Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Black Mesa Source footage here!

Can somebody tell me why iron sights are such a big deal?You don't even need to use the feature...

DooM_RO said:

Can somebody tell me why iron sights are such a big deal?You don't even need to use the feature...

That's not the point. They are in a game that did not previously feature them. You don't need to use them, but the element does not belong there in the first place.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if BM: Source turns into the next Duke Nukem Forever: A game that has been broken down and rebuilt so many times that the team lost focus.

Mr. Freeze said:

That's not the point. They are in a game that did not previously feature them. You don't need to use them, but the element does not belong there in the first place.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if BM: Source turns into the next Duke Nukem Forever: A game that has been broken down and rebuilt so many times that the team lost focus.

Well if you hate them so much, just disable them in the menu, you'll be able to.

Mr. Freeze said:

But Duke didn't have Iron Sights at least (Though it had that Zoom feature like Doom 3's)

Obviously you are going to extremes, but an early release of Odamex that was way under people's expectations set the project back a long way. It made those from the other engines who anticipated it look down on it, publicly rip it (swaying others' opinions along the way, even if they hadn't tried it themselves) and it took a long time (years) and a lot of work to build it back up. It also beat down some team members' morale which ultimately lead to them leaving the project.

Lizardcommando said:

I didn't even know iron sights were available in Half-Life. :/

Iron sights were in Call of Duty which as everyone knows is the devil himself. Therefore any game that uses iron sights is the son of the devil.

I'm not even kidding here by the way. That tends to be the general reason why people hate iron sights. They're featured in those "cancerous modern games" so using them is terrible.

Iron sights aren't a bad feature at all, as long as the game doesn't play like rotten codfish. All it really boils down to is another form of weapon zoom/scope. How about FPS games from the late 90's with sniper rifles? Since you used what's basically a form of iron sights, are those games cancerous modern filth as well?

The problem with iron sights allegedly is that the game design is altered around it so that regular shooting is much less accurate. Else you wouldn't need to use it at all. Not saying this is the case with Black Mesa though.

GeckoYamori said:

The problem with iron sights allegedly is that the game design is altered around it so that regular shooting is much less accurate. Else you wouldn't need to use it at all. Not saying this is the case with Black Mesa though.

This is my concern. Say what you want about HL2 but at least Valve didn't fuck around with the way the weapons "handled" and shooting things still felt like a HL game. I hope BMS doesn't change things that don't need to be changed.

DoomUK said:

This is my concern. Say what you want about HL2 but at least Valve didn't fuck around with the way the weapons "handled" and shooting things still felt like a HL game. I hope BMS doesn't change things that don't need to be changed.

In BMS, the iron sights are only there to make the zoom feature a bit more interesting, so it's just a visual change. You can disable it in the menu.

DooM_RO said:

You can disable it in the menu.

We keep getting back to this. Why include it in the first place if it doesn't really change anything besides a cosmetic difference?

To be fair, the cosmetic differences between Black Mesa Source and HL1 is the entire premise of the project, I think. Isn't it? I mean I think iron sights are dumb too but that question doesn't really pose a very strong reason to take it away.

40oz said:

To be fair, the cosmetic differences between Black Mesa Source and HL1 is the entire premise of the project, I think. Isn't it? I mean I think iron sights are dumb too but that question doesn't really pose a very strong reason to take it away.

For some reason I've always thought the shotgun in Doom to be aimed down the sights, particularly after doing so in Crysis 2 and noting the similarities, even the pumping animation was familiar. Oh yeah and the pistol too.

Some more info!

We've made the ironsights functionality an option that you can choose in the main menu, it's on by default.

We previously had two sets of voices for human grunts; a deeper, more gruff one for commanders, and a younger, cleaner one for regular grunts and medics. We've now given regular grunts the badass gruff voice as well, and all voices have had a radio-static filter applied.

As a result, all human grunts now wear gasmasks.
We are re-recording the human grunts scripted dialogue (i.e. scripted sequences, not their idle/combat chatter).

We have replaced the song in this battle with an alternate track, one that's darker and more aggressive.

Taken from http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?p=474947#post474947

Well the perspective for Doom's shotgun looks crazy to begin with. The one in the alpha is way better except that it makes his hand look like a balloon.

Interesting fact, neither the crossbow nor the (multi-player) revolver in the original Half-Life had "iron sights". They had this outlandish feature known as a "secondary fire mode", specifically, they had something called "zoom". The crossbow even had this weird thing called a "scope", which must have been borrowed from the Xen dimension, being far too advanced for human weaponry.

If this all sounds too insane, I'll be here for support should you need it. The shock was nearly unbearable for me as well, but I somehow managed.

Edit - grammar fix 'em up