Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2013 - 54 maps - /idgames link

walter confalonieri said:

http://www.mediafire.com/?95occw5wyp9mb1m

fixed my map of the few errors i found in it...

anyway, played your map mionicdonut, not sure if many of the errors are intentional, but it's a cool map!

If its in a finished product, it is intentional. ;)

DooMAD said:

Here's what I've got so far:

http://www.teamhellspawn.com/dw_mega_2013.zip

Suggestions welcome as I've not managed to come up with a coherent layout yet.

Midi is a Carcass track if anyone was curious.

Carcass, eh? I don't suppose you can get your mitts on some MIDI songs from Symphonies of Sickness? =D The layout's pretty good so far, although whatever I suggest is pretty much what I'd do and not what you'd do. :P

Obsidian said:

Carcass, eh? I don't suppose you can get your mitts on some MIDI songs from Symphonies of Sickness? =D The layout's pretty good so far, although whatever I suggest is pretty much what I'd do and not what you'd do. :P

The midi's been on my HDD since 2010, so I can't even remember where I got that one from, heh. Can't see any tracks from that album, sadly.

walter confalonieri said:

ok...

http://speedy.sh/MzbjA/LETSROCK.wad

Im just screwing with you. I'm keeping the off textures, I like that air of ridiculousness, but I think it would behoove me to 3d preview next time I make a map..there were some pretty major goofs.

Deadline to join/submit is December 31, no ifs, ands, or big butts.

There's lots of room for more mappers (the goal is over 40 mappers). Feel free to use a secret pseudonym if you don't want your real name to be used, I'll keep it a secret.

Hmm, maybe I can finally wrap up my HoS map from however long ago and turn it in. Surprised this is the first I'm hearing of this project though

Level name : Steak streak
Slot : MAP21 (for the hell sky)
Author(s) : Ilya Lazarev
Build time : 2 weeks
editor(s) used : Doom Builder 2
Music track : "Deep into the code" by Bobby Prince
Playtesting : Ammo only.
Bugs : I have no idea
Inspiration : E3 of doom
Author's comments : E3 style in an overly-fleshy theme. (No difficulties and no new things)
Compability: Boom
Download : https://www.mediafire.com/?j4x5jgxy2igxi9u

TimeOfDeath said:

If you want to use the E3 sky, you should use the sky transfer action. You can use this sky transfer prefab, set SKY3 for all the textures, and copy/paste it into your map.

Why isn't that possible to put the into E3 instead?

The map order is organized by map format, followed by submission date. However, it looks like your map will be map23 so far, so it's ok.

It's time to step out of darkness.

Level name : Ex Tenebris
Author(s) : Demonologist
Build time : About 1 week
Editor(s) used : Doom Builder 2, Slade 3.02
Compatibility: Boom
Music track : Blood
Playtesting : Oh yes
Bugs : None known
Inspiration : Quake
Author's comments : Cruel medium-sized map, absolutely linear and simple in terms of progression, arena-based/setpiece-oriented in gameplay department. Main layout was born after another Quake overdose, so visuals and texture choices shouldn't be surprising. There are plenty of powerups and supplies scattered throughout the map since I tried to reduce the luck factor and leave some room for mistakes, but if you're too careless - you'll waste everything in a matter of seconds. I also did my best to remove all gamebreaking possibilities for coop play, but haven't tested it. Should be playable at least. Keep in mind though that no extra multiplayer things were added.

Download

E: Spotted little HOM in the last area, link updated.

Extremely nice map, I loved the detail, texturing and the 'quake' kind of feel to the whole map; but jesus christ it's like chillax 2.0 up in there with all the monsters that are thrown at you. Definitely intended for co-op gameplay.

Thanks, it's actually intended for single play and, subsenquently, for maniacs who love it the hard way, myself included. But if you want to give it a whirl in coop - be my guest and feel free to report any issues you might find since I haven't played it any other way rather than on my own.

Replaying that first segment is really a bore. And you have to play it at least 2 times since you didn't give away anything to hide behind when the AV's entered. The torches were really annoyingly blocking the stimpaks.

hihi,

fun map, after dying ~4-5 times in the first room (while figuring out what to do, afterwards was able to beat it consistently) I decided to play through with saves. Pretty interesting traps, not overly difficult, only died about 5-6 times after that while learning the rest of the map (with the exception of the "ending" which I'll complain about later). Some critiques/opinions/whatever:

- was it really necessary for the switch after getting PG (which released AVs) to release even more AVs?
- the 4-way symmetric room with the cyb in the center: I felt I had little incentive to actually kill it.. I just hit switches and ran past. idk, would be nice if at some point you could get back out there (after doing the demon/rev stairs area maybe).
- demon stairs: with enough initial PG ammo this one was kind of a snoozefest, rev/AV part was fun though.
- this fight... idk. Immediately jumping into one of the pits and just circle-strafing seemed like an optimal strategy. The only focus then is taking out AVs in the middle while they infight with other stuff. The demon/cyb ledge didn't seem very necessary, past blocking your access to the next area I suppose. I'm not entirely sure what my complaint is, maybe just that such a high-monster count fight can be beaten easily by running around in a pit :p
- It's almost a long-running joke at this point to end a slaughtermap with a brick of AVs, but not like I'm one to talk..
- The "fake" ending, dear lord. I was like 98% sure that portal would be an exit, and abandoned any sense of ammo/health conservation, which you can imagine left me in a tight spot for the 3rd batch of AVs to plague that starting rev room -.- I guess with foreknowledge it wouldn't be too huge of a deal, but it's very dickish even by my standards :p

btw the map felt like a cross between Phml (heavy symmetry, orthogonal detailing with quake textures) and Krypto (rape rape rape rape rape, occasional weirdly shaped arena) mapping style, eenteresting :)

Dark and creepy screenshot =) I will try he map later tonight, most probably. Also, please check your PM's, Demonologist =)

dannebubinga said:

Replaying that first segment is really a bore. And you have to play it at least 2 times since you didn't give away anything to hide behind when the AV's entered. The torches were really annoyingly blocking the stimpaks.

I did foresee that. Actually there were several setups for this area, but all of them were really boring, so eventually I landed on the one you see now since it's somewhat entertaining. I agree it's cruel and it may get really annoying to beat it time after time in case of failure, but get me right - my intention was to make this part something else rather than trivial 'run in circles and shoot stuff'. I think I succeeded in that department but sacrificed replayability.
Regarding AVs - sorry, but that's intentional. I guess the whole map could be annoying without prior knowledge, but I never meant it to be exactly easy (still, it varies in difficulty, I'm aware of that and that's the way I wanted it). You can run for cover without losing any health, but then you will also have to deal with resurrected revs, or, if you're healthy/risky enough, you may try to dispatch them right away. But yes, there is no immediate cover so this trap is dickish.
Torches and stimpacks... uh. Maybe, actually never had much of an issue with them.

But thanks for your input anyway, more things to think about.

Ribbiks said:

- was it really necessary for the switch after getting PG (which released AVs) to release even more AVs?

*laughs*
I guess so... Well, I have to apologize for my sudden flashes of misanthropy that affect everything I do. Seems like danne felt them as well. Though if you think these AVs are too much of an issue - I can remove or replace them.

Ribbiks said:

- the 4-way symmetric room with the cyb in the center: I felt I had little incentive to actually kill it.. I just hit switches and ran past. idk, would be nice if at some point you could get back out there (after doing the demon/rev stairs area maybe)

You can revisit the whole map after getting teleported back into the starting area. I'm actually okay with skipping fights (though of course I tried to make sure everything's killable), so if you feel like it - feel free to run.

Ribbiks said:

- demon stairs: with enough initial PG ammo this one was kind of a snoozefest, rev/AV part was fun though.

Yep, I know. Kind of a breather shootout without much thought put into it. And you got it right - AV/rev setup is really what this area is intended for.

Ribbiks said:

Immediately jumping into one of the pits and just circle-strafing seemed like an optimal strategy. The only focus then is taking out AVs in the middle while they infight with other stuff. The demon/cyb ledge didn't seem very necessary, past blocking your access to the next area I suppose. I'm not entirely sure what my complaint is, maybe just that such a high-monster count fight can be beaten easily by running around in a pit :p

I'm not exactly proud of that fight myself, a little awkward, but I like it the way it is. Then again you're right - it's all there just to impede player's progress for some time. Not the best motivation for a slaughter fight maybe, but still. And I actually like that touch added by bridge AVs.

Ribbiks said:

- It's almost a long-running joke at this point to end a slaughtermap with a brick of AVs

Heh, yeah. Just something to prevent you from just running past. Again. They're not too much of a threat anyway since they're easily camped.

Ribbiks said:

The "fake" ending, dear lord. I was like 98% sure that portal would be an exit, and abandoned any sense of ammo/health conservation, which you can imagine left me in a tight spot for the 3rd batch of AVs to plague that starting rev room -.- I guess with foreknowledge it wouldn't be too huge of a deal, but it's very dickish even by my standards :p

And that's what makes me proud, haha! Wasn't it beautiful?
Seriously though, it's far from that 'joke' in BK's Last cup of sorrow. But I wanted the ending to be slightly discouraging.

Ribbiks said:

btw the map felt like a cross between Phml (heavy symmetry, orthogonal detailing with quake textures) and Krypto (rape rape rape rape rape, occasional weirdly shaped arena) mapping style, eenteresting :)

Well, heh, I actually think the same about it. It's so boring to make trivial and overtly 'clean' things...
Hope you liked it a little after all.

@ darkreaver: I'll be glad to hear some things from ya.

To all: thanks for your feedback, it's important for me. Don't get me wrong: if you think some things in here are too much - I still may figure something out regarding them. I only don't want to touch layout anymore because I already spent too much time toying with it.
Thanks for caring!

None So Vile.

Source port: Vanilla compatible
Music: D_EVIL from Hacx(hopefully no-one minds)
Textures: Stock textures only
Difficulties: Yes
Co-op: Player starts only
Deathmatch: Player starts only

You'll never guess what monsters I used in this. :P The map itself is a temple-style map: somehow I ended up channeling traditional video games while I was making it, so there's a bit of emphasis on traps and platforming. Have fun! >:-D

Is that a Cryptopsy reference?

With that map, we're up to 40 maps this year, tying last year's map total. Others seem to be working on maps and I've started mine, so it looks like we'll have more than 40 this year. Can we get more than 50?