Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Torn

Which level editor do you prefer most?

Which level editor do you prefer most?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which level editor do you prefer most?

• Deepsea
    • Wad Author
    • Deth/Zeth
    • DCK
    • Edmap
    • Waded
    • Why
    • DoomCAD
    • XWE
    • DMapEdit
    • other

would a mod mind add XWE, Doom CAD and WHY to the list?.

edit: thanks.

WadAuthor
Most user-friendly wad editor I guess
If only it'd be updated...

Use3D said:

rofl, right because only rich people can spare 20 bucks to upgrade software they probably use more than anything else.

Right! And it'd certainly be worth paying $20 on the chance that it has an option to turn it off. Not to mention the update may have a wonderful array of new bugs and crashes, like how one version completely crashed out if you tried to edit sectors (with Win2K)!

Not to mention I only make about $280/mo and half that is for car insurance and other things.

Don't get me wrong, the editor is great.
I would buy it if it were around 15 bucks, but it isn't!
That's why i'm wondering if there is a crack...

lowlandsrouter said:

Don't get me wrong, the editor is great.
I would buy it if it were around 15 bucks, but it isn't!
That's why i'm wondering if there is a crack...

lmao, this was just a matter of time.

btw, DETH.

deep'll get mad at you for that.
And the mods might get onto you for warez or something.
Hang low for a while, I suggest.

Or apologize. =P

It is not a good idea to ask for warez around here. I know there's a whole lot of people here who don't believe they should have to pay for a map editor (especially since there are many others that are in fact free), but asking for a registered copy of deepsea in these forums is much the same as asking for a copy of the full version of Doom or the leaked Doom 3 "demo".

Ichor said:

...asking for a registered copy of deepsea in these forums is much the same as asking for a copy of the full version of Doom or the leaked Doom 3 "demo".

not to me it isn't. doom is worth the $5 cost, and everyone should own a copy by now i hope :P deepsea on the other hand costs a ridiculous $39 with $25 updates, as opposed to most editors which cost $0. it's a little harder to feel guilty distributing a warez copy of deepsea imo.

sargebaldy said:

it's a little harder to feel guilty distributing a warez copy of deepea imo.

Yeah, but don't forget: the id Software staff has more Ferraris than you can count on your fingers, while Deepteam's everyday life is a battle of life and death against the disastrous lack of money. Who's really in better need of the cash?

Fredrik said:

Who's really in better need of the cash?

deep makes money from things besides deepsea. most editors operate on a "donate me money because i'm so nice for giving you a free editor" kind of policy. and these editors were made when the mapping community was far larger than it is today.

Fredrik said:

the id Software staff has more Ferraris than you can count on your fingers

why would you buy directly from id software when you can buy from some bloke on ebay who'll give you a far lower price?

deep makes money from things besides deepsea. most editors operate on a "donate me money because i'm so nice for giving you a free editor" kind of policy. and these editors were made when the mapping community was far larger than it is today.

Whatever. People should still be allowed to charge money for stuff they've made.

why would you buy directly from id software when you can buy from some bloke on ebay who'll give you a far lower price?

Heh, id doesn't get any money from that so that's not different from warezing.

Fredrik said:

Whatever. People should still be allowed to charge money for stuff they've made.

i didn't argue they shouldn't. but it's only capitalistic for people to avoid paying prices that are overwhelming.

Fredrik said:

Heh, id doesn't get any money from that so that's not different from warezing.

uhh.. so you're saying purchasing software over ebay is illegal? you do realize that someone had to buy it from id originally i hope? that's like saying buying used cars is illegal because ford doesn't make any money off of it O_o

you do realize that someone had to buy it from id originally i hope?

Yes, but id Software is not making any money off your enjoyment of the game. I didn't say illegal - but it's not ethical.

Fredrik said:

Yes, but id Software is not making any money off your enjoyment of the game. I didn't say illegal - but it's not ethical.

you implied illegal by using the word "warezing" which to me means illegally obtaining software. and how is it "unethical"? by having the money go to id, i'd be supporting three people who worked on doom, and a dozen or more who did not. when i bought doom, it was from a retailer at $40, but thankfully id was the team that made doom back in those days.

sargebaldy said:

you implied illegal by using the word "warezing" which to me means illegally obtaining software. and how is it "unethical"? by having the money go to id, i'd be supporting three people who worked on doom, and a dozen or more who did not. when i bought doom, it was from a retailer at $40, but thankfully id was the team that made doom back in those days.

yeah, Think of paying 15$ every month for play doom. That would have killed the doom community...

heh.

you implied illegal by using the word "warezing" which to me means illegally obtaining software.

I said that obtaining the software from an indirect source is not different from warezing in the sense that the creator doesn't get any money for it.

BTW, YHBT YHL HAND.

Fredrik said:

I said that obtaining the software from an indirect source is not different from warezing in the sense that the creator doesn't get any money for it.

heh, giving money to id would hardly be giving money to the "creator". to do that i might as well take $10 and split it up between the people who actually worked on doom (whether currently working at id or not) instead.

I paid $35 for Deepsea v10.20, and I must say it was the best 35 bucks i have ever spent. I don't really agree to the $20 upgrade thing, but I might end up sparing that money for version 12.46 or whatever :)

Deepsea does everything you would ever want in a .wad editor/manager. Nuff said.

EarthQuake said:

Deepsea does everything you would ever want in a .wad editor/manager. Nuff said.

you can do anything with a few different free editors combined as well O_o and despite it's zillion features it skips right over some steps that i prefer doing by hand.

The human race has survived thus far, why be logic now? :)

Scuba Steve said:

Is it OK to say DMapedit?

yes

heh, "WA is the only logical choice".. no one ever switches from that editor because it's so bizarre and simple. personally i can't see how anyone can want to skip over the drawing phase of designing a level.

Nanami said:

although I admit I let someone else add new textures to an existing wad because I'm not sure how to do it very well

That's weird, cos that's the only thing I can do with DeePsea! (well, that's all I use it for - oh, and for adding midi lumps to a wad)

WadAuthor for me.