Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

PrBoom+ 2.6.66 (Jun 20, 2023)

2 hours ago, Ralphis said:

Does PR+ use "fullscreen windowed" for its fullscreen mode?

Yes, this fork does. The old v2.5.1.4/2.5.1.5 don't.

5 hours ago, Shepardus said:

I've noticed framerate drops from time to time when landing point-blank BFG shots, so it's not just you.

Oh goodness, count me too then, I have also noticed this massive performance hit from certain effects under specific conditions.

2 hours ago, Valboom said:

The automap may change in this fork?

Why would it?

32 minutes ago, seed said:

Perché dovrebbe?

I've noticed that a lot of people don't like it. maybe it's just my impression ...

10 minutes ago, fabian said:

BTW, this isn't just "the fork" anymore: http://prboom-plus.sourceforge.net/

It has not been for a while now.

Just people living in denial - should probably be reminded that even proff wanted to make it the canonical continuation of PrBoom after Andrey ran out of steam.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Non è passato un po 'di tempo.

Solo le persone che vivono nella negazione - probabilmente dovrebbe essere ricordato che anche il proff voleva renderlo la continuazione canonica di PrBoom dopo che Andrey si era esaurito.

I'm not one of those people.

13 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Is this just happening on my end, or does shooting the Plasma/BFG up close really chunk the framerate in Software mode? I started noticing how 2-shotting Cyberdemons felt weird. For example, starring at a wall I get 151 FPS, and shooting the Plasma Rifle drops me to as low as 59 in the same spot. This also happens in 3 different versions of the port I've checked and with transparency on and off. Can anyone else confirm or deny this happening at 1080p resolution and why this causes such a performance hit? 

Plasma riffle shots towards a near target squeeze every software renderer in every source port, due to a lot of overdraw.

Question: is it possible to omit the MAPxx text with the levelname variable in UMAPINFO? Say I wanted to name the levels like BTSX does, e.g. E1M01. Is there a way to do this or will it have to be deferred to a BEX patch?

I feel like there was a lot of talk over that a while back now. If I recall I think GZDoom couldn't do it for whatever reason? At the very least I believe it was considered unfeasible.

I recall the arguments were more from the standpoint that exposing this information is of use to the player somehow. I may be misremembering, but I didn't understand why it's important.

3 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

I recall the arguments were more from the standpoint that exposing this information is of use to the player somehow. I may be misremembering, but I didn't understand why it's important.

I just want my own naming scheme without it showing the actual lump names. That is, of course, unless PRBoom+/UMAPINFO starts to support custom map marker lump names, but I won't count on it.

I agree. I mean that I wasn't convinced by the arguments in favor of exposing the lump names like that when the conversation took place.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:46 PM, Da Werecat said:

Last time I found a new cosmetic feature it was as far back as 2.5.1.5, and it was an option to center the weapon while it's firing. I don't remember if I reported it or not, but it broke the second I introduced it to an unusual set of state properties. Namely, I used the sprite offset values, and the way I was using them caused no problems unless this new feature was enabled.

I don't think you reported it, at least I don't remember any discussion about this feature back then when it was introduced.

It is based on an early implementation from Crispy Doom (where it was changed a  lot since then and is still not without flaws, as @maxmanium points out here [1]). However, if you have a look at the code in src/r_things.c:R_DrawPSprite() you'll find the following condition

if (weapon_attack_alignment && viewplayer->attackdown && !psp->state->misc1)

which means that the weapon sprite coordinates are not even touched if the "weapon attack alignment" feature isn't enabled and if the sprite's position has been modified manually by setting the sprite state's `misc1` value. So, if you could please check again if this issue still occurs and then report it as a bug that would be a lot more useful than unleashing your frustration about the introduction of an entirely unrelated feature on the forums some five years later. ;)

[1] 

[2] https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/blob/55963075d6df5073ce43b404c65cf21661518743/prboom2/src/r_things.c#L973

1 hour ago, fabian said:

So, if you could please check again if this issue still occurs and then report it as a bug that would be a lot more useful than unleashing your frustration about the introduction of an entirely unrelated feature on the forums some five years later. ;)

It does occur in the latest build, I checked. And I was pretty certain that I wrote about it on the forum much earlier than this week, but it could've been that I drafted a report, then it slipped my mind.

I'll see about leaving it on github, I just need to take another look at my old test cases to give a more thorough explanation.

about the colored blood, and just guessing since i'm not at home to check.

Couldn't blood colour be handled through dehextra like DoomRetro allows?

Tangerine Nightmare, a limit removing mapset, has bex patch embeded on the wad and it has a DoomRetro especific string at the bottom that changes Cacodemon's blood to other colour.

So if this version of PrBoom+ allows that, one can make port especific features, obviously, dependant on the colorpal at use.

I think thats would be useful if is not yet implemented.

EDIT: one way to solve the problem of the wad especific colored blood is that it could be toggleable from the command line; something like ''-colored_blood 0/1'' to no or to yes will solve everything and will be use for example for the vast majority of wads out there, but will also be useful to play REKKR.wad -complevel udoom -colored_blood 0.

Or Freedoom2.wad -colored_blood 0.

I think that would be an interesting addition that will solve most ''toggle-ing'' on it.

Edited by P41R47

I can see that it uses translation tables that can be replaced. Unfortunately, these are the same tables that fonts use, which is constraining.

Would it be possible for certain QOL command line parameters (like -pistolstart) to be added at some point in the future? I'm mainly referring to the ones Crispy adds, and I like the idea of configuring the port without a bloated options menu (looking at you GZDoom).

18 minutes ago, Phytolizer said:

Would it be possible for certain QOL command line parameters (like -pistolstart) to be added at some point in the future? I'm mainly referring to the ones Crispy adds, and I like the idea of configuring the port without a bloated options menu (looking at you GZDoom).

https://github.com/coelckers/prboom-plus/commit/9ead2ffa048c70139497d7414381996057be5e22

Anyone is having problems playing Nihility - Infinity Teeth?

PrBoom+ crahses without even starting showing Signal 11 advice

Using built v2.6

Works without problem on Chocolate, Crispy and Doom Retro :/

Edited by P41R47