Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Doom 3 OR Quake 4?

Clonehunter said:

I was always bothered by the fact that there were fat zombies, but no fat civilians. Are they supposed to be bloated corpses?

They ate all the billy goat burgers and drag all the robo-colas!

Speaking of fat zombies,
Has anyone noticed that in Critical Missions Swat (iOS and Android), an earlier version used the fat zombie and imp models for zombies and monsters respectively?
Now CMS is shit.

Voros said:

Speaking of fat zombies,
Has anyone noticed that in Critical Missions Swat (iOS and Android), an earlier version used the fat zombie and imp models for zombies and monsters respectively?
Now CMS is shit.

Never heard of that game .

I never finished Quake 4. It just didn't hold my attention like other games at that time.

I'm playing through Doom 3 right now, and I love it, but I realize that my love of all things Doom may have blinded me. Either way, it certainly keeps me entertained unlike Quake.

Honestly, Quake 4 was just a really crappy game. The artwork was just gross and the gameplay wasn't anything special.

I had very high hopes for it as somebody who sunk many hours into Quake 2, especially the multiplayer, but I was very disappointed.

It'd be nice to see a Quake reboot that goes back to the Quake 2 roots...

Quake 4 is basically Call of Quake, with boring weak vehicles in linear paths and all. Doom 3 is much better.

Quake 4 was from a time before the first modern CoD game "CoD4" and it in no way feels like CoD in the gameplay department.

Doom 3 isn't linear?

In my opinion Quake 4 has better designs for weapons and monsters, the best gunplay and the best story(which isn't much anyways).

But if i had to choose then i'd probably pick Prey.

Personally I hate how quake4 done tank/mech/truck sections. i wonder would it be possible to make them better, even if not in mod - just to have clear concept.

I like Quake4 design of most stuff. Basic strogg soldiers could be more like ones from Quake2 (helmet and armor design). They were too much "borg" for me, but it's just my rant. Rest of strogg army is cool. I like a lot level design, guns, characters, light, sound on most maps. Maybe trenches part could be bigger, it would be cool to see more giant structures based on stone and concrete. Part on Hannibal ship was cool. If I could change anything in levels I would like to have more sections without friendly marines (or just let them be in small parts of maps) plus levels that are designed more like False Dawn, more open with many non linear objectives.

Avoozl said:

Quake 4 was from a time before the first modern CoD game "CoD4" and it in no way feels like CoD in the gameplay department.

Cod was already popular since at least CoD 2, it just exploded on Modern Warfare. But yeah, maybe Half-Life would be a better comparison.

YukiHerz said:

Doom 3 isn't linear?

It is, I was talking about the vehicle sections.
Literally straight lines.

Not too fond of the vehicle levels, but that sentence makes it sound like all rail shooters suck because they are almost always straight lines.

YukiHerz said:

but that sentence makes it sound like all rail shooters suck because they are almost always straight lines.

In my opinion, they do.

quake 4 is pretty awesome overall, but has a few weakpoints, namely the driving bits and the soundtrack. i remember booting up, hearing the menu music, thinking this is dope, its quake!!! then the game starts and you have this bland soundtrack that is completely different in tone and style. what happened? also, talking buddies are pretty much always a fail in my book. only strauss was enjoyable to listen to, bc of his pretentious whining.

overall raven did a good job, there are just a few half baked design choices that sort of water down the package.

LkMax said:

In my opinion, they do.

It all depends :) I like House of the Dead and I accept it's linearity. When it comes to FPS games I like to have illusion that I'm not on rail, I mean most fps games got start point and exit on map. It's about how much freedom player have in taking right path/finding it, and how much scripted actions are in. For example I could have some fun with COD type game, but after one playthrough there is no room for improvement, I have seen everything and next time I will follow my foot-steps so close that it will not be fun for me.

Quake 4 has Peter Stormare so it wins by default.
I wish it had an expansion.
The main fault of the game is the slow opening. For the first 2-3 hours it's a bit boring.

I played it right after Call of Duty 2 (which I never finished because the Normandy levels are awful) and I thought this is pretty much CoD in space. I also liked it more than FEAR.

2005 was a really good year for FPS games...

Gzegzolka said:

It all depends :) I like House of the Dead and I accept it's linearity. When it comes to FPS games I like to have illusion that I'm not on rail, I mean most fps games got start point and exit on map. It's about how much freedom player have in taking right path/finding it, and how much scripted actions are in. For example I could have some fun with COD type game, but after one playthrough there is no room for improvement, I have seen everything and next time I will follow my foot-steps so close that it will not be fun for me.

That's my problem with COD, I really liked the first one, but it's formula only works once (in other words, it's not great in the end). After the second game each one seemed exactely like the previous one...
nah, now I remember I liked one rail shooter when I was a kid, it was one of three modes in Die Hard Trilogy 2, maybe I'm just getting old and picky in my early twenties. =P

SirKicksalot said:

I played it right after Call of Duty 2 (which I never finished because the Normandy levels are awful)

Hahaha, I see someone who never played Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (now THAT Normandy was awful).

Quake 4 has very amateurish art style. Monsters, weapons, tech - all looks like it was drawn by a schoolkid high on 90's cartoons. Doom 3 had both Adrian Carmack and Kennets Scott in the art team! It looks gorgeous and is much better in everything except gunplay.

Gameplay style, Quake 4 is like CoD while Doom 3 is like Half-Life 1. The former was fresh back then but the latter aged much better now.

I love Quake 4, fighting with the various Marines and the missions all gave the feeling of trying to invade a hostile world and overcoming the odds. Great experience.

D00M 3 just drains my soul after awhile.

I'm still not seeing how Q4 is like CoD, does it have regenerative health and two weapon limit for a few examples? The only similarity I see is the linearity. Quake 4 > any CoD game.

Avoozl said:

I'm still not seeing how Q4 is like CoD, does it have regenerative health and two weapon limit for a few examples? The only similarity I see is the linearity. Quake 4 > any CoD game.

Despite the very linear levels there's also too much "sir yes sir" moments where you are forced to stop and listen the uninteresting objectives some low level serjeant gives you (all the time).

LkMax said:

Despite the very linear levels there's also too much "sir yes sir" moments where you are forced to stop and listen the uninteresting objectives some low level serjeant gives you (all the time).

Regardless CoD is not the only FPS game series to do that.

Yes, because a lot of other games followed COD on that.
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about eventual contact with squad members and mission updates, I'm saying being interrupted by scripted bullshit every 10 minutes.

But how do you know they all followed CoD and that CoD was the first to do it? CoD games were very popular games which would make them more well known for doing the scripted events but that doesn't discount any lesser known games which may have came before it which would've done a similar thing, also it doesn't mean any other games around its time copied it, it would be a universal idea to put scripted events like that in games.