Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
K3K

What went wrong with NewDoom?

I'm almost proud that our community was the spawning pool that Fiffy crawled out of into internet infamy.

VGA said:

lmfao

Was he putting elevators in his doom maps? Sometimes smooth, sometimes rough?

I think I only played two of his maps but I don't remember any elevators. His later gimmick was making awful looking slopes out of insane numbers of sectors (this was in the Boom days before ZDoom slopes). He bragged about how you needed a reol tough machine to run his masterpeice levels. Someone figured out that his maps ran like shit because he never created reject tables for them.

What maps did he do that in? I remember playing them way back, and a room was like, 6-10 sectors forming 90% of the room, and a garish, 400 sector abscess filling up the other 10%.

The guy is a fucking National Treasure. I wish an indie film crew would follow him around for a month and cover everything. Somethingawful, his mapping career, the psychotic elevator obsession, all the iterations of his MS Paint, flash abortion website. Just let him completely let loose and tell the King Reol saga from his perspective and it would be cinema gold.

I don't have a PC handy to check, but the name Sudden Death is vaguely familiar and the '00 upload date seems right: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/0-9/6fiffy5

The map I remember had a horrible MS Paint sky with fluffy (Fiffy?) clouds on a cyan background.

This one has a warning about EXTREME DETAIL: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/0-9/6fiffy3

david_a said:

This one has a warning about EXTREME DETAIL..[/url]

I took a peep in that map with GZDoom Builder. His 'extreme detail' archways look pretty nice. That's 64 sectors to make the angled arch dealies

Some of the other sector based slopes in the map don't look as good. I actually thought there was going to be more of that throughout the map but he seems to only have tried that in a couple areas.

I'll eat my words on that one. The slopes are actually pretty well done, given the sheer amount of work that must went into them. All those alignments must have been a massive pain in the balls. It has been 15 years since I last saw them

Wow, that looks really nice. I might have to play that when I decide to play Doom wads again

Okay, those Revenants were cruel, but WHAT THE FUCK is up with that Arch-Vile encounter?

lol Clonehunter. I don't know, haven't played it. The last time I played a REoL map, many years ago, I said the same thing with a cyberdemon encouter. All I recall is being on a thin ledge, against a wall above lava, trying to shoot a cyberdemon and I probably rage quit and never went back. haha

Probably get away with 24 or 32 sectors for those arches and still look decent.

I remember using a sorta similar technique make the bookshelf texture in Doom into "3D". The alignment of the textures on all of those sectors did my head in. The shelves were done with Legacy's 3D floors.

I tried making a bit of rock wall look angled with the technique and gave up. haha. Do you still have the 3D bookcase map Planky? I would like to see that.

I remember making up some sort of hacked config file so that I could create Legacy's 3D floors in DoomCad 5.1. I used to make 3D tables, chairs and stuff with it. Then CodeImp gave us the gift of Doom Builder.

Long gone Im afraid. Most the stuff I made was just me tinkering, nothing released.

Ahh I see Planky. I don't know how much stuff I lost over the years. Half baked Half-Life maps, bits of Quake and Quake 2 levels and a few Doom ones as well... oh and that HeXen project I was working on got flushed down the electronic shitter somewhere.

Planky said:

Long gone Im afraid. Most the stuff I made was just me tinkering, nothing released.

Yeah, can't even find the full size screenshot now. Just the thumbnail available on archive.org:

Might be a bit too small to see the 3D sectors, heh.

Doom Dude said:

I remember making up some sort of hacked config file so that I could create Legacy's 3D floors in DoomCad 5.1. I used to make 3D tables, chairs and stuff with it. Then CodeImp gave us the gift of Doom Builder.

Do you still remember how to?

The whole NewDoom thing fills me with sadness. I had the dubious pleasure of wmull's acquiantance before newdoom was founded, back on 'planethexen' as I think it was called. (Don't think it was ravengames yet.) I think we were both involved in a mod called "Dungeon Break" for Hexen 2. But yeah, I was particularly upset when Legacy moved to Newdoom, but that little sub-community was pretty cool despite the larger site's/owners craziness. And Mr_Rocket of course, who was a trooper.

Having said all that I'd rather have doomnation back.

Planky said:

darknation said:

Nice to see you guys still around!

Superluigieth1 said:

Do you still remember how to?

Yeah, I still have the files which I found recently among my doom stuff. It was basically just adding the linetypes to DoomCads .ini files.

Clonehunter said:

Wow, that looks really nice. I might have to play that when I decide to play Doom wads again

It's taken us 15+ years to realise: REoL was ahead of his time!!!1

Jon said:

The prophecy always said that he would balance the force...

Jon said:

Are you REoL TOUGH?!