Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2013 - 54 maps - /idgames link

^ I tried your map but got stuck here:

I crossed all W1 Door open/close linedefs and then there was no way to open the door. You should replace your W1 door actions with WR ones. (W1 means that you can activate it only once, WR means that you can do that repeatedly)

Megatron said:

Twilight of the Gods

That's beautiful! Can't speak for gameplay because I've only had a chance to have a quick run around, but this kind of thing is right up my alley.

@Megatron HOLY SHIT my map is worthless now. I haven't even played it yet but it's awesome.

Hurricyclone said:

HOLY SHIT my map is worthless now. I haven't even played it yet but it's awesome.

That's one hell of a funny sentence.

Twilight of the Gods

At first I liked the layout on this one. Judicious slope usage certainly can make basic terrain look much better and interesting. I like how the borders were color-coded with two shades of green, too - dunno if you did this purely for detail or if the following was intended, but I thought it was a pretty smart way to tell the player he's closing in to an edge without forcing him to look around all the time during a fight.

Not so big on how it actually played out. Most of the time, I ran around looking for the next trigger to flip, and the map is fairly big to cross. At times it felt like there was no visual indications whatsoever of where I was supposed to go.

The fights were... Eh. There are Doom monsters, you shoot them, is how I'd sum it up. Problem being this is a very large map, there's comparatively few monsters in that very large space, and monster pathing isn't so hot with slopes (the first two cyberdemons were actually stuck on those big brown slopes near the start area in my playthrough). If you backpedal to the other end of the map, you could literally go get yourself a drink and be back in time before they catch up to you. It's easy to the point of being tedious, and as I spent more time figuring out which way to go to flip a switch than killing stuff, the main area outstayed its welcome about half of the way in. I didn't even bother picking up the megaspheres.

And then you get to the final area, with stealth revenants and instakill lava. Quite the difficulty spike. Instakills are just bad in general, as far as I'm concerned; and to have them tied to your regular lava texture we're used to take 5 or 10 or 20 damage from? Nah. Lava being merely damaging would be an efficient deterrent (with switches outside of the ring, or moved to the outer wall, so their shots would still hit the player), and a more interesting one at that (you get some extra space if you really need to, but it's going to cost you HP, so it's a balancing act).

The layout is cool but it just feels too big and open for any fight to be interesting as is; anything less than ridiculously spammy with monsters or stingy with resources wouldn't be threatening, and beyond that point the player would just pick somewhere to camp. If there were more stuff obstructing line of sight (even something as simple as 96 pixels high rocks on the roads, or twists and turns in those roads with giant pillar-like structures sitting in the water between), and if ammo caches triggered predictably as the map went on along with just enough monster pressure to make it so you couldn't grab everything at once and just pick a spot and set camp there, this might make it possible to craft some pretty interesting fights with the setting.

As for the final area, seemed like a missed opportunity to me. The fireball switches were by far the coolest part of the whole thing, and it seemed too bad they weren't used more (esp. as you had the whole "switch gods" vibe going since early on). You could have some kind of cool pattern boss fight in there, with switches lightning up (as if activated) in order as they get ready to start shooting.

I know you said it's mostly done so I don't expect you to do any of that, even on the off chance you happened to agree with my perspective. Just indulging myself, thinking of what I'd liked to see. It seemed like a cool concept and I love seeing Doom maps exploring stuff like slopes and the 3D dimension in a way conductive to slightly different gameplay experiences, so I criticize because I care. :)

Twilight of the Gods: I agree with pretty much all of what Phml said, plus I would add that I wasn't impressed with the standard water surrounding the terrain being damaging. Not sure what can be done about the fights and switches in the main part as per Phml's feedback, but it's a pretty cool map visually regardless.

I'm signing up. Expect my map to be submitted soon, with custom textures and all! Also, the map submissions so far seem interesting.

I pretty much agree with everything phml said as well, all good observations / ideas. I'll work in what I can. It's only 4 or so days old, I have plenty of time.

Yeah I wonder how he could miss these corpses. :) Here is my attempt. You may skip like the first 10 minutes, they are terrible. :p

I will start my map soon. Its not going to be anything serious. It will be more experimental than anything. Just going to have some fun with the map editor.

I started doing some FDAs, except they're actually SDAs since I played them already, so here: dmp2013-demos1.zip (has slow maxes for xa-stove, brick-break, Yergon)

I also tried Hurricyclone's map but I think it's designed for GL mode and my comp can't run GL so I didn't do a demo for it (it's hella dark in software mode).

Here's my quick crap I want to contribute.

Name: 1024x32x10x10x3x2x1Monster
Author: Katamori
Build time : 2 (and a half) hours
Editor(s) used: Doom Builder 2
Sourceport : Boom, tested on PrBoom+.

Music: no custom music; put to the slot whereever you want.
Playtesting: three attempts to finish it. Nothing else.
Bugs: maybe.
Inspiration : See below.
Author's comments:

- 1024x1024 available map size
- only 32 unit grid was used in DB2
- 10 used textures (5 flats, 5 wall textures)
- 10 sectors (!)
- 2 type of supplies
- made under 2 hours
- 1 monster type

I used every map restrictions I've seen during my Doom experiences, except 1tag (but it's kinda close) and 100lines. The result is kinda crap, but mostly because I didn't want to do much details and playtesting. Also, I don't that there was anyone dumb enough to combine these "rules" this way. Hope you like it!

Hurricyclone said:

In that case, can I adjust the brightness in my map then?

Like, from 100 to 132 maybe?

Only if you want to, it's your map. Also, in vanilla/boom the sector brightnesses only go up after 16, so 100 is the same as 96 and 132 is the same as 128.

@Katamori Just a quick play and I noticed that the Chaingunners can open the blue door from their side. I also got caged in after the blue door for some reason and I couldn't get out.

Obsidian: probably because all doors have the same sector, so they open in the same time.

Some "Block Monster" tag would be helpful anyway.

Cage bug will be fixed too. the link is gonna be updated.

I liked C3N09's little map with the big brown brick textures. Here is a mapper that has improved markedly.

Work has started on my map. It will be a Boom compatible map and my first map in Doom Builder 2.1 (I am still getting used to this editor)

I have written a midi file for the map, its a remix of popular songs used in many wads released in the past.

cannonball said:

Here is my map called Death Metal

it's called death metal and there's no actual death metal soundtrack? :/