Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

🍦 BIG Vanilla Doom Wad Pack! REV. 16 - May 24th, 2022 [Maximum Doom the way 'Kid Did]

can you also add aoddoom both doom 1&2, enslave, brutaldeh,d4tdeh, rebirth midi pack, tnt midi pack,demonfear midi pack,update d64d2,master levels midi pack,no rest of the living midi pack, ultimate midi pack,hostage3,herian,tv1998 midi pack, and chex quest 1&2 and wads

To clarify, if Chocolate Doom runs it, it means it's compatible with the DOS original too? I tested my nonsense with Choco, not DOSBox.

Well, to be fair to Darkone, a few of those are pretty cool and are still missing, particularly the MIDI packs, so I’ll add whatever isn’t there. I’m pretty sure the D64D2 copy in the pack is the most up to date version, but ones like TNTR I’ll have to look into.. Its a lot to keep track of, lol. Plus I’m kind of worried about the file size - the addition of some great wads I was missing (particularly BTSX 2 and Deathless) has pushed it right up to the edge of still fitting on a single CD..! I could make it a 2-disc thing I suppose though.. there’s no shortage of good vanilla wads.. decisions, decisions.

8 hours ago, Muusi said:

OOF That's a lot of Vanilla! Excellent work holy crap!

My PlayStation Doom sound effects WAD (PSXFXDEH) lacks the DEHACKED file as i forgot to add it separately in the download. It's in the WAD itself but to my knowledge DOS can't load DEH lumps from inside the WAD. What do we do here?

Don’t worry - next update ill extract the DEH so it’s included alongside the WAD as well as inside, for the sake of universal compat

EDIT: Also yes, testing in chocolate is basically the same as testing in vanilla! If it works in one it work in the other, with very very few exceptions.

On 6/30/2021 at 1:59 AM, Doomkid said:

a simple vanilla mapping contest

This sounds like it would be fun. I have no idea how much time I'd have, but I'd at the very least love to see this happen.

You're tempting too much to play this entire thing on Doom RETRO.

Spoiler

Please, continue.

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Plus I’m kind of worried about the file size - the addition of some great wads I was missing (particularly BTSX 2 and Deathless) has pushed it right up to the edge of still fitting on a single CD..! I could make it a 2-disc thing I suppose though.. there’s no shortage of good vanilla wads.. decisions, decisions.

Maybe you can put Ultimate Doom on one disc and Doom II and Final Doom on the other?

Just checked the files Darkone205 recommended. There were a handful of good wads that aren't in the pack like AOD Doom, Nihility, Enslave, so I'm glad.. although not only is my copy of D64D2 fully up to date, so is TNTR - or at the very least, they match the idgames versions.

On 6/30/2021 at 6:59 PM, Doomkid said:

BETA-SSG.wad/.deh by Wavy

Just realised that you added this in. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Wavy said:

Just realised that you added this in. Thanks!

ive been playing trough the beta with your mod honestely its the best ive seen all the other ones i saw either add the super shotgun reload or they add stuff like black gloves with i dislike

8 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

ive been playing trough the beta with your mod honestely its the best ive seen all the other ones i saw either add the super shotgun reload or they add stuff like black gloves with i dislike

Thanks! I've been thinking about creating a beta Doom 2 recreation mod for vanilla 1.9 including the mini-masterminds and other beta Doom 2 monsters.

Hey, @Doomkid. Many many thanks for compiling this and then time you keep spending on maintaining the package.

I have took my time to finally appreciate the distro fairly recently, and it turns out that between my downloading it and coming back to the board with some notes several new releases have been published, including the latest one which has changed the layout. I still want to share some notes I made for the old release, even if not all of them may be useful for current state of the pack.

Spoiler

Doom 1 

Mario.pk3 port was included in Doom 1 but from the description it seemed that it was a Doom 2 mod

OU-FIX was present but not original OTTAWA wad for which the fix was done

fullon.bat and txt when only fullonl.wad is included

kansam4 readme - looks like a left over, as kansamse.wad is included, not kansam4.wad

xeno11 has additional assets (skies), so probably worth putting in a separate folder?

Doom2

psound.wad is just lying around, which belongs to K_I_L_A.wad distribution. Worth putting into a separate folder?

DSV suggests to use RETRES for boom, for convenience would it be possible to bundle it with DSV or as a resource that is part of the package?

hellrun sits in both doom2 and doom1; worth splitting doom1 and doom2 wads into separate folders?

twilight I have done only limited testing with smmu, and not vanilla and it has legacy written all over it and even legacy distro, so a bit confused 

nemisis does not have a directory of its own, but needs deusf inflation for vanilla, so worth keeping it in a separate folder and adding deusf.exe?

flame - not sure about this one; it seems to add both weapon and multiplayer maps, so wondering if it should sit in single or dm folders

Also as a suggestion, do you think pleiades3.wad is worth including?

16 minutes ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

Hey, @Doomkid. Many many thanks for compiling this and then time you keep spending on maintaining the package.

I have took my time to finally appreciate the distro fairly recently, and it turns out that between my downloading it and coming back to the board with some notes several new releases have been published, including the latest one which has changed the layout. I still want to share some notes I made for the old release, even if not all of them may be useful for current state of the pack.

Thanks so much - this kind of feedback helps me immensely! Funny that you and Muusi happened to comment just now, I'm working on adding a whole heap of new wads as we speak.

OU-FIX was present but not original OTTAWA wad for which the fix was done
fullon.bat and txt when only fullonl.wad is included
kansam4 readme - looks like a left over, as kansamse.wad is included, not kansam4.wad
xeno11 has additional assets (skies), so probably worth putting in a separate folder?
psound.wad is just lying around, which belongs to K_I_L_A.wad distribution. Worth putting into a separate folder?
DSV suggests to use RETRES for boom, for convenience would it be possible to bundle it with DSV or as a resource that is part of the package?
hellrun sits in both doom2 and doom1; worth splitting doom1 and doom2 wads into separate folders?
twilight I have done only limited testing with smmu, and not vanilla and it has legacy written all over it and even legacy distro, so a bit confused
nemisis does not have a directory of its own, but needs deusf inflation for vanilla, so worth keeping it in a separate folder and adding deusf.exe?

Taking all these notes on board and will make the necessary fixes, adjustments or additions (the others not mentioned have already been addressed). Regarding TWILIGHT specifically, I realized it wasn't vanilla over a year ago.. I guess I just forgot to take it out and so it's remained in for all this time. D'oh!

Also, I'll be adding pleiades3.wad with the roundup I'm currently doing. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

8 minutes ago, Muusi said:

@Doomkid Could you include Consoledoom.wad? Great fun taking maps from PSX Doom and Doom 64, compatible with vanilla, of course.

Great suggestion, added.

@ludicrous_peridot I'm doing some more additions to the pack at the moment (including all the stuff @Pregador mentioned) and just wanted to clarify a few things while they're fresh in my mind - I think I might keep the "fullon" and "kamsam4" text files hanging around just to give players the actual timestamp for the maps in question, though in the case of fullon there was no reason to keep the .BAT around so I deleted it as you suggested.

Additionally, re: "nemisis" for Doom2 needing DEUSF inflation, there are actually at least 20-30 wads knocking about in this pack that aren't in their own dirs which similarly require inflation - I basically just added a line about "if Doom hangs, try using DEUSF" line in the overall textfile (or something to that effect) as an attempt at a catch-all from troubleshooting. I know it sucks to have to quit Doom if a wad hangs due to not being inflated, but there are just so many files that require it mixed in, that trying to get them all into their own directories would be like trying to find needles in haystacks.. I know it's less than ideal, but it's the main reason the final version of DEUSF is included in the main directory of the pack, so people can always have it at the ready if a wad hangs at startup.

Just wanted to lay out the reasoning here, since it bares explaining. Maybe I will go through and find each wad that requires inflation at some point and put them all in their own dirs with a copy of DEUSF..

Every other thing you mentioned has been fixed/adjust accordingly as of now, the changes will be reflected in the next build!

Can you add Sailor Moon Doom to the mods section? I've been too lazy to install it correctly but I'm sure that including a version that would run easily in modern ports would only involve running the included EXE in DosBox, and it's one of the more comprehensive and hilarious early 90's asset replacements.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:30 AM, punch you in the face man said:

Can you add Sailor Moon Doom to the mods section? I've been too lazy to install it correctly but I'm sure that including a version that would run easily in modern ports would only involve running the included EXE in DosBox, and it's one of the more comprehensive and hilarious early 90's asset replacements.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:36 AM, Pregador said:

Forgot about this one:Deimos Immaculated (for Doom 1)

2 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Have you considered perhaps adding FreeDM Classic Edition to the Deathmatch lineup?

1 hour ago, Darkone205 said:

add biotech2 and mutabor

Added all of these! Plus re-packed SMDOOM for both vanilla and source ports. (Mutabor is already included in the pack)

On 7/8/2021 at 7:42 PM, Doomkid said:

Just wanted to lay out the reasoning here, since it bares explaining. Maybe I will go through and find each wad that requires inflation at some point and put them all in their own dirs with a copy of DEUSF..

Every other thing you mentioned has been fixed/adjust accordingly as of now, the changes will be reflected in the next build!

Thanks for elaborating on this @Doomkid. I've reread KANSAMSE.TXT more attentively and get your point now. It's curious that original version used a tool PINO.EXE to patch level names into DOOM2.EXE, but this has been scrapped by the time the SE version was released. How many level name patching tools did one need back in the days!

Couple other things I want to suggest, again relevant for the older version I was dealing with.

Appreciate this may be in different state now, but I will unlikely have a chance to check the up to date distro anytime soon, and to be honest haven't checked all the posts in this topic.

1. For Simpsons Doom 2 I found it less convenient that there were 2 deh files, one of which was seemingly fixing sound problems, whereas for most other wads, such fix patches were integrated into a single deh together with mod itself (e.g. in Batman). So I did a combined version of the patch for my convenience, which is also aimed at v1.9 Doom II and uses text deh format. Are you interested in my sharing this deh?

2. Do you still have trouble with D2XTREME and D2XGOLD? I think I figured out the problem was with level names and intermission text and changed those slightly for both, so both mods run with v1.9 Doom II. Again will gladly share if there's interest. 

Please do share both the Simpsons DEH fix and D2X fixes, I’d be incredibly grateful for both of those.

I would like to ask a question out of curiosity: has the original Kansam9.wad been removed from the archive due copyright issues or, simply, due annoying sounds/fx as stated in kansamse.txt?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Dooomkid, how you doing?

Don't know if this count, but Demonfear MidiPack could work, as i intended it to be for vanilla.
But don't know why, when i load it, it crash before first map start saying that STMINUS is not found... and thats strange, since i didn't touched the Satus bar or the STNumbers at all :/

It work without problem on Chocolate, but crash vanilla for some reason :S

Could you lend me a hand with it?
Its the only reason why i still didn't uploaded it to /idgames.