Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Recommend me Anime!

2 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

WELL, you only need one.. :)

h2iQDJr.jpg

Dude.

Nothing that well known (berserk,hnk etc.. we already watched most of them)

HNK means Hokuto no Ken, Japanese title of Fist of the North Star.

6 minutes ago, Li'l devil said:

SOSU created this thread in 2017 and it was dormant for years until Rudolph revived it. So this means Rudolph is practically the new OP and recommendations are primarily for him.

Well, I dunno if @Rudolph is bound to @SOSU's rules or not.

1 minute ago, Panzermann11 said:

Dude.

HNK means Hokuto no Ken, Japanese title of Fist of the North Star.

Oh damn, missed that, watch it again!

I am indeed familiar with Hokuto No Ken; in fact, I have referenced it multiple times on different threads over the past year or so and I even tried to roleplay as Kenshiro in some of my playthroughs of Fallout 1 and 2.

The premise itself is cool and memorable, but I cannot say that I enjoyed the manga and its anime adaptations. Still, Akira Kamiya's performance as Kenshiro is legendary and the original anime's soundtrack is also excellent.

Ha! Speaking of Hokuto No Ken, I have started watching Lastman:

It is technically not anime,  since it is French, but the influences - notably Hokuto No Ken - are undeniable. The animation can be a bit rough at times, but so far it is still nice and engaging, thanks to the witty, oftentimes sarcastic writing and the fact that the protagonist is nowhere near as invincible as Kenshiro. The English dub is pretty good and weirdly, I think it is more fitting than the original French dub, since for whatever reason the authors chose to set the series in the United States.

On 11/1/2017 at 10:43 PM, MrGlide said:

Outlaw Star.

I love this one, as well as its spin-off Angel Links. I also wholeheartedly recommend The Vision of Escaflowne.

I started watching The Apothecary Diaries, not sure why actually. Fortunately for me, it is very good so far!

Think of it as House, M.D., but the protagonist is a feisty, down-to-earth badass who uses her background as an apothecary to solve mysteries in the royal court of a Ming dynasty-inspired kingdom while serving as a concubine's lady-in-waiting.

Edited by Rudolph

Beast Machines: Transformers is not an anime, but I do not feel like starting a brand-new threads just for non-anime cartoons.

So far, my feelings about it are... complicated.

At first, I was pleased to see the Maximals back in their Beast Wars Season 1 beast forms, but since this is a glorified ad for toys (like every Transformers show), they soon get completely new designs, which are... questionable. At least, they are not downright ugly like their Transmetal forms... Also, since the story takes place on a dystopian Cybertron, the settings are mostly dark and lifeless urban landscape; I know it is justified by the plot, but I do miss the varied locales of Beast Wars - that is, before everything got turned into a wasteland.

The show starts off a bit bland as the Maximals can barely put up a fight and thus spend most of the time running away from hordes of mindless drones with terrible aim. Thankfully, new villains are quickly introduced in the form of the Vehicon Generals, who not only have unique personalities, but rather slick designs as well. Of course, they still cannot hold a handle to Beast Wars' Predacons, but they do make things more interesting, even more so when it is heavily implied that they are more to them than it seems.

Oh, and the soundtrack is really cool. Here is to hoping it keeps getting better!

Edited by Rudolph

Well, it's somewhat known here I think Devilman is one of the best pieces of media ever created, though it's more the original manga. The OAVs were essentially my introduction to anime (no wonder I became so hard to please) but they only partially adapt the manga. They are excellent though and Devilman vs Sirene in the second OVA is the best fight in the history of animation. I definitely suggest reading the manga. 

But speaking of other Devilman based animes, hmm. I think Crybaby is maybe best not to recommend. I didn't hate it, I mostly thought it was acceptable, but at the same time it definitely gets some things wrong. So I think Devilman Lady would be a better choice. It's just a different story entirely from its source, and it's a fascinating, different take on the Devilman concept. I've also been working on a prose adaptation of it for the last few years; something I probably won't do for anything else, given I plan to move onto original premises once I'm done with it. 

Other than that, some ones I think are solid:

Monster

Master Keaton

Black Lagoon

Witch Hunter Robin

Speed Grapher

Noir

Le Chevalier D'eon

Rune Soldier

Slayers

Record of Lodoss War

Full Metal Panic!

Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Mars Daybreak

009-1

Edited by hybridial

On 11/25/2023 at 7:09 PM, MrFroz said:

I love this one, as well as its spin-off Angel Links. I also wholeheartedly recommend The Vision of Escaflowne.

Bit late for me to reply to this but I do wish more was done with the Toward Stars universe.  A lot more I think could have been done with it but we only have Outlaw Star and Angel Links which are great, but there could have been even more!

Juuni Kokki/Kokuki (twelve kingdoms), the best isekai anime in existence, in my opinion.

Very good worldbuilding, relatively few plot holes.

Starts a bit weak though cause to make the arc of the protagonist girl complete, she had to be really pathetically whiny at first.

Oh, and it ended with an unfinished last season, but that would have sucked a bit anyway, so the second to last season is the last season.

And yes, I still consider it the best isekai anime despite those listed flaws. Disregard the last season and use the second to last at it, tough it through the first 2 episodes or 3, and you're good.

If you hate it afterwards still, then dropping it is probably best, but if you can stick with it, you'll most likely like it to the end.

I have many other recommendations but dropping only an isekai one, one of the most overdone and loathed genres now, is something that amuses me.

But yeah Juuni Kokki is great. It also shares some of the 'stock' music used in some of the Heroes of Might and Magic games, so, if you like the music in those, you'll get some extra nostalgia for free in JK.

Let's get these out of the way first. If you like Monster High and/or Sailor Moon these might be up your alley. However, they were made in Europe and not Japan. There are no child characters at all so you should be safe.

- Winks Club - A redhead teen finds out that she is a fairy and goes to magic school.

- W.i.t.c.h - A redhead teen finds out that she is a witch and goes to magic school.

If you like mobile suits and transforming mechs these my top picks. Some of these have already been mentioned but I want to mention them again because they are great.

Escaflowne - Written by the same person who penned Macross so it should be great.

- Macross/Robotech - High action space battles, what more could you ask for?

- Gundam Wing - Popular, yes, but it's Gundam Wing. Highly recommended for anyone who likes anime.

Then you have the Lodoss series. Spoiler the first two series have virtually the same plot, but they are still great on their own merit.

- Record of Lodoss War - Follows Parn and Deedlit and Karla the evil witch.

- Chronicles of the Heroic Knight - Follows Spark and Little Neese. To warn you there is a second part that is written as a satire of the first and is very cheesy, but the rest of the series is more grounded and has a great story.

Then you have the Banner/Crest of the Stars. I haven't watched much of it, but it's supposed to be really good.

17 minutes ago, Halfblind said:

A redhead teen finds out that she is a witch and goes to magic school.

Is that also not more or less the plot of My Little Witch Academia?

On 12/12/2023 at 10:59 AM, Lofwyr said:

Juuni Kokki/Kokuki (twelve kingdoms), the best isekai anime in existence, in my opinion.

Very good worldbuilding, relatively few plot holes.

I should have mentioned that, I forgot to. Yeah it's very good, it's an elaborate and well thought out fantasy story. 

I know you asked for recommendations for anime, but I'm gon tell you, don't ever watch no anime called "boku". Don't do it.

18 minutes ago, act said:

I know you asked for recommendations for anime, but I'm gon tell you, don't ever watch no anime called "boku". Don't do it.

Why is that?

1 hour ago, act said:

YOU DON'T WANNA KNOW MAN

Well, how am I supposed to avoid something if I do not know what it is? :S

6 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Well, how am I supposed to avoid something if I do not know what it is? :S

i gave you the name dude, dont ever watch no anime called Boku okay.

25 minutes ago, act said:

i gave you the name dude, dont ever watch no anime called Boku okay.

But what if I stumble upon a similar anime that does not have "Boku" in the title?

@Rudolph, I think he meant "Boku no Pico". It's... well... I'm probably gonna get myself in serious trouble if I go into details.

Edited by Panzermann11

Alright, you have given me no choice but to look it up on Wikipedia. Now I see what you mean... :x

It is not as shocking as I expected it to be, though; I mean, I already made the mistake of reading Gunsmith Cats, with its cast of prepubescent-looking young women soon finding themselves at odds with a pedophile crime boss. -_-

Another recommendation if looking for something more interesting/avant garde:

"Invaders of the Rokujouma?!" - It is a harem romcom anime, but also one of the very few (if not the only one) that makes a somewhat serious attempt to explore a world where not only ghosts and supernatural phenomena can exist, science fiction elements, aliens and magical girls can also coexist. Give it a watch; it will be worth your time. Give the LNs a shot if you like the anime.

(The premise does sound similar to Dandadan (Shounen Jump manga, anime comes out in 2024) or A Certain Magical Index, although neither appears to mix elements to the level of that anime, although the latter is more similar to it).

12 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Alright, you have given me no choice but to look it up on Wikipedia. Now I see what you mean... :x

It is not as shocking as I expected it to be, though; I mean, I already made the mistake of reading Gunsmith Cats, with its cast of prepubescent-looking young women soon finding themselves at odds with a pedophile crime boss. -_-

I'm going to be honest, I just saw this video

https://invidious.slipfox.xyz/watch?v=0T6go6EOuG4

On 10/13/2023 at 4:47 PM, Lizardcommando said:

Paranoia Agent

Oh, I have recently started watching this one. It is from the late Satoshi Kon and it sure shows!

Such a shame that the guy died so young. :(