right now as a result of ongoing auction scams that should hopefully pop within the year.. Hopefully. That may be why you're only seeing such outrageous prices.

For context:

Nobody is going to give you something like that for a reasonable price. People that sell these either sell them for more than they’re worth because they think they’re worth a lot more than they are, or they sell them for more than they’re worth because they’re desperate for cash and hope someone is silly enough to cough up that much money. Someone is trying to sell boxed copies of DN3D, Blood, and Shadow Warrior as a bundle for nearly 6 grand, and it’s been on eBay for months now. This is not the time to be buying stuff like this, in my opinion, because there is no such thing as a fair price currently, and most fans that have something like this in their collection aren’t willing to sell. I agree with Doomkid that chances are prices will drop again eventually, but they won’t be as cheap as they were 10+ years ago ever again. 

It only costs $40 from iD software, mail them the cash and they'll get you the box.

Jokes aside, the least you can probably get it is $225