Oh, alright then...

Anthrax - I am the law

Megadeth - Hangar 18

Slayer - Raining Blood

Metallica - The Call of Ktulu 

And because I don't know Testament...

Hysterica - Girls made of Heavy Metal

Proppa metal!

I don't get why Anthrax was ever popular. They're awful. I like some of Testament's material, but a lot of it is just meh to me. 

1 hour ago, [McD]James said:

I don't get why Anthrax was ever popular. They're awful. I like some of Testament's material, but a lot of it is just meh to me. 

Not a big fan either, but you have to give credit to Scott Ian - he is a rock solid rhythm guitar player, one of the best.

Hardcore Metallica fans likely see this as treason punishable by death, but this slightly modified cover version of the entire St. Anger album is legitimately one of my favourite thrash albums:

I see some people in the YT comments about how people “can’t admit the songs are still bad” lol. Guess my ears are screwed on wrong. Then again I’m that one Morbid Angel fan who genuinely likes Illud Divinum In-Anus as a departure from their normal style. I hate how bands all inevitably end up shoehorned into one very specific style.. [/hardly related rant]

48 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Not a big fan either, but you have to give credit to Scott Ian - he is a rock solid rhythm guitar player, one of the best.

He's written some decent poker articles. That's where my credit begins and ends. 

I just find this really funny, it's not like I ever liked Metallica anyway. They're playing so god damn slow, like Slowhand Clapton, and their music feels like they make music for 11 year old girls who want to feel like they have a good taste in music because they started in the 80's. And the music on their first album was stolen from another musician anyway. It's pathetic. And it's why their debut album is the only one I like. Fuck you Metallica, seriously.

4 hours ago, [McD]James said:

Anthrax definitely isn't awful by any means, I can get not liking their music, but to say Anthrax music is awful as a whole makes it sound like their musically inept. For all kings is pretty lame though.

Testament has 2 good albums (The Legacy and The New Order) but the rest of their albums were kinda lame. The Legacy is still one of my favorite thrash albums of all time though with its entire Dark Fantasy theme.

Metallica's first 4 albums are pretty good but the rest are just mediocre or lame, and Load is just terrible.

Megadeth is fine, Peace Sells and Rust in Peace are pretty good, but the late 90s onwards was kinda sucked when Megadeth started to make disco songs and shit.

Slayer is pretty good too, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven and Seasons where all great but their most popular album (Reign in Blood) just sounds the same for most of it with a few stand out songs.

Exodus just feels like they try too hard to be edgy with songs like Black List and Shroud of Urine, Bonded by Blood has some great riffs and solos but the whole album felt so try hard edgy with lyrics about how Exodus is so edgy that they'll go out and kill you and rape your wife as well as weird lyrics about Loki sending piranhas out to mutilate people.

Honestly IMO I think Dark Angel should replace Metallica or something for the big 4 since they dont even really make thrash, and haven't made thrash metal since like 1988.

Way too many people say that they used to download pirated content, but since then they have reformed and bought everything of it. I wonder how many are those who keep using the pirated content, because they already have it, no point spending money for what they already have... They're probably silent, because it's banworthy to condone warezing on public forums.

Second, on the legal digital media vs. CD debate: I find the advantages of owning CDs pointless. If you want the nice CD booklet, instead you can just go to Wikipedia for similar info. Otherwise you still have the full music, without all the hassle of crappy old tech.

Third, about digital streaming: just what the hell are you complaining about? Digital streamers like Apple Music offer about 99.9% of the music (the remaining 00.1% music can be bought digitally from owners) and the price is a "steal" (yeah, I wonder if it's really of any significance to artists).

16 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Nah, it was "Of Wolf and Man" on the Black Album like intacowetrust said.   Now I finally known that it's "Back to the meaning."  I always heard it as "Back to the meeting" since I heard it in the 90's.

Lol I always heard/sing it as "Back to the beating" myself.  Then again I never pay attention to the lyrics in music anyway.

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I hate how bands all inevitably end up shoehorned into one very specific style.. [/hardly related rant]

Tbh I think fans would be less toxic of this if they were good at something else too.

But too many bands out there try something else and the results are often abysmal. Can be tiring to see cool bands turn to shit because they want to do something other than what they are clearly good at, but such dinosaur balls at the new thing...

Speaking of which, IMO Morbid Angel stopped being great after Vincent left, they've still made some competent albums afterwards but never came close to the classics. And after Divinus they went south completely.

Edited by seed

Everyone here is talking about the Big Four, and they're great, don't get me wrong, but doesn't anyone here remember the Teutonic Trio too?

Haven't heard much of Destruction unfortunatly, but I've heard this album is pretty good. EDIT: Finally heard a couple of their albums, they are excellent too!

Edited by DSC

2 hours ago, DSC said:

Everyone here is talking about the Big Four, and they're great, don't get me wrong, but doesn't anyone here remember the Teutonic Trio too?

Also missing Tankard IMO

1 minute ago, Soulless said:

Dont forget about Exhumer @Doominator2, Possessed by Fire is classic overshadowed the ones already mentioned.

Exhumed are great too. Fun fact, the colors on the background of Possessed By Fire resemble the colors of the German flag!

@doominator You didn't like The Gathering? That album was probably the best thing they've ever done.

@DSC Of course I do, Sodom is my favorite band. I've always thought of it as the German four, as I'd place Sodom, Destruction, and Tankard above Kreator. Kreator is a great band, but they've put out a few clunkers and they were lackluster when I saw them.

11 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Hey, what about Iron Maiden? And Diamond Head even? Both of those bands were a major influence in Metal, seriously.

They're not Thrash but just "Traditional Heavy Metal". But yeah Maiden and Diamond Head rule.

@AtticTelephone, adding to what Doominator said, those bands were part of the NWOBHM movement, which was a gigantic influence in thrash metal. They are not 100% pure thrash, but its a very understandable error to make.

10 minutes ago, DSC said:

those bands were part of the NWOBHM movement, which was a gigantic influence in thrash metal. They are not 100% pure thrash, but its a very understandable error to make.

Oh, alright, makes sense. I didn't study the history of metal, so sometimes I can't really tell what's truly thrash or isn't, for example, I think Iron Maiden's Di'anno albums and a few Diamond Head songs are faster than regular heavy metal, which leads me to assume it's thrash metal, even though that may not be correct. Thanks for correcting me.

5 minutes ago, AtticTelephone said:

Oh, alright, makes sense. I didn't study the history of metal, so sometimes I can't really tell what's truly thrash or isn't, for example, I think Iron Maiden's Di'anno albums and a few Diamond Head songs are faster than regular heavy metal, which leads me to assume it's thrash metal, even though that may not be correct. Thanks for correcting me.

No problem! Although, sometimes genre classification in metal gets very confusing. You can find countless discussions online of if said band is said genre or not. In fact, its a bit of an infamous subject in the metal community. Truth be told, the only thing that matters in the end is that its good!

Oh goodness that album was quite... something.

It's like a big elephant in a room - except that it never moves, does nothing, and never leaves. It features some crazy guitar work but otherwise I found it supremely boring.

Haven’t listened to that album, this is my first taste of it. Pretty distinctly different from old Morbid, but I still thought it was pretty damn good

I refuse to believe Eric Rutan produced that album. Decent songs but the guitar tone is godawful. 

...and Metallica thread turned into Morbid Angel one. sic transit gloria mundi...